May 12, 2013, 8:26 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Gio Gonzalez pitched seven scoreless innings but didn't get the win.
Game in a nutshell: Gio Gonzalez was absolutely brilliant, carrying a perfect game into the sixth and completing seven scoreless innings on 86 pitches. The Nationals, though, only led 1-0 at the time, so Davey Johnson elected to pinch-hit for his starter in the bottom of the seventh and entrust the game to his bullpen. Drew Storen immediately surrendered the tying run in the top of the eighth on a pair of singles, a sac bunt and a foul pop-up that advanced a runner. Rafael Soriano then gave up the go-ahead run in the ninth after a pair of singles and then a surprise double steal on which catcher Kurt Suzuki's throw was spiked into the ground and bounced down the left-field line. The Nationals couldn't mount one last-ditch rally and wound up suffering a very disappointing series loss to the last-place Cubs.
Hitting lowlight: There was a highlight, one of them: Ryan Zimmerman's RBI double off the right-field wall to score DenardRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs
- MLB postseason begins tonight: Wild Card playoff preview
- 5 questions facing the Nationals in the postseason
- Nats finding ways to stay sharp (VIDEO)
- Games 1 and 2 at Nationals Park will be matinees
- Revisiting Opening Day predictions on the Nats
- Zimmermann named NL Player of the Week for 2nd time this year