Game 45: Nats at Giants

May 20, 2013, 10:50 PM EDT

Associated Press
Beautiful AT&T Park hosts the Nationals for the next three days.

What's the best cure for a struggling lineup? How about the return of its best hitter from injury? Bryce Harper is back tonight for the Nationals, having missed the last two games in San Diego over the weekend with a bruised knee (from his collision with the wall in L.A. one week ago). His presence in the No. 3 spot really does make that starting lineup look a lot more formidable, especially with Ryan Zimmerman and Adam LaRoche each on a tear at the plate right now.

The Nationals might need an offensive explosion tonight, because they're sending to the mound someone who wasn't in their original Opening Day rotation for the first time this season. With Ross Detwiler hampered by a slight oblique strain, Zach Duke gets the nod for his first MLB start since 2011. The veteran lefty has been erratic out of the bullpen so far, but his background is as a starter, so perhaps he'll be more comfortable taking the ball for the first inning tonight.

Duke will be working with Jhonatan Solano, getting a rare start behind the plate. Struggling Ryan Vogelsong is on the mound for the defending World Series champion Giants, who are struggling themselves at the moment and desperately need to get themselves back on track.

As you know, I'm not on this West Coast trip, but I'll be staying up late and watching along with the rest of you. Enjoy the game and the conversation…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS
Where: AT&T Park
Gametime: 10:15 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 189
Weather: Clear, 63 degrees, Wind 6 mph out to RF

CF Denard Span
2B Steve Lombardozzi
RF Bryce Harper

Read more ยป

1. MicheleS - May 20, 2013 at 10:53 PM

GYFNG!!! DO Zach! GO ONION!!!!SJM308.. I hope you are enjoying your time in SF! Cheer on our Boys!

2. Laddie Blah Blah - May 20, 2013 at 10:59 PM

What Michelle said, even if the Onion isn't in the lineup…;o)

3. phil dunton - May 20, 2013 at 11:04 PM

What ever happened to Roger Bernadina's bat? I wish we had a real hitting coach who could help some of these hitters who are totally lost.

4. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 20, 2013 at 11:05 PM

GYFNGLets have a big night.

5. Eric - May 20, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Yeah, I sure wish Bernie would triple or something…y'all know what I'm slayin?::: eyeroll :::

6. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 20, 2013 at 11:09 PM

laddie who is the onion? I must have missed hearing that before

7. Clip&Store - May 20, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Meant to ask before, why weren't you able to make it out west Mark?Also, The other great way to get the offense going? No espinosa!!

8. Dryw Loves the Nats - May 20, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Only one thing to say here (even though I'm hardly the first to say it):GYFNG!!!!!!!!

9. baseballswami - May 20, 2013 at 11:14 PM

I almost feel like some of these games are Davey's version of throwing people in the water just to see if they learn to swim or drown. Kind of a Survivor Nats. Will you move on or will you go to Syracuse? I hope they all click tonight. I love The Onion's energy and he would have caught Duke in Syracuse a lot, correct?

10. Eugene in Oregon - May 20, 2013 at 11:15 PM

MNF @ 7:09: Something along the lines of: Jhonatan Solano hitched a ride to his first professional try-out (or season or something) on the back of an onion truck, thus 'the onion' as a nickname.

11. baseballswami - May 20, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Eric- Bernie tripled recently, yes? Or was that another goonie?

12. Eric - May 20, 2013 at 11:17 PM

13. Anna Peregrina - May 20, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Solano is the Onion … came up in an onion truck or something …

14. Eric - May 20, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Swami, that comment of mine was deeply sarcastic in response to another post.

15. natsfan1a - May 20, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Go, Zach! Go, NATS!! Won't be watching (yawn) but will hope for a happy game results email in the morning.MNF, here's an entry from the NIDO glossary:The Onion/Cebolla No, not the satirical publication, but Nats prospect catcher Jhonatan Solano, recently recalled to replace the injured Wilson Ramos. So-named because he once rode to a tryout in a truck carrying people and produce. He sat next to the onions and a nickname was born. Per Nats Journal. May 29, 2012 8:12 PM

16. natsfan1a - May 20, 2013 at 11:19 PM

So, I guess I owe Eugene a drink now.(And I picked right up on your intent, Eric. :-))

17. Eric - May 20, 2013 at 11:20 PM

"I almost feel like some of these games are Davey's version of throwing people in the water just to see if they learn to swim or drown."Yeah, I definitely think he's using the injuries situation to experiment…

18. baseballswami - May 20, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Eric- not the only thing that had gone right over my head today…..

19. natsfan1a - May 20, 2013 at 11:25 PM

On a somewhat related note, Eric seems to appear twice in the NIDO "drinks owed to" column. I'd consolidate them but not sure whether we have more than one Eric.(The most recent thing to go over my head was a Brood II cicada. Actually, it almost flew into my face. But I digress.)

20. natsfan1a - May 20, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Oh, just noticed that there's a Bryce in the lineup. Yay!

21. Candide - May 20, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Swami – Bernie tripled yesterday with two outs. Then Espinosa came up.See if you can guess what he did on three pitches.

22. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 20, 2013 at 11:28 PM

thanks to all.

23. perspective dweeb - May 20, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Solano starting is nooooo surprise !Suzuki took too many pitches last night

24. Eugene in Oregon - May 20, 2013 at 11:36 PM

natsfan1a: Give my drink to one of those cicadas; I always liked them when we lived in the DC area.

25. baseballswami - May 20, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Candide– ouch. Tonight could be quite interesting. You know- it should be a slugfest, but will probably end up a pitcher's duel. Baseball can be a strange game that way. Of course, I will be asleep. I dislike starting my day by immediately needing to know how the game went. I am quite ashamed to admit that it sets the tone for my day.

26. sjm308 - May 20, 2013 at 11:58 PM

MicheleS – still in Napa for one more day! Crazy but they don't carry the Giants on the tv in our resort. Will be there in full force tomorrow – sec 104 but about 20 rows back!! Great reading all the comments on what could/should happen. Just have to think that when we are all healthy we will be ok. A win tonight would be a huge plus! Just someting we are not expecting. My spousal equivalent and I are wondering why we don't consider moving out here. Hardly any traffic, great restaurants, hiking, biking, weather and you don't want to know how many wineries we have visited.GYFNG!!

27. baseballswami - May 21, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Eugene– The Hills Are Alive With the Sound of Cicadas!!

28. Less Platu - May 21, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Good to be back — been traveling — but following Natsooh boy

29. Candide - May 21, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Did a little baseball-reference research, wanted to see who the player was who has the closest age-25 similarity score to Espinosa. Turns out it was Dale Sveum, who managed to get four or five sub-. 200 seasons in his career. Sveum was never a full-time player after age 25.

30. Less Platu - May 21, 2013 at 12:08 AM

anyone besides me think Davey looks bewildered and is not as into it as he once was?

31. baseballswami - May 21, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Following the Nats– take your Dramamine. The path is circuitous.

32. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 21, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Laddie Blah Blah said… Danny is not in a slump. He is who he is – the consistently easiest out in the lineup, and the least effective situational hitter I have ever seen.As much as I also believe Danny is lost at the plate, he is in a slump because we know he will progress to his mean which is about .235 BA but like I said 2 years ago that he has a real problem that ends most careers which is poor eye/hand coordination and can only be overcome by good mechanics and good plate discipline. His slump is possibly part physical with his shoulder then you add the bad mechanics and the poor plate discipline and you have a .160 hitter.Almost by BABIP you have think some of it is bad luck but his contact is poor. Its weak popups and weak grounders which usually don't go for hits.

33. baseballswami - May 21, 2013 at 12:18 AM

The fact that Adam honestly answered a question about Espi was very telling. We have heard time and again that he is hard headed- you cannot learn if you think you already know everything. Adam said Danny won't understand that it is mental and not physical. Keeps trying to fix it with more video and more hitting in the cage. So sad to think that others are trying to help him. I have had music students who were talented but not open to instruction. All the potential in the world will not lead anywhere if you cannot learn and grow and adjust.

34. blovy8 - May 21, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Espinosa is hurt. No one could be this bad otherwise.

35. baseballswami - May 21, 2013 at 12:24 AM

We know he has a bad rotator cuff. Maybe just have some surgery , rehab and hit the reset button. One problem– new manager after this year , who may not feel the same way about his potential.

36. Gonat - May 21, 2013 at 12:26 AM

blovy8 said… Espinosa is hurt. No one could be this bad otherwise. May 20, 2013 8:21 PM _________________________That sounds logical but he had a good Spring and had a great outing on his birthday. I think its more mental but as the 'experts' here keep saying he probably will be nothing better than a .220 to .240 type of hitter and it all starts with that Major League worse in swing and miss and his contact is poor.

37. David Proctor - May 21, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Davey says he had "an alarming report" about Werth following an MRI. Could be two more weeks before he's back. No bueno.UGH.

38. Cwj - May 21, 2013 at 12:30 AM

I have a good feeling about this game. I'm very curious to actually see Duke start a game.Go Nats!!!!!!

39. natsfan1a - May 21, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Eugene, I don't know, those cicadas can't seem to fly straight even without any drinks.sjm, there's plenty of traffic south of SFO, for the record. Have fun tomorrow – I know you'll represent us well!On a sort of baseball note, doesn't Bob Carpenter make his home in Oklahoma? Can't recall just where, though. Hope all is well with his friends and family.

40. sjm308 - May 21, 2013 at 12:34 AM

If Espinosa hit .240 there would be absolutely no discussion right now. Just can't see that happening this year. Not sure if he needs to be sent down or just put on the dl but something needs to happen. I have said often that 25 is not a horrible age to have to learn stuff in the minors. There are plenty of examples of players who come back and do well. It is not the end of the world if he handles himself well. I also do not think Lombardozzi is the answer but he is a better answer than Espinoza. I would not make wholesale changes yet but I could see Moore, Duke, Henry and Bernadina moving at one point or another. That is a lot of moves for a team still in the running so they all can't or should not happen but there is justification for each. I will continue to trust in Rizzo.Go Nats!

41. Gonat - May 21, 2013 at 12:38 AM

David, no kidding. I just saw Amanda's tweeter. Not a Happy Birthday for JDub.

42. sjm308 - May 21, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Natsfan1a – we all have either adjusted to our awful traffic or just dig a hole in the sand. Driving to Napa from San Francisco, we NEVER stopped once for gridlock. There were stop lights and traffic was heavy but it kept moving. Once out of the city, it was a breeze. I could easily move near Napa, drive into San Francisco for a dozen or so games (or take the ferry which has a bar!!) and be very very happy. I could be like Peric and Eugene and others out here and root for our nationals and post way late in the night.

43. Eric - May 21, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Where are you reading/hearing that about Werth, David? Bad news indeed…

44. David Proctor - May 21, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Kilgore and Comack both tweeted the news out.

45. Eric - May 21, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Oy… Harp, remember the wall-a-mo. Keep thyself in the line up!

46. Candide - May 21, 2013 at 12:51 AM

sjm308 said… still in Napa for one more day!… My spousal equivalent and I are wondering why we don't consider moving out here. Hardly any traffic, great restaurants, hiking, biking, weather and you don't want to know how many wineries we have visited.You might want to read this before packing up the U-Haul. Not the Napa Valley, but much of what's in there certainly applies. Warning: Not happy reading.

47. baseballswami - May 21, 2013 at 12:55 AM

I hate this news about Jayson– alarming??? Davey said alarming??? Is he just being dramatic? I hope they tell us something. Boo, boo, boo. I hate this news.

48. waddu eye no - May 21, 2013 at 1:05 AM

swami – "I have had music students who were talented but not open to instruction. "and how. hard to learn when you already know everything. it's a weird line to walk between the right amount of confidence and trust in yourself, and arrogance and denial of what you can really do. hope danny finds someone that can help him find that balance. for a lot of folks' sake.meanwhile – GYFNG!

49. Candide - May 21, 2013 at 1:10 AM

baseballswami said… We have heard time and again that he is hard headed- you cannot learn if you think you already know everything.Saw someone said the other day, in another context, "The smartest guy in the room never learns anything."And then there was Earl Weaver's, "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."

50. David Proctor - May 21, 2013 at 1:11 AM

51. baseballswami - May 21, 2013 at 1:12 AM

I always hear that baseball is a game of adjustments. Guess it's true.

52. Eric - May 21, 2013 at 1:20 AM

What did Adam say about Espi? We talking LaRoche?

53. Gonat - May 21, 2013 at 1:21 AM

David Proctor said… Larry Bowa just called out Espinosa on MLB Network. Said guys like him have to learn how to make adjustments or he won't last at the major league level. May 20, 2013 9:11 PM _________________________They figured him out a long time ago. This isn't about adjustments. This is just being totally in a deeeeep funk.

54. Gonat - May 21, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Eric, yes it was Adam LaRoche last week on a pre-game he did with Julie Alexandria.

55. Secret wasian man - May 21, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Braves gonna win. Could be 3 .5 games gotta win. Don't like the os or yanks. But they are playing one heck of a game tonight. Real baseball

56. Just wonderin' - May 21, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Lotta folks have talked about Espinosa's cannon of an arm. Is it good enough that he could reinvent himself as a pitcher?

