May 11, 2013, 3:00 AM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Jayson Werth hasn't played since May 2 in Atlanta.
Updated at 11:00 p.m.
The Nationals are planning to place outfielder Jayson Werth on the 15-day disabled list Saturday morning with what general manager Mike Rizzo termed a "very slight strain" of his right hamstring.
Werth hasn't played since May 2 in Atlanta, when he felt the hamstring tighten up while tracking a ball in right field, so the DL move can be backdated. He'd be eligible to return on May 18, and he expressed confidence he'll be completely healed by then.
"We feel like we're close, and I feel like it's really not that severe," Werth said after the Nationals' 7-3 win over the Cubs. "But it's one of those things, you go out there with the way it is and you might make it severe pretty quickly. Erring on the side of caution, but at the same time … I think it's necessary. Fortunately it'll only beRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Power Rankings: Which MLB stadium is the best?
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Nationals Stock Watch: Strasburg's road struggles continue
- Aaron Barrett wins patriotic staring contest before Nats-Rockies game
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies