Game 39: Nats at Dodgers

May 14, 2013, 10:08 PM EDT

USA Today Sports Images
The Nats and Dodgers meet again tonight in Los Angeles.

OK, 10 bucks to anyone who correctly predicted the Nationals, on May 14, would be starting an outfield of Steve Lombardozzi, Eury Perez and Tyler Moore. Such is life when Bryce Harper and Jayson Werth are injured and Denard Span gets a night off against one of the toughest lefties in baseball: Clayton Kershaw.

Though Harper didn't suffer any major injuries in his collision with the wall last night, he probably needs a night (or two) off. Knowing him, I'm sure he'll be trying to convince Davey Johnson he can pinch-hit late should the situation arise.

Dan Haren gets the start for the Nationals, seeking (incredibly) his fifth win. If he can pull that off tonight, he'll have really earned it.

As you know, I'm not on this trip, but please don't let that stop you from continuing the conversation here…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at LOS ANGELES DODGERS
Where: Dodger Stadium
Gametime: 10:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 187
Weather: Clear, 69 degrees, Wind 6 mph out to CF

2B Danny Espinosa
LF Steve Lombardozzi
SS Ian Desmond

1. Steady Eddie - May 14, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Reverse lock outfield for the Nats tonight!

2. Eugene in Oregon - May 14, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Forgive me if someone has already posted this, but it's a great new graphic from the NYT highlighting the number (and particularly the cost) of MLB players on the DL at any given time.http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/05/13/sports/baseball/money-on-the-bench.html?hp&hp

3. Steady Eddie - May 14, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Question for the night: how many times will RZim come up with anyone on base? Bonus: how many times will the runner on base be Haren?I hope this gets interesting instead of boring.

4. SCNatsFan - May 14, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Davey's faith in espi boggles ky mind. Why we continue to get him as many abs as possible is simply ridiculous; as ridiculous as playing Lombo as a left fielder. I'm hoping but tonight is the reverse lock.

5. Joe Seamhead - May 14, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Well Mr Baseball should be happy with Moore in RF. I hope Tyler knocks the snot out of the ball. The only one in the that OF that doesn't worry me is Perez.

6. Joe Seamhead - May 14, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Are we just conceding this game?

7. EmDash - May 14, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Yeah, this definitely feels one small step short of conceding. Moore and Lombo in the outfield, at the same time! Lombo's arm in right! With Haren generally getting a lot of fly balls, this could get pretty ugly.

8. JaneB - May 14, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Headed to the stadium with Danny Ellienosa in 3 hours and two minutes. But who's counting?GYFNG!

9. A DC Wonk - May 14, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Joe Seamhead said… Are we just conceding this game?Well, good time to give some lefty batters a break.But, yeah, this lineup, with Haren pitching . . . put me down also for hoping on the reverse lock.

10. 5c3cd06e-cef8-11e1-abe6-000bcdcb2996 - May 14, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Except for Perez today's outfield is scary. Moore and Lombo throw like women and have the fielding instincts of Stephen Hawking.

11. mbfields - May 14, 2013 at 10:29 PM

@Steady Eddie -Answer: One (Lombo walks once)Bonus Answer: None

12. Candide - May 14, 2013 at 10:30 PM

The Dodgers can't possibly lose against this lineup.There. The jinx is in.

13. Joe Seamhead - May 14, 2013 at 10:34 PM

LOL, CANDIDE!

14. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 14, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Finally we have ESPI in position to go 5 for 5

15. Secret wasian man - May 14, 2013 at 10:41 PM

And those no way the Caps can lose to the Rangers. Whoops too late. Go Nats.

16. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 14, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Mabe our hitters can help JZim tonight bt getting some runs against Kershaw as he has edged ahead of JZim in the ERA race.

17. Secret wasian man - May 14, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Gee wiz Davey. If your gonna concede a game at least wait until Stras is pitching.

18. Doc - May 14, 2013 at 10:44 PM

With Kershaw pitching, I guess we are conceding the game!

19. UnkyD - May 14, 2013 at 10:52 PM

We concede NOTHING!!! Every single man in our lineup, tonight, is a Professional Major League Ballplayer…..KERSHAW WHO?!?!?

20. ehay2k - May 14, 2013 at 11:00 PM

against the Dodgers, every game is winnable.

21. Candide - May 14, 2013 at 11:00 PM

I said… The Dodgers can't possibly lose against this lineup.Hey, it worked a few years ago. Teddy had a 100-yard lead in the presidents race. Coming around the right field foul pole, I was yelling, "He can't possibly lose!!!"And then he stopped to talk with Miss Iowa, who gave him a bouquet of roses…

22. Joe Seamhead - May 14, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Ok, I'm in! GYFNG!!!

23. Candide - May 14, 2013 at 11:02 PM

SCNatsFan said… Davey's faith in espi boggles ky mind.Boggles va, md, and dc minds, too.

