May 21, 2013, 10:46 PM EST
Stephen Strasburg faces Matt Cain tonight at AT&T Park.
The Nationals are in a tenuous position right now, no doubt about it. They've lost seven of their last 10, have a bunch of guys banged up with injuries and had to call in a pair of arms from Class AAA Syracuse for bullpen support. But they've also got Stephen Strasburg taking the mound tonight, and one dominant start from the would-be ace of this staff could certainly go a long way toward righting the club's ship overall.
Strasburg is coming off a very impressive outing in San Diego, one in which he was allowed to go eight innings for the first time in his professional career. I wouldn't be surprised if Davey Johnson shows the same confidence in his young right-hander tonight, understanding the significance of this game.
Obviously, the Nationals will need to provide some run support for Strasburg, and they face a mighty tough challenge in that respect, with Matt Cain on the hill for the Giants. Cain hasn't been himself so far this season, but it's hard to believe he won't figure things out before long, perhaps as soon as tonight.
As you know, I'm not on the road trip. But CSNwashington.com's Steve Roney actually happens to be in San Francisco at the moment and he was kind enough to offer to help out at AT&T Park tonight. So be sure to check back later for coverage from him. Enjoy the game…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS
Where: AT&T Park
Gametime: 10:15 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 183
Weather: Clear, 55 degrees, Wind 18 mph out to RF
CF Denard Span
RF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- PHOTO: Max Scherzer takes out full-page ad to thank Tigers fans
- Braves claim former Nats prospect off waivers from Yankees
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Anthony Rendon
- Former Nats pitcher Ross Ohlendorf follows Detwiler to Rangers
- PHOTOS: Bryce Harper attends Clippers game, meets Blake Griffin
- Big decisions to make for Nats after Scherzer signing
- Scherzer talked to Fister, Thornton before joining Nationals
- Ichiro Suzuki, former Nats OF Jonny Gomes land in NL East
- Boras' 'internal rating' system says Nats have MLB's best rotation