May 11, 2013, 11:14 PM EST
USA Today Sports Images
Stephen Strasburg was brilliant for four innings, then awful in the fifth.
Game in a nutshell: Everything looked great for four innings, especially for Stephen Strasburg, who was dominating like he hadn't at any previous point this season. And then … complete meltdown in the fifth inning. Ryan Zimmerman committe another throwing error on a routine play, and Strasburg couldn't pick up his teammate. He let the Cubs score four runs (all unearned) before the inning ended, then was unceremoniously yanked by manager Davey Johnson. Zach Duke tried to put out the fire but only added fuel, giving up four more runs in the sixth. The rest was inconsequential, with the Nationals slogging their way through the remainder of the afternoon and suffering one of their least-inspiring losses of the season, bringing an unsightly end to their five-game winning streak.
Fielding lowlight: Any breakdown of today's game has to include the play that completely shifted momentum: Zimmerman'sRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres