May 14, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
A dazed and bloody Bryce Harper leaves the field in the fifth inning.
The image was downright scary: Bryce Harper slamming full-speed, face-first into the right field wall at Dodger Stadium and then falling to the ground and remaining motionless for several seconds as teammates and trainers rushed to his aid.
By night's end, the Nationals had received encouraging news about their 20-year-old slugger, who didn't appear to be seriously injured but did require 11 stitches on his chin while also dealing with a bruised shoulder and knee.
Harper didn't suffer a concussion on the play, manager Davey Johnson and agent Scott Boras each told reporters in Los Angeles following the 6-2 win over the Dodgers, more relief for the Nationals and anyone who was worried about the status of the club's young star.
Truth be told, Harper is extremely fortunate not to have suffered something truly serious on one of the most frightening plays you'll ever see on a baseball field, a play on which Harper didn't seemRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Month to forget continues for Scherzer, Nats
- Scherzer's struggles continue in Nationals' 4-3 loss to Marlins
- Hip surgery for Span, but Taylor's knee OK
- Game Thread: Nationals open series vs. Marlins
- Desperate Nationals recall OF from AAA Syracuse
- MLB Power Rankings: More movement in AL East
- Ross shines against former team, pulled early for innings limit
- Span likely out for season after latest injury
- Nats banged up in 4-2 victory over Padres, win third straight series
- Updated: Taylor leaves Nats-Padres game after colliding with wall