May 16, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Wilson Ramos hunches over after injuring himself last night.
Every ballclub has to deal with injuries over the course of a season, and the good ones are able to overcome them by stockpiling depth and having Plan B and Plan C in place for such events. The Nationals certainly showed that one year ago, overcoming the extended losses of Jayson Werth, Michael Morse, Drew Storen, Wilson Ramos, Ryan Zimmerman and Ian Desmond and still winning an MLB-best 98 games.
But you can't help but have some sympathy for Davey Johnson and Co. right now. Though they've managed to avoid any devastating injuries to date, they just can't seem to get their eight regulars all healthy at the same time. Only five times in 40 games so far has Johnson submitted his Opening Day lineup card to umpires before first pitch.
And just when it looked like the Nationals were on the verge of being able to do that again — Bryce Harper has been cleared to return and Jayson Werth is due to come off the disabled list onRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Gonzalez makes case for postseason start
- Bryce, Gio continue late-season surge in 6-2 win
- NL Playoff Outlook: What stars will give the Nationals trouble?
- LaRoche gets extra day off to rest ailing back
- Michael Jenkins takes walkoff pie to the face (VIDEO)
- Nats move on to Miami with Gio starting in hometown
- PHOTO: Kevin Durant rocks a Nats jersey
- UPDATE: Nats DFA Perez, claim Twins shortstop
- If healthy, Zimmerman should be in Nats lineup
- Post-clinch, Nationals rookies get chance to shine