May 20, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
Jayson Werth and Bryce Harper haven't both been in the lineup since May 2.
There are no shortage of reasons behind the Nationals' offensive struggles right now, but one reason stands above the rest: Injuries to Bryce Harper and Jayson Werth.
Sure, Danny Espinosa's .488 OPS, a complete lack of production off the bench and way too many strikeouts aren't helping the cause. But those are secondary factors to the most significant one plaguing the Nationals. Simply put, they need to get their best players healthy and back in the lineup.
Only once in their last 18 games have the Nationals had both Werth and Harper together on the lineup card. During that span, the club is batting a collective .216 with a .279 on-base percentage while averaging only 3.3 runs per game.
Coincidence? Not at all. This is what happens when you don't haveRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Nats to interview former manager of year for open job
- Report: Former Nats player to interview for open manager job
- Mets, Cubs aim to clinch NLCS berths as playoffs continue
- Report: Nats interviewed former All-Star for manager position
- Nationals roster review: Michael Taylor
- Trio of Nats coaches will remain in organization
- MLB Playoffs continue with 4 Division Series games
- Roster review: Bryce Harper
- Important offseason dates to consider for the Nationals
- Ripken on Nats manager job: 'I'd answer the phone'