Game 46: Nats at Giants

May 21, 2013, 10:46 PM EDT

Associated Press
Stephen Strasburg faces Matt Cain tonight at AT&T Park.

The Nationals are in a tenuous position right now, no doubt about it. They've lost seven of their last 10, have a bunch of guys banged up with injuries and had to call in a pair of arms from Class AAA Syracuse for bullpen support. But they've also got Stephen Strasburg taking the mound tonight, and one dominant start from the would-be ace of this staff could certainly go a long way toward righting the club's ship overall.

Strasburg is coming off a very impressive outing in San Diego, one in which he was allowed to go eight innings for the first time in his professional career. I wouldn't be surprised if Davey Johnson shows the same confidence in his young right-hander tonight, understanding the significance of this game.

Obviously, the Nationals will need to provide some run support for Strasburg, and they face a mighty tough challenge in that respect, with Matt Cain on the hill for the Giants. Cain hasn't been himself so far this season, but it's hard to believe he won't figure things out before long, perhaps as soon as tonight.

As you know, I'm not on the road trip. But CSNwashington.com's Steve Roney actually happens to be in San Francisco at the moment and he was kind enough to offer to help out at AT&T Park tonight. So be sure to check back later for coverage from him. Enjoy the game…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS
Where: AT&T Park
Gametime: 10:15 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 183
Weather: Clear, 55 degrees, Wind 18 mph out to RF

CF Denard Span
RF Bryce Harper
1B Adam LaRoche

1. baseballswami - May 21, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Matt Cain is basically Jordan Zimmermann in a Giant's uniform. Another long night? A pitcher's duel? Or a slug fest? I hope the bottom had been hit and it's all up from here!

2. NatsLady - May 21, 2013 at 10:51 PM

3. David Proctor - May 21, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Chase Utley hurt.Maybe we can avoid him this weekend.

4. David Proctor - May 21, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Davey must've been reading. Harper is batting 2nd today.Tonight's lineup at SFG: Span CF, Harper RF, Zimmerman 3B, LaRoche 1B, Desmond SS, Espinosa 2B, Bernadina LF, Suzuki C, Strasburg P

5. Doc - May 21, 2013 at 11:08 PM

The Braves are sort of handing it to the Nats on silver plate, and our guys are missing the hand-off and spilling it all over the floor!If the Bravos can win without their fabled bull pen, we really are in trouble.

6. A DC Wonk - May 21, 2013 at 11:11 PM

David Proctor said… Davey must've been reading. Harper is batting 2nd today. Tonight's lineup at SFG: Span CF, Harper RF, Zimmerman 3B, LaRoche 1B, Desmond SS, Espinosa 2B, Bernadina LF, Suzuki C, Strasburg Pbowdenball from last thread:In Werth's absence, why not just move everyone up a spot- Harper to 2, Zim to 3, LaRoche to 4, Desmond to 5?

7. Eric - May 21, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Guess Harper won't be beating Kaline's record for consecutive games in the 3-hole as a 20 year old…

8. SonnyG10 - May 21, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Harper used yesterday to get accustomed to swing the bat again. Today he's going to rake.Pitch shutout baseball, Stras.GYFNG!!!

9. natsfan1a - May 21, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Okay, guys. How's about you try to pull out a curly w for our own sjm, who I believe will be in the ballpark tonight? kthxbai.Go, SS! Go, NATS!!Wonk, or maybe Bowdenball is Davey. Nah. :-)

10. Section 222 - May 21, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Davey must've been reading. Harper is batting 2nd today.Well that's a surprise. Of course, Espi is batting 6th, so he's not blindly taking our advice apparently. The best thing about tonight other than Stras pitching to get us back on track? It's the last 10 pm start of the regular season!

11. jeffwx - May 21, 2013 at 11:29 PM

and Tyler Moore last seen kayaking west from McCovey's Cove

12. natsfan1a - May 21, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Thanks, 222. That makes me very happy. (Yawn.)The best thing about tonight other than Stras pitching to get us back on track? It's the last 10 pm start of the regular season!

13. A DC Wonk - May 21, 2013 at 11:34 PM

It's the last 10 pm start of the regular season!Yay!!!!

14. baseballswami - May 21, 2013 at 11:36 PM

When is tomorrow's game?

15. Candide - May 21, 2013 at 11:36 PM

I hate going to bed before the first pitch.

16. David Proctor - May 21, 2013 at 11:36 PM

3:30 pm, Swami.

17. Eric - May 21, 2013 at 11:36 PM

"last 10 pm start of the regular season!"Faaaaaaaaaaaaaantastic!

18. natsfan1a - May 21, 2013 at 11:41 PM

On another note, I may have found the Kilgore piece in question for the NIDO Glossary item entitled, "Why can't Espi just bat right handed?"If so, what do I win? I'm so excited! (Well, not that excited. You can just buy me a virtual drink, I guess. Whoever you are. :-))

19. baseballswami - May 21, 2013 at 11:42 PM

That is great news! My mornings do not get off to a good start when I open my eyes and reach for my phone with a feeling of dread. This morning it was tough to take without caffeine- but there was no way to put if off, just rip off the bandage. Makes me cranky. If the game is over at night I can recover before I sleep. Pathetic. My co- workers have been avoiding eye contact . They just know.

20. Steady Eddie - May 21, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Jeffwx — do you mean he's carrying the kayak into PacBell Park? Because thst's what's west from McCovey Cove. (East would take him across to the Oakland Coliseum or whatever it's called.)

21. natsfan1a - May 21, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Swami, at least you didn't need to respond to a (perfectly nice) email from your Giants fan friend after you read the unhappy game results email, as I did. ;-)And Tyler would never get past ballpark security with a kayak.

22. SonnyG10 - May 21, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Section 222 said… It's the last 10 pm start of the regular season!May 21, 2013 7:27 PMYeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. David Proctor - May 21, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Haren got T-shirts of McCatty's Playgirl shot made today. "UNTUCK" on back. "Utter joy," Clippard said. "This is the best day of my life."

24. natsfan1a - May 21, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Now, *that's* funny. :-)

25. Eric - May 21, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Man…David, please tell me you're serious…that would be amazing!

26. David Proctor - May 21, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Absolutely true. I asked on twitter for a picture of said shirt.

27. David Proctor - May 21, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Amanda responded: "MASN is filming a segment for tomorrow's pregame show w Gio wearing it."

28. Eric - May 22, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Amazing. That is HILARIOUS!

29. Eric - May 22, 2013 at 12:04 AM

I find it hard to believe it's a coincidence that picture both showed up here AND Haren made it into a shirt today.

30. NatsLady - May 22, 2013 at 12:06 AM

That is AWESOME–who needs Silver Elvis wigs when ya got Dan Haren making tee shirts!!!!!!

31. NatsLady - May 22, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Eric, that picture is all over the internet. I saw it several place besides here. It's on NBC Hardball Talk, for example.

32. baseballswami - May 22, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Who knows? This might be just the thing to loosen everyone up. Wish this was a home game so we could get a look!

33. David Proctor - May 22, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Bruce Bochy asked Davey Johnson to join his All Star Game staff. Sounds like Davey is gonna do it. Bochy also had some input on the Nats poor start:"“That goes with winning, particularly when you have a really good, nice season like you did last year, and same with us,” the manager said. “When you don’t win a few games, questions are being asked, eyebrows raised, [people] going what’s going on. We just came off a horrible road trip, 1-5, our pitching got hammered pretty good and that’s our strength. There’s some panic going on, but you do have to remind yourself, there’s a lot of baseball left. I remember last year, going into your place and Pittsburgh, going 1-5, it didn’t go well. But it’s all about being resilient. That’s what good clubs are.”

34. Sec. 3, My Natural Sofa - May 22, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Actually, IIRC, the park is north of McCovey Cove. West would be inland toward South of Market ("South of The Slot" for us old SF hands); he could paddle southwest into Mission Bay. And wasn't the record for number of games in the 3-hole, not necessarily consecutive?

35. Eric - May 22, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Number 2 advice takenMcCatty playgirl shot usedMorse good humor replacement establishedSomeone's liiiiiiiiiiiistening…;)

36. Eric - May 22, 2013 at 12:13 AM

"And wasn't the record for number of games in the 3-hole, not necessarily consecutive?"I got to wondering that after posting, but children and dinner interfered with research…will check into it closer to game time is no one else has.

37. baseballswami - May 22, 2013 at 12:17 AM

I heard an interview earlier in the season with Haren and he was very funny. Some of these guys just do better when they are more themselves. Clip and Store used to do hilarious videos from their apartment. Too bland and serious now. Makes them wound too tight.

38. Eric - May 22, 2013 at 12:28 AM

OK, here's the article about Kaline's record.It's a little vague, saying he batted third the whole season, but never says anything about consecutive games/starts. It does say no one else under 21 has batted 3rd more than 100 times in a season.Who knows. It comes second to the team winning, but it would be cool for him to be able to put that feather in his cap if this doesn't rule it out.

39. David Proctor - May 22, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Davey said he ran into Ryan Mattheus at the hotel today before Mattheus left for DC to see specialist. "I had a few choice words for him."Davey is clearly pissed at Mattheus. You could see it in his press conference yesterday. He pretty much called Mattheus out and he never does that.

40. Drew - May 22, 2013 at 12:33 AM

41. Eric - May 22, 2013 at 12:35 AM

It's funny…when I was in 9th grade I broke my hand the weekend before baseball tryouts. I was pissed at my sister and cousin, kind of punched at the air as I wheeled to go in my room, only to discover my door was closed more than I thought.Never pitched or otherwise played organized ball again. Far less tragic in the scheme of things, but it's strangely familiar reading about Mattheus. Hope his outcome is far different than mine!

42. paul brandt - May 22, 2013 at 12:40 AM

damn, was nervous there for a minute…am sure glad espi is in the 6th hole this evening…say it with me: reverse psychology, reverse psychology…now he will get at least 2 hits…we will win this one thanks to danny…ok now do something else superstitious until game time…geeeezzzz…what i am resorting now nowadays…who else has a ritual?

43. David Proctor - May 22, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Looks like Zimmerman was right:Ryan Zimmerman's error from 9th inning Friday has been overturned. Chris Denorfia was given a hit, both runs in inning charged to Soriano.

44. peric - May 22, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Put Werth back in lead-off with Harper batting 2nd and they might fix what they broke.

45. David Proctor - May 22, 2013 at 12:44 AM

46. Drew - May 22, 2013 at 12:46 AM

In his return from TJ surgery, Sammy Solis gave up three hits and a walk in a 2 inning stint for Potomac, but allowed no earned runs.Welcome back, Sammy.

47. Eric - May 22, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Yeah I really like the opening day lineup. I think it needs a few weeks of consistent play before we write it off.

48. peric - May 22, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Harrisburg is only in the 6th inning, but Rick Hague already has two hits.That means he has seven straight multi-hit games. He has 15 hits in his last 25 at bats.Dude's on fire.A third round pick I believe. They've got a few possibilities for second base and UTL other than what you see on the 25-man. Third base is a different story and Zim needs to move soon. There's Matt Skole but he won't be back until next season and I'm not sure you want him at third base.

49. Sec. 3, My Natural Sofa - May 22, 2013 at 12:50 AM

From MLBTR"Non-existent" was the word one Amer­i­can League exec­u­tive used to describe the relief pitch­ing mar­ket, writes WEEI's Rob Brad­ford.  Here in May, the mar­ket looks short on sell­ers with qual­i­ty relief pieces.

50. MicheleS - May 22, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Eric.. that McCatty Picture has now burned my Retina's. WaPo has a link to other pics and let's just say, EWWW..(well besides George Brett)

51. MicheleS - May 22, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Drew, good news on the Baby Nats!!!Oh and GYFNG! I want a win tonight!

52. Secret wasian man - May 22, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Nats gotta win the next two or I win my Bens Xhili bowl bet. Of course I sure hope I lose . Go Nats let's try to get a run or two tonight.

53. baseballswami - May 22, 2013 at 1:23 AM

You just never know what will happen in a baseball game. I think we have very quickly forgotten that good things can happen, things are streaky. This evening has seemed very long. No live baseball except the evil empire and O's on two channels- blech. Regular show finales are done. My routines are important to me, you know. I am out of my fan rhythm. Come home, Nats!!

54. David Proctor - May 22, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Davey Johnson is going to be on Bruce Bochy's staff for the All-Star Game. Accepted his invite. Looking forward to it, he said.

55. Drew - May 22, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Rendon has 28 walks in 31 games.Can't wait until he's hitting second in the Nats' order.

56. MicheleS - May 22, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Drew.. If Danny doesn't start hitting…. Rendon will be up soon

57. baseballswami - May 22, 2013 at 1:38 AM

I am starting to see the handwriting on the wall. And it says- Rendon.

58. jeffwx - May 22, 2013 at 1:44 AM

just finished watching little ceasar…I don't know the geography of SF…I never left my heart or any other organ there.Just wondering where's Tyler and thought maybe he was tooling around the cove waitin to get a hold of one

59. baseballswami - May 22, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Just heard Desi say this is not a game for the mentally weak. Was he talking about us?

60. Drew - May 22, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Rendon turns 23 on June 6.At this rate he might be on the move (somewhere) by his birthday.

61. jeffwx - May 22, 2013 at 1:48 AM

If Werth hits leadoff and Harper 2nd, where the hell does Span hit? He's a prototypical top of the order guy. May 21, 2013 8:44 PMNever question the logic of the great and all powerful wizard of nats town…He sees the future

62. jeffwx - May 22, 2013 at 1:49 AM

and his name is Danny Rosebaum

63. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 22, 2013 at 1:50 AM

Tonight a big win. Harper batting secpnd just like 2012

64. baseballswami - May 22, 2013 at 1:53 AM

I am ecstatic just to see Harper IN the lineup- anywhere at all, instead of puking in a trash can, running into a wall or riding the pine. Bubble wrap the guy!!

65. Sec. 3, My Natural Sofa - May 22, 2013 at 1:58 AM

I left my sinuses in Arizona,I sent my liver to Pe-ruu,Left my intestines and kidneys with my uncle in Sidney,But I'm sendin' my heart to youuuuuuu…

66. Section 222 - May 22, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Just wondering where's Tyler and thought maybe he was tooling around the cove waitin to get a hold of oneIt would be the closest he's come to a home run ball in quite some time unfortunately.

67. jeffwx - May 22, 2013 at 2:07 AM

good stuff, sofa dude!

68. jeffwx - May 22, 2013 at 2:08 AM

yeah, sect 222, guess that's another reason Davey suspended the great infielders in the outfield experiment

69. BigCat - May 22, 2013 at 2:10 AM

Ok Stra, your team needs you to step up. Go to frickin work.

70. Sec. 3, My Natural Sofa - May 22, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Thank George Carlin, jeffwx.Hey, she's interviewing Nicky on MASN pregame. Looks good.

71. Sec. 3, My Natural Sofa - May 22, 2013 at 2:13 AM

And speaking of thanks, HEY STEVE! Thanks in advance for the in-game updates.

72. David Proctor - May 22, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Gah, don't like Bryce bunting. But it gets a RISP early.

73. David Proctor - May 22, 2013 at 2:20 AM

The sac bunt works!

74. Section 222 - May 22, 2013 at 2:22 AM

Love ya Bryce, but that made no sense at all.Way to go Zim!

75. David Proctor - May 22, 2013 at 2:24 AM

Way to go Desi!

76. David Proctor - May 22, 2013 at 2:24 AM

Has Espi changed his batting stance?

77. jeffwx - May 22, 2013 at 2:26 AM

nope

78. jeffwx - May 22, 2013 at 2:27 AM

but he should if he wants to bat cleanup

79. SCNatsFan - May 22, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Good first inning. Tell me again how espi's lack of offense doesn't hurt us? At least we got some solid wood on Cain.

80. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 22, 2013 at 2:28 AM

stras you need a lock own inning.espi 3 swings witout a chance to hit on as far from the ball his bat was.Imagine he could go 1 for 6 and raise his average.

81. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 22, 2013 at 2:30 AM

I thought number 2 batters job is to advance lead off runner.Has the function changed?

82. Section 222 - May 22, 2013 at 2:31 AM

Ok, so let me get this straight FP. The Nats have been horrendous at the plate, one of the worst hitting teams in MLB. So Davey's thinking is that he'll go with his best defensive team, including the embarrassingly bad Espi who can barely get the bat on the ball in order to hopefully squeeze out a few one run victories until the bats wake up. Ok, gotcha. Who could argue with that strategy?

83. Ivan Tuski - May 22, 2013 at 2:32 AM

two

84. Scott Margenau - May 22, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Espi is awful. Percentage of balls swung at OUTSIDE the zone:2011 37%2012 40% 2013 42%

85. David Proctor - May 22, 2013 at 2:34 AM

Sandoval can flat out hit.

86. Ivan Tuski - May 22, 2013 at 2:35 AM

geeze how can that guy even run

87. Section 222 - May 22, 2013 at 2:35 AM

MNF, he's got the third highest SLG in the NL. We just got the leadoff man on in the first inning. And you want to give up an out? He's in a hitter's count. If he gets on base, Zim's double drives in two. The neighborhood play is a bunch of BS. I can't wait for a camera/sensor system to take over from lazy umpires and get rid of that garbage.

88. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 22, 2013 at 2:35 AM

The old neighborhood play. Our pfielders just out of position last night. Tonight one for 2 in being in position.

89. David Proctor - May 22, 2013 at 2:37 AM

Espinosa's foot touched the bag as he was throwing to first. At the very end.

90. Eugene in Oregon - May 22, 2013 at 2:38 AM

Lots of pitches.

91. David Proctor - May 22, 2013 at 2:39 AM

Well we're gonna see Strasburg deal with some adversity early today.

92. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 22, 2013 at 2:40 AM

Looked like it touch after ball was released when i ran it back ib slowmotion.Ge dropped tipped 3rd strike followed by tons of pitches most balls.

93. Sec. 3, My Natural Sofa - May 22, 2013 at 2:40 AM

Strasburg is all over the mound. He looks like Stu Miller at Candlestick.

94. RickH - May 22, 2013 at 2:41 AM

Whew!

95. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 22, 2013 at 2:41 AM

Now stras is ready.

96. David Proctor - May 22, 2013 at 2:41 AM

Good job Stephen.

97. jeffwx - May 22, 2013 at 2:41 AM

O….KKKKKKK

98. Ivan Tuski - May 22, 2013 at 2:42 AM

had it all the way

99. Eric - May 22, 2013 at 2:43 AM

Pheeeeeeeew30 pitches… Ouch.

100. Scott Margenau - May 22, 2013 at 2:45 AM

How is he that fat and that good?

101. David Proctor - May 22, 2013 at 2:47 AM

Who knows but he' a World Series MVP for a reason. He can hit.

102. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 22, 2013 at 2:52 AM

My goodness another single just in the whole.

103. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 22, 2013 at 2:53 AM

Hole

104. David Proctor - May 22, 2013 at 2:53 AM

Giants BABIP must be extremely high. That explains all the high batting averages. These aren't hard hit balls.

105. NatsLady - May 22, 2013 at 2:56 AM

Team BABIPs. Giants are 4th in MLB, 1st in NL. .311http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2013&month=0&season1=2013&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=12,d

106. SCNatsFan - May 22, 2013 at 2:56 AM

Giants having no trouble seeing SS tonight

107. David Proctor - May 22, 2013 at 2:58 AM

Suzuki threw someone out?!

108. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 22, 2013 at 2:59 AM

throwing some one out? You kidding?

109. SCNatsFan - May 22, 2013 at 2:59 AM

Not sure he was out but I'll take it

110. Nats Fan in Brazil - May 22, 2013 at 3:00 AM

I love span in CF, but if bryce is out there the runner is out

111. David Proctor - May 22, 2013 at 3:01 AM

Maybe. Bryce's arm strength was never an issue, but he could throw wildly from time to time.

112. Ivan Tuski - May 22, 2013 at 3:01 AM

that was definitely an out and great play by Suzuki and Espi

113. Steady Eddie - May 22, 2013 at 3:04 AM

There's a reason Bryce wasn't swinging away in his first AB — still seems to be physically constrained from letting loose, which he hasn't done since before the Wall in LA. All he's done when he makes contact is hit weak grounders to second and short. And didn't run hard on his last groundout. Still hurting.

114. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 22, 2013 at 3:05 AM

Harper starting to shoe eck fect.Swinging at a first pitch slider heading for his feet.Let sliders go.

115. David Proctor - May 22, 2013 at 3:07 AM

That's ridiculous MNF. He's hurt. He's not suddenly a different hitter than he was two weeks ago.

116. SCNatsFan - May 22, 2013 at 3:07 AM

C'mon Stras throw strikes make them earn it

117. Eric - May 22, 2013 at 3:08 AM

Oy… Stras…

118. David Proctor - May 22, 2013 at 3:10 AM

Good job Stras.

119. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 22, 2013 at 3:10 AM

Injuries wouldnt make you suddenly swing at sliders would it? Seems if your hurt only swing at fastballs to do otherwise is rediculous.What is really rediculous is I was being sacastic, you though I meant it.

