Game 40: Nats at Dodgers

May 15, 2013, 11:28 PM EDT

USA Today Sports Images
Ross Detwiler faces Zack Greinke in the series finale at Dodger Stadium.

As the Nationals wrap up their series in Los Angeles, Bryce Harper again finds himself on the bench watching as a spectator, still held out after Monday night's nasty collision with the right field fence. The club remains confident he did not suffer a concussion on the play, but obviously he's still bruised up and needs a bit more time to heal before re-taking the field.

Harper's teammates can only hope to have more success at the plate tonight against Zack Greinke than they did last night against Clayton Kershaw. Greinke returns after missing a month with a broken collarbone, suffered during a bench-clearing brawl with the Padres.

Ross Detwiler starts for the Nationals, looking to even his record at .500, not to mention catapult his team into first place. Yep, the Braves already lost today in Arizona, so a win tonight would move the Nats into a tie atop the NL East.

Enjoy the conversation…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at LOS ANGELES DODGERS
Where: Dodger Stadium
Gametime: 10:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 187
Weather: Clear, 64 degrees, Wind 5 mph out to CF

CF Denard Span
LF Steve Lombardozzi
1B Adam LaRoche

1. baseballswami - May 15, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Seems like Bryce has been sick to his stomach, bruised in the ribs, banged in the chin and otherwise not up to par an awful lot. Add to that cold ALR and Zim, banged up Werth, a frigid bench , a polar Espi. I am thankful beyond belief that we are above water. Does anyone have any idea when we might have our full lineup, healthy and in baseball shape? Come on, guys, get healthy!!!

2. SonnyG10 - May 15, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Let's go boys! Win and you tie the Barves.

3. natsfan1a - May 15, 2013 at 11:41 PM

4. natsfan1a - May 15, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Evidently I have no opinion on anything on-the-field baseball related (which will come as news to my brain, but I digress). I will, however, offer the following about tonight's game: Go, NATS!!

5. NatsJack in Florida - May 15, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Just keep those non opinions with all thier hidden innuendo comin' 1a. So much controversy swirling around your posts.GYFNG!

6. SCNatsFan - May 15, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Bring the pain tonight boys

7. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 15, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Gonat said… Joe Seamhead said… Yep, "5 Tool " BJ Upton grounds out to end the game. Lets go Nats!!! GYFNG!!! May 15, 2013 6:44 PM _______________________________I just want to know where the person is who proposed Jordan Zimmermann plus other players for BJ Upton.Some of the trade scenarios that were proposed in 2011 are mind boggling. May 15, 2013 7:24 PM Come on Gonat, some brainiac proposed Jordan Zimmermann plus Ian Desmond and a PTBNL for BJ Upton.

8. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 16, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Nats 5 Dodgers 3 tonight

9. Joe Seamhead - May 16, 2013 at 12:10 AM

I was never as big of a BJ Upton fan as BJ Upton is a fan of BJ Upton.Also, as hot as his brother Justin started out at the plate, I also saw that he has been charged with 3 errors in the outfield already. Maybe I'm tough, but 3 errors in LF is a ton at this point in the season, IMHO.

10. LoveDaNats - May 16, 2013 at 12:11 AM

We need a win boys. Love these guys so much.

11. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 16, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Can someone find that BJ Upton thread from 2011 where there was the rumors of a trade?

12. Harpo - May 16, 2013 at 12:18 AM

"natsfan1a said… I've never met Upton, so I have no idea whether or not he is (or has, for that matter) a hemorrhoid. I'm also not inclined to give a lot of weight to rumors or secondhand reports. (Likewise, I'm not a mind reader, so I don't have much of a clue who is or is not desperate for a winner, unless they tell me so point-blank.)But I digress. I've not seen all that much of Upton on the field, certainly not enough to evaluate his worth, even if I was of a mind to, which I'm not particularly. That, and stats kinda bore me. What's a fan to do? Guess I'll just have to trust the GM, scouts, and miscellaneous FO types to know what they're doing. ;-) November 28, 2011 11:02 AM"Hey Ghost, I'm being neighborly here and found this insightful analysis of a BJ Upton rumored trade by NatsFan1a in 2011.

13. Joe Seamhead - May 16, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Ghost, here's one of them:http://www.natsinsider.com/2011/12/cf-trade-market-appears-thin.html

14. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 16, 2013 at 12:22 AM

with Braves loss, we can be tied for first by day break.

15. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 16, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Joe, thanks! natsfan1a, what's this about? Upton, so I have no idea whether or not he is (or has, for that matter) a hemorrhoid.

16. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 16, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Nats1924 said… These three for Upton…- Detwiler- Norris and/or Flores- LombardozziThis should be sufficient enough December 06, 2011 4:36 PM I found this but I was looking at the person who was proposing JZim and Desi as a throw-in freebie.

17. Steamer - May 16, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Lets Go Nats!!!!!

18. peric - May 16, 2013 at 12:50 AM

I found this but I was looking at the person who was proposing JZim and Desi as a throw-in freebie.Well if it was me it wasn't that I was suggesting it I was wondering about how much it would've cost at the time. And rumors said Rizzo was very strong on the Upton brothers as you yourself conveyed about Justin. And as we found out later the Nats were in on Justin just as you surmised.I'm not a big fan of going outside for players. Unless there's a huge hole that must be filled. In the very recent past there were enormous craters that may or may not be filled by either prospects, a trade, or a free agent. I find it interesting that the guys Rizzo let go (Morse/DeRosa) are doing a bang up job for their respective teams.In addition I would ask GoSM if he agrees that there is a some sort of odd connection whereby the Toronto BlueJays get insider dope on Nats players and even coaches/FO folks. Does it have its origins in the fact the two were once the only two Canadian franchises? Is it a cabal of friend in the FO's of the two franchises?

19. peric - May 16, 2013 at 12:53 AM

I didn't post on that thread. But I still do and did like Peter Bourjous … a lot in fact a helluva a lot.

20. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 16, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Steve M. said… Observations from the last week.1) Espinosa is struggling again at the plate and when you look at this team winning, they need him. Unfortunately even before this mini-slump he has the worst swing & miss percentage of all the players on the team. Good time for him to lay down a bunt or 2 for a hit and get his confidence back.July 25, 2011 12:09 PM As I was looking for some BJ Upton posts I came across this that I wrote on Espinosa back in 2011. Yep, he led the Nats back then in swing & miss.

21. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 16, 2013 at 12:57 AM

peric said… In addition I would ask GoSM if he agrees that there is a some sort of odd connection whereby the Toronto BlueJays get insider dope on Nats players and even coaches/FO folks.They had hired some low level scouts 2 years ago. DeRosa was there for the taking for anyone. Still need to see how long he stays healthy.Morse when healthy is one of the best bats in baseball. He's getting healthy again from the broken pinky.

22. peric - May 16, 2013 at 12:58 AM

And June is coming up which is typically when Rizzo et al make decisions about changes before they have to go off and focus entirely on the draft. I find it somewhat coincidental that Haren's sudden surge toward reliability, consistency, and quality starts happens and then Danny Rosenbaum suddenly takes a bit of a nosedive on his start. Its hard to imagine but I do think players watch the majors and may have their own strong ideas about who they might replace were they to be called up.

23. Whynat - May 16, 2013 at 1:00 AM

24. peric - May 16, 2013 at 1:00 AM

As I was looking for some BJ Upton posts I came across this that I wrote on Espinosa back in 2011. Yep, he led the Nats back then in swing & miss.In 2013 he is still a distant second in this category to one Adam LaRoche.

25. peric - May 16, 2013 at 1:05 AM

But yes, statistically? There is a higher probability (let's use advanced stats and not look at numbers again) … much higher probability of a swing and miss from T-Mo at this point … 19% of Danny's plate appearances result in a swinging strike out.19.7% of Adam LaRoche's plate appearances result in a swinging strike out.26,7 of the Sharks's plate appearances result in a swinging strike out.28.2% of Chad Tracy's PA's result in a swinging strike out.31% of T-Mo's plate appearances result in a swinging strike out.