24. NatsLady - May 14, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Hey, I'm a woman and I throw pretty d*** well. In fact, I have a JOB throwing newspapers (about 700 every Wednesday, which is a pretty high pitch count). I have good aim and two strong arms (have to throw papers about 50-50 right and left AND from a seated position in a moving vehicle). It's fun to watch guys watch me throw!!!!

25. 3on2out - May 14, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Eye chart didn't mean to offend, NatsLady. He hasn't coached women's softball like I have or seen you flip those papers. Women can bring it. Sadly, Lombo & TyMo can't!

26. ehay2k - May 14, 2013 at 11:43 PM

is as bad as Willy Mo Peña. Biggest discrepancy between size of man and strength of throw I have ever seen, and likely ever will.

27. DannyEllinosa - May 14, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Lucky for me to be in LA working while the Nats are here! Not sure I get to show off my Shark hat looking at the lineup! And win or lose? At least I had a date here with JaneB! GYFNG!

28. Doc - May 14, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Ok, I get the spirit. Kershaw Who is about to take it on the chin—by our fantom punches!Go get 'em Nats!!!

29. David Proctor - May 14, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Greinke is starting tomorrow night.

30. Harpo - May 14, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Danny Ellinosa, you can visit the best National resource in LA, The Ghost Of Steve M. Remember, he is never wrong. He and NatsJack are probably sitting with Rizzo tonight and giving him advice. I'm assuming that is why NatsJack hasnt been posting lately.

31. Steady Eddie - May 14, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Interesting. Zito getting hammered by the Jays, RA Dickey sort of cruising (2Ks but 2 BBs) in the top of the third, 6-1.

32. natsfan1a - May 15, 2013 at 12:04 AM

You're my hero, Unk. :-)UnkyD said… We concede NOTHING!!! Every single man in our lineup, tonight, is a Professional Major League Ballplayer….. KERSHAW WHO?!?!? May 14, 2013 6:52 PM

33. natsfan1a - May 15, 2013 at 12:05 AM

And our lineup can beat TBA any day and twice on Sunday!

34. Joe Seamhead - May 15, 2013 at 12:08 AM

David Proctor, I say bring him on..

35. EmDash - May 15, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Sounds like Zito was hurt by some really poor defensive play, though. Though he's an interesting pitcher in that you never know if you're going to get a pretty good pitcher or get absolutely blown up. Which is true for pitchers in general, but it seems more extreme in his case…

36. Joe Seamhead - May 15, 2013 at 12:09 AM

I will say, with all kidding aside, that through NatsJack I was able to meet, and get the opportunity to thank Mike Rizzo for the the great job he has done assembling the Nats. That said, I have never known Jack to make any claims to giving Rizzo any advice. Why don't you give it a break? You know nothing, John Harpo.

37. peric - May 15, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Both Espinosa and Lombardozzi need to learn to walk … as does Eury Perez.Nice to see Desmond move into the #3 slot he deserves to be #3/#4 at this point.

38. peric - May 15, 2013 at 12:14 AM

If you think about this lineup with Desmond further up in he lineup after Lombo, Zim with his bat waking up is probably a pretty good one when all is said and done. The only hole in the #5 slot.

39. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 15, 2013 at 12:15 AM

inal score tonight. nats 2 dodgers 1

40. Christopher Cohen - May 15, 2013 at 12:19 AM

I don't understand this message board. You would think people who spend the time to post on baseball blog sites would understand this lineup. Pure and simple, it's all about stacking up RH hitters against one of the league's most dominant lefties. Every position player bats right handed except for LaRoche.

41. Harpo - May 15, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Hey Joe, your right, I know nothing except I know phonies. I know those that only tell you in hindsight like Natsjack did with Espy not diving for balls. I know Ghost thinks he knows everything.

42. Joe Seamhead - May 15, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Chris, I think everyone here is aware of the RH lineup. Fact is, there is still an OF that, be necessity, is not one that anyone ever thought that they would see.

43. Joe Seamhead - May 15, 2013 at 12:28 AM

"by"necessity. Boy, I wish we had an edit button.

44. SCNatsFan - May 15, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Ah peric make sure you point our your dislike for ALR in every thread despite his resurgence

45. sjm308 - May 15, 2013 at 12:53 AM

So out of the blue, without any prompting, Harpo just goes off on his two favorite posters. Have to wonder what drives him to put that out there when there is baseball to discuss. Having worked in special ed for 15 years after my coaching career, I have a pretty good idea but won't elaborate.Back to skipping posts (and I had such high hopes)

46. sjm308 - May 15, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Ah Peric – thought you might gloat about Span sitting but you chose to get a quick shot in on LaRoche instead. Nice job.

