May 17, 2013, 10:08 PM EST
USA Today Sports Images
The Nationals go for two in a row at Petco Park.
Nothing like a dominant Stephen Strasburg outing and a rare offensive explosion to make everybody feel better, right? The Nationals certainly got back on track last night thanks to eight strong innings from their would-be ace and some offensive fireworks from Bryce Harper and Adam LaRoche.
Now they'll look to keep it going tonight against the Padres' starter, a young man by the name of Burch Smith. Yes, Burch Smith. He made his major-league debut six days ago against the Rays … and got knocked out after allowing six runs in one inning. So he boasts a career ERA of 54.00. Yikes. The 23-year-old right-hander, an 11th-round draft pick in 2011, did post a 1.15 ERA at Class AA, so he's obviously got some talent. But talk about being thrown to the wolves…
Gio Gonzalez gets the nod for the Nationals, looking to build off his really strong previous start in which he held the Cubs to two hits over seven innings but then was surprisingly pulled for a pinch-hitter and wound up with no decision.
Enjoy the game and the conversation. Chase will have you covered over the weekend, and then I'll be back on the case Monday…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at SAN DIEGO PADRES
Where: Petco Park
Gametime: 10:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 188
Weather: Partly cloudy, 64 degrees, Wind 7 mph LF to RF
CF Denard Span
LF Steve Lombardozzi
RF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Who is the Nats' best player at his position?
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: Wilmer Difo
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: A.J. Cole
- Report: LaRoche signs 2-year deal with White Sox
- Souza explains gift from Zimmermann: 'It was his moment'
- Nats sign RHP Billings for minor league depth
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas
- When should Nats' wave of prospects arrive?
- Nationals linked to top free agent Max Scherzer
- Nats add 4 players to 40-man roster, drop pair