Game 49: Phillies at Nats

May 25, 2013, 7:40 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Dan Haren faces Jonathan Pettibone tonight at Nationals Park.

After a solid, 5-2 victory last night to open their homestand, the Nationals are sticking with their same lineup for the middle game of this weekend series against the Phillies. Might as well stick with what worked, including Kurt Suzuki in the 6-spot, with Tyler Moore and Steve Lombardozzi behind him.

That lineup tonight will go up against right-hander Jonathan Pettibone, seeking to become the Phillies' first rookie to go 4-0 to begin his career since Kyle Kendrick (last night's starter) in 2007. Dan Haren gets the nod for the Nationals, hoping his ragged outing in San Diego was a mere blip on an otherwise upward trend for the veteran.

Jeff Kobernus, meanwhile, officially had his contract purchased from Class AAA Syracuse and is available off the bench. Yunesky Maya has officially been designated for assignment, possibly ending his four-year tenure in the Nationals organization.

Remember: Tonight's game is on Fox. It'll be Tom McCarthy and Bill Ripken with the call. So that's a Phillies play-by-ply guy and a former Oriole. Enjoy…

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:15 p.m. EDT
TV: Fox regional (coverage map)
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 89
Weather: Clear, 65 degrees, Wind 18 mph LF to RF

CF Denard Span
RF Bryce Harper
1B Adam LaRoche

Read more ยป

1. baseballswami - May 25, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I hate Fox games!!!!! Seriously, though, how many times have we had the sane lineup two days in a row. Hope it wasn't a fluke.

2. Eugene in Oregon - May 25, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Given Fox options, Phillies play-by-play guy better or worse than Bill O'Reilly?

3. sm13 - May 25, 2013 at 7:57 PM

4. sm13 - May 25, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Best way to avoid the Fox broadcast? Go to the game! That's what I'm doing. Go Nats!And, glad to see Davey sticking with T-Mo. Roger seems completely lost at the plate.One more thing, bye bye Maya – a failed experiment.

5. baseballswami - May 25, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Ouch. Those are my choices? By the way– last night Davey was talking about some contract type stuff and some one named Menitti? Any idea who that is in the organization? What happens now ? Someone else can pick up Maya and if not he can go to our minors?

6. nats guy - May 25, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Charlie and Dave are your best option. Baseball is always better in person or on the radio.

7. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 25, 2013 at 8:02 PM

nats guy said… By the way Lombardozzi reminds me very much of Jamie Carrol. He was a major loss. You have to have players like him. They are worth everything. May 25, 2013 3:41 PM Exactly, I said that at 12:06. One of my favorite players.

8. JaneB - May 25, 2013 at 8:07 PM

I love Steve too.GYFNG!

9. DWS - May 25, 2013 at 8:08 PM

I'm just happy to have the option.

10. Caps Fan - May 25, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Bryan Minniti is a Nationals Assistant GM. What happens when a player gets DFA.

11. DWS - May 25, 2013 at 8:10 PM

A thousand miles away, give or take, but I'd love to hop in the car and go to the ballpark.

12. Drew - May 25, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Now that he's been DFA'd, he could wind up in St. Louis.(He might have Maya-Cardinal DNA.)Tip your waiters…

13. sm13 - May 25, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Sorry DWS, didn't mean to rub it in. It is great to be so close to an MLB park.

14. peric - May 25, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Maybe they'd hire Rush Limbaugh to do games. That might be entertaining in and of itself.

15. Doc - May 25, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Up to their usual standard (or lack of standards), Fox knows how to make us feel bad and manipulate the truth!Ripken and McCarthy!Why not Dibble and Riggleman???!!!! With O'Reilly providing the color analysis,with the baseball word of the day—SUCKS!

16. baseballswami - May 25, 2013 at 8:40 PM

You guys are making tonight's announcers sound a little better. Sometimes I can use my DVR to sync up Charlie and Dave with the tv. If I can get a decent radio signal. Go Nats! Welcome to DC Jeff K and family! Big day.

17. Just wonderin' - May 25, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Would O'Reilly have an inherent prejudice again Span, Harper, and LaRoche — all lefties?

18. peric - May 25, 2013 at 8:42 PM

They could hire Anne Colter to be on the field. Wonder if she needs the jet engine heater? As cold as she is she probably needs a blast furnace.

19. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 25, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Rush Limbaugh interned ith the Royals as a young adult.

20. peric - May 25, 2013 at 8:45 PM

21. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 25, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Dan Haren eeds a solid first inning

22. peric - May 25, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Unless Houston or the Marlins decide to roll the die. Of course Marlin country has a lot of Cubans so perhaps?