47. EmDash - May 15, 2013 at 12:56 AM

The defensive alignment is a big concern even if you're putting in just the righties. Behind a pitcher that gets lot of fly ball outs, a poor defensive outfield will hurt you even more than usual. And given that the players being put in aren't hitting and the pitcher they're facing is arguably the best in baseball…it seems like a poor trade-off. But we'll see.In other news, Harper is reportedly nauseous, generally a sign of concussion, so that's concerning. Of course, pain can also make you nauseous, so that's hopefully all it is.

48. baseballswami - May 15, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Tomorrow's game story begins like this— Tuesday night the Nationals outfield consisted of a first baseman and a utility infielder, both bench players in their second year in the majors, and a minor leaguer. Surprisingly, here is what happened……….. Not that anyone cares what I think, but I find the very mean spirited comments about Lombo and Moore to be quite annoying, neither one of them has been put in an easy position. What exactly is it that you think they should be doing? Throwing like Ankiel? Hitting like Miguel Cabrera? I am sure they would rather be in the lineup than in Syracuse, but aside from that, they both have paid some dues in the minors and are willing to do whatever is asked of them, including playing anywhere on the field. They would not be in this organization or on this 25 man roster if they had no skills to bring to the table. How about give them a break and rag on the guys who are starters or veterans and not producing.

49. Sec. 3, My Sofa - May 15, 2013 at 1:02 AM

EmDash, where did you see the reports Harper is feeling nauseated?

50. Christopher Cohen - May 15, 2013 at 1:04 AM

I understand that. My guess is that Harper could go tonight, But the drop off of Harper vs. LHP (2013 wOBA: .242) to TMo vs. LHP (Career wOBA: .310) is not very much. So it makes tons of sense to let Harp have the night off after what went down last night. Likewise not a huge drop between Span (LH) v. Lefties and Perez (RH) v. Lefties. Obviously, having Werth on the DL sucks, but nothing can be done about that. And we all know that Espinosa is FAR better against LHP. So, what I didn't understand was people saying that Davey was conceding this game. I don't know what lineup could have been offered that would have been better for tonight's game and for the team as a whole.

51. SCNatsFan - May 15, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Emdash hadn't heard that but don't like that one bit

52. slidell2 - May 15, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Way to go Swami.

53. Sec. 3, My Sofa - May 15, 2013 at 1:08 AM

I second slidell2 on swami's comment.

54. EmDash - May 15, 2013 at 1:19 AM

The Harper info was reported by the beat writers on Twitter. The league does have standard concussion protocols that would've had to be followed, so hopefully he really is okay. But. Concerning.I would've put Span in center, Lombo in left, Eury in right. Similar likely offense, better defense, if Haren is on it might be possible to pull out a close low-scoring game, the best you can reasonably expect unless Kershaw has an off day.But if a bunch of fly balls are played on awkward bounces…could get out of hand. Hopefully not. But the odds swing way out of our favor here.

55. EmDash - May 15, 2013 at 1:23 AM

I don't mean to be cruel about Tyler or Lombo. They're both players with fine potential and certainly are doing their best. I just question their use.Of course, usually when I do that the player does great, so you can no me if there's a reverse-jinx. *g*

56. phil dunton - May 15, 2013 at 1:25 AM

—-and Rizzo said there was no room for Michael Morse in the outfield. With all the injuries, he could be playing on a regular basis. I have yet to see Eury Perez hit the ball out of the infield against major league pitching.

57. Cwj - May 15, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Well said UnkyD! And Christopher Cohen as well!For the LoD: The Nats aren't conceding anything to the Dodgers.The Nats have won many games with lineups that brought out the LOD in full force. Lighten up, some of these players need some ABs!How can someone hit when he's on the bench every day? Espinosa haters are becoming rather annoying.Instead of "well this is going to be a loss", I'll say GO NATS!.

58. RickH - May 15, 2013 at 1:25 AM

I'm all in on the unbridled optimism. GYFNG!!!

59. Harpo - May 15, 2013 at 1:29 AM

I just turned on MASN and got to see Steve Pearce work the count with 1 out and a man on 3rd and got a ball he could drive into the outfield and it fell for a hit and worst case would have been a Sac Fly. This guy has been a journeyman but yet has contributed in a clutch spot. It saddens me that Espy can't put together professional ABs most of the time including last night and I stil think he either doesnt have the ability or isnt hungry enough because he only responds to getting benched.

60. David Proctor - May 15, 2013 at 1:30 AM

“I thought I had the ball the whole time,” Harper said. “I turned left. I didn’t think [A.J. Ellis] hit it as hard as he did. I went back to the right side of it. I thought if I had about five more feet, I was on the ball. Just looking at the ball. I didn’t feel the track. Right when I turned around to jump to get the ball, right when I turned around to leap up, I just hit the wall. I don’t know if Denard [Span] was saying anything. I didn’t hear Denard at all. I try to go balls to the wall. When I’m on the ball, I’m trying to get that ball.”Odd that he didn't feel the track.