57. baseballswami - May 21, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Eric-ALR was directly asked what advice he would give Danny. He said unfortunately Danny insists it's physical and can be fixed with more and more video and hitting in the cage- just will not understand that it is mental. I was surprised he answered the question. Paraphrasing, of course, but that was the gist. Can you imagine how frustrated the coaches must be? Again- not trying to trash the kid, I have worked with people who were fighting themselves, it's tough to watch. And I hope he has a breakthrough tonight that lasts and he starts to climb that hill. I really do.

58. baseballswami - May 21, 2013 at 1:33 AM

I personally am not going to worry about the post season or what the Barves are doing. Win a game , win a series, then we'll talk.

59. Secret wasian man - May 21, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Gonna need 8 runs tonight. Never gonna happen. One step closer to .500. Ughhhhhhh

60. natsfan1a - May 21, 2013 at 1:41 AM

That's me standing next to swami.baseballswami said… I personally am not going to worry about the post season or what the Barves are doing. Win a game, win a series, then we'll talk. May 20, 2013 9:33 PM

61. baseballswami - May 21, 2013 at 1:41 AM

One third of the lineup is bench players. Our starting pitcher has not started a game in like two years in the majors. Do the math. Bryce is still banged up. Need I go on?

62. baseballswami - May 21, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Good, clean, smart baseball, please. You do that and then you take what comes. Go Nats!!!!!

63. Eric - May 21, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Thanks all. So it sounds like it's not an injury or like Espi has taken everyone in with the long con…I'm betting it's mental, though. Maybe he needs to pinch hit for a few games in later innings and drink a couple beers while he waits for his at bat.I'm not even completely joking.

64. Drew - May 21, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Rendon has a double and another RBI. The kid has 19 extra base hits in 30 games.The Rick Hague renaissance continues. Rendon's old Rice teammate now has six straight multi-hit games.The Harrisburg second baseman has raised his average from .167 to .280.

65. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 21, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Final tonight Nats 5 Giants 3took my pregame maalox

66. do1teach1 - May 21, 2013 at 1:52 AM

It's one of those years when struggling teams, or struggling pitchers, always seem to rise to the occasion against us. If the pattern continues, I would expect a big comeback from Vogelsong.I was worried that if the Nats blew it this year, we'd be mocked with "Can the Nats repeat as world champs in 2014?" jabs in the off-season. But the Dodgers, Angels, and Blue Jays also had tremendous, Nat-like hype, and they're choking dogs too.All the horrible stats about our offense and defense have been captured here. No one can say we didn't practice hitting and defense. What shocks me–what really embarrassed me in the Padres series–and what is all around baseball, is that the Nationals really cannot be bothered with holding runners. This is a glaring failure to learn from the same catastrophic failure in 2012–including in Game 5.A glaring leadership failure.

67. peric - May 21, 2013 at 1:53 AM

One thing to keep in mind … Jhonotan Solano probably knows Duke the starter better than any catcher on the Nats 40-man roster. He caught him last season when he was a 15 game winner in AAA.That might be the reason you are seeing him instead of Suzuki. There's probably a comfort level there and given this is Duke's first major league start in a while he may need it.

68. Gonat - May 21, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Eric, LaRoche was saying exactly what a few of the insiders have said that its mental. Also talked about all the extra work Espi does. It's an A for effort but an F for execution. That 1 week he got some hits and back on track and was up to .200 and then thought he was a power hitter again. Once his bat goes long, its toast.There are some good lefty hitters he could watch that are quick to the ball in that see ball hit ball approach and just work on making solid contact.

69. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 21, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Correct on holding base runners is a real weakness

70. David Proctor - May 21, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Jim Johnson just blew his third straight save.

71. peric - May 21, 2013 at 1:57 AM

There are some good lefty hitters he could watch that are quick to the ball in that see ball hit ball approach and just work on making solid contact.They could have all done with studying Rendon's approach. It might be the best they have even if he is still a rookie-to-be. This is where the loss of DeRosa shows.

72. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 21, 2013 at 1:58 AM

The great Jim Johnson just blew his third save in a weak.I would really hate being an Angel, Blue Jays, or Dodger fan. We look great compared to them.

73. peric - May 21, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Looks like Sammy Solis is getting his first start for Potomac. Many will be watching that game.

74. Secret wasian man - May 21, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Proctormyou beat me to it. Something must be in the water around the beltway..

75. EmDash - May 21, 2013 at 2:01 AM

76. A DC Wonk - May 21, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Secret wasian man said… Gonna need 8 runs tonightWell, Vogelsong's ERA _is_ over 8! ;-)

77. Gonat - May 21, 2013 at 2:05 AM

EmDash, they have killed their bullpen with all the overuse. The Freddi way was get the starters a full 6 and turn it over to O'Flaherty to Venters to Kimbrall. O'Flaherty and Venters both have dead elbows.

78. A DC Wonk - May 21, 2013 at 2:12 AM

The Braves let their rookie starter throw 123 pitches tonight in an attempt to let him get a CGSO. That seems pretty risky on the poor kid's arm…Well, there's _one_ big difference between Davey and at least one other manager. That's pretty darn short-sighted if you ask me.Anyone remember Johan Santana's 134-pitch effort at getting the fist no-hitter in Met's history.He made 10 starts the rest of the season — during which time is ERA was 8.27; and his career might be over after re-tearing some shoulder stuff this April.Sheesh. Julio Teheran is only 22, and never threw more than 100 pitches in a game in his career (he threw exactly 100 last time out).

79. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 21, 2013 at 2:15 AM

I was at the game Santana pitched at Nats Park a few starts after the no hitter. Morse hit a grand slam against him.

80. David Proctor - May 21, 2013 at 2:18 AM

That was a great game. Harper had a nice HR that game too.

81. David Proctor - May 21, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Both of these pitchers suck. The difference is the Giants can hit. We can't. Hope that changes tonight.

82. do1teach1 - May 21, 2013 at 2:21 AM

I have the impression that, compared with NL RBI leaders, Harper comes up with the bases empty far more often than the leaders do.I have no idea how to check this. Does someone here know how to check this theory?

83. dabassguy1 - May 21, 2013 at 2:24 AM

Is anyone else's MASN out?

84. Gonat - May 21, 2013 at 2:25 AM

My MASN is working on the MASN2 channel.

85. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 21, 2013 at 2:26 AM

five consecutive games with no hits in first.Our record great when we score first.

86. jeffwx - May 21, 2013 at 2:26 AM

ok here..a pitchers dual

87. David Proctor - May 21, 2013 at 2:26 AM

Nice inning for Duke.

88. RickH - May 21, 2013 at 2:27 AM

Nice first inning for Duke. Good to get that behind him.

89. dabassguy1 - May 21, 2013 at 2:27 AM

I have Cox. It was on the MASN2, but just a black screen. All other channels seem to work. Now it says Temporarily Off Air. Got the audio from the AtBat app to get me thru.

90. NatsLady - May 21, 2013 at 2:29 AM

Have MASN fine with RCN.

91. David Proctor - May 21, 2013 at 2:30 AM

I've got MASN fine with Fios.

92. dabassguy1 - May 21, 2013 at 2:35 AM

Cable box re-boot and all is well. It was working on the analog TV's, so figured it had to be the box.

93. Eric - May 21, 2013 at 2:35 AM

Of *course* Vogelsong is shutting us down. Ugh.

94. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 21, 2013 at 2:36 AM

I have Masn2 (MASN has O's game) on comcast.Angel Pegan played that ball unusually.

95. David Proctor - May 21, 2013 at 2:39 AM

Uh oh.

96. David Proctor - May 21, 2013 at 2:41 AM

Yep.

97. Gonat - May 21, 2013 at 2:41 AM

That didn't take long.

98. BigCat - May 21, 2013 at 2:41 AM

Hunter Pence looks like he has had a lot of coffee tonight

99. Exposremains - May 21, 2013 at 2:42 AM

I guess it took the Giants 2 innings to figure out Duke.

100. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 21, 2013 at 2:42 AM

Go figure Duke pitched great to their best hitter Posey then gives up hit to Pence. Pitching from stretch he stinks.

101. David Proctor - May 21, 2013 at 2:43 AM

BigCat, Or meth…

102. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 21, 2013 at 2:43 AM

I havent see Eck in the dugout though I am sure he is there.Just hopeful.

103. Secret wasian man - May 21, 2013 at 2:46 AM

That's it. Nats lose again. What an awful baseball team. It's not early, it's not the injuries, it's not the weather. It's a LOFT problem. Lack of freakin talent.

104. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 21, 2013 at 2:46 AM

Big Cat always looks like that . Pense has tge crazy look.

105. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 21, 2013 at 2:48 AM

This team is not bad, just not hitting.

106. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 21, 2013 at 2:49 AM

All will be well once the new hitting coach is in place.

107. Gonat - May 21, 2013 at 2:52 AM

Can Duke play 2nd base? He hits better than Espi. Look at that 2 strike approach.