120. Eric - May 22, 2013 at 3:11 AM

"All he's done when he makes contact is hit weak grounders to second and short. And didn't run hard on his last groundout. Still hurting."And hit a 431 foot bomb… 😉

121. Eric - May 22, 2013 at 3:12 AM

"What is really rediculous is I was being sacastic, you though I meant it."Hard to imagine why…

122. NatsLady - May 22, 2013 at 3:13 AM

Pretty systematic article about Espinosa. Lays out the situation and the options.Danny Espinosahttp://thenationalsreview.com/2013/05/21/whats-going-on-with-espinosa/

123. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 22, 2013 at 3:15 AM

Bunt espi

124. Eric - May 22, 2013 at 3:16 AM

Nice Espi!

125. RickH - May 22, 2013 at 3:17 AM

Nice bunt by Danny. Might've been safe.

126. Drew - May 22, 2013 at 3:17 AM

Good job.

127. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 22, 2013 at 3:17 AM

I kind of remember Harper hitting one 432 feer while he was hurt. If he cant hit normal then rest.

128. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 22, 2013 at 3:18 AM

Roger needs to knock run in. No k

129. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 22, 2013 at 3:19 AM

Getting hit with 3 balls not fun.

130. Eric - May 22, 2013 at 3:19 AM

OK…ATTACK NATS

131. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 22, 2013 at 3:21 AM

Hittable pitch swing and missThen crappy swing

132. David Proctor - May 22, 2013 at 3:22 AM

He didn't go. Wow.

133. SCNatsFan - May 22, 2013 at 3:22 AM

Another pitiful at bat

134. Ivan Tuski - May 22, 2013 at 3:23 AM

ugh! tough call for stephen

135. SCNatsFan - May 22, 2013 at 3:23 AM

I give up. No sense being beat at work to watch this.

136. David Proctor - May 22, 2013 at 3:24 AM

Gattis just hit a home run in the 9th to tie the game. Wow.

137. Eric - May 22, 2013 at 3:25 AM

Ugh… Gattis homer to tie, bottom of the 9th two out.

138. Section 222 - May 22, 2013 at 3:26 AM

2nd and 3rd, one out, and we can't hit the ball past the pitcher. Sad. If only the No. 6 hitter was good for something other than a sacrifice bunt.

139. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 22, 2013 at 3:26 AM

Espi finally has a good at bats and his teammates can't do their tasks.Going into the game .227 average. That is not very good is it?

140. NatsLady - May 22, 2013 at 3:27 AM

Fortunately BJ Upton struck out. Dodgers two blown saves, and now the Twins blown save.

141. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 22, 2013 at 3:29 AM

Brave hitters hit late in the hell of a lot better than we doat any time during the game.I wish Eck would figure what is wrong with each batter and then fix it. IT IS his job.

142. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 22, 2013 at 3:32 AM

.227 just seems impossible for a team to hit that low.Suzuki throws more like himself tgere.Wish Stras would quit fallibg behind. Costing him way too many pitches.

143. Ivan Tuski - May 22, 2013 at 3:32 AM

ok lets follow this up with some offense.

144. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 22, 2013 at 3:33 AM

Lets tack on some runs.Harper swing like the homer in San Diego.

145. peric - May 22, 2013 at 3:34 AM

Pretty systematic article about Espinosa. Lays out the situation and the options.Pretty much how I see it Natslady although there are guys like Zach Walters who might be tried before Rendon. And there is Ricky Hague, as Drew keeps mentioning, finally past his injuries and hitting next to ex-Rice teammate Anthony Rendon. Lefty Wil Rhymes from William and Mary is also a possibility. All of which would likely come before they bring Rendon up to play the position. The best part of the article was the concern that Rendon's past injuries might lead to future injuries playing second base. That's the big no-no right now for anything other than small sample size exposure to second base for Rendon.

146. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 22, 2013 at 3:36 AM

We swing at a lot of ball. All three swing were probably balls to Span. Last 2 deffinately.

147. David Proctor - May 22, 2013 at 3:36 AM

Cain just threw Span to filthy changeups.

148. David Proctor - May 22, 2013 at 3:36 AM

two*

149. peric - May 22, 2013 at 3:37 AM

I'll tell you Brian Goodwin is missing out on the golden opportunity. If he were hitting like Rendon right now Davey would definitely want to try him.

150. David Proctor - May 22, 2013 at 3:37 AM

MNF, it's not that simple. Those balls were strikes for a long time and then the bottom dropped out. You make hitting sound ridiculously easy. Cain is a great pitcher.

151. peric - May 22, 2013 at 3:37 AM

In fact Corey Brown ought to be paying close attention.

152. David Proctor - May 22, 2013 at 3:38 AM

Is Corey Brown off the DL now?

153. David Proctor - May 22, 2013 at 3:40 AM

I'm glad Harper didn't slide there.

154. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 22, 2013 at 3:43 AM

In reading Ted Williams book he says the key to hitting identifying pitches.If you can hitting is not hard. Hitting with authirity might be Sliders if look like strikes early are never strikes. The key you need to identify it.

155. Eric - May 22, 2013 at 3:45 AM

"If you can hitting is not hard."Minor issue… Who can't ID pitches?

156. David Proctor - May 22, 2013 at 3:45 AM

Great inning Strasburg.

157. Ivan Tuski - May 22, 2013 at 3:46 AM

nice inning Stras. Looks like he is comfortable for the first time tonight

158. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 22, 2013 at 3:46 AM

Pegan pulled off long before the ball was there. The pitch might be good but mis identifying it makes pitcher look super.

159. David Proctor - May 22, 2013 at 3:47 AM

Adam Kilgore ‏@AdamKilgoreWP 20sThat last routine play from Desmond reminded me: He hasn't made an error in a month after seven in 18 games.

160. David Proctor - May 22, 2013 at 3:51 AM

Braves just walked off. Ugh.

161. Eric - May 22, 2013 at 3:51 AM

Braves win

162. David Proctor - May 22, 2013 at 3:52 AM

That was well inside.

163. Section 222 - May 22, 2013 at 3:52 AM

All of which would likely come before they bring Rendon up to play the position. You really think that Zach Walters, Ricky Hague, and Will Rhymes will get a shot at playing 2B, in the majors, for the Washington Nationals, before Rendon will? Really? Sometimes you are almost a parody of yourself.

164. NatsLady - May 22, 2013 at 3:53 AM

165. David Proctor - May 22, 2013 at 3:54 AM

This is gonna be a big inning for Strasburg. 3,4,5 coming up.

166. Eric - May 22, 2013 at 3:55 AM

Hold steady Stras.

167. peric - May 22, 2013 at 3:57 AM

Is Corey Brown off the DL now?Brown is off the DL but Erick Komatsu is on the DL again.Be interesting to see who they remove for Perez …

168. peric - May 22, 2013 at 3:59 AM

You really think that Zach Walters, Ricky Hague, and Will Rhymes will get a shot at playing 2B, in the majors, for the Washington Nationals, before Rendon will? Really? Sometimes you are almost a parody of yourself.YES I DO. And you aren't listening to what Davey et al are saying if you believe otherwise. Rendon IS GOING to play third base. And I'll be laughing as you upchuck your succotash when he does. Its going to happen. Mark it on your calendar 222.

169. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 22, 2013 at 4:00 AM

The Giants misidentify the change up a lot.

