May 15, 2013, 5:05 PM EST
|Photo by USA Today|
By Michael Huberman
Gio Gonzalez, SP – 0-0/0.00 ERA/7 IP/2 H/6 SO
At just 86 pitches through seven innings against the Cubs, it seemed Gio Gonzalez was well on his way to completing his best start since April 25 against Cincinnati. But with a 1-0 lead, Davey Johnson elected to pinch-hit for Gio, only to see the Cubs come back to win 2-1 on Sunday. Regardless of whether Johnson made the right call, Gonzalez has been excellent in his last two starts, giving up seven hits and two runs while striking out 11 in his last 13 innings.
Ian Desmond, SS – 9-22/2 HR/2 2B/4 R/1.253 OPS
As Desmond’s assault on the baseball continues, so does his ascension as one of the best offensive shortstops in the major leagues. He’s currently second among shortstops in doubles (13), third in homers (6), third in slugging (.527) and 3rd in OPS (.843). On the negative side, he currently leads all shortstops with seven errors.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Dodgers
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Joe Ross take the next step?
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Gio Gonzalez be more consistent?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Stephen Strasburg's contract year
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- Report: All-Star catcher Lucroy has Nats on no-trade list