26. baseballswami - May 16, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Bryce, Werth- get healthy, get back in the lineup!!!

27. slidell2 - May 16, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Maybe the Nats need an opthamologist.

28. Eric - May 16, 2013 at 1:16 AM

29. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Davey said Bryce could pinch hit tonight. My guess is he's back in the lineup in a day or two.

30. Steady Eddie - May 16, 2013 at 1:26 AM

David P. – I suspect that between the bruises and the RF wall in LA, Bryce will appear in the Pads game tomorrow. But Davey doesn't want him playing next to THAT RF fence again this year.

31. Eric - May 16, 2013 at 1:28 AM

I bet Harper and Werth appear again at the same time. Werth is eligible Saturday, right?

32. Harpo - May 16, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Peric compare the fork in the road and look at the last 10 days for all those players. TylerMo needs to take a flight with Espinosa back to 'Cuse and bring Marrero or Micah Owings to San Diego a long with Rendon.

33. Harpo - May 16, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Bryce took BP today in LA.

34. Steady Eddie - May 16, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Another good word from the Mentor: @JamesWagnerWP: Werth on Harper: "Once the word came out that he was OK, it was fairly hilarious." Harper's all-out play will need to "get under control."

35. Harpo - May 16, 2013 at 1:34 AM

"Whynat said… Hey 1A – count me as a fan. You bring a much needed sense of humor and perspective around here."Ok then. She's a comic. Here I've been taking her writings and cutdowns as serious ribbing. I'm an armchair GM with a sense of humor. Remember that the next time you read my garbage.

36. MicheleS - May 16, 2013 at 1:35 AM

It's game 40.. let's get the Curly W.. I am sure I will be asleep for it

37. peric - May 16, 2013 at 1:39 AM

peric, it's weirdly refreshing to see you acknowledge that about LaRoche v. Moore ;)stats are stats. I find it oddly interesting that all three of Davey's favorite pinch hitters (excluding Lombo) are right at the very top of the strike out list. AND of them only T-Mo is the legit power impact bat and those types can be prone to strike outs. Its why Danny is so high. He wants to be one them there types. And I suspect his rotator cuff ain't goin' to let him.

38. peric - May 16, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Game 40 complete we have a milestone. Now the sample size is large enough to apply advanced stats and make some predictions. That may be why Rizzo and the FO wait until just after this to make any changes. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the very near future.

39. Harpo - May 16, 2013 at 1:50 AM

SteveM, are you happy Jason Werth is doing 2 rehab starts in Potomac and not Syracuse.He went 1-2 tonight with a outfield assist.

40. phil dunton - May 16, 2013 at 1:56 AM

The biggest risk to Harper by far is the reckless way he plays. He is going to end up like Pete Reiser if he doesn't change his ways. It is one thing to play in an aggressive manner but quite another to play recklessly.

41. natsfan1a - May 16, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Ghost Of Steve M. said…natsfan1a, what's this about? Upton, so I have no idea whether or not he is (or has, for that matter) a hemorrhoid.May 15, 2013 8:25 PM Well, SteveM, evidently it's about "Harpo" calling me out again. I did not remember the post to which my quoted 2011 comment referred, so I looked it up in the November 2011 archives at left, which you could just as well have done for yourself, given the date and time stamp. Anyway, below is the post to which I responded. I'm going to bed now. Good night and have a pleasant tomorrow, folks.Theophilus said… "Bowdenball" likes BJ Upton. How appropriate. Probably liked Jose Guillen, Elijah Dukes, too. Likewise Anonymous whose "only concern about Upton" is that the guy is no leadoff hitter. Somewhere in time, you people need to learn to subordinate your desperation to win — and that is what it is, desperation, and it has just as much hope — to the satisfaction of fielding a team of players who you can actually support. There's absolutely no fun in watching a player who (A) is as likely as not to strike out trying to hit a five-run homer and (B) is such a knucklehead that you secretly hope he does just that. BJ Upton couldn't lead the '27 Yankees to a pennant. Sign him and get a walking hemorrhoid. Please, let him "find himself" in some other town. November 28, 2011 10:53 AM

42. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 2:10 AM

Super interesting with interview with Steve McCatty on MASN.

43. NatsLady - May 16, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Yes, really interesting and technical. Different with each pitcher. I would love to hear him talk about the relievers also.

44. Gonat - May 16, 2013 at 2:13 AM

One area that Span has to work on is his oppo hitting. The LFs just camp out in shallow LF and its a can of corn.

45. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 2:15 AM

Greinke looking good. Zimmerman hit that ball hard, he's really seeing it well.

46. Eric - May 16, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Agreed about the chat with McCatty… very cool.And about Greinke. Bummer. Bring your A game Det!

47. Gonat - May 16, 2013 at 2:21 AM

Nats need to get that pitch count up like Zim did on Greinke.

48. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 2:24 AM

Ross has really come down to Earth lately.

49. peric - May 16, 2013 at 2:25 AM

Harpo said : Honk Honk!Harpo means to say: " I am totally ignorant about baseball … but I do know about hemorrhoids."

50. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 16, 2013 at 2:26 AM

a broken bat RBI. We have had almost none of thiose.we didnt score first again, that is not what the doctor ordered at all.The formula is simple. Scote first.

51. peric - May 16, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Now that's a good hit by LaRoche … some sign of life.

52. Gonat - May 16, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Manassas Nats' Fan said… a broken bat RBI. We have had almost none of thiose._____________________________That's lucky BABIP and the result of putting balls into play.

53. peric - May 16, 2013 at 2:29 AM

Another "K" for the Nats leader in that category.

54. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 16, 2013 at 2:29 AM

Ball over the plate let it rip.

55. Eric - May 16, 2013 at 2:29 AM

Actually we could stand to win more games where we don't score first… We'll need to if we're gonna break out…

56. EmDash - May 16, 2013 at 2:30 AM

He's never been at his best on the road. And his record is still very good. Hard to be unhittable all the time.

57. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 2:31 AM

Wilson's a guy we haven't really paid attention to, but has started slow. Can't wait til he gets going.

58. Exposremains - May 16, 2013 at 2:34 AM

Bloop falls in for Dodgers. Bloop caught for the Nats.

59. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 16, 2013 at 2:34 AM

@omone asked earlier in a thread what we meant by approach and Espi.Bunting. With 2 outs and man on second. A terribly stupid approach and FP called him on it.Is Eck still on the staff?

60. Eric - May 16, 2013 at 2:35 AM

Argh… so close Espi.

61. EmDash - May 16, 2013 at 2:35 AM

Glad to see Wilson get going again after his injury.Danny made good contact, at least.

62. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 2:36 AM

Do you really think Eck told him to bunt? MNF, you are like a broken record. You don't like Eck. We get it. You don't have to mention it in every single post.

63. Gonat - May 16, 2013 at 2:37 AM

Detwiler isn't fooling the lefties.

64. Exposremains - May 16, 2013 at 2:39 AM

Scully called him on it too. (the bunt attempt)

65. Gonat - May 16, 2013 at 2:41 AM

Nice doubleplay. Detwiler needs to pay attention to runners at 2nd. He didn't look back at Ethier.

66. Exposremains - May 16, 2013 at 2:42 AM

Without Harper in the lineup I find it hard to imagine ways the Nats will manage to score runs. I know it's possible.

67. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 2:43 AM

How bad have pitchers hurt us this year? Edwin Jackson, Clayton Kershaw, Zack Greinke. There are probably more.

68. Exposremains - May 16, 2013 at 2:43 AM

Good job Det. Even opposing team pitchers get 2 out rbis. It can't be that hard.

69. Gonat - May 16, 2013 at 2:43 AM

No way Ross. No way. Greinke? Compact swing. Look at that. Why can't our light hitting guys do the same.

70. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 16, 2013 at 2:44 AM

I will save my it for every other post. 3 years running. Will do so until Rizzo wises up.I bet he didnt tell him not too. The coach should be coaching some ever play.detwiler why give away to the other pitcher? I guarentee he won't let you have an RBI hit

71. EmDash - May 16, 2013 at 2:45 AM

Det keeps trying to throw the breaking ball when Ramos catches him, it seems. Not a huge fan. He's at his best when he just keeps locating the fastball low.The Nats have had some trouble with pitcher at-bats this year, huh?

72. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 16, 2013 at 2:46 AM

Their 9th batter did the ob, and none of us with an RBI in 15 innings.

73. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 16, 2013 at 2:47 AM

Sac bunt time

74. Harpo - May 16, 2013 at 2:48 AM

Stupid question since I know nothing. Why was Bernadina playing so deep to the opposite field against Greinke.

75. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 2:49 AM

Greinke has 3 career HRs and quite a few 2Bs. He can hit.

76. EmDash - May 16, 2013 at 2:50 AM

Nats pop up too often, generally. #analysis

77. Harpo - May 16, 2013 at 2:51 AM

David Proctor, did he hit those HRs to RF.

78. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 2:51 AM

Not sure how to find that out, Harpo.

79. Exposremains - May 16, 2013 at 2:52 AM

weak pop-ups, beautiful. I know Greinke is good but he hasn't pitch in a month.

80. Harpo - May 16, 2013 at 2:52 AM

More lazy contact to the opposite field by Nats hitters. Get on top of those and worse case pound it into the ground and maybe it finds a hole.

81. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 16, 2013 at 2:53 AM

As usual with RISP they all do their Espi imitation of easuy pops to the outfit.RISP LA 2 FOR 3. Nats 0 for 3.

82. EmDash - May 16, 2013 at 2:54 AM

Positives from that inning: Ross can apparently bunt successfully now!

83. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 2:54 AM

Ross has been knocked around the park lately. Even at home, he gave up a ton of doubles to the Cubs. He needs to throw offspeed.

84. Eric - May 16, 2013 at 2:55 AM

OK who painted the balls blue? Argh!

85. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 2:55 AM

Let me clarify: he needs to throw offspeed FOR A STRIKE.

86. Gonat - May 16, 2013 at 2:56 AM

David Proctor said… Not sure how to find that out, Harpo. May 15, 2013 10:51 PM ________________________________2 for 15 to RF including tonight. Both are singles.

87. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 2:59 AM

This injury may be why Ross isn't himself lately.

88. EmDash - May 16, 2013 at 3:01 AM

Hope Ross is okay. If his side or whatever it is is bothering him, that could account for him missing his spots…

89. Eric - May 16, 2013 at 3:03 AM

Oy… Ross…what's up?

90. Just wonderin' - May 16, 2013 at 3:04 AM

Are ingrown toenails contagious?

91. EmDash - May 16, 2013 at 3:04 AM

Is everyone fighting injuries so far this season? Man.

92. Gonat - May 16, 2013 at 3:05 AM

Yah, Ross isn't right.

93. NatsNutty - May 16, 2013 at 3:05 AM

If RD is actually hurt and in pain, he should admit it like a man, go on the DL, recuperate, then return. I'm tired of seeing players try to "suck it up for the team" just to implode on the field and contribute to another Nats loss.

94. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 3:06 AM

We have nobody to replace him.

95. NatsLady - May 16, 2013 at 3:06 AM

Why doesn't he come out of the game? Never mind being a tough guy.

96. Just wonderin' - May 16, 2013 at 3:06 AM

More seriously, what was the hip issue Det had a couple of years ago?

97. Gonat - May 16, 2013 at 3:07 AM

Perfect time for a changeup here.

98. NatsLady - May 16, 2013 at 3:07 AM

Stammen can take as long as he needs to warm up if it's an injury. Then you worry about it.

99. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 3:07 AM

Whew. Zim just saved this game from getting out of hand.

100. Section 222 - May 16, 2013 at 3:08 AM

It's a mystery to me why anyone would pick a fight with 1a after all the good will and useful information she's contributed to this blog over the years, particularly someone who, supposedly, started commenting here just a few weeks ago. Actually, it's not a mystery. We all know who you are, and your pugnacious act is tiresome and kind of pathetic. Many of know 1a personally and consider her a friend. You should be should be ashamed.

101. Gonat - May 16, 2013 at 3:08 AM

Nice hops Zim!

102. NatsLady - May 16, 2013 at 3:08 AM

Jeez, Det can barely walk. Get your butt outta there.

103. EmDash - May 16, 2013 at 3:08 AM

Velocity way down right now, too. Officially A Concern now.Thank you, Zimm.

104. Eric - May 16, 2013 at 3:08 AM

Zim just redeemed two throwing errors.Det, get well man.

105. Gonat - May 16, 2013 at 3:13 AM

Eric said… Zim just redeemed two throwing errors.Det, get well man. May 15, 2013 11:08 PM _______________________________That's just ridiculous. Those types of things don't cancel each other out. Wish they did.

106. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 16, 2013 at 3:13 AM

179 at bats for Greinke now 5 doubles and 3 homers none to right. Shark probably a little deep.now 2 for 4 RISP for Dodgers.Also our series with a homer. Streak in jeopardy.Another called 3 rd strike that was right over the plate. One of our biggest weakness at the plate.

107. Gonat - May 16, 2013 at 3:14 AM

There you go! Power for LaRoche. Peric has to love that!

108. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 16, 2013 at 3:14 AM

Takescare of that. Now score many more.

109. EmDash - May 16, 2013 at 3:14 AM

There's no admitting it, I'm pretty sure from the coaching staff's reaction they know he's not entirely right. If he doesn't go on the DL, it's because they think he can pitch through it. Whether that's right or not we don't know.All right, Adam!

110. Joe Seamhead - May 16, 2013 at 3:14 AM

ALR!!!

111. Gonat - May 16, 2013 at 3:15 AM

Greinke is rattled.

112. Section 222 - May 16, 2013 at 3:16 AM

Oops. I guess ALR's power isn't completely gone. And the streak lives.

113. Eric - May 16, 2013 at 3:16 AM

Yes! ALR!I was literally telling a friend about our homers/series streak as that happened. That was awesome.

114. Eric - May 16, 2013 at 3:18 AM

"That's just ridiculous. Those types of things don't cancel each other out. Wish they did."LOL! Thanks for keeping me in line. I'll go dig me serious pants out of the laundry…;)No, but really, Det REALLY needed that.

115. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 3:18 AM

Ramos is hurt now? Are you kidding me.

116. Eric - May 16, 2013 at 3:19 AM

Ugh, now Ramos?!?!

117. EmDash - May 16, 2013 at 3:19 AM

Wilson again?! Jesus.We need to leave this stadium already.

118. Joe Seamhead - May 16, 2013 at 3:20 AM

Oh, no. Ramos is cursed. Damn!

119. EmDash - May 16, 2013 at 3:22 AM

Suzuki's option is gonna get triggered at this rate.

120. Gonat - May 16, 2013 at 3:23 AM

121. Joe Seamhead - May 16, 2013 at 3:24 AM

Come on, Danny! You are killing us.

122. do1teach1 - May 16, 2013 at 3:24 AM

Espi has the biggest swing in Washington since Austin Kearns. I would love to watch a tape of his swing (right or left-handed) with Eckstein and identify ANYTHING that is different from last year.Espinosa sucks.

123. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 3:24 AM

Espinosa got 2 fastballs high in the zone, right down the middle and whiffed on both. You're not going to get 2 better pitches than those.

124. Just wonderin' - May 16, 2013 at 3:25 AM

No one saw that coming, right?

125. NatsLady - May 16, 2013 at 3:25 AM

126. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 3:26 AM

We have NO starting pitching depth at all. We can't afford to lose Ross.

127. Joe Seamhead - May 16, 2013 at 3:28 AM

Not good, even for just one game to be down to one catcher.Who is our present emergency back up? And don't anyway say Harper.

128. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 3:30 AM

I may be way off, but for some reason I seem to think Werth is our emergency catcher. Not sure why that's in my mind. For obvious reasons, it wouldn't matter anyway.

129. Eric - May 16, 2013 at 3:30 AM

A'ight Nats, forget standings, this one's for Det and Ramos.

130. Gonat - May 16, 2013 at 3:33 AM

NatsLady said… Someone want to tell me again Rizzo isn't good at trades. Say "hello" to Kurt Suzuki. May 15, 2013 11:25 PM _____________________________I will agree on some of his trades but Kurt Suzuki was there for any team who wanted to absorb his salary. This trade was a money dump by the A's and in case anyone forgets, Kurt's A's slash was .218/.250/.286/.536 He was benched.Has it turned out good? Yes, but this wasn't thievery like Morse for Langerhans.

131. Joe Seamhead - May 16, 2013 at 3:33 AM

David, that's what I mean. Werth isn't here. Just don't let anything happen to Suzuki. I seriously would have burnt Perez as a pinch runner for Ramos rather then send Suzuki in cold to run. And, man, Zook's was cold, with no thought he'd play tonight.

132. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 3:34 AM

Not a single one of those pitches was a strike, Bernadina.

133. BigCat - May 16, 2013 at 3:34 AM

Couldn't tell the difference between Greinke's swing and Espi's

134. Eric - May 16, 2013 at 3:36 AM

OK, FP and Carp said so now I don't feel silly for asking… Why not Stammen to start if Det is on the DL?

135. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 3:37 AM

It will likely be Stammen or Duke. Stammen wasn't a good starter, his ERA was around 5, but he might be able to do it in a pinch.

136. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 3:38 AM

Looks like Harper is the emergency catcher, Mark said.

137. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 16, 2013 at 3:39 AM

as Ramos got injured Big Cat called me for a rules question in high school baseball.Espi came up and as we predicted he would strike out missing the ball by a foot or so. I think he does need his eyes checked.Big Cat told me o ignore tge Eck lovers. great advise.Stammen looked good.If we botger to stay up late to watch this and then go to work, they should st least win the series.

138. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 3:40 AM

Greinke's leaving the game. The Dodgers bullpen is bad. We're only down 1 run. No reason not to win this game now.

139. Gonat - May 16, 2013 at 3:41 AM

Again, Greinke looking shaky and Lombo with a lousy AB.

140. do1teach1 - May 16, 2013 at 3:41 AM

I guess we've all worked in a bunch of organizations. The great ones I've worked in had a vibe, a tangible sense of culture, a sense of "winning."This group just doesn't have the vibe of 2012. I know we could be in first place if we pull this game out tonight, but this group is just different, in a negative way.I think the cultural difference in this team–the plain loss–is Morse. I mean, Nats fans are still singing his song at the 7th inning stretch–how pathetic is that?We have exchanged the sunny, optimistic, Washington-reflecting Mikey Mo, for the taunt of the shirt-pull of Soriano.It just doesn't feel right for Washington.

141. Eric - May 16, 2013 at 3:41 AM

"I think he does need his eyes checked."That and/or stop swinging in boldface all the time.

142. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 3:42 AM

Oh give me a freaking break, do1teach1.

143. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 16, 2013 at 3:44 AM

Lombo is not much better than Espi except he usually hits the ball, bu twice he made third out where a hit would bring RZim up with guys in scoring position..I see Big Cat used the same line he used on the phone. Greinke and Espi similar strike outs.

144. peric - May 16, 2013 at 3:46 AM

Why not Stammen to start if Det is on the DL?Very good choice, wonderful idea. Two caveats.1. Stammen and Mattheus are the most effective relievers in the bullpen right now. Soriano is on the fence. The others are struggling to some extent.2. Strammen has problems getting through five innings as a starter in the major leagues with his retinue of pitches.

145. peric - May 16, 2013 at 3:47 AM

Oh give me a freaking break, do1teach1.It is an interesting perspective I hadn't considered.

146. Eric - May 16, 2013 at 3:48 AM

Gotcha re: longevity, peric. Kinda wondered about that.Also agree losing Stammen as a long man would hurt…a lot.

147. peric - May 16, 2013 at 3:49 AM

Someone want to tell me again Rizzo isn't good at trades. Say "hello" to Kurt Suzuki.And don't forget Espinosa is the hot swappable replacement for Desmond with nothing lost defensively at shortstop. There is no one else in the organization capable of that.

148. do1teach1 - May 16, 2013 at 3:49 AM

Well-made counter-argument, David Proctor. Georgetown Law clearly gave you all the tools you need for incisive, insightful debate.I hesitate, as a laymen, to summarize the majesty of your counterpoint. Still, haltingly, I try and capture your message.Please, Your Honor, see if I've captured your intellectual summa here:"Oh give me a freaking break, do1teach1."Wow. Can't wait to hear your oral arguments before the Supreme Court of the United States.

149. EmDash - May 16, 2013 at 3:50 AM

Generally a positive clubhouse comes from winning a lot. They seem less happy so far because they're winning less consistently and so many guys are so banged up.

150. BxJaycobb - May 16, 2013 at 3:51 AM

For the folks who get annoyed when we ask for ecks head: just to give you an example of a couple extraordinarily obvious hitting issues which a hitting coach should have really addressed or tried to address: Bernadina is lunging at the plate so that his head is moving in the load position. You don't have a prayer of making contact when your head is so free and destabilized. He also is upper cutting under every pitch (EVERY. PITCH) by dropping his hands. Espinoza hips are flying open as he brings his leg kick down so that he is either under pitches or unable to get to them. Desi although he's been solid recently went up tonight and pulled off pitches first at bat. Same second at bat. Now it's unfair to demand results, but it's fair to ask why no adjustments whatsoever are being made to players swings when they are going up to the dish with a clear mechanical flaw.

151. peric - May 16, 2013 at 3:52 AM

I'm just sick on all these injuries. Then I get to watch Espinosa. Greinke throws him a mistake pitch that should have been hit out and Espi whiffs at it.And Danny just happens to be one of those who are injured. He may be pulling the LaRoche of 2 years ago. He may after all need that surgery to his shoulder. But if you lose him and Desmond goes down. Then what? Think about that for awhile.

152. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 3:52 AM

I don't have a problem with asking for Eck's head. There are legitimate argues against Eck. My issue is with MNF because he/she feels the need to bring it up in every. single. post. It's tiring to read over and over and over.

153. Scott Margenau - May 16, 2013 at 3:55 AM

I'm not an espi fan at all. Plz get rid of him n play lombo daily. Guaranteed 1-2 hits more. But 1a? Love her posts, n wit. Got her back :-)

154. Eric - May 16, 2013 at 3:55 AM

I happen to agree that the Morse excuse is just that. For instance, Stras isn't 1-5 because Mikey isn't DJing in the clubhouse or whatever.The only sad thing about the A Ha tune is that it became a thing in the first place. JMO though ;)

155. do1teach1 - May 16, 2013 at 3:56 AM

We are in the presence of the jurist, David Proctor.It was he who wrote, "There are legitimate argues against Eck."I agree, Justice Proctor. No one could argument otherwise.

156. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 16, 2013 at 3:56 AM

i believe that was the first at bat in LA that RZim had a bad approach.Pitch on the outside black and tried to pull it for odd reason. 90% of the tim is simple ground out. So it makes no sense to do.The rest of the series he has driven to right and looked great.Not sure why the change.

157. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 3:56 AM

The Nats almost got this guy. JP Howell. Wish we would have.

158. EmDash - May 16, 2013 at 3:57 AM

Lombo hasn't gotten a hit today either, unless I missed something…

159. peric - May 16, 2013 at 3:57 AM

Well-made counter-argument, David Proctor. Georgetown Law clearly gave you all the tools you need for incisive, insightful debate.I don't think he was insulting you do1teach1 I believe he was taken aback in surprise. Your observations are provocative and certainly a feasible explanation for some of what we've seen so far. Throw in the loss of DeRosa Davey's original choice for right handed bat off the bench …

160. Joe Seamhead - May 16, 2013 at 3:58 AM

As to Espinosa needing an eye exam: it may be true, but it wouldn't do any good what so ever if he doesn't keep his head down on the ball. He's been seriously throwing his head out every left handed at bat for days.Maybe he should bite his shirt like Bryce did a few weeks ago.

