May 22, 2013, 11:23 PM EDT
Bryce Harper is congratulated by Ryan Zimmerman after homering in the sixth.
Game in a nutshell: On the final day of the season's longest road trip, the Nationals desperately needed a big-time pitching performance from Gio Gonzalez and some rare offensive support. They got the former — Gonzalez carried a shutout in the eighth — but they didn't get the latter. Bryce Harper's solo homer in the sixth represented their only run in regulation. Even so, the Nationals had a chance to eke out a 1-0 victory, if only their bullpen could hold the lead. It couldn't. Drew Storen entered with one on and one out in the eighth and immediately walked Marco Scutaro before surrendering the game-tying single to Buster Posey. Never fear, though, because Tyler Clippard pitched a scoreless ninth to send the game to extra innings, at which point Harper doubled and later scored on Ian Desmond's clutch single to right field, giving the Nationals the lead again. Rafael Soriano then made up for his blown save last night with a clean bottom of the 10th, and the Nats headed back East with a 24-23 record and relieved to have at least ended this eventful trip on a positive note.
Hitting highlight: Just because you're hitting second doesn't mean you have to hit like a traditional No. 2 hitter. Harper didn't quiteRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?