May 22, 2013, 10:00 AM EST
Davey Johnson's club lost its fourth straight and is now .500 for the season.
By Steve Roney
SAN FRANCISCO — Stephen Strasburg and Matt Cain each put up seven strikeouts over seven innings, but Pablo Sandoval smacked a walk-off, two-run home run against over-matched reliever Yunesky Maya to give the Giants a 4-2, 10-inning win last night over a shell-shocked Nationals club.
The anticipated duel between aces seemed at first to be a letdown, as the Nationals jumped all over Cain in the top of the first to score two quick runs.
Denard Span singled just past the diving glove of Brandon Crawford to lead off the game, and came around to score standing up on Ryan Zimmerman's one-out double. Zimmerman himself scored one out later, as shortstop Ian Desmond laced a line drive towards the right field foul line.
The Giants cut the deficit to one run the next inning with a classic piece of National League run manufacturing, as No. 7 hitter Gregor Blanco singled on a ground ball, moved to second on Cain's one-out sacrifice, and scored from there on Angel Pagan's single up theRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Significant moment No. 3: Nats clinch NL East in Atlanta
- Report: Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014
- Significant moment No. 4: Ryan Zimmerman tears his hamstring
- Significant moment No. 5: The kids step up
- Nationals sign Uggla to minor-league deal
- Significant moment No. 6: Nats win 10 in a row
- Jimmy Rollins: Phillies have missed Werth since he signed with Nats
- Significant moment No. 7: Williams benches Harper
- Significant moment No. 8: Span breaks hit record
- Nats sign veteran infielder Stewart to minor deal