May 11, 2013, 1:30 AM EST
Kurt Suzuki tags Starlin Castro on a third inning play at the plate.
Game in a nutshell: Riding high after a brief sweep of the Tigers, the Nationals really took it to the Cubs in the opener of their weekend series. Despite a lineup missing both Jayson Werth (hamstring) and Bryce Harper (toe), they pounded out seven quick runs off Chicago start Jeff Samardzija, with Adam LaRoche, Ian Desmond and Danny Espinosa leading the charge. Ross Detwiler wasn't in top form but certainly was good enough to earn the win. And Craig Stammen was effective in relief, closing out the Nats' fifth straight victory.
Hitting highlight: With Werth and Harper out of the lineup, several guys were bumped up a slot or two in Davey Johnson'sRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmerman passes first test at first base
- Rendon reflects on first full pro season
- Giants lose Hunter Pence to significant injury
- Scherzer "happy" with first start of spring
- Braves' starter to see Dr. James Andrews about injury
- New addition scratched from Nationals debut
- Scherzer debuts as Nats open exhibition play
- Mets' Wheeler: 'I guarantee you we all saw what Bryce Harper said'
- After a trying year, Gwynn Jr. tries to come back
- Nationals players excited to see pitching staff in action