May 23, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
|Photo by USA Today|
By Steve Roney
The Cardinals are holding strong as the top dog in the league, and the Braves are trending back upwards as the Marlins and Astros duke it out to see if there will be a challenger to the '62 Mets. Here's how Nationals Insider Mark Zuckerman, Nats writer Chase Hughes, and I see the rest of the league shaking out:
1. St. Louis Cardinals (29-16; LW: 1) – Zuckerman: Every member of the rotation boasts an ERA under 3.60. That's how you win night in and night out.
2. Texas Rangers (29-17; LW: 2) – Roney: Baseball America No. 1 prospect Jurickson Profar has finally made the show — it'll be interesting to see if he's up for good.
3. Cincinnati Reds (28-18; LW: 4) – Zuckerman: Shin-Soo Choo might prove to be the most important acquisition of 2013 across the big leagues.
4. Atlanta Braves (27-18; LW: 10) – Hughes: Atlanta is getting hot while the Nats are having trouble. Evan Gattis is back to hitting homers and Kris Medlen is looking like the ace he was last season.
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Marlins' McGehee wins NL Comeback Player of the Year
- Previewing and predicting the 2014 World Series
- Nationals roster report: Ian Desmond
- Phillies coach admits Howard may be better off in AL
- Nationals roster report: Asdrubal Cabrera
- Important dates to keep in mind for Nats' offseason
- Nationals roster report: Anthony Rendon
- PHOTO: Nats will wear jersey patch to recognize 10th anniversary
- Michael Morse is headed to the World Series with Giants
- Ishikawa 3-run homer sends Giants to World Series