161. peric - May 16, 2013 at 4:00 AM

The only sad thing about the A Ha tune is that it became a thing in the first place.People like to try to hit the high note and laugh at themselves. And cheer themselves for trying.Think Michael Morse slapping his helmet telling himself I done good! Then getting Jayson Werth to do it when he was in that slump. The seem to fit with each other … Morse was kind of a lovable geek. Perfect for DC.

162. Sec. 3, My Sofa - May 16, 2013 at 4:02 AM

It's Digging Up Old Posts Night?? Cool.I found some:natsfan1a said…Harpo was probably my fave, 'cause he was so sweet. :-) April 16, 2012 10:26 AM Section 3, My PFB Sofa said… I started out a Groucho acolyte, but came around to Harpo, for the same reason. Chico was apparently a very charismatic guy (hence the appellation–he was Prince Charming, not Prince Faithful). Someone (I forget who) said of them, that if you talk to Chico for five minutes you'll think he's the greatest guy in the world. If you talk to Harpo for five minutes, you'll think you are.What a great quality in a person.

163. Eric - May 16, 2013 at 4:03 AM

I would by no means lament a return of Morse, but he is by no means the snake oil for what ails us, IMO.

164. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 16, 2013 at 4:05 AM

Actually I only bring up the removing of Eck, when there is a obvious situation where you can tell a flaw in the approch was repeated from the previous game. it becomes obvious they are not communicating.Just saying.Would stop al together if the poor effort would stop.

165. Sec. 3, My Sofa - May 16, 2013 at 4:05 AM

I like Take On Me, I just think it will get old by about July 4, and then get a second wind, so to speak, if they are contending in September.

166. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 4:06 AM

Here comes Espinosa to kill the rally. Ugh.

167. Scott Margenau - May 16, 2013 at 4:07 AM

Crap. Com on espi!!

168. Sec. 3, My Sofa - May 16, 2013 at 4:07 AM

Wow, that was a nice hit by Zuki there–dug that right out.

169. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 4:07 AM

Right on cue.

170. Gonat - May 16, 2013 at 4:08 AM

First pitch swinging Espinosa. 2 more left on base. RISP all night for him.Thanks Davey!

171. Just wonderin' - May 16, 2013 at 4:08 AM

Anyone not see that coming?

172. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 4:09 AM

What do you want Davey to do? Lombo is 0-3 tonight as well.

173. Just wonderin' - May 16, 2013 at 4:09 AM

Anyone know Rendon's cell phone number? Anyone = Mike Rizzo.

174. Drew - May 16, 2013 at 4:10 AM

Just a black hole.Rendon, Kobernus, Walters, Martinson…Bueller?

175. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 4:10 AM

Adam Kilgore ‏@AdamKilgoreWP 1mTyler Moore is warming up the pitcher between innings. Emergency catcher giveaway?That's interesting.

176. Joe Seamhead - May 16, 2013 at 4:11 AM

And peric is correct about Danny's value as the only viable emergency shortstop, and also on Stamman's value in the pen. Let's hope Det's pull, or whatever it is isn't serious.Question: if a batting coach works with a player, points out what he's doing wrong, and then the player continues to do the same thing, is it on the coach?

177. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 16, 2013 at 4:12 AM

In fact I would on his bandwagon if we were third in runs scored instead of third from the bottom.Easy fixHow long til Espi is on yhe bench. Comes up 3 times with man on twice in scoring position and he is terrible. Last one he jogged to first.

178. Eric - May 16, 2013 at 4:12 AM

"I like Take On Me"I just personally can't stand herd activities like that. Nothing against people getting into it, just don't get the appeal. Same thing with the wave.Of course, that said, the movement to kill the wave puts me on the side of the wavers ;)

179. Gonat - May 16, 2013 at 4:12 AM

David Proctor said… What do you want Davey to do? Lombo is 0-3 tonight as well. May 16, 2013 12:09 AM ___________________________Who's clamoring for Lombo? Most of us want Rendon.

180. Sec. 3, My Sofa - May 16, 2013 at 4:12 AM

Missed it by |…| this much.

181. EmDash - May 16, 2013 at 4:13 AM

Tyler as emergency catcher! I. Would not have expected that.

182. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 4:13 AM

183. Scott Margenau - May 16, 2013 at 4:13 AM

Lol this guy looks like the hitter from "major League"

184. Eric - May 16, 2013 at 4:14 AM

"Tyler Moore is warming up the pitcher between innings. Emergency catcher giveaway?"Damn! I should post my "weird" ideas after all.

185. Joe Seamhead - May 16, 2013 at 4:14 AM

Nice double play execution.

186. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 4:14 AM

Craig Stammen is so, so underrated. He has been one of the true stars of the team thus far, imo.

187. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 16, 2013 at 4:15 AM

it is clear what I want is a hitter. 2 full seasons of pathetic average is long enough.bring Rendon.

188. Just wonderin' - May 16, 2013 at 4:15 AM

39 pitches. Another inning for Stammen?

189. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 4:16 AM

Doubt it with the pitcher coming up this inning.

190. Sec. 3, My Sofa - May 16, 2013 at 4:16 AM

I just personally can't stand herd activities like that. "Herd activities" … well, I suppose. I prefer to think of them as rituals, part of the liturgy in the Church of Baseball. Besides, we are herd animals. People who want to be a lone wolf don't know anything about wolves. (Not that you did that, it just makes me want to go get Marshall McLuhan.)

191. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 16, 2013 at 4:16 AM

@David Proctor. We agree on Stammen.We dont agree on Eck.Not sure we agree on Espi

192. Gonat - May 16, 2013 at 4:17 AM

David Proctor said… Rendon needs to play at least some in Syracuse before we bring him up permanently. May 16, 2013 12:13 AM _________________________Why?

193. EmDash - May 16, 2013 at 4:17 AM

Rendon still has little professional experience at second. It's a really important defensive position to sacrifice for offense, no matter how sad our offense is.

194. Scott Margenau - May 16, 2013 at 4:17 AM

David P. it's one night. So what if he's 0-3. That guys a high 270 plus hitter full time, and a wayyyy better fielder than we give him credit for. Im bummed about the injuries…but at least it's early.Wait! Can we still say that FO???Ps: don't make fun of typos – wtf? That's just dumb. Most of us have big thumbs on 4-9inch pads. Pick your battles….

195. BxJaycobb - May 16, 2013 at 4:18 AM

Mannassas Nats. Agreed, but I think it was less him trying to pull it and more that he got fooled with off speed and rolled over the ball simply by being of in front. You never of rarely see RZimm hit off speed to right…usually he pulls that stuff and drives fastballs to oppo field. That's why soft stuff away is a good pitch. To summarize, I think Zack just made a solid pitch and fooled him…not so much a worse approach. Thoughts…

196. Eric - May 16, 2013 at 4:19 AM

TMo coming to bat for another sure thing.Prove me wrong… Please!

197. Joe Seamhead - May 16, 2013 at 4:20 AM

Come on, Tyler!

198. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 16, 2013 at 4:20 AM

Roger didnt swing any more than those otger check. (Ofcourse I think most of those are called wrong and should be strikes)

199. Sec. 3, My Sofa - May 16, 2013 at 4:20 AM

Tyler needs a hit. Pretty soon he won't be hitting the average age in here.

200. Scott Margenau - May 16, 2013 at 4:20 AM

I love Ty mo but he always starts 0-2 it seems. Take a pitch man…

201. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 4:21 AM

At least Tyler has lasted more than 3-4 pitches this time.

202. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 4:22 AM

That was a ball.