23. DWS - May 25, 2013 at 8:50 PM

I've seen lots of baseball, just wish it was closer.My first was in Jarry Park. Coco, Boots and a whole bunch of characters that would win now and then.Le Grand Orange came and Mack Jones, and later the best outfield in baseball (according to the Sporting News) Warren Cromartie, Ellis Valentine and Andre Dawson.Tim Raines and Mr Walker were growing up.

24. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 25, 2013 at 8:55 PM

peric said… One more thing, bye bye Maya – a failed experiment.He'll be back in Syracuse. They are paying him too much not to be and he has no choice with the first DFA. So, I'll still have to watch him.I just hope they don't put him back in the rotation.However it shakes out the Nats are on the hook for the bulk of his huge salary so some small market team may take a chance on him just for no other reason than to see if they can fix him because that's what teams like the Orioles do.They have more retreads than an old Buick with 4 tires and a spare.

25. DWS - May 25, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Being familiar with Mr Loria and his son in law.I can't imagine, they'd have to pay minimum. Way to much for Maya.

26. natsfan1a - May 25, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Is this a politics blog or a baseball blog?Regarding tonight's game, hope that Dan has a good start in him, and that our bats have some timely hits in them. Go, Dan! Go, NATS!!

27. DWS - May 25, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Agreed 1a. He might surprise you.What's politics have to do with it? If you're talking a broadcaster…I'm Canadian and have no comment.

28. Doc - May 25, 2013 at 9:11 PM

natsfan 1A, it's a baseball blog, but FOX started us down the political path, like they always do!By the way,Manassas Nats, I don't think Limbaugh ever got to adulthood! At least the NFL didn't think so! LOLGooooooooDan! GoooooooooooooooNaaaaaaaaats!

29. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 25, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Politcal blog? Did I miss something. Posters were not political they were poking fun at the choice of announcers. Not political at all.

30. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 25, 2013 at 9:15 PM

As i said i must be blind i saw no political stuff at all.

31. Sec. 3, My Natural Sofa - May 25, 2013 at 9:19 PM

I dunno, I thought the O'Reilly line was pretty funny.There was a rumor, back in the old country, that Joe Alioto (SF mayor in the 60s) refused to make a left turn in his car.

32. SonnyG10 - May 25, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Ok, boys, let's make it two in a row over the Philthies.

33. baseballswami - May 25, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Just funnin around to ease the sting of a Fox game tonight.

34. Doc - May 25, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Manassas Nats for President–Ooops, that's political.

35. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 25, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Tonight win 3 in a row.My theme "No more losses until we are in first."Excellent goal.

36. peric - May 25, 2013 at 9:41 PM

With Lombo now at second they don't have to parcel out left field to Lombo, Moore, and Bernadina in that order seemingly … with Werth out.They can just go ahead and see what Moore has with Werth still a long way from returning apparently. If he is you have to wonder if Danny isn't? If he got the big surgery done now (along with the right wrist) he'd be ready for spring training next season.Again, the only reason that isn't happening is the ginormous hole behind one Ian Desmond should that happen.

37. DWS - May 25, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Up here you have to pay for Fox news. Not worthy of paying for mind you.Back to the ball game.

38. peric - May 25, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Political blog? Of course! What the heck are the racing presidents if not political? And not a one of them is a democrat per se. Mostly Republicans or something entirely Whiggy I guess. Now, is that fair Natsfan1a?

39. peric - May 25, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Up here you have to pay for Fox news. Not worthy of paying for mind you.I'd pay to see Anne Colter in front of a blast furnace on a cold day. Of course she might have nightmares about Satan coming to get her that night … :)

40. David Proctor - May 25, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Teddy may not have been a Democrat, but he'd be a modern Democrat. Very progressive.Of course, the Nats had him lose every race for years so…

41. peric - May 25, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Teddy may not have been a Democrat, but he'd be a modern Democrat. Very progressive.As would Richard Milhouse Nixon give the current tenor of the Republican party.

42. DWS - May 25, 2013 at 9:48 PM

One can hope Werth will be back soon, because he is missing in the clubhouse and the box score.

43. baseballswami - May 25, 2013 at 9:52 PM

DWS–, I think that was glaringly obvious on the road trip.

44. jeffwx - May 25, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Peric, In my mind, I don't think written attacks is helping to make your point. It may be better to stick to the facts that you bring across to get your ideas through. Your argument will carry much more weight by omitting the following lines that occurred within a 20 min period :================================================I think you need the money for a brain transplant and maybe another pair of eyes.Might the moronic brain that opens its pie hole whenever Zim makes an errant throw … he's not injured now is he? Yeah right moron. You all know absolutely zilch about baseball that is clear Because that is what you are saying moron.W-R-O-N-G as usual moron.==============================================One thing that a blog facilitator should demand is respect from his participators. Continuing to Permit mean spirited behavior not only looks poorly on the blog leaders but also the organizations which they belong to. This behavior has been going on for years and therefore, I wonder if the insider actually condones these comments.I will be forced to write to the employers of the NI facilitators if nothing can be done to moderate this kind of interaction. At least the blog posts should be removed.

