May 11, 2013, 1:30 AM EST
Kurt Suzuki tags Starlin Castro on a third inning play at the plate.
Game in a nutshell: Riding high after a brief sweep of the Tigers, the Nationals really took it to the Cubs in the opener of their weekend series. Despite a lineup missing both Jayson Werth (hamstring) and Bryce Harper (toe), they pounded out seven quick runs off Chicago start Jeff Samardzija, with Adam LaRoche, Ian Desmond and Danny Espinosa leading the charge. Ross Detwiler wasn't in top form but certainly was good enough to earn the win. And Craig Stammen was effective in relief, closing out the Nats' fifth straight victory.
Hitting highlight: With Werth and Harper out of the lineup, several guys were bumped up a slot or two in Davey Johnson'sRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nationals sign outfielder McLouth to 2-year deal
- Phillies looking to trade CL Jonathan Papelbon
- Mariners sign Robinson Cano to 10-year, $240 million deal
- Point/Counterpoint: How good will Fister be?
- Sean Casey: Doug Fister is 'huge for the Nationals'
- Marlins sign Rafael Furcal, what are they up to?
- With Ellsbury & McCann, Yankees could be just getting started
- Report: Nats interested in lefty Scott Downs
- Market is thinning of left-handers
- Does Saltalamacchia show the Marlins are serious for 2014?