170. Doc - May 22, 2013 at 4:01 AM

Danny has applied for a copyright on "below the Espinosa Line" soon to be used in MLB.The ChiSox Dunn may have better chance with his own version, now that he's hitting .100!

171. Eric - May 22, 2013 at 4:01 AM

YESWell done Stras!

172. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 22, 2013 at 4:03 AM

I believe it when i see things. remember loved lannen next thing you know he is Syracuse So who knows what will happen. rendon wasnt coming up, next thing you know he is up.

173. peric - May 22, 2013 at 4:04 AM

Oh I don't know. The Shark is around .120 or so right now. Dunn is about Done. Unfortunately, I fear Adam might not be far behind. They may need more Riggleman smartball to get through this season.

174. David Proctor - May 22, 2013 at 4:04 AM

Bernadina is in a pretty bad place right now too.

175. peric - May 22, 2013 at 4:05 AM

next thing you know he is up.And exclusively at third base …

176. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 22, 2013 at 4:06 AM

Shark 121

177. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 22, 2013 at 4:07 AM

Suzuki swings at one way further then one he took. Couldn't possibly hit it, it was that far out.

178. Section 222 - May 22, 2013 at 4:08 AM

peric, believe me, if those three guys all start a regular season game at 2B for the Nats ever, I will upchuck my succotash, or something that I actually eat. I'm not sure that Rendon will play 2B, though I think it would be a very good idea to try him there. I won't be surprised if they decide to keep him at 3B and move Zim to 1B — in 2015. But I am very sure that those three guys are not all going to get a shot at 2B, any more than Matt Antonelli did.

179. Drew - May 22, 2013 at 4:11 AM

Corey Brown hit a two-run jack tonight.

180. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 22, 2013 at 4:12 AM

Need to get through this inning. Fine recovery tonight.

181. Section 222 - May 22, 2013 at 4:13 AM

And by the way, I do listen to Davey et al, and I don't think he's ever said a word about Ricky Hague or Will Rhymes being a future Nats 2B. You're living in a dream world if you think those guys will get a chance this year to fill the black hole now occupied by Espi. I know you're convinced that Rendon is going to play 3B and 3B only. You may be right about that. The problem is that that position is occupied by someone who can hit. 2B is not. So unless they want to keep Rendon in the minors for another year after this one, which would be foolish, they've got to find another position for him.

182. Eric - May 22, 2013 at 4:14 AM

Wow. Stras!

183. Eric - May 22, 2013 at 12:17 AM

OK…HOLD FOR STRAS!

184. Drew - May 22, 2013 at 4:19 AM

Way to go, Denard!Score here. I can't watch Clip in a 2-1 game.

185. Joe Seamhead - May 22, 2013 at 4:19 AM

Come on, Nats! Let's get some insurance runs! Nice hit, Denard!

186. Section 222 - May 22, 2013 at 4:20 AM

Nice standup slide by Span. Can he give Zim lessons on how to do that?

187. peric - May 22, 2013 at 4:21 AM

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

188. Scott Margenau - May 22, 2013 at 4:21 AM

Rendon should be third, but that won't happen this year. No idea where to put him. Can Dez play 2nd?

189. Section 222 - May 22, 2013 at 4:22 AM

I hope we never see that again FP. For goodness sakes. And now our hottest hitter gets an IBB. Ridiculous. The only argument for doing that is that he can't hit Lopez. But ALR has trouble with him too.

190. Eric - May 22, 2013 at 4:22 AM

LaRoche sac bunt…

191. peric - May 22, 2013 at 4:22 AM

And Zim is struggling to play third. His bat will move to first base. Its almost a bygone conclusion given his arm issues …And please, LaRoche is still batting around .220 something? And still leads the team in K's (not Espinosa). And is going to be 34 next season.

192. Section 222 - May 22, 2013 at 4:25 AM

Just for the record peric, your fabulous threesome of 2B prospects is Walters, Hague, and Rhymes. We've got that on videotape. I don't dispute that Kobernus might get a callup, though I don't expect to see him before September.

193. peric - May 22, 2013 at 4:26 AM

LaRoche strikeout …

194. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 22, 2013 at 4:26 AM

Our Risp the past month is simply no good.

195. Section 222 - May 22, 2013 at 4:26 AM

Great, just great. Give away an out so that ALR can bat against the unhittable lefty. Thanks Davey.At least he didn't ground into a DP.

196. Eric - May 22, 2013 at 4:26 AM

"The strike zone has been floating all night."Couldn't agree more.

197. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 22, 2013 at 4:27 AM

ALR nearing 50 K.

198. Eric - May 22, 2013 at 4:27 AM

OK Desi…

199. peric - May 22, 2013 at 4:28 AM

Just for the record peric, your fabulous threesome of 2B prospects is Walters, Hague, and Rhymes. We've got that on videotape.You're so friggin' full of yourself dude. Hey Mark and Chase why don't you shut this guy down the way you did this weekend huh?Dude I am repeating what the depth chart says. Rendon isn't on it at second he's behind multiple others. That is the way it is. You'll just have accept it and stop acting like a damned petulant child.

200. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 22, 2013 at 4:28 AM

didnt Span get a double against the unhittable lefty?

201. peric - May 22, 2013 at 4:29 AM

LaRoche might be Dunn in K's this season.

202. Scott Margenau - May 22, 2013 at 4:29 AM

I don't like Bryce bunting. I'd rather he hit.

203. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 22, 2013 at 4:30 AM

Why swing at one a foot outside.Desi you needed to move a lttle quick on that powe hit.

204. Eric - May 22, 2013 at 4:30 AM

SO CLOSE.So late. So tired. So nervous.Clip… Do this thing.

205. David Proctor - May 22, 2013 at 4:30 AM

Span's double was a bloop.

206. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 22, 2013 at 4:31 AM

If ALR had hit bloop it would be a hit too. Other teams hit bloops too.

207. peric - May 22, 2013 at 4:32 AM

Better hope Soriano is on. He hasn't been that reliable.

208. David Proctor - May 22, 2013 at 4:33 AM

Soriano hasn't been that reliable?

209. Joe Seamhead - May 22, 2013 at 4:33 AM

How many times does Span do his job, gets on, gets stranded?

210. Sec. 3, My Natural Sofa - May 22, 2013 at 4:33 AM

I think Bryce would rather hit, too, but it seems pretty obvious he can't.And I guess I misunderstood about the in-game updates. Maybe Steve'll post a gamer.

211. Section 222 - May 22, 2013 at 4:33 AM

MNF, yes he did. Span hits lefties as well as he does righties. ALR doesn't. Harper doesn't either, but that's no excuse for him giving up an out again. He's our best hitter for crying out loud. If he K's then at least Zim likely gets to hit. In the first inning, he did it on his own and was actually trying to bunt for a hit I assume. But this was a straight up sacrifice and a bad call by Davey. We needed an insurance run that inning and didn't get it.

212. Scott Margenau - May 22, 2013 at 4:35 AM

Shut him down? For what ? Peric don't get so wound up. Sheesh.

213. do1teach1 - May 22, 2013 at 4:35 AM

I wonder who on this board thinks we are going to win this game.