61. baseballswami - May 15, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Last year with all our DL use, lots of lesser mortals kept the Nats in first place. Then, as a result of their experience they were helpful down the stretch. Random question– why does DSpan run the bases with his pockets inside out?

62. Eric - May 15, 2013 at 1:35 AM

"How about give them a break and rag on the guys who are starters or veterans and not producing."Swami, while I agree with the general premise of that post, that last line causes me to wonder if you even read the comments around here ;)

63. Cwj - May 15, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Some random stats from my hand-written game logs: -When the Nats score 5 or more runs they are 15-0 this season!-When they give up 5 or more runs they are 3-9.-They have given up 3 or less runs 22 times, with a record of 15-7.-The Nats have been held to 3 or less runs 22 times, a record of 6-16Enjoy :-)

64. David Proctor - May 15, 2013 at 1:38 AM

So basically, we need to score more than 3 on Kershaw, sans Harper, Span and Werth.

65. EmDash - May 15, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Well, like I say, generally when I question these things it works out for the Nats. My record as a reverse jinx is pretty consistent!

66. paul brandt - May 15, 2013 at 1:39 AM

sjm at 8:53pm, you da man…like i said in my first ever post on this site to harpo/oprah…i would say go walk your dog but really hope you don't have one!! you are a bully…appears you know a little about the game so why not just stick to that? when you attack others in your childish behavior, you lose all credibility.

67. baseballswami - May 15, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Eric- haha. Ragging on the regulars is hardly something you could miss , right?

68. Harpo - May 15, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Usually you all don't stick up for the 2 know-it-alls. Sometimes they are right. It's when the Ghost said that Zimm should've spent more time in rehab that I lost a gasket and then Natsjack started talking like he predicted things months ago except he never bothered writing it here.I will try to behave. Its tough for me since I am such a bully. Also keep in mind I catch a lot of grief here from other bullies.

69. sjm308 - May 15, 2013 at 1:50 AM

Totally off topic and wanting to tell someone about this, we had 2nd row center seats for Bobby McFerrin last night and the Kennedy Center. Tremendous show of Americana and Blues, very spiritual and no, he did not do "Don't Worry, Be Happy. Two excellent guitarists, one playing pedal steel, resonator and mandolin , the other an old beat up Fender and acoustic. All the musicians were special and his daughter was not only drop deal cute, but could sing!! Just a great night and the Nats Win as well.

70. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 15, 2013 at 1:50 AM

i will stay with my prediction of Nats 2 Dodgers 1. they are 13th and 14th in the NL in scoring

71. sjm308 - May 15, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Harpo – no one gets more upset at Ghost than I do when he tries to break his arm patting himself on the back, telling us how early he had "something" but tonight, they were silent. Thanks for at least coming back and speaking for myself, I do appreciate your slant on the baseball issues whether I agree or not. Baseball will always have more than one side to discuss and another reason it is my favorite.

72. baseballswami - May 15, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Nighty night, all. Leave me some funny, astute comments to read in the morning. Go Nats!!!!! The way Ray Knight just praised Kershaw, there is no use even playing the game.

73. sjm308 - May 15, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Close to game time and I still avoid this place during games. Have fun people and like someone earlier mentioned, I am still waiting to see Eury place a ball in the outfield. That being said, if he walks, bunts for a hit and gets hit by a pitch, I will not be upset.Go Nats!!

74. Eric - May 15, 2013 at 1:54 AM

sjm, McFerrin is seriously brilliant.

75. paul brandt - May 15, 2013 at 1:58 AM

per harpo:"I will try to behave. Its tough for me since I am such a bully. Also keep in mind I catch a lot of grief here from other bullies."dude, first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem…good for you…you offer good insight, just stick to it…we are all here for the same reason but when you attack others, your point is lost…we can all agree to disagree, nicely…nats win tonight!

76. Eric - May 15, 2013 at 2:02 AM

Confirmation of Harper's nausea.

77. Cwj - May 15, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Veterans Werth and Span apparently talked to Harper. MASN showed their quotes and it seems like they both know he's one tough kid.Anyway, I always like to hear about intangibles such as veteran leadership, good clubhouse guys, "chemistry", etc.Wish stuff like that could be mentioned more often. Even though I do love my stats :-)

78. Candide - May 15, 2013 at 2:10 AM

Bryce Harper said…“I don’t even know even know how to answer that question, besides the fact that I’m going to play this game for the rest of my life and try to play it as hard as I can every single day.”The problem is, when you play as hard as you can every single day, you end up not being able to play every single day.Crash into outfield wall: Sore ribs keep you out of the lineup.Crash into outfield wall redux: Nausea keeps you out of the lineup.You can play as hard as you can, or you can play every single day. But you can't do both, Superman.

79. MicheleS - May 15, 2013 at 2:12 AM

GO GOON SQUAD! GYFNG! Have fun JaneB!

