May 11, 2013, 4:05 AM EDT
Ian Desmond gets high-fives after his fourth-inning home run.
Considering how much the Nationals as a whole were struggling to score runs not that long ago, the lack of both Bryce Harper and Jayson Werth from their lineup Friday night could easily have spelled disaster.
These days, though, the Nationals are getting contributions from just about every slot in their lineup, more than enough to overcome the losses of a couple of key starters.
So it was Friday that they pulled off a rather easy, 7-3 victory over the Cubs thanks not to the contributions of Harper or Werth, but of Ian Desmond and Danny Espinosa and Kurt Suzuki, who combined to drive in all of the Nats’ runs during the club’s fifth straight win.
“It’s big when your 3-hole hitter’s out of there and you score a bunch of runs,” manager Davey Johnson said. “That’s big.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Nats at Phillies, 7:15 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Phillies, 1:35 p.m.
MON: All-Star break
TUE: All-Star Game at Minneapolis, 8 p.m.
WED: All-Star break
THU: All-Star break
FRI: Brewers at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Harper homers but still battling out of slump
- Nats lose Zimmermann, fall to Phillies 6-2
- Zimmermann hopeful biceps cramp isn't serious
- Ian Desmond out but expects to return Saturday
- The Baseball Show: Analyzing the Nationals' first half
- Podcast: 'Baseball in the District' - CSNbaltimore's Rich Dubroff
- X-rays negative on Desmond's hand after shortstop left game
- Nats, Orioles see promise in Beltway Series ahead of Aug. 4 rematch
- Instant Analysis: Orioles 4, Nats 3
- Do the Nationals have a pitching ace? (VIDEO)