May 11, 2013, 1:30 AM EST
Kurt Suzuki tags Starlin Castro on a third inning play at the plate.
Game in a nutshell: Riding high after a brief sweep of the Tigers, the Nationals really took it to the Cubs in the opener of their weekend series. Despite a lineup missing both Jayson Werth (hamstring) and Bryce Harper (toe), they pounded out seven quick runs off Chicago start Jeff Samardzija, with Adam LaRoche, Ian Desmond and Danny Espinosa leading the charge. Ross Detwiler wasn't in top form but certainly was good enough to earn the win. And Craig Stammen was effective in relief, closing out the Nats' fifth straight victory.
Hitting highlight: With Werth and Harper out of the lineup, several guys were bumped up a slot or two in Davey Johnson'sRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Phillies may target Cabrera to replace Rollins
- Significant moment No. 10: Roark makes rotation
- USO tour was "life-changing" for Nats' Fister
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series