May 11, 2013, 1:30 AM EST
Kurt Suzuki tags Starlin Castro on a third inning play at the plate.
Game in a nutshell: Riding high after a brief sweep of the Tigers, the Nationals really took it to the Cubs in the opener of their weekend series. Despite a lineup missing both Jayson Werth (hamstring) and Bryce Harper (toe), they pounded out seven quick runs off Chicago start Jeff Samardzija, with Adam LaRoche, Ian Desmond and Danny Espinosa leading the charge. Ross Detwiler wasn't in top form but certainly was good enough to earn the win. And Craig Stammen was effective in relief, closing out the Nats' fifth straight victory.
Hitting highlight: With Werth and Harper out of the lineup, several guys were bumped up a slot or two in Davey Johnson'sRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- Report: All-Star catcher Lucroy has Nats on no-trade list
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Max Scherzer more important in Year 2
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: An important year for Wilson Ramos
- NL East: Phillies add new alternate uniform for 2016 (PHOTOS)
- NL East: Marlins interested in adding another starting pitcher
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Ben Revere fill void left by Span?