May 11, 2013, 3:00 AM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Jayson Werth hasn't played since May 2 in Atlanta.
Updated at 11:00 p.m.
The Nationals are planning to place outfielder Jayson Werth on the 15-day disabled list Saturday morning with what general manager Mike Rizzo termed a "very slight strain" of his right hamstring.
Werth hasn't played since May 2 in Atlanta, when he felt the hamstring tighten up while tracking a ball in right field, so the DL move can be backdated. He'd be eligible to return on May 18, and he expressed confidence he'll be completely healed by then.
"We feel like we're close, and I feel like it's really not that severe," Werth said after the Nationals' 7-3 win over the Cubs. "But it's one of those things, you go out there with the way it is and you might make it severe pretty quickly. Erring on the side of caution, but at the same time … I think it's necessary. Fortunately it'll only beRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m. TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper rediscovers his hitting stroke
- Nationals need win today to avoid losing road trip
- Depleted Nationals lineup shut out by Marlins
- Nationals can't fight back against Marlins, lose 3-0
- Werth out but says ankle sprain isn't serious
- Strasburg takes mound for big start vs. Marlins
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start
- Around the NL East: Which team will make a big splash via trade?
- After meltdown, Nationals must bounce back
- Werth hopes to play Tuesday after spraining ankle