203. Scott Margenau - May 16, 2013 at 4:22 AM

Bad call

204. Sec. 3, My Sofa - May 16, 2013 at 4:22 AM

It's kind of hard for me to see the season slipping away when they are a two-run homer away from being in first place.OK, that was about two baseballs outside. TMo does not need that.

205. Gonat - May 16, 2013 at 4:23 AM

It seems like every time TyMo steps into the batters box he starts out 0-2.

206. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 16, 2013 at 4:23 AM

Way outside, but dont leave it in the ump's hand

207. Joe Seamhead - May 16, 2013 at 4:23 AM

208. Eric - May 16, 2013 at 4:24 AM

""Herd activities" … well, I suppose. I prefer to think of them as rituals, part of the liturgy in the Church of Baseball. Besides, we are herd animals. People who want to be a lone wolf don't know anything about wolves."Not to get to far afield, but I'm not a fan of rote ritual in general (see: Macarana, religious services). I am all about developing meaningful rituals on the "pack" level though.Decent at bat from Moore… too bad about the outcome.

209. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 16, 2013 at 4:25 AM

i expect to win. someone needs to just step up. Are thre leaders on the tea? If so then lead.

210. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 4:25 AM

Our best shot is gonna be either now or in the 8th. I don't like our chances against Jansen.

211. Gonat - May 16, 2013 at 4:26 AM

Is it time for Bryce to pinch-hit?

212. Just wonderin' - May 16, 2013 at 4:27 AM

213. Gonat - May 16, 2013 at 4:27 AM

Have to believe Jhonatan Solano will be brought up tomorrow.

214. EmDash - May 16, 2013 at 4:27 AM

But Manassas, if he'd swung at a ball and struck out we would have criticized him for that too. He didn't do anything wrong in that at-bat.They're bringing in a new pitcher to face Lombo. LOL Mattingly.

215. Eric - May 16, 2013 at 4:27 AM

Two of our three healthy bats are guaranteed an at bat next inning if not this one. Step up Nats!

216. BxJaycobb - May 16, 2013 at 4:28 AM

Do1teach1 I don't know you all that well because I'm not a super consistent poster, but the lawyer jokes are fairly annoying . They're just not that clever and the general snugness is vaguely intolerable. Now I am in fact a law student so perhaps it only seems stale because I hear nerds making the same comments a bunch, but still, on behalf of everyone….we get it. Ur making fun of somebody else picking law as a profession but not showing sophisticated deductive reasoning. Please no more. And with that I ask: what precisely makes Bernadina more worth playing than eury Perez, who's also a speedy and excellent outfielder but has a decent plate approach?

217. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 4:28 AM

Jansen not closing. Interesting. League has been awful this year.

218. Sec. 3, My Sofa - May 16, 2013 at 4:28 AM

I'm not a fan of rote ritual in general (see: Macarana, religious services). I am all about developing meaningful rituals on the "pack" level though.Interesting position, coming from a Deadhead. ; )I'm curious what would constitute "meaningful" in the context of thousands of people drinking beer and watching a kids' game being played by millionaires.

219. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 16, 2013 at 4:28 AM

This is Lombo's chance to step up. third time he came up with a runner on with 2 outs and a hot hitter on deck. First 2 were misserable failures. Time to get seriius

220. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 4:29 AM

What a lucky throw. Nothing going right.

221. BxJaycobb - May 16, 2013 at 4:30 AM

I like the stealing move. Didn't work out but bravo. Should be stealing more to try to make something happen.

222. EmDash - May 16, 2013 at 4:31 AM

Blergh. (Autocorrect tried to change that to bleach, which also feels appropriate.)

223. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 4:31 AM

Span's jump was great, nothing else he could do there. The throw just happened to get him on the back.

224. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 16, 2013 at 4:31 AM

Unlike last night, I think Davey's call was good. Span had agreat jump. What happened? With that jump the steal should have been a peace of cake. Did he stop for a cup of coffee?

225. Eric - May 16, 2013 at 4:31 AM

"Interesting position, coming from a Deadhead. ; )I'm curious what would constitute "meaningful" in the context of thousands of people drinking beer and watching a kids' game being played by millionaires."Pretty much nothing that extends beyond the people I'm there with…As for being a deadhead, I always wanted to attend shows in a business suit because everyone else always showed up in essentially the same uniform.

226. ehay2k - May 16, 2013 at 4:33 AM

I'm in LA tonight, can't get to the game. :-( I did get to hear Espi's rally-killing groundout called on the radio. Bottom line – he is pressing, injured, or both. For his own good, as well as that of the team, Espi needs to sit, at least for a couple games. If nothing else, it will give him a chance to rest his shoulder and perhaps for the doctors to do some tests on it. Maybe he can even see Werth's Dr.? If Bryce is back, then Lombo will play 2nd and continue to get AB's, which he needs.Espi can also go see the eye Dr. to make sure he is not legally blind.

227. Sec. 3, My Sofa - May 16, 2013 at 4:33 AM

As for being a deadhead, I always wanted to attend shows in a business suit because everyone else always showed up in essentially the same uniform.and a John Waters pencil moustache. That could work.

228. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 16, 2013 at 4:34 AM

With that jump and Span's speed no throw should have beaten him.His slide alittle high helped tgevdefense too.

229. Sec. 3, My Sofa - May 16, 2013 at 4:35 AM

It was a great throw, and the pitcher was quick to the plate.

230. Eric - May 16, 2013 at 4:37 AM

"and a John Waters pencil moustache. That could work."Ha! +1

231. Scott Margenau - May 16, 2013 at 4:37 AM

Hmmm. Clip looks sharp.

232. ehay2k - May 16, 2013 at 4:38 AM

And, what happened to Ramos tonight? Please tell me its not his knee!

233. Scott Margenau - May 16, 2013 at 4:39 AM

Anyone else have the annoying problem on iPad of this blog not updating and reverting back to 1-200 comment table rather than the current? Time for a theme update.

234. Eric - May 16, 2013 at 4:39 AM

Nice Clip!!!

235. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 4:39 AM

Didn't appear to be his knee, but it didn't appear to be anything. There wasn't really a noticeable moment where he pulled up lame.

236. NatsLady - May 16, 2013 at 4:40 AM

Nice inning by Clip. Get some runs, guys. Make him a winner!

237. Sec. 3, My Sofa - May 16, 2013 at 4:40 AM

If we're talking about rituals, how about one that generates some hits? Or, better yet, some runs?That's not belief. That's desperation.

238. Eric - May 16, 2013 at 4:40 AM

eBay, I'm guessing hammy.

239. Scott Margenau - May 16, 2013 at 4:41 AM

Ehay. Hammy!

240. Eric - May 16, 2013 at 4:42 AM

Haha, eBay = ehay.Heart of the order on deck. Step up!

241. BxJaycobb - May 16, 2013 at 4:42 AM

Does nobody have any info on Det or Ramos injuries? I'm watching Scully telecast. FP or Carp got anything? Mark Z? Kilgore? Anybody?

242. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 16, 2013 at 4:42 AM

Lombo needs a hit

243. Scott Margenau - May 16, 2013 at 4:42 AM

Ha, I almost made that eBay auto correct mistake too

244. Scott Margenau - May 16, 2013 at 4:43 AM

Omg is that Lombos wife??!!!!!

245. Eric - May 16, 2013 at 4:43 AM

OK! Nice. Do it Zim. Time to stop rubbing your eyes and get to work.

246. Eric - May 16, 2013 at 4:45 AM

Bx word on injuries is updates post game.

247. Scott Margenau - May 16, 2013 at 4:46 AM

Woot!!!

248. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 12:46 AM

That's a huge 1st to 3rd by Perez. Ball in the outfield ties this game. No out.

249. Gonat - May 16, 2013 at 4:46 AM

Finally the Nats get a break!

250. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 16, 2013 at 4:46 AM

Now score. perez runs like me.

251. Eric - May 16, 2013 at 4:46 AM

YES! OK LaRoche.

252. Sec. 3, My Sofa - May 16, 2013 at 4:46 AM

doublesteal?

