May 11, 2013, 11:14 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Stephen Strasburg was brilliant for four innings, then awful in the fifth.
Game in a nutshell: Everything looked great for four innings, especially for Stephen Strasburg, who was dominating like he hadn't at any previous point this season. And then … complete meltdown in the fifth inning. Ryan Zimmerman committe another throwing error on a routine play, and Strasburg couldn't pick up his teammate. He let the Cubs score four runs (all unearned) before the inning ended, then was unceremoniously yanked by manager Davey Johnson. Zach Duke tried to put out the fire but only added fuel, giving up four more runs in the sixth. The rest was inconsequential, with the Nationals slogging their way through the remainder of the afternoon and suffering one of their least-inspiring losses of the season, bringing an unsightly end to their five-game winning streak.
Fielding lowlight: Any breakdown of today's game has to include the play that completely shifted momentum: Zimmerman'sRead more »
NLDS: NATIONALS VS. GIANTS
SAT: Game 2 at Washington, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3 at San Francisco, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4 at San Francisco, TBA (FS1)*
THU: Game 5 at Washington, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals draw Giants in NLDS after Wild Card win
- Braves' hitting coach resigns after trying season
- Game thread: Giants-Pirates battle to face Nats in NLDS
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs