May 12, 2013, 1:39 AM EDT
Ryan Zimmerman’s throwing issue is a concern for the Nationals, no question about it, especially when that issue directly impacts the outcome of a ballgame the way it did Saturday afternoon during an 8-2 loss to the Cubs on South Capitol Street.
But the greater concern for the Nationals right now is the man who was on the mound when Zimmerman committed his latest throwing error, the man expected to lead this pitching staff and pick up his teammates when one of them makes a mistake. Stephen Strasburg wasn’t able to do that on Saturday, and he hasn’t been able to do that much at all during what has become a shockingly difficult 2013 season to date for the Nationals’ presumptive ace.
“He’s too good a pitcher to let adversity behind him let him down,” manager Davey Johnson said. “He’s certainly capable of picking us up. It’s a team effort. And errors are a part of the game.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- A rocky two years: Matt Williams' tenure as Nats manager
- Cross Scioscia off list of potential Nats manager candidates
- Rizzo on firing Williams as manager: 'A tough day'
- Nats leaning toward manager with experience
- Report: Nats will look at Cal Ripken for managerial job
- Jordan Zimmermann releases touching statement thanking DC
- Could Nats hire Francona or Scioscia as manager?
- Denard Span supports fired Nationals coach on Twitter
- Updated: Nats clean house with coaching staff, hope some return
- Matt Williams fired after 2 seasons as Nats manager