253. Drew - May 16, 2013 at 4:47 AM

Good hustle, Eury.

254. BxJaycobb - May 16, 2013 at 4:47 AM

Finally a little luck. MAN. We earned that one with that broken bat AGon flare first inning. Need a little contact here Adam.

255. Scott Margenau - May 16, 2013 at 4:48 AM

Sofa. R u kidding? LolIf not u r nuts!!!

256. Sec. 3, My Sofa - May 16, 2013 at 4:48 AM

Nah.

257. BxJaycobb - May 16, 2013 at 4:48 AM

No idea why but I have a weird feeling that this AB has more importance around it than it should in May…

258. Eric - May 16, 2013 at 4:49 AM

Dammit

259. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 16, 2013 at 4:50 AM

Arggggg. Perez's speed needed only a few more feet.

260. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 4:50 AM

I have a bad feeling.

261. Sec. 3, My Sofa - May 16, 2013 at 4:51 AM

Just getting exuberant, and hoping to stay out of the double play if LaRoche doesn't get him in. Which he should have, there, CMON!! An aggressive rookie, a hot LH hitter up, no outs. Yes, I was kidding. I just wanted to say it first, because, well, then I'd be first!

262. Eric - May 16, 2013 at 4:53 AM

OK… What's up with the hacks? Swing easy and place it!

263. Scott Margenau - May 16, 2013 at 4:53 AM

I can't watch

264. Drew - May 16, 2013 at 4:54 AM

That is horrible.

265. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 16, 2013 at 4:54 AM

Dann you ALR and Desmond. just make contack Desi on the ground is a run

266. Scott Margenau - May 16, 2013 at 4:55 AM

DP why would u curse the board!!!!

267. Sec. 3, My Sofa - May 16, 2013 at 4:55 AM

LaRoche's ball was deep enough to send Perez.

268. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 4:56 AM

That is incredibly deflating. Wow. I don't even know.

269. Gonat - May 16, 2013 at 4:56 AM

1st and 3rd with no outs. That is hard to believe.

270. EmDash - May 16, 2013 at 4:57 AM

Oh, offense.

271. ehay2k - May 16, 2013 at 4:57 AM

Swing for the fences. That must be the team mantra. Desi would have done well to ease up a bit on his swing with 2 strikes.

272. Joe Seamhead - May 16, 2013 at 4:57 AM

That was depressing.We're toast. Bottom of the order in the 9th. Harper to PH? Doesn't seem promising.

273. DWS - May 16, 2013 at 4:58 AM

Shameful.

274. do1teach1 - May 16, 2013 at 4:58 AM

First and third and nobody out on a team that isn't hitting, and the fastest guy on the team on third…and I wait for the bunt.It never happens.We have the least imaginative coaching staff in baseball.

275. JoJo - May 16, 2013 at 5:00 AM

This is exactly what's wrong with the nationals… To be an elite club they need to be able to manufacture a run. They are too flukey. Sheesh, love me some Nats but we need to learn how to play the game right fellas…

276. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 16, 2013 at 5:00 AM

We need a fly ball by either ALR or Desi neither bother to do a deep enough one.Syzuki we dont need a fly we need a hit, and he hits the fly.Go figure.All Desi needed was contact with JZim running and swings hard through it.thats approach again. with 2 strikes and you want to make contact you shorte the swing Been that way sincefirst watched ball in 1959. No Desi swings hard anyway. Which is fine only if you make contact.You can fill in the rest about not nderstanding the need at the time.

277. DWS - May 16, 2013 at 5:02 AM

Agreed, manager takes another one. Desi can't bunt?To wake this team up?And Danny must make a choice.

278. do1teach1 - May 16, 2013 at 5:02 AM

First and third and nobody out, and I'm waiting for the bunt, from a Nats team that cannot score runs.The bunt never comes, even though our fastest runner is on third.The lack of imagination in our coaching staff is staggering.

279. Sec. 3, My Sofa - May 16, 2013 at 5:03 AM

It's been that way since 1859, MNF.The phrase last year was "situational hitting."

280. ehay2k - May 16, 2013 at 5:04 AM

Mark Z – someone needs to ask Davey about our hitters' approach with two strikes, whether he thinks sometimes it's good to shorten the swing, etc. Maybe it's just philosophy? It has to be something…

281. EmDash - May 16, 2013 at 5:04 AM

This has bad inning written all over it.

282. Sec. 3, My Sofa - May 16, 2013 at 5:05 AM

The book play is to play for a tie at home, and a lead on the road. Probably what Davey was trying to do, there, with his best hitters coming up.

283. Joe Seamhead - May 16, 2013 at 5:06 AM

Well, Drew has pitched us in to a fine pickle.

284. Just wonderin' - May 16, 2013 at 5:06 AM

Just checked: Run expectancy when you have runners at first and third with zero outs = 1.8.

285. BxJaycobb - May 16, 2013 at 5:06 AM

So I guess Storen in all his years in the minors literally never learned how to hold anybody on base. Just do the weird dead leg thing despite the fact that it takes 20 minutes? Is that how it works? This team's really lost it. Not sure how. But whatever it was, they dont have it this year. That's the most negative thing I've ever posted in this space. I've been a believer since the beginning. But tonight was pathetic in almost every respect, Stammen being the exception.

286. do1teach1 - May 16, 2013 at 5:07 AM

It just happened AGAIN!Again, going back to Game 5, Storen fails to hold the runner, who steals in the 8th inning with NO THROW.This is a joke bullpen. I heard a call on 106.7 to Rizzo before Game 5 last year, asking if our relievers would learn how to hold runners. Rizzo said no sweat, we've got that covered.Then it happened in Game 5.Now it happens every night, including tonight. Paging Mr. Rizzo?

287. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 16, 2013 at 5:08 AM

You know the hitting approach of ALR and Desi made no sense, but again. i am not surprised as their not stressed to do the crect swing.Storen I dont get him at all. last 5 appearences have drove me crazy. He needs to solve his problemFor those who lost track we are 0 for 7 RISP.

288. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 5:08 AM

Carl Crawford knows how to situationally hit…

289. EmDash - May 16, 2013 at 5:09 AM

Our relievers have never been good at holding people on base, that's not new.

290. JoJo - May 16, 2013 at 5:10 AM

Sheeeeesh. The inability to grind out a run when you need to, or come through in the clutch is most frustrating. That's the difference between good teams and elite teams. Love my Nats but man… Heartbreaking that we have such great potential, but don't come through when we need to

291. Just wonderin' - May 16, 2013 at 5:10 AM

Anyone want to bet the Nats score one (and just one) run in the 9th?

292. Sec. 3, My Sofa - May 16, 2013 at 5:11 AM

Like I said earlier, before this annoying couple of innings: they are [now three] runs away from being in first place, and a game out of first if they lose. Hard to call that a lost season.

293. Eric - May 16, 2013 at 5:11 AM

I think ALR was going for sac fly, just got under it too much…

294. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 16, 2013 at 5:11 AM

Crawford understood exactly what do .Storen las 2 games has been pitiful. Created Cub disaster and made this almost impossible. thanks Drew.Just for you David Proctor I am pretty sure Eck will say nothing to the guys.

295. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 5:12 AM

Well Brandon League has sucked. So there's that.

296. JoJo - May 16, 2013 at 5:13 AM

We were in this same exact position last year at the end of the dodger serious… Not a déjà vu I wanna have. We need to get it together and grind out some wins and not make every other teams 1-5 pitchers look like Cy Young winners…

297. Eric - May 16, 2013 at 5:14 AM

Sec.3 I'm with ya. All isn't lost by any stretch, but that top of the eighth was brutal!

298. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 5:14 AM

Well to be fair, Kershaw and Greinke are both actually Cy Young winners/contenders. But point well taken.

299. do1teach1 - May 16, 2013 at 5:14 AM

Just knowing Espi is leading off gives me total confidence.