45. jeffwx - May 25, 2013 at 10:03 PM

I write this because I fear that kids who love baseball maybe the recipients to or being intimidated by these continual harassing remarks. Baseball is a beautiful sport and no one should be deterred from it or speaking his/her mind on the subject.

46. DWS - May 25, 2013 at 10:04 PM

I'd like to see intensity in the dugout. Like somebody on that team cares. Early in the season yes, but it's season long. Oh re: Danny about time and I wonder about the excuses.

47. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 25, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Technicall GW was a fedralist, which would be a democrat, and TJ was democrat rebPublican which became the democrat party.Teddy was a republican, but being a prgressive he was more a democrat then republican.But now back to baseball not the president race.Mets vs. Braves from last night restarting.

48. Eugene in Oregon - May 25, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Mets trying to give the Braves a W.

49. DWS - May 25, 2013 at 10:13 PM

jeffwx. I enjoy this blog and I can see where you're coming from but I heard a lot worse at the ballpark. The person you're speaking about has a few valid points as do you. If you have kids that are that serious about baseball, congratulations.And they'll learn everything anyway.

50. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 25, 2013 at 10:14 PM

jeffwx, interesting and what you are talking about is more moderation. I noticed many of the trolls are now gone. If you don't engage them they leave.

51. Eugene in Oregon - May 25, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Double play got Mets out of jam.

52. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 25, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Justin upton hit the double play.

53. baseballswami - May 25, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Forgot about the continuation game. Hope it goes a really, really long time :)

54. peric - May 25, 2013 at 10:19 PM

One thing that a blog facilitator should demand is respect from his participators. Continuing to Permit mean spirited behavior not only looks poorly on the blog leaders but also the organizations which they belong to. This behavior has been going on for years and therefore, I wonder if the insider actually condones these comments.Mostly likely because Jeffwx you seem to be focused on my posts and not those of sec 222. He started it. I just finished it. Now, the moderator currently in charge has seen that FOR YEARS and knows well that section 222 is well and deserving. Your problem is you haven't been here that long and seem focused on my posts for some odd reason. Many claim they scroll by them. Honestly I've seen far worse on the WaPo blogs and on other team's sports blogs. If this bothers you sir you should not be reading this blog nor any other sports blog … nor facebook for that matter. And definitely NEVER watch Fox Sports.

55. DWS - May 25, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Couldn't help yourself could you?

56. peric - May 25, 2013 at 10:22 PM

But Ghost/Joe/swami, he's a GG on D. You can't give up that up the middle defense. He is the best athlete on the team. He could play any position. Who's going to back up Desi at short? He has more natural ability and a bigger upside than Harper. He's a future Hall of Famer. Who are you going to trust? Me or your lying eyes? This and several other recent previous posts by this person were aimed directly at me. They are highly disrespectful from my perspective. Deserving of the response they received.Jeffwx please start with the folks that appear to enjoy creating what you seem so disturbed by first. Thank you very much in advance.

57. David Proctor - May 25, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Well Werth is back in the clubhouse. They showed him sitting in the dugout during last night's game. We need him on the field though.

58. peric - May 25, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Couldn't help yourself could you?And Jeffwx, Make that : NEVER watch FOX News. Or listen to Rush Limbaugh for that matter. Doubtless children often hear that gentleman's less than well mannered rants.No, of course not DWS. I don't like getting blamed for trolls like sec 222. I don't like folks blaming Danny Espinosa for every single problem the Nats have right now. In both cases its unfair and rather silly.

59. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 25, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Mets 3 up 3 down on to the 10th

60. jeffwx - May 25, 2013 at 10:28 PM

yes you are right that I focused on only one blogger's post and that is misleading and unfair. I want to apologize for that. I've not been on other blogs but understand your point. I would love to see some basic blog ground rules…basically, that our discussions lose something when we demean or attack another person on the blog. I think we all want to encourage discussion, not deter it.enuf said…let me see if I can blog cause I'm not innocent either.

61. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 25, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Mets bullpen arggggggg.

62. Eugene in Oregon - May 25, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Mets back to giving game away; Braves up by 2 with one out and two on.

63. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 25, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Will Kobernus be used like Eury or given a start?After Davey couldn't remember his name during the post-game, I'd say he will get limited reps.

64. Eugene in Oregon - May 25, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Mr. Kimbral trying to give it right back.

65. SCNatsFan - May 25