214. Eric - May 22, 2013 at 4:37 AM

Bryce pretty significantly increased our Os of pushing a run across…C'est la baseball.Hold steady Clip!

215. Eric - May 22, 2013 at 4:37 AM

Os = odds…heh

216. do1teach1 - May 22, 2013 at 4:39 AM

What is Strasburg thinking now?

217. Eric - May 22, 2013 at 4:39 AM

Uuuuugh

218. Sec. 3, My Natural Sofa - May 22, 2013 at 4:41 AM

do1, that's one reason why I watch–to see who wins.YMMV, but I do NOT understand this risk-averse fan fashion. I don't see the point.

219. David Proctor - May 22, 2013 at 4:41 AM

WHEW.

220. sjm308 - May 22, 2013 at 4:41 AM

Hi everyone!Call me a fair weather fan but my spousal equivalent made it through 6 innings. Not just cold, the wind was brutal. I had 3 layers & my heavy nats jacket plus gloves and was still uncomfortable. Back at the hotel and we are still up. Will post thoughts on park and team tomorrow. Watching SS warmup was a treat. Bullpen is right by the stands. Hate the iPad for posting. Go Nats!

221. Eric - May 22, 2013 at 4:41 AM

Well done fellas!!!3 outs away..

222. Drew - May 22, 2013 at 4:42 AM

Nice comeback, Tyler.

223. Scott Margenau - May 22, 2013 at 4:42 AM

Ike's. Let's go boys!!!

224. Section 222 - May 22, 2013 at 4:42 AM

Nicely done Clip.

225. Sec. 3, My Natural Sofa - May 22, 2013 at 4:44 AM

sjm, I am jealous. Homesick and jealous.

226. David Proctor - May 22, 2013 at 4:44 AM

Another 0fer for Espinosa.

227. Amr Khani - May 22, 2013 at 4:45 AM

Well at least Espinosa put a ball in play.

228. Joe Seamhead - May 22, 2013 at 4:46 AM

Nice job, Tyler Clippard! Also, I'm very happy that we don't have an infielder playing in the outfield, K's and all.

229. do1teach1 - May 22, 2013 at 4:47 AM

It will be a miracle if we win this baseball game.

230. Sec. 3, My Natural Sofa - May 22, 2013 at 4:48 AM

Tucking it up here, boss …

231. Eric - May 22, 2013 at 4:49 AM

OK Soriano… earn your keep!

232. Scott Margenau - May 22, 2013 at 4:51 AM

Tucked n ready

233. Section 222 - May 22, 2013 at 4:52 AM

Bryce pretty significantly increased our Os of pushing a run across…If by Os, you mean chances, that's debatable. Historically, the chances of scoring a single run increases by a small amount when you have a man on 3rd and one out vs. a man on 2nd and none out. But that doesn't take into account the key fact here that the batter was Bryce Freaking Harper. And the number of runs that you can expect to score in the inning actually decreases by employing that strategy. Again, that ignores the likelihood that Harper and Zim would be batting. One insurance run would have been nice, two would have been better.

234. Eric - May 22, 2013 at 4:52 AM

Uh oh…

235. Ivan Tuski - May 22, 2013 at 4:52 AM

Merde'

236. Section 222 - May 22, 2013 at 4:54 AM

Despite my general discontent tonight, I am tucked and ready.

237. Eric - May 22, 2013 at 4:55 AM

Pence is one jacked up dude.

238. Joe Seamhead - May 22, 2013 at 4:55 AM

That's a ridiculous lead we're giving the runner.

239. Eric - May 22, 2013 at 4:57 AM

This is very stressful. If we make the post season again I don't know how I'll deal.

240. Scott Margenau - May 22, 2013 at 4:57 AM

Holy moly batman!!!!

241. Eric - May 22, 2013 at 4:59 AM

Sheesh man… way too close.

242. Ivan Tuski - May 22, 2013 at 4:59 AM

whoa that was scary

243. Eric - May 22, 2013 at 5:00 AM

Wow…Zuk! Nice save!!!

244. Ivan Tuski - May 22, 2013 at 5:00 AM

omg Zuk

245. David Proctor - May 22, 2013 at 5:01 AM

Harper should've made that play, but I don't blame him for not wanting to go near the wall.

246. Scott Margenau - May 22, 2013 at 5:01 AM

Wtf

247. do1teach1 - May 22, 2013 at 5:01 AM

What is Strasburg thinking now?

248. Section 222 - May 22, 2013 at 5:01 AM

unbelievable. it really looked like Harper thought he might be at the fence.

249. Gonat - May 22, 2013 at 5:01 AM

Not again.

250. Eugene in Oregon - May 22, 2013 at 5:02 AM

Bleep.

251. Alphabet Soup Erik - May 22, 2013 at 5:02 AM

Is anybody surprised? I am not.

252. Joe Seamhead - May 22, 2013 at 5:02 AM

That sucked, Bryce.

253. Sec. 3, My Natural Sofa - May 22, 2013 at 5:03 AM

You must embrace the pain. It is the only way.

254. do1teach1 - May 22, 2013 at 5:03 AM

I wonder how many people on this board think we will win this game.

255. Scott Margenau - May 22, 2013 at 5:03 AM

Sorianos pitches really looked meaty

256. Ivan Tuski - May 22, 2013 at 5:03 AM

another game where we score in the first and then nothing. we cannot win a lot of games like that.Come on NAts

257. Drew - May 22, 2013 at 5:04 AM

Harper gets gun-shy at the wall.Poor Strasburg, victimized once again by poor run support, bad defense and bullpen failure.Strasburg has a sterling 2.70 ERA to no avail.

258. Ivan Tuski - May 22, 2013 at 5:05 AM

now e know why Drew nibbles. We need someone in between nibble and meat

259. Joe Seamhead - May 22, 2013 at 5:05 AM

For everyone that thought Werth should move to LF and Harper in RF, do you understand now?

260. Sec. 3, My Natural Sofa - May 22, 2013 at 5:05 AM

Staying tucked for another night, looks like. Let's go Drew.

261. Section 222 - May 22, 2013 at 5:05 AM

Fitting that for the last west coast game of the season we get extras. And just what we don't need — a test of the bullpen. No Stammen to pitch till he drops either, if this one goes really long. Are we really going to need Yunesky Maya? Oy

262. Eric - May 22, 2013 at 5:06 AM

Well, now we know Harper learned a lesson about walls.I'll have to learn about the outcome tomorrow. Go Nats!

263. Gonat - May 22, 2013 at 5:06 AM

Nats had men on 3rd with less than 2 outs twice and couldn't score. Once again the missed opportunities come back to bite you.Lets hope the Nats can grab the win in extras!

264. do1teach1 - May 22, 2013 at 5:07 AM

If we win this game, the season is salvaged; if we lose this game, the season is lost. Period.

265. David Proctor - May 22, 2013 at 5:08 AM

Oh my…it's Yunesky Maya warming.

266. Joe Seamhead - May 22, 2013 at 5:08 AM

Harper will go back to puking if he watches the replay of that play.

267. NatsLady - May 22, 2013 at 5:08 AM

Seamhead, I understood long ago. This RF is treacherous, and Werth has been here many a-time. Bryce will get there, just not right now.