108. David Proctor - May 21, 2013 at 2:52 AM

At least Duke can hit.

109. Ivan Tuski - May 21, 2013 at 2:53 AM

Duuuuuuuuke (I am your father)

110. phil dunton - May 21, 2013 at 2:55 AM

Rizzo hides Eckstein to protect him from any criticism when the heats on. He's probably hiding out in a closet in the clubhouse.

111. David Proctor - May 21, 2013 at 2:55 AM

Lombardozzi kills the rally.

112. SCNatsFan - May 21, 2013 at 2:56 AM

This team just cannot get the big hit

113. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 21, 2013 at 2:58 AM

We need hitswith RISP very few lately.

114. Gonat - May 21, 2013 at 2:58 AM

Lombo tried to hit a 3 run HR. Just make good contact and get Bryce up.

115. David Proctor - May 21, 2013 at 3:01 AM

It's gonna be a long night, guys.

116. Gonat - May 21, 2013 at 3:04 AM

18 game hitting streak for Scutaro and now batting .333. Still laughing at the comparison made to Espi when Scutaro was batting .240 in April. Not even close.

117. David Proctor - May 21, 2013 at 3:06 AM

Good job to get out of the jam.

118. do1teach1 - May 21, 2013 at 3:07 AM

Harper coming up again with bases empty. I think this too-common occurence explains why he he so high on the homers list, but nowhere on the RBI-leaders list.

119. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 21, 2013 at 3:07 AM

Vogelsong has stunk all season.Are we the cure for all pitcher who are in trouble.

120. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 21, 2013 at 3:17 AM

still looking for some one to take over.

121. Gonat - May 21, 2013 at 3:18 AM

3rd time around the order MNF

122. SCNatsFan - May 21, 2013 at 3:18 AM

I agree manassas another guy who we turn his season around. I love this team but this gets old inning after inning, game after game.

123. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 21, 2013 at 3:22 AM

Would love to see it gonat.I hate losing more than they do.

124. Gonat - May 21, 2013 at 3:23 AM

Giants just putting balls in play and finding holes. Contact!

125. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 21, 2013 at 3:26 AM

If I was a Giant I would suicide squeeze.

126. Gonat - May 21, 2013 at 3:28 AM

What a crappy start that was. This is going to put a lot of strain on the bullpen. Can't afford that.You have to weigh putting Detwiler on the DL vs going to your long man in the bullpen and he has to go 5+ for you.Fail.

127. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 21, 2013 at 3:29 AM

Squeeze obvious call and we were not prepared.I realize i am common folk but I ser it coming how can they not.

128. Gonat - May 21, 2013 at 3:30 AM

I'm sure one of Zach Duke's supporters was hoping to give us "I told you so" if he did well. Chris Young and Yunesky Maya might have given more.

129. David Proctor - May 21, 2013 at 3:31 AM

Who said they were not prepared? It was just executed well. You can't move LaRoche TOO far in because there's a guy on first, not to mention the hole it opens if he swings.

130. do1teach1 - May 21, 2013 at 3:31 AM

The safety squeeze by the Giants illuminates the absolute lack of imagination by our own coaching staff, and their plain determination not to bunt more often to put pressure on defenders, make pitchers field their position, and give other defenders the chance to get beat or make errors.We wait for the hairy-chested guy to hit the 3-run homer, when we have no one one base.

131. Gonat - May 21, 2013 at 3:31 AM

Manassas, it was a safety squeeze and you have to hope he doesn't get a good bunt down. He did and you tip your hat and go on.

132. A DC Wonk - May 21, 2013 at 3:32 AM

Manassas Nats' Fan said… Squeeze obvious call and we were not prepared. I realize i am common folk but I ser it coming how can they not.Just because you see it coming doesn't mean you can always stop it. That bunt was extremely well placed.

133. Gonat - May 21, 2013 at 3:32 AM

The difference MNF is execution. They are executing and the Nats as a group are not.

134. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 21, 2013 at 3:33 AM

Stammen throws gas on the fire.

135. David Proctor - May 21, 2013 at 3:34 AM

Sigh. I mean I knew this was likely to happen today given the pitching, but it still sucks.

136. Gonat - May 21, 2013 at 3:34 AM

4 earned in 3 1/3 for Duke and now Stammen is falling apart. Wow, sometimes you can't do anything right.

137. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 21, 2013 at 3:35 AM

It is bad enough our hitters in general quit the last week and a half. Now in the last 2 dsys 6 pitchers 5 stunk.

138. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 21, 2013 at 3:36 AM

Thanks ALR for bailing out Stammen.

139. phil dunton - May 21, 2013 at 3:37 AM

For those who might be sleep deprived tomorrow, you can hit the hay because this game is over……unless you want to see Henry in his usual mop up role.

140. Gonat - May 21, 2013 at 3:37 AM

With Duke's 4 earned runs his ERA barely changed. 8.84

141. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 21, 2013 at 3:38 AM

Vogelsongs ERA was as bad as Duke, but ou hitters in general are not hittingvthe ball the way they need to, to win.Still no Eck sughting.

142. nats guy - May 21, 2013 at 3:38 AM

Get out the forks for anothet curly L.

143. nats guy - May 21, 2013 at 3:40 AM

Get out the forks for anothet curly L.

144. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 21, 2013 at 3:42 AM

Scotero 8 errors but batting over .333. still take him over Espi.If Duke was right handed no way he would be in the majors

145. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 21, 2013 at 3:44 AM

carp an idiot Solano's hit was not fairly wel to the gap.

146. Gonat - May 21, 2013 at 3:45 AM

Everth Cabrera just tried to steal against Yadier Molina. No way. Against the Nats he was on a track meet.

147. David Proctor - May 21, 2013 at 3:47 AM

What a great AB by Stammen. Pretty sad our pitchers have had the two best ABs today.

148. Gonat - May 21, 2013 at 3:47 AM

Our pitchers are 1-1 with a walk tonight. Better than the position players.

149. Gonat - May 21, 2013 at 3:49 AM

And what does Denard Span do after that walk? Swings at the first pitch and rolls it over. Real bright.

150. A DC Wonk - May 21, 2013 at 3:49 AM

Manassas Nats' Fan said… Vogelsongs ERA was as bad as Duke, but…But the difference is that Vogelsong is a former all-star, and the odds were he was going to get on track sooner or later — and the Giants _are_ a great hitting team.

151. Ivan Tuski - May 21, 2013 at 3:50 AM

152. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 21, 2013 at 3:50 AM

RISP update NATS 0 for 2. Giants 3 for 8 and 2 of the out scored runs. so 5 different batted ball scored runs.Could we teach some of this?

153. David Proctor - May 21, 2013 at 3:51 AM

BABIP is not our friend today.

154. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 21, 2013 at 3:52 AM

I whined much worse then for sure.I go into every game assuming we will win and fuss if yhey don't.

155. Ivan Tuski - May 21, 2013 at 3:53 AM

Two

156. David Proctor - May 21, 2013 at 3:54 AM

Stammen doesn't have his good stuff tonight.

157. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 21, 2013 at 3:54 AM

David not sure where you find BSPIP but suspect not our friend in most losses.Stammen wasn't ready for this game it appears

158. Gonat - May 21, 2013 at 3:55 AM

Ivan Tuski said… There are an awful lot of whiners here. I am starting to miss the old days when we really sucked. ________________________________I see plenty of compliments along with the whining and the critical remarks are on point. I guess we can say nothing like you?

159. Joe Seamhead - May 21, 2013 at 3:56 AM

The worm turned on the 2-1 defeat to the Cubs. How to turn a worm around the other way?

160. Alphabet Soup Erik - May 21, 2013 at 3:56 AM

This teams stinks. Not much else to say…thanks Rizzo.

161. NatsNutty - May 21, 2013 at 3:56 AM

You'll all be happy to know that I've stopped whining. As a matter of fact, I'm going to bed.

162. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 21, 2013 at 3:57 AM

stammens pitch to Pense was great next pitch was patgetic, but when hitters are on vacation pitchers have to be even better.

163. Gonat - May 21, 2013 at 3:57 AM

That's where Desmond is smart. He ate that ball. 2 years ago he turns that into an error. Progress.

164. Gonat - May 21, 2013 at 3:58 AM

Isn't that a fair ball? What the?

165. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 20, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Vogelsong broken bone I bet.I though Espi couldnt see pitches, vogelsong worse.

166. Gonat - May 21, 2013 at 4:00 AM

Bad call by the ump. Should be inning over.

167. Gonat - May 21, 2013 at 4:01 AM

Solano has done a great job blocking pitches.

168. Gonat - May 21, 2013 at 4:01 AM

What a play by Lombo.

169. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 21, 2013 at 4:03 AM

Lets get to this reliever. Hopefully some one is interested.

170. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 21, 2013 at 4:07 AM

Lombo does his Espi imitarion and swings at balls to k

171. do1teach1 - May 21, 2013 at 4:07 AM

Harper coming up again with bases empty. Season-long trend I believe.

172. peric - May 21, 2013 at 4:09 AM

ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz these guys have become somnambulant … Werth to the rescue? Not unless Rizzo demurs and Davey puts him back into that leadoff spot. On this one Rizzo was flat out wrong.

173. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 21, 2013 at 4:11 AM

My goodness the right haners looked pathetic.I could Harper having trouble but at least he hit tge balls tge ithers looked clueless.

174. peric - May 21, 2013 at 4:12 AM

Looks to me like these Nats weren't prepared for the Marine layer. It does seem to be affecting them.

175. Ivan Tuski - May 21, 2013 at 4:12 AM

There can't be plenty. There not enough material. And why can't i whine about the winning

176. peric - May 21, 2013 at 4:13 AM

Maybe Espy will hit a pinch hit home run? :)

177. peric - May 21, 2013 at 4:14 AM

sheesh its on the 6th?

178. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 21, 2013 at 4:15 AM

Nat hitters notice Giants box scores. That is what we expect from you.

179. peric - May 21, 2013 at 4:15 AM

Well at least the Nats are good for solving what ails you for any team? Now its the Giants. Reminds me of the good ol' Giggleman daze.

180. Gonat - May 21, 2013 at 4:16 AM

181. peric - May 21, 2013 at 4:16 AM

Stoopid panda hats.

182. Gonat - May 21, 2013 at 4:16 AM

Jordan Zimmermann is 4th in the MLB in ERA behind only Kershaw, Corbin and Harvey.

183. Gonat - May 21, 2013 at 4:20 AM

184. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 21, 2013 at 4:21 AM

Unfortunately Zim didnt pitch a shutout so we lost 2-1Key is never give up furst or last run.

185. Ivan Tuski - May 21, 2013 at 4:23 AM

Ong those people are sitting dangerously close to H rod

186. peric - May 21, 2013 at 4:24 AM

The only reason the Nats are where they are is because of the starting pitching. This is the Nats worst hitting team since 2008 when Paul LoDuca was brought in.And also why they aren't better than they are right now …Rizzo broke a lineup that didn't need fixing. He broke the cardinal rule of engineering with this lineup. To a lesser extent its the same with the bullpen but looking at some of the minor league relievers that's eminently fixable.

187. Gonat - May 21, 2013 at 4:25 AM

Ivan Tuski said… Ong those people are sitting dangerously close to H rod___________________________Why are you whining? ;_)

188. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 21, 2013 at 4:26 AM

I see no urgency from any of the hiteers.Carpand FP make more excuses.

189. BigCat - May 21, 2013 at 4:27 AM

As usual…..no hitting….pitiful. Why is Eck still employed?

190. do1teach1 - May 21, 2013 at 4:28 AM

It feels like we are 1,000 runs behind in this game, with two outs and Espi up and an 0-2 count, facing Sandy Koufax.

191. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 21, 2013 at 4:30 AM

If the ump called 2 strikes the third is in the same place. why would you expect anything else.Apparently Eck's coaching is working. Probaky will drop behind Mets for 14th.How bad does the batting have to get before any change happens. Or will it never happen? Seems bullheaded to me.

192. Alphabet Soup Erik - May 21, 2013 at 4:31 AM

This team is so bad that I would rather watch reruns of Rosanne on WE TV. Losing is one thing, but failing to even show up is another. This has happened far too many times this year and it all starts with Davey.

193. peric - May 21, 2013 at 4:31 AM

ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz somnambulant … wild pitch over the backstop!!!!!! Toga Toga Toga Toga …

194. peric - May 21, 2013 at 4:32 AM

HROD with a base on balls.

195. Gonat - May 21, 2013 at 4:32 AM

Nice Henry. 4 pitch walk.

196. Gonat - May 21, 2013 at 4:37 AM

Great play by LaRoche! Saves Henry a run.

197. peric - May 21, 2013 at 4:38 AM

Davey has a serious problem right now … his world series or bust slogan is coming loose in the wind and could end up in the mud …Its not working right now and sure the pitching, sans injury, is good enough to get them over .500 … but how much over?

198. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 21, 2013 at 4:39 AM

Ball 3 to crawfod were 3 k to desmond

199. Gonat - May 21, 2013 at 4:39 AM

Nice. Another walk to load the bases.

200. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 21, 2013 at 4:42 AM

AsI predicted Vogelsong broke hand.