80. David Proctor - May 15, 2013 at 2:15 AM

Hey, there won't be a no hitter tonight!

81. NatsLady - May 15, 2013 at 2:16 AM

"I got the stitches and I feel kind of crappy today," Harper said. "I don't think I should go out there right now with how I'm feeling today. I'm feeling a little nauseous. That's the only thing that is holding me out of the lineup. The soreness and stuff is part of the game. You could play through that. If I wasn't feeling so nauseous, I would be in the lineup."http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130514&content_id=47526314&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

82. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 15, 2013 at 2:19 AM

going into tonight 81 players in the NL have enough at bats. To qualifies for batting average considerations Espinoss and Ricky Weeks are tied for the lowest average

83. David Proctor - May 15, 2013 at 2:21 AM

ugh. How many times has Moore been up with bases loaded this year?

84. David Proctor - May 15, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Of course.

85. SCNatsFan - May 15, 2013 at 2:24 AM

Damn give Tyler 4 strikes and he still strikes out.Another guy I think needs to head down to get some steady at bats and recapture his groove. At the moment he's hurting the big club more then helping it.

86. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 15, 2013 at 2:24 AM

Tyler Moore a chance to get some people off his case, but swung pathetically at a curve ball. He like he has no clue what is coming.

87. Steady Eddie - May 15, 2013 at 2:27 AM

Moore held up on the fastball that should have been strike 3 on the low outside corner — that he at least had a prayer of poking into RF for a two run single — to swing in total futility at a curve in the exact same place.

88. Exposremains - May 15, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Bring up Marrero let Moore get his swing back in AAA

89. Steady Eddie - May 15, 2013 at 2:30 AM

Good that Desi was able to peel off at the last second on that pop up — it was Eury's ball, as the CF, to call him off as he did.

90. Steady Eddie - May 15, 2013 at 2:31 AM

Nice to see Haren back in his groove.

91. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 15, 2013 at 2:32 AM

dan haren started well.

92. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 15, 2013 at 2:34 AM

Please no called 3rd strikes from now on.

93. do1teach1 - May 15, 2013 at 2:36 AM

I have the sense that we have a "mental" team. Not mentally defective, just a team that makes a lot of mental mistakes and tends to overthink things.Storen was affected by Game Five. You can see it in his performances this year.Espinosa over-thinking everything. It's weird that his radio commercials last year featured him saying he always looked into opposing dugouts to see if they were looking back. An odd, intimidation-based approach for a hitter that is anything but indimidating.Zimm–throwing problems are 100% mental. I have never seen him throw the same way twice in all these years of watching him.Stras–the brittleness, the tendency to blame facilities (always kicking at the landing point his first year), his organization (never showing any gratitude for the Nats shutting him down last year), and his teammates (for blowing his mind when Zimm made an error vs. the Cubs the other day).Harper. I love this kid, but what was he thinking last night, after being hurt running into a fence just a few days prior–thus hurting his team because he couldn't play? The idiotic tweet today. Does growing up with limitless adulation from a whole country cloud the clarity of the mind?Davey: The "World Series or Bust" comment should never have been made. What was he thinking? Doesn't his faith in Chad Tracy, his faith-based, mental faith I mean, remind all of us of his faith in Matt Stairs?Rizzo: This is a man with a serious jealousy issue with Billy Beane. I think it's a preoccupation. Do we need this?Ideally, fans want a team that has fun, gets the job done, and wins. I think that we've got a team that will win some games, but the mental aspect is going to hurt us.

94. David Proctor - May 15, 2013 at 2:36 AM

This Kershaw guy is pretty good.

95. SCNatsFan - May 15, 2013 at 2:37 AM

Oh I forgot all these strikeouts are from the negative energy on this board. Go Nats.

96. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 15, 2013 at 2:38 AM

Didi Gregorius 2 RBI single D-Back 2-0

97. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 15, 2013 at 2:48 AM

haren slid little that inning, but still keeping us in it.

98. Exposremains - May 15, 2013 at 2:52 AM

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Espinosa swings his eyes closed

99. SCNatsFan - May 15, 2013 at 2:53 AM

I know Keshawn is good but c'mon guys you won the division last year but the darn bat on the ball

100. David Proctor - May 15, 2013 at 2:53 AM

Our guys need to be first pitch swinging ambush at the fastball. They don't stand a chance against the curve. It is NASTY

101. Eric - May 15, 2013 at 2:54 AM

Wow… RZim really sees this guy.

102. SCNatsFan - May 15, 2013 at 2:54 AM

Sorry Kershaw darn spell checkPutting Danny against a guy with stuff like this is just cruel

103. skidge - May 15, 2013 at 2:55 AM

Did I just hear FP say something about Harper needing to get more concussion tests…?