268. Sec. 3, My Natural Sofa - May 22, 2013 at 5:09 AM

Oh, and sjm, while they don't give them out anymore, you blew your chance to earn the right to wear a Croix de Candlestick. Extra inning night games in San Fran-cisco. Gotta love it.

269. David Proctor - May 22, 2013 at 5:09 AM

You're full of crap do1teach1. Stop placing too much significance on one game. It'd be nice to win, it makes no difference in the full scope of our season. None.

270. Alphabet Soup Erik - May 22, 2013 at 5:09 AM

Anybody still think Harper can even hold Trout's jock strap?

271. mick - May 22, 2013 at 5:09 AM

I am already sick of Soriano, what a loser… culture of losing setting in. I feel for Stras.

272. do1teach1 - May 22, 2013 at 5:10 AM

Maya is a joke. Unless we score 2 or 3 now, this game is over.And we heard so much hype about how deep we were.

273. David Proctor - May 22, 2013 at 5:10 AM

Okay, the trolls are out in full force because we're not winning. I'm logging off.

274. Sec. 3, My Natural Sofa - May 22, 2013 at 5:11 AM

David Proctor, I'm pretty sure do1 is mocking himself and others. Although it's easy to see how a reasonable person might mistake that.

275. mick - May 22, 2013 at 5:11 AM

I will not blame Harper for that, Soriano blew this hands down like he did in San Diego…most over paid and over rathed closer in MLB

276. Scott Margenau - May 22, 2013 at 5:12 AM

Bryce needs a haircut. Looks ridiculous.

277. Sec. 3, My Natural Sofa - May 22, 2013 at 5:13 AM

Aw, c'mon Mick, what game are you watching?? Harper got totally turned around and then stopped at the track like he had an electric dog collar at the boundary. AB-solutely have to catch that catchable game-ending ball.

278. mick - May 22, 2013 at 5:13 AM

279. do1teach1 - May 22, 2013 at 5:13 AM

If we don't win this game, the Soviet Union will re-constitute (er, re-commstitute itself) and enshackle America forever.

280. Eric - May 22, 2013 at 5:14 AM

lol, some of y'all are completely unhinged about this game. Comedy gold.K, g'night.

281. mick - May 22, 2013 at 5:15 AM

veteran closer, up 0-2 throws a stupid wild ball then throws a ball right over the plate at 1-2….sorry gang a playoff team does not have a closer like that

282. Joe Seamhead - May 22, 2013 at 5:15 AM

mick, Soriano did his job. Harper blew a deep, but routine fly ball. Cost us the game.Any other take on it is just not objective, in my opinion.

283. Drew - May 22, 2013 at 5:16 AM

Time to change the channel.Yunesky is harder to watch than McCatty in swim trunks.Adios. Maya con dios.

284. Sec. 3, My Natural Sofa - May 22, 2013 at 5:16 AM

Funny how they only come out in the dark, eh David? Nah, it's not funny, it's just boring.

285. Scott Margenau - May 22, 2013 at 5:16 AM

Sec. 3, My Natural Sofa said…Aw, c'mon Mick, what game are you watching?? Harper got totally turned around and then stopped at the track like he had an electric dog collar at the boundary.Lol. Well said.

286. Ivan Tuski - May 22, 2013 at 5:16 AM

whoa, everyone raggin on bryce, what the heck? Fairweather extreme. even if we lose tonight there is no shame in losing in extra innings on the road (9th game in a row) to the World champions. Last night shame on us tonight we are battling. i can respect that.

287. do1teach1 - May 22, 2013 at 5:17 AM

CBS San Francisco reporting that, when Giants players saw Maya entering game, began pouring champagne on each other in dugout.

288. Gonat - May 22, 2013 at 5:18 AM

What a catch by Span!

289. mick - May 22, 2013 at 5:19 AM

I guess I'm in the twilight zone if I am the only one who will not blame Harpe…on Soriano did not do his job on 0-2 or 1-2

290. Ivan Tuski - May 22, 2013 at 5:19 AM

Joe Seam I gotta agree with Mick this time. two strikes the batter should never see anything close to that sweet

291. Gonat - May 22, 2013 at 5:19 AM

Ivan Tuski said… whoa, everyone raggin on bryce, what the heck? __________________________________You exaggerate a lot. Everyone? Don't you mean a couple of trolls?

292. Section 222 - May 22, 2013 at 5:19 AM

Give it a rest mick. Soriano has blown three saves all year, and we won two of those games. Lots of things to complain about on this team, but he's not one of them. Oh, and Bryce should have caught that ball.

293. mick - May 22, 2013 at 5:19 AM

294. Gonat - May 22, 2013 at 5:21 AM

Welcome Yunesky Maya. I don't believe it.

295. mick - May 22, 2013 at 5:21 AM

296. Scott Margenau - May 22, 2013 at 5:21 AM

Welcome to the bigs rook

297. Section 222 - May 22, 2013 at 5:21 AM

good night everyone.

298. Sec. 3, My Natural Sofa - May 22, 2013 at 5:21 AM

Oh well. Go get 'em tomorrow.

299. Depot Master - May 22, 2013 at 5:22 AM

Guys, I'm not going to opine, but I'm going to ask. Whose stubbornness is costing us these games, and how?

300. Ivan Tuski - May 22, 2013 at 5:22 AM

Whya?

301. do1teach1 - May 22, 2013 at 5:22 AM

CBS News San Francisco FLASH: Giants had completely drunk all champagne by the time the walk-off occured, were in showers when game ended.

302. Eugene in Oregon - May 22, 2013 at 5:23 AM

Bleep, again.

303. do1teach1 - May 22, 2013 at 5:23 AM

Phil Wood assures viewers: it's still early.

304. Alphabet Soup Erik - May 22, 2013 at 5:23 AM

Hey Rizzo…bahahahahahaha…this game sums up yor loser GM ability in a nutshell. This season is over!!!

305. phil dunton - May 22, 2013 at 5:23 AM

Maya strikes again. Rizzo has lost it–he had to be nuts to bring him up.

306. mick - May 22, 2013 at 5:25 AM

500 baseball and dropping… The Nats will be 8 under by months end. I am not being nasty, I am being realistic. I am afraid "First to Worst" will be what is remembered from the 2013 season. Rizzo has a lot of work to do, if this team was truly built to be good for a long team they would not be 500 right now, seriously

307. Amr Khani - May 22, 2013 at 5:27 AM

Way to give up those outs for nothing. 3 sac bunts that didn't produce anything (2 runs would have scored either way in the first, potentially more if Bryce didn't give himself up). Bad decision making.

308. mick - May 22, 2013 at 5:27 AM

do1teach1 said…Phil Wood assures viewers: it's still early.there are posters in here that will say its still early after the Nats lose their 81st game in August… but remember, you area troll if you dare post anything negative

309. do1teach1 - May 22, 2013 at 5:27 AM

Washington-area fans plan "Key to the City" rally for Mike Rizzo, for blowing up a 95-win, playoff team.

310. peric - May 22, 2013 at 5:29 AM

Maya strikes again. Rizzo has lost it–he had to be nuts to bring him up.He's on the 40-man. He makes more than many of the starters. He appears to have improved in his time in AAA. And he did. NO WALKS this time. But … he wasn't fooling any of the Giants major league hitters with his improved stuff or his 90-91 mph fast ball. Back down he goes until his contract runs out at the end of this season.

