May 15, 2013, 5:05 PM EDT
|Photo by USA Today|
By Michael Huberman
Gio Gonzalez, SP – 0-0/0.00 ERA/7 IP/2 H/6 SO
At just 86 pitches through seven innings against the Cubs, it seemed Gio Gonzalez was well on his way to completing his best start since April 25 against Cincinnati. But with a 1-0 lead, Davey Johnson elected to pinch-hit for Gio, only to see the Cubs come back to win 2-1 on Sunday. Regardless of whether Johnson made the right call, Gonzalez has been excellent in his last two starts, giving up seven hits and two runs while striking out 11 in his last 13 innings.
Ian Desmond, SS – 9-22/2 HR/2 2B/4 R/1.253 OPS
As Desmond’s assault on the baseball continues, so does his ascension as one of the best offensive shortstops in the major leagues. He’s currently second among shortstops in doubles (13), third in homers (6), third in slugging (.527) and 3rd in OPS (.843). On the negative side, he currently leads all shortstops with seven errors.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Fister still working out mechanical glitches
- Nationals again can't beat struggling Reds
- Span, Escobar exit game vs. Reds with apparent injuries
- Max Scherzer gets All-Star nod, two Nats left out
- Live Thread: Nationals open series vs. Reds
- More revealing Bryce Harper Body Issue photos released
- Bryce Harper makes decision on Home Run Derby
- Nationals sweep Giants behind Zimmermann, Ramos
- Two Giants ejected after arguing call vs. Nationals
- Live Thread: Nationals face Giants in Sunday night matchup