104. David Proctor - May 15, 2013 at 2:56 AM

Yes, but I have heard nothing about that from any of the beat reporters. Odd.

105. Eric - May 15, 2013 at 2:56 AM

I think so skidge…

106. SCNatsFan - May 15, 2013 at 2:56 AM

Amazing those guys behind the dugout have a bat and a ball already how wild is that

107. Joe Seamhead - May 15, 2013 at 3:00 AM

A mystery balk call.

108. David Proctor - May 15, 2013 at 3:00 AM

Would've been big for Desi to cash in after the balk.

109. skidge - May 15, 2013 at 3:00 AM

Seeing it now on Twitter too. Ugh.

110. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 15, 2013 at 3:01 AM

I couldn'rt see a balk.Nats doing there usual RISP hitting. 0 for 2.Dodgers 0 for 1.How about the Curly Ws in the stabds behind thedugouta foul ball and a bat. Rzim hitting well.

111. SCNatsFan - May 15, 2013 at 3:03 AM

Unless that broke his toe that was a mistake

112. Drew - May 15, 2013 at 3:04 AM

Kershaw's at 58 pitches. Keep making him work.Eury's looking a bit too nonchalant out there.

113. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 15, 2013 at 3:06 AM

I am looking at Nat reporters pn twitter none of them said anything about more test.What was the point of hitting Krrshaw with 2 strikes.

114. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 15, 2013 at 3:08 AM

Now a wild pitch. what is the point. No mistakes.Then a k on a terrible pitch. Lucky.

115. David Proctor - May 15, 2013 at 3:10 AM

That's game with Kershaw pitching.

116. peric - May 15, 2013 at 3:10 AM

There goes the ballgame.

117. peric - May 15, 2013 at 3:11 AM

RZim coming around just in time thankfully.

118. NatsLady - May 15, 2013 at 3:13 AM

OK, Eric, this is what I did. I published an empty post with the title I wanted. Wait a few minutes–it shows up. Then I copied went into the post I wanted to publish, copied the entire thing (formatting and all) into the empty post. Then I took the old post and reverted it to a "draft" so it wouldn't show up when you go to the blogspot. Go figure.

119. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 15, 2013 at 3:13 AM

Then a hit up the middle. Lead off walks (Or HBP my biggest complaint always by a pitcher) leads to 2 runs.Either has hit Haren eell whole career os I was surprised no IBBI was texting to IBB Either my buddy said no way. of course after the hit he daid he didnt realize Eithier owned Haren. i said Davey didnt know it either.

120. Exposremains - May 15, 2013 at 3:15 AM

I hate to say it but game over. Zim and Demond are the only ones with a chance to do touch the ball

121. SCNatsFan - May 15, 2013 at 3:16 AM

Hoping the box score shows us up in the morning but no sense being beat at work to watch this.

122. David Proctor - May 15, 2013 at 3:17 AM

Well at least we're making contact now.

123. Joe Seamhead - May 15, 2013 at 3:18 AM

Good grief. So now we concede? Naw!GYFNG!!!

124. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 15, 2013 at 3:20 AM

Guys pretend ypu are professional hitters and not just swing with no control.That hit by pitch was just stupid and set up a crappy inning. Our hitters have not decided to concentrate and tear into the ball.

125. BigCat - May 15, 2013 at 3:20 AM

why our hitters up there taking first pitch fastballs. Why aren't they up there looking fastball and hacking, just like teams do against Stra. You don't want to fall behind in the count cause then you get the hard slider or Koufax curve. You know why? THE ECK FACTORIm goin to bed….this ones over

126. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 15, 2013 at 3:21 AM

Did I miss something? Ramos made contact?

127. BigCat - May 15, 2013 at 3:21 AM

I'd get HRod up to face Kemp next time. Kemp is scared of Rod

128. BigCat - May 15, 2013 at 3:23 AM

Espi has about as much chance of hitting Kershaw as me…..or you Manassas. He stinks

129. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 15, 2013 at 3:27 AM

I can only hit curves so if he throws one I have a chance. Big Cat.Also as I told intentional walking Eithier was a no brainer to me with his dominence of Haren. If the lose 2-0 I will be mad as anyone who studies stat expected Eithier to get a hit. i guess Davey McCatty forgot to look at the stats.

130. BigCat - May 15, 2013 at 3:27 AM

And why in the world do you lead espi off? Thats like saying we only want 2 outs in the first. He's a "pair of shoes" in the box. Its just pitiful.Night night

131. Exposremains - May 15, 2013 at 3:30 AM

Big Surprise

132. Drew - May 15, 2013 at 3:31 AM

His curve is never in the strike zone. Stop swinging at it.

133. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 15, 2013 at 3:32 AM

espi gets worse every at bat.Hey Eck how did you prepare these guy. Lets takes the fast balls and fall behind and then swing at curve for strike 3. That is why Big CaI want Eck fired as the approach is unecusably pitiful.

134. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 15, 2013 at 3:33 AM

I see FP is joining me on the Intentional Walk that wasn't.To me it was a no brainer, FP now is agreeing.

135. Eric - May 15, 2013 at 3:35 AM

Weird NatsLady…AtBat says injury delay… What gives?

136. David Proctor - May 15, 2013 at 3:37 AM

Haren seemed to hurt his back, but he stayed in and got Kemp to ground out.

137. Eric - May 15, 2013 at 3:38 AM

NatsLady, meant to ask for clarification… So editing a blank post that showed up worked?

138. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 15, 2013 at 3:38 AM

They swong at curves that are not strikes because Eck has them taking the fastballs down the middle.

139. Conatsguy p - May 15, 2013 at 3:39 AM

Clutch play Ian

140. Eric - May 15, 2013 at 3:39 AM

Oy… Hope Haren's OK… that's the last thing we need…

141. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 15, 2013 at 3:41 AM

Ok guys just do what Zim is doing.

142. Eric - May 15, 2013 at 3:42 AM

Zim is ridiculous against this guy…

143. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 15, 2013 at 3:43 AM

ALR we need to get this run. no screwing around.

144. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 15, 2013 at 3:44 AM

Why do swings at so many balls. It is totalky rediculous.Swing at the fast balls let the curves go.Eck read the board and adjust.

145. Exposremains - May 15, 2013 at 3:44 AM

Huge swings against a guy they can't hit. I don't understand that.

146. Eric - May 15, 2013 at 3:45 AM

According to atbat, none of the pitches to LaRoche were in the zone…

147. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 15, 2013 at 3:47 AM

Going into this. Gamewe are 5th in K 11th in homers.If we are not boppets why do we K so much?

148. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 15, 2013 at 3:49 AM

the hard swings come because so terribly coached. Few agree with me, but is quite obvious to me and Big Cat.

149. Conatsguy p - May 15, 2013 at 3:49 AM

Come on Nats, hang around and steal one like the Cubbies did

150. Eric - May 15, 2013 at 3:52 AM

So Kershaw gets the called first strike outside against LaRoche, but Haren doesn't on the outside corner against Ellis. Lame.

151. David Proctor - May 15, 2013 at 3:53 AM

You know, Haren has really pitched a pretty good game. Just had a slight hiccup against a guy who has owned him in his career.

152. Eric - May 15, 2013 at 3:54 AM

A'ight, Haren has officially given you at least a quality start fellas… Back him up!I'll check in in the morning to see that you have ;)

153. DJB - May 15, 2013 at 3:57 AM

I think they need to consider sending Moore back down to work on his batting. Right now he is overmatched by big league pitching. I don't think he will be able to see enough pitches while playing intermittently.

154. NatsLady - May 15, 2013 at 3:58 AM

Eric. The blank post showed up. So, seeing that it showed up, I then filled it up with the content from the post that didn't show up.

155. Joe Seamhead - May 15, 2013 at 3:58 AM

Zack Duke? Dag gone it!

156. David Proctor - May 15, 2013 at 4:00 AM

Nice battle by Eury Perez there.

157. Conatsguy p - May 15, 2013 at 4:01 AM

Good AB Eury..Drive that pitch count up

158. Eric - May 15, 2013 at 4:03 AM

NatsLady, sounds like a viable workaround to me!Glad to see Haren still in…Didn't turn off the tablet yet… I'm weak I tell ya!

159. peric - May 15, 2013 at 4:03 AM

Haren done good. Its a shame they couldn't back him.

160. peric - May 15, 2013 at 4:04 AM

Haren under 5 ERA now.

161. Conatsguy p - May 15, 2013 at 4:04 AM

Gotta get to the LA BP

162. Eric - May 15, 2013 at 4:04 AM

Yeah, 11 pitches for Eury… awesome.And, we actually scored against the pen lady night for once…

163. Eric - May 15, 2013 at 4:05 AM

Haren! Nice inning!

164. Joe Seamhead - May 15, 2013 at 4:05 AM

No Duke after all. Suits me. Haren has pitched a heck of a game. I hate to see him get pulled, but we need base runners.

165. Drew - May 15, 2013 at 4:05 AM

That was a fine at bat by Eury Perez.Meantime, Rendon had three more hits, boosting his average to .356.I don't think he's long for Harrisburg.

166. Eric - May 15, 2013 at 4:06 AM

So… Who the hell is gonna pinch for Haren?

167. JaneB - May 15, 2013 at 4:06 AM

It's a beautiful stadium. Civilized fans except for the 30 or so beach balls being thrown around. Kershaw is dealing. But we could still win. I think. Just not if they out in Zach.

168. Gonat - May 15, 2013 at 4:07 AM

Drew, yah, incredible by Rendon. Those suggesting that Rizzo has to find him a spot are correct.

