May 11, 2013, 1:30 AM EST
Kurt Suzuki tags Starlin Castro on a third inning play at the plate.
Game in a nutshell: Riding high after a brief sweep of the Tigers, the Nationals really took it to the Cubs in the opener of their weekend series. Despite a lineup missing both Jayson Werth (hamstring) and Bryce Harper (toe), they pounded out seven quick runs off Chicago start Jeff Samardzija, with Adam LaRoche, Ian Desmond and Danny Espinosa leading the charge. Ross Detwiler wasn't in top form but certainly was good enough to earn the win. And Craig Stammen was effective in relief, closing out the Nats' fifth straight victory.
Hitting highlight: With Werth and Harper out of the lineup, several guys were bumped up a slot or two in Davey Johnson'sRead more »
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Braves trade Hale, sign former Nats catcher
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Angels
- Nationals roster preview: Jose Lobaton
- 2015 outlook: Kansas City Royals
- Werth pleads guilty to reckless driving, will serve jail time
- Williams to host Super Bowl party with Mark Wahlberg & Michael Bay
- Report: Rafael Soriano in talks with AL East club
- Marlins introduce Ichiro in Japan: 'His body says he’s 30 or less'
- Nats roster preview: Wilson Ramos
- Phillies adjust front office as Gillick becomes full-time team president