311. Joe Seamhead - May 22, 2013 at 5:30 AM

I love Bryce Harper. He misplayed that ball because he understandably had the yips about the wall. He'll learn, but the fact is, he's still got a lot to learn. Maya? Wow, we're down to that? Not good.

312. mick - May 22, 2013 at 5:31 AM

Thank you FP… just said it WAS NOT GOOD PITCH BY SORIANO… I guess FP is troll too, right?

313. Ivan Tuski - May 22, 2013 at 5:32 AM

I am not a Soriano fan so far. One of the problems with blowouts is our bullpen never gets into a rhythm and it shows…..Two games we should have won if we could hit even marginally.

314. Ivan Tuski - May 22, 2013 at 5:34 AM

I say let's trade for Moorse at the trade deadline:-)

315. do1teach1 - May 22, 2013 at 5:34 AM

MLB News reporting Rizzo calling aged Senators star Jim Hannan out of retirement, to provide long-relief and closer work for Nationals."This call-up is just one example of our incredible depth," said Executive-of-the-Millenium Rizzo, adding, "Plus we still have an option on Whitey Ford."

316. NatsLady - May 22, 2013 at 5:34 AM

Seamhead, I'm pretty mad at Mattheus right now. Even though Soriano blew the save (and Harper didn't catch the ball), Bochy had used all his position players and his best relievers. We needed to keep this a tie game. You needed Mattheus where Maya was. Grrrrrrrrr.

317. jay12 - May 22, 2013 at 5:36 AM

This baseball team is horrible. there is nothing else you can say about it other than that. It is already 2 months into the season and we haven't found our groove. It is definitely not early anymore. Espinosa needs to go suck somewhere else and our bullpen needs to get their stuff together. I also want Michael Morse back.

318. NatsLady - May 22, 2013 at 5:37 AM

Soriano is in a rough patch, like our hitters. Those things happen, and he will straighten himself.

319. Joe Seamhead - May 22, 2013 at 5:37 AM

mick,I agree it wasn't a great pitch. And I never have called you a troll, or any other name. We disagree about a baseball play.

320. Ivan Tuski - May 22, 2013 at 5:39 AM

good night all. Way to hang in there. These are trying times

321. nats guy - May 22, 2013 at 5:40 AM

And another curly L for the Washinton Nationals. Blow it up.

322. do1teach1 - May 22, 2013 at 5:40 AM

Reporter, thinking about Morse, asks what name Davey would most like to see on a Nats jersey again.Davey replies: "Riggleman."

323. mick - May 22, 2013 at 5:41 AM

do1teach1 lol on Hannan you know, Mattheus breaking his hand reminds me of another DC team back in 1997, they were picked to win the East of their division, and supposedly had enough young talent to be good for a long time. They bombed, missed the playoffs, and their knucklehead QB put his head into the wall after celebrating and missed the rest of a game that ended up costing them the playoffs. I am talking about the Redskins and Gus Ferrotte. The Nats remind me of that team "From First to Worst"

324. Joe Seamhead - May 22, 2013 at 5:42 AM

NatsLady, Mattheus may never get out of the doghouse for that knuckleheaded shenanigan.

325. mick - May 22, 2013 at 5:42 AM

Joe, i know, I was not implying you at all my friend, i was directing that towards some one else

326. mick - May 22, 2013 at 5:43 AM

I am just very upset right now

327. peric - May 22, 2013 at 5:50 AM

You needed Mattheus where Maya was. Grrrrrrrrr.And I think Maya may be getting paid more than Mattheus, as well as other starters. He's on the 40-man in the last year of his rather long major league contract. He's been a main-stay for Syracuse if not the best starter.How else do you find out about an asset unless you try the player in these sorts of games? Maya is at the end of his contract. It won't cost the Nats as much as it would have in years past to just DFA him off of the roster allowing another team the chance to pick him up. Thus freeing up a 40-man spot for another possible starter. Erik Davis is on the 40-man. They could still call him up but they decided on Abad making the assumption that Detwiler would be back soon. Maya is probably the only starter currently on the 40-man that has worked both as a starter and in relief from the beginning of his professional career. And his stats show improvement over the past 2 or so seasons. Again, you aren't going to like it but the way I see it they decided now was the time to see if Maya could help them or not. And if not DFA him.

328. do1teach1 - May 22, 2013 at 5:50 AM

Lerner Family Announces Forfeit for Wednesday Game in San Francisco"It's just too painful to watch," said Mark Lerner, speaking in hushed tones after Tuesday night's loss in San Francisco. "It keeps happening. We decided, instead of bearing the inevitable pain of no offense, lots of errors, and choking at the end, to just forfeit, lose 9-0, and catch the early flight home."Asked if this had any precedent in baseball history, Lerner deflected the question, saying, "We might forfeit Friday's home game against the Phillies also, to preserve the chance for a split."A team spokesman said the Nats would not hold pre-game batting practice the rest of the season, as there simply isn't any point. "The team is considering hitting off of a tee before games," he said.

329. peric - May 22, 2013 at 5:54 AM

Oh gawd not Jim Hannan. Anybody but him. DoTeach1 would like him as he was 1/2 of the educated battery. Jim Hannan and Jim French both had master's degrees which was a huge deal back then. Throw in brainiac Davey and you'd have a manager plus battery.

330. NatsLady - May 22, 2013 at 6:12 AM

You know, it could be the Maya experience made Rizzo reluctant to bid high on Chapman. OK, peric, so (like Brad Lidge) now you know. I understand Maya is not a reliever. Neither is Jordan ZimmermanN. You come up, your career is on the line, You throw one f'ing inning! Maya's got the same ERA as that poor Burch Smith did in his debut. 54.00. Except it's not his debut.

331. Cwj - May 22, 2013 at 6:33 AM

Not good.

332. Nats106 - May 22, 2013 at 6:34 AM

Strasburg stepped up and pitched great. Take that 1st inning and it's 31 pitches and he would have gone deeper. Clippard pitched an effective 8th. You pay the kind of money the Nats did to a front line closer to bring home critical games.What a shame. This team needed a win. Maybe even more than the folks on this board.

333. Secret wasian man - May 22, 2013 at 8:48 AM

This is a clown team bro.

334. baseballswami - May 22, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Ouch. Another morning of painful wake up news. We seem to be finding every possible way to lose right now. Some pretty dramatic, unpleasant posts from the middle of the night- uglier than a few of those late game pitches. But once again, you rarely win with two runs no matter who is pitching. Good to know that Maya's pitch wasn't really a bad one ( *^^%%#}) . Also good to know that Sori doesn't think it's on him(^%%#}}{). Meanwhile Bryce wears it– and I would rather lose this one than lose him for another couple of weeks. So he is understandably caught between wanting to play hard and being afraid to die. Then there is Mattheus, a pretty chill kid. So who is coaching these young guys that is asleep at the wheel? Oh, I know! They are all coddling Danny Espinosa and inventing more excuses for him! It's never on him, the golden boy. Sounds like someone older and wiser needs to step in and help these young guys cope. There is obvious panic and loss of composure. You can be mad at them all you want, but they are young and lost right now.