300. BxJaycobb - May 16, 2013 at 5:15 AM

I just don't understand how night after night people are just showing up and failing. Every night. Storen blows the lead. Next appearance. Loads the bases up and cant keep the game close. Danny. Can't make contact. Bernie. Can't make contact. T Mo. It's just remarkable. Does this coaching staff even give a damn at this point? You have professional. baseball players. Unable to put the ball in play. Every night. Zero sign of improvement. Zero sign of making adjustments. You tell yourself it can't keep going on like this because nobody besides the Mets and Marlins are so anemic, and this team was picked to win the WS. And yet there they are, going up 1-2-3 each inning. It's amazing to watch. Chances Danny fails to make contact here are astronomical.

301. Eric - May 16, 2013 at 5:17 AM

Wow… Espi hits!

302. BxJaycobb - May 16, 2013 at 5:17 AM

There you go. Reverse lock. Could've used it with people on, but we'll take it.

303. Sec. 3, My Sofa - May 16, 2013 at 5:18 AM

And the chances that people in here will piss and moan all the way through the playoffs is asymptotically approaching 100%.

304. JoJo - May 16, 2013 at 5:18 AM

Touché Proctor, touché…

305. Eric - May 16, 2013 at 5:19 AM

DP neutralized… OK…

306. DWS - May 16, 2013 at 5:20 AM

They can be a game out of first all season long. As long as every team in the NL East keeps losing.The point is they're not scoring runs when they should and giving them up when they shouldn't.The blame game is a beautiful thing but I can see ONE change has to be made.Surgery or beautiful upstate NY.Simple.

307. BxJaycobb - May 16, 2013 at 5:20 AM

Lol asymptotically. love it.

308. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 5:23 AM

Yesterday's loss wasn't tough to swallow. This one is.

309. BxJaycobb - May 16, 2013 at 5:23 AM

p.s. there will be no pissing and moaning if we make the playoffs, at least not from me. There will be pissing and moaning when Danny Espinosa gets playing time. Until he doesn't, because he doesn't belong in the major leagues.

310. Sec. 3, My Sofa - May 16, 2013 at 5:23 AM

I stole that joke from Edward Tufte, BxJaycobb.

311. Johnny Choi - May 16, 2013 at 5:24 AM

Congrat Davey!! You always late.Time to retire.

312. Eric - May 16, 2013 at 5:25 AM

Today Espi got a hit and LaRoche finally went yard again. So there's that.Note to brace for news about Det and Ramos.

313. JaneB - May 16, 2013 at 5:25 AM

Sounds like Solano on twitter celebrating good fortune. Expect poor Wilson on the DL. DARN. But I actually mean something stronger.

314. Eric - May 16, 2013 at 5:26 AM

Note = now

315. Johnny Choi - May 16, 2013 at 5:26 AM

Congrat Davey!You always late!Time to retire. Thank you.

316. David Proctor - May 16, 2013 at 5:33 AM

Amanda Comak ‏@acomak 57sWilson Ramos re injured his hamstring. Out a while Davey said. Detwiler just a spasm they think. Hope he won't miss start.

317. DWS - May 16, 2013 at 5:36 AM

A simpler way of looking at it is unless this team cares about this season, this season is lost. If not for JZimm this season might be already.And Sec3 duly noted. Followed this team since "69.But this is embarrassing. Fundamentals are lacking everywhere. And decisions are questionable.

318. Johnny Choi - May 16, 2013 at 5:37 AM

Lost two series against two worst team each division.If there is no self-destruction by their starting pitcher, Nats cannot overcome one or two run deficit no matter who starts for us. Randy, Pedro you name it.This line-up needs surgery. Bench players hitting avg is below 0.150, avg OBP of whole line-up is worst in baseball, and our great prospect Danny StrikeOut Espinosa is the second worst hitter in All baseball. We cannot fix all of these offense problem at a time, only thing we can hope is let Davey retire quickly and have a nice day at caribean shore.Don't waste your 3 hours watching whole game.Chk it out on gameday and get back to TV when things get fixed.

319. SonnyG10 - May 16, 2013 at 5:39 AM

Phooey!

320. NatsLady - May 16, 2013 at 5:54 AM

Well, that was annoying. Not sure the Dodgers are the worst team in the NL West, I think the Padres are. But that eighth inning was a killer, top and bottom. Dodgers were motivated to win this for Greinke. We gotta get moving. Luckily, for right now, the Barves are barfing, and the Fillies lost.

321. Laddie Blah Blah - May 16, 2013 at 6:00 AM

"Let's hope Det's pull, or whatever it is isn't serious."Davey said in the post game that it was a muscle spasm and that it wasn't serious. Hope he's right. Detwiler has been solid all year, with little run support.Davey was much more concerned about Ramos. Same hamstring as last time, and he will be out for a while.

322. NatsLady - May 16, 2013 at 6:05 AM

Laddie, we can survive with Suzuki. But I hope Werth's hamstring is healed.

323. Steamer - May 16, 2013 at 6:14 AM

You guys have to relax the Nats are only one game back at least your not 11 back like the Angels

324. NatsLady - May 16, 2013 at 6:27 AM

Steamer–yep. Every team in the NL East lost today. No panic. Just an annoying game, but not as annoying (to me) as the game when Davey pulled Gio. :)

325. Laddie Blah Blah - May 16, 2013 at 6:45 AM

"Laddie, we can survive with Suzuki. But I hope Werth's hamstring is healed."I really like Suzuki. He's such a small guy for a catcher that he needs a day off, now and then, to keep from running down. He started to hit, again, after Ramos came back, and his workload was reduced.Werth should be back soon. He played a few innings in Potomac tonight and had a hit, and an outfield assist. Last year the Nats had injuries early on to major players , but they usually were able to eke out the wins in low scoring games. Having Werth and Harper back, soon, will change the lineup and give them a psychological boost. Davey needs one.Davey looked really down in the post-game presser. This season is starting to wear on him. Tomorrow is a great opportunity for Strasburg to come through with a clutch win, put the smile back on his skipper's face, and make everybody happy.Hey, we're still only 1 game back, and we've got our numero uno going tomorrow night. Strasburg could put us back into a 1st place tie.

326. Secret wasian man - May 16, 2013 at 7:13 AM

Who cares if the braves or phillies lost. This team is completely inept. A real bore fest. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz. They absolutely reek of mediocrity. Maybe.

327. JayB - May 16, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Davey is reaping the what comes from country club spring trainings. He let them do their own thing. He encouraged them to work 90 mins or less a day. That is what 10 year olds practice in little league. He trusted them to get ready and they are not…it is too late now.

328. Dan Strong - May 16, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Man… This team does not take advantage of opportunities. We should be 2 games up on the braves right now. But our offense continues to let us down over and over again without so much as a whisper of change from Rizzo or Davey. Its really frustrating knowing that this team has basically lost if the other team scores first. It could be one run in the first inning and I'd bet that these guys wouldn't be able to get it back. I'm so tired if the total lack of situational hitting on this club.

329. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 16, 2013 at 10:59 AM

0 for 9 RISPLombo twice ended innings with base runner (s) on and didn't all RZim to hit. Then the time he leads off he hits and RZim gets a hit.Espi 3 times the catcher gets a hit and Espi follows with an out (i believe all final outs). Ten the last at bat leads off with a hit.Both those guys were in position to really help the cause, bu couldn't get hits when it mattered most.

330. mick - May 16, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Watched the whole game as I always do, but, took Coach SJM's advice and slept on it before posting as much as I was tempted to after the 8th. I am still frustrated and mad. The injuries had NOTHING to do with 3 so called solid hitters STINING it up with lame hits and KO's. This is so typical of a 500 team that is over rated, one night a the hot hitters cool donw and the 1 for 15 guys hit with of course nobody on base. Reminds me again of the sorry Senators of 1971. ALR, lame pop out and Desomond's KO was simply TERRIBLE. Worst of all is Storen…I forgave him for game 5, but i will tell you, his performances keep reminding me of game five and I am getting done with him, as I said he is has let his team down time and time again, not that t would have mattered in the 9th as the Nats bats are PATHETIC!