Injuries mounting

May 16, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT

Associated Press
Wilson Ramos hunches over after injuring himself last night.

Every ballclub has to deal with injuries over the course of a season, and the good ones are able to overcome them by stockpiling depth and having Plan B and Plan C in place for such events. The Nationals certainly showed that one year ago, overcoming the extended losses of Jayson Werth, Michael Morse, Drew Storen, Wilson Ramos, Ryan Zimmerman and Ian Desmond and still winning an MLB-best 98 games.

But you can't help but have some sympathy for Davey Johnson and Co. right now. Though they've managed to avoid any devastating injuries to date, they just can't seem to get their eight regulars all healthy at the same time. Only five times in 40 games so far has Johnson submitted his Opening Day lineup card to umpires before first pitch.

And just when it looked like the Nationals were on the verge of being able to do that again — Bryce Harper has been cleared to return and Jayson Werth is due to come off the disabled list onRead more »

1. bowdenball - May 16, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Exposremains said…"Bowden ballIf not agreeing with you makes me stupid, I think you know what not agreeing with me makes you."I didn't call you stupid. I would never ever call a poster stupid. I don't even know you.All I know is what you said. I thought what you SAID was stupid, because it didn't make any sense. People describe things that don't make sense with that word all the time. And arguing that a team has a serious flaw because of a lack of walk-off wins when the best team in baseball also doesn't have any walk-off wins doesn't make any sense. Sorry, but it's true. I apologize if you took that as a personal slight, but it certainly wasn't intended that way, and if you read what I said again I think you'll see that.

2. Exposremains - May 16, 2013 at 5:06 PM

BowdenThanks for your feedback. I do think that saying I disagree with you because… is better than its stupid because…I also that come fom behind are good. I would like to see them make something happen during the later innings whether their ahead or behind.

3. bowdenball - May 16, 2013 at 5:12 PM

I do apologize for choosing inflammatory words. Even though I was targeting the idea and not the person, I could have chosen better words to do it.Although I think it's mostly just circumstance since there's only 21 wins overall, and also the product of having a mediocre offense, it is troubling that games these days feel like they're over if we're trailing after the 5th inning or so. I'm with you on that.

4. NatsLady - May 16, 2013 at 5:13 PM

5. Laddie Blah Blah - May 16, 2013 at 5:14 PM

"Laddie, loving your posts. I can just sit back and let you keep going as you're doing a great job!"Thanks, Ghost. The feeling is mutual. I like the give and take, but I've gotta run. See you next time.

6. peric - May 16, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Espinosa gets a hit. Of course its when nobody was on base.And it was when they desperately needed someone/anyone to get on to get something going at the end of the game. He didn't go for the fences he put the ball in play and got on just as he is supposed to right?Sheesh, this post is about injuries so again, I ask you to please ponder the what-if if Desmond goes down as he did last season? Zach Walters IS NOT in the same galaxy defensively that players like Espinosa, Desmond, and yes Anthony Rendon are. You're going to move Espinosa to shortstop and bring up Kobernus or you bring up the switch hitting Walters to sit behind Espinosa and Lombo. You aren't going to start Walters at shortstop if you have any playoff aspirations. Certainly another power hitting switch hitter would give Davey lots of options off the bench.Try thinking ahead and get past Espinosa's struggles. Because at some point they might just decide to send him off to get the shoulder surgery and if they do? You had damned well better hope Desmond lasts the season because if he doesn't you are going to have a huge defensive hole in the middle of the infield if both he and Espinosa aren't there.

7. peric - May 16, 2013 at 6:05 PM

mariners-shortstop-are-hitting-worse-than-nl-pitchersThey could move Morse back to shortstop Natslady … ~smiles~

8. Tcostant - May 16, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Dave said… I think MASN was actually supposed to settled almost two years ago. I think it's pretty outrageous that MLB, Bud & co. have let it languish this long. Sooner or later it's going to directly affect what the Nationals are able to do with player contracts. Me – I agree. I think Bud did have a good idea about trying to push for a Fox Sports purchase of MASN where Angelos would have got a huge payoff and the Nationals would have gotten some (13%?) and then a market based righte fee ($75M to $125M a year).It was a huge surprise when Angelos wasn't interested.Bud is going to have to set the rate, and the fact that the MASN agreement says the O's need to be paid the same as the Nationals is something that he needs to deal.He gave him a liveline, but he didn't take it. I expect a resolution by the All-star break.

9. peric - May 16, 2013 at 6:22 PM

It was a huge surprise when Angelos wasn't interested.No, its not. He's really PISSED/PO'ED at major league baseball and his venom is often spewed at the Lerners. You want a symptom? Do you think there will ever be any sort of transaction between the AL based Orioles and the Nats? I don't. Angelos is after the MLB for his perceived slight.