May 11, 2013, 11:14 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Stephen Strasburg was brilliant for four innings, then awful in the fifth.
Game in a nutshell: Everything looked great for four innings, especially for Stephen Strasburg, who was dominating like he hadn't at any previous point this season. And then … complete meltdown in the fifth inning. Ryan Zimmerman committe another throwing error on a routine play, and Strasburg couldn't pick up his teammate. He let the Cubs score four runs (all unearned) before the inning ended, then was unceremoniously yanked by manager Davey Johnson. Zach Duke tried to put out the fire but only added fuel, giving up four more runs in the sixth. The rest was inconsequential, with the Nationals slogging their way through the remainder of the afternoon and suffering one of their least-inspiring losses of the season, bringing an unsightly end to their five-game winning streak.
Fielding lowlight: Any breakdown of today's game has to include the play that completely shifted momentum: Zimmerman'sRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmerman rejoining Nats, likely to play Saturday
- Fister seeks win No. 15 tonight in Miami
- His thumb healthy, Harper tearing it up at plate
- Gonzalez makes case for postseason start
- Bryce, Gio continue late-season surge in 6-2 win
- NL Playoff Outlook: What stars will give the Nationals trouble?
- LaRoche gets extra day off to rest ailing back
- MLB Power Rankings: Tigers righting the ship
- Michael Jenkins takes walkoff pie to the face (VIDEO)
- Nats move on to Miami with Gio starting in hometown