May 16, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
|Photo by USA Today|
By Steve Roney
The top two spots in the rankings have held firm, with the Reds making a huge jump and Atlanta continuing to tumble. Here's how Nationals Insider Mark Zuckerman, Nats writer Chase Hughes, and I see the rest of the league shaking out:
1. Cardinals (26-13; LW: 1) – Roney: In St. Louis, having the best rotation equals having the best record — all five regular starters (who have made all but one start this season) have an ERA under 3.00.
2. Rangers (26-14; LW: 2) – Hughes: Led by Yu Darvish and Derek Holland, the Rangers have built the best starting rotation in the American League. Plus, 38-year-old Joe Nathan has been great as their closer.
3. Yankees (25-15; LW: 6) – Zuckerman: Vernon Wells: Utilityman? Hey, the Yankees are making it work right now.
4. Reds (24-16; LW: 12) – Roney: Jay Bruce's power is starting to come back, which is great news — even if he continues on his 200+ strikeout pace.
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Span proving skeptics wrong with summer surge
- Zimmermann, Nationals go fishing in Miami
- State of the Nats: Deal or no deal before the MLB trade deadline?
- Consistency propels Nationals to NL's best record
- Nationals hang on to beat Reds 4-2
- Instant analysis: Reds 1, Nationals 0
- Roark, Nats win 4-1, hand Reds seventh-straight loss
- Denard Span leading the way for Nats in July
- Roark, Nats look to bounce back in Game 100 of 2014 season
- The Baseball Show: Should the Nats make a trade? (VIDEO)