May 12, 2013, 8:26 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Gio Gonzalez pitched seven scoreless innings but didn't get the win.
Game in a nutshell: Gio Gonzalez was absolutely brilliant, carrying a perfect game into the sixth and completing seven scoreless innings on 86 pitches. The Nationals, though, only led 1-0 at the time, so Davey Johnson elected to pinch-hit for his starter in the bottom of the seventh and entrust the game to his bullpen. Drew Storen immediately surrendered the tying run in the top of the eighth on a pair of singles, a sac bunt and a foul pop-up that advanced a runner. Rafael Soriano then gave up the go-ahead run in the ninth after a pair of singles and then a surprise double steal on which catcher Kurt Suzuki's throw was spiked into the ground and bounced down the left-field line. The Nationals couldn't mount one last-ditch rally and wound up suffering a very disappointing series loss to the last-place Cubs.
Hitting lowlight: There was a highlight, one of them: Ryan Zimmerman's RBI double off the right-field wall to score DenardRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win
- Gonzalez, Nats win pitchers duel on another walk-off
- Nats' Zimmerman takes significant step in recovery
- Nationals aim for team record 10th straight win vs. D-Backs
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance
- Young guns bat, slide Nationals to ninth-straight win