Werth going on DL, Perez coming to D.C.

May 11, 2013, 3:00 AM EDT

USA Today Sports Images
Jayson Werth hasn't played since May 2 in Atlanta.

Updated at 11:00 p.m.

The Nationals are planning to place outfielder Jayson Werth on the 15-day disabled list Saturday morning with what general manager Mike Rizzo termed a "very slight strain" of his right hamstring.

Werth hasn't played since May 2 in Atlanta, when he felt the hamstring tighten up while tracking a ball in right field, so the DL move can be backdated. He'd be eligible to return on May 18, and he expressed confidence he'll be completely healed by then.

"We feel like we're close, and I feel like it's really not that severe," Werth said after the Nationals' 7-3 win over the Cubs. "But it's one of those things, you go out there with the way it is and you might make it severe pretty quickly. Erring on the side of caution, but at the same time … I think it's necessary. Fortunately it'll only beRead more ยป

1. Just wonderin' - May 10, 2013 at 9:47 PM

2. Just wonderin' - May 10, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Reiterating something I wrote on the game thread, if Bryce can recover in just a day from having an ingrown toenail removed — I've been there twice and it's incredibly painful — he is a much better man that I am. But, then again, he's a young, strong, professional athlete.

3. JaneB - May 10, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Mend fast boys. Looking forward to meeting Jeff or seeing Eury again. Both sound like good options.

4. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 11, 2013 at 1:19 AM

actually his homer was Wednesday.

5. peric - May 11, 2013 at 3:07 AM

Be interesting to see how Davey uses Perez this time. Hopefully, he doesn't get a brain fart and end up banished to the back of the bench this time.

6. peric - May 11, 2013 at 3:32 AM

The big news for tonight … Davey pronounced it twitter instead of "tweeter". I'm kind of sad I liked it when he called it "tweeter".

7. sjm308 - May 11, 2013 at 3:53 AM

Thanks to natsfan1a – not only did she add the extra box, but put his name in and the drink I owed.What Jason needs, along with whatever therapy they are doing right now (which I assume is flexiblity and maybe a slight bit of electric stim) is massage therapy and kinesio-taping. Not sure its offered this year though. Davey won with just 23 men tonight, he certainly will be happy to have 25 tomorrow. I can't imagine playing Harper either but I guess being 20 conquers a lot of issues.JaneB – did I read you are going to be in LA? I just finalized my tickets for San Francisco!! So excited. Sec 104 row X. I will wear Red instead of the traveling Blue because I want to make sure we stand out. It would be great if my Red Home Hat with the curly W was still on but that would be one impressive winning streak. So far it has lasted 8 days but that includes the 2 days off, and the rained out game as well. Want to have it on for Mothers Day because that would mean we would already have won another series.Go Nats!!

8. Doc - May 11, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I'm kinda surprised that Harps can make do with 1 game off, post hangnail surgery.Here's a good ol' home remedy to avoiding hang-nail surgery, which I've escaped from on several occasions. Clip a V in the middle of the nail. This forces the edges of the nail to grow towards the middle. This procedure takes pressure off the hang-nail portion(s) and helps to return the nail to its' natural non-hangnail growing format. Big time better than the operation. The nail starts the recovery process immediately, even it takes a few weeks to finish.I've seen people take weeks to recover from the operation, albeit they weren't physical specimens like Harps.

9. JT - May 11, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Vegas puts the odds at 4-1 that Harper will not play until the Nats begin the road trip.

10. natsfan1a - May 11, 2013 at 12:39 PM

You're welcome, sjm. Re. road trips, we're hoping to make it to at least one game in Denver.Me, too, re. "tweeter." :-)

11. Joe Seamhead - May 11, 2013 at 3:29 PM

@NationalsPR: During his 7-game hitting streak, Adam LaRoche is hitting .524 (11-for-21). Throw in his 6 BBs and Adam's OBP is .607 during the streak.———————–Not exactly dead weight.

12. ehay2k - May 11, 2013 at 7:16 PM

13. ehay2k - May 11, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Hmm, got a hamstring issue, and you're doing leg curls? Unless you are using very light weight just to test the muscle, it just seems like the exact wrong exercise to do. I was always told to go easy on the strained muscle, not work it with weights.Perthaps it's a gluten-free thing? Actually, I wish the Nats would go Douoguih-free. They just seem to have a recurring problem where an injury is diagnosed as minor, then it turns out to be bad. Flores, Zimm, ALR, Esp I, the list goes on and on. Weimi is the constant.