169. Eric - May 15, 2013 at 4:07 AM

JUp just whiffed to end the top of the 8th. Still 2-0 Dbacks.

170. David Proctor - May 15, 2013 at 4:07 AM

7IP, 4H, 2ER. Can't ask for more than that from Dan Haren.

171. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 15, 2013 at 4:08 AM

heren pitched excellently. Hitting Kershaw on a 2 strike count totally made no sense. His fault.Second mistake in my opinion was Davey's fault. Pitching to Eithier for some odd reason. Of course Davey is smarter than me, but still made absolurtely no sense to me and I called for it way before the event.

172. Eric - May 15, 2013 at 4:09 AM

Haren's at 101 pitches, Joe… good time to end it on a very positive note fore him.

173. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 15, 2013 at 4:09 AM

I deffinately asked for more. i asked for the intentional walk outside couldnt ask for more.

174. Eugene in Oregon - May 15, 2013 at 4:12 AM

Gonat @ 12:07: I can think of one spot that should be available.

175. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 15, 2013 at 4:12 AM

We have a good shot of nearing the Marlins for 15th in hitting.Thanks Eck.

176. Gonat - May 15, 2013 at 4:13 AM

Also agree that Eury Perez really put together a nice professional AB.These call-ups are hungry and want to impress. Some of these guys who have been here for a while just aren't getting it done. All nice guys but where did anyone put together an AB like Eury?Espinosa's first 3 ABs were 3 strikeouts on 11 total pitches. Eury saw that many pitches in his 1 AB in the 7th inning.

177. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 15, 2013 at 4:14 AM

I guess Espi's defense is considered needed no matter how his offense.

178. Eric - May 15, 2013 at 4:15 AM

OK, well, if we're gonna pull it out of the hat we start the next inning off right.Can't believe they're sending Kershaw put to face Zim on 114 pitches. Why not though I guess…

179. Gonat - May 15, 2013 at 4:16 AM

Eugene in Oregon said… Gonat @ 12:07: I can think of one spot that should be available. May 15, 2013 12:12 AM ___________________________Since Rendon needs to start it has to be 2nd base but Espi needs to take TyMo with him. Both need to show they belong.

180. Eric - May 15, 2013 at 4:17 AM

Nice one Mattheus!

181. NatsLady - May 15, 2013 at 4:18 AM

Heath Bell??? What happened to Putz?

182. Gonat - May 15, 2013 at 4:18 AM

By the way, Haren pitched great. He did nothing wrong with Ethier. The dugout calls for an intentional walk, not the pitcher.With 1st base open, it was a mistake. Oh well, it's not like the Nats scored any runs on offense.

183. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 15, 2013 at 4:18 AM

Mattheus looked fine.Damn hitters as a group need to shape up.Btw thanks Davey for not asking me if you should pitch to Eithier in the 3rd. Unconventual I know but numbers said it was the move.

184. Gonat - May 15, 2013 at 4:19 AM

Putz got hurt last week.

185. NatsLady - May 15, 2013 at 4:19 AM

OK, thanks. Maybe he won't blow a 2 run lead.

186. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 15, 2013 at 4:20 AM

GoNat i am pissed at Davey from the moment Either headed for the batters box. haren only mistake was hitting kershaw on a 2 strike count

187. Conatsguy p - May 15, 2013 at 4:22 AM

Nice stroke Ryan

188. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 15, 2013 at 4:22 AM

RZim played tonight.The 9th the guys uppercut just to much.

189. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 15, 2013 at 4:24 AM

I will head for bed knowing I cant wait until Eckstein is gone. He's the one I dislike the mostin the organization.Though 2 of last 3 games I have disagreed with Davey.

190. Conatsguy p - May 15, 2013 at 4:26 AM

Alright Adam..make him work

191. Gonat - May 15, 2013 at 4:26 AM

I hope TyMo makes me eat my words! Earn it!

192. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 15, 2013 at 4:27 AM

tyler moore I will gat off your case with ahomerOr is tracy coming in

193. Conatsguy p - May 15, 2013 at 4:27 AM

194. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 15, 2013 at 4:28 AM

It is hollywood a Harper homer makes more drama.

195. Eric - May 15, 2013 at 4:28 AM

Nice at bat LaRoche!So it's up to TMo… do it Tyler!

196. Joe Seamhead - May 15, 2013 at 4:28 AM

Great pitching by both starters.It didn't work out pitching to Eithier, but I think we have established that we may pitch around somebody, but we will give very few IBB's. Many thought we should've walked Prince last week, too.

197. Eric - May 15, 2013 at 4:29 AM

Dbacks win… Sweet.

198. Gonat - May 15, 2013 at 4:29 AM

Braves lost.

199. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 15, 2013 at 4:29 AM

tyler moore prove you are a professional.

200. NatsLady - May 15, 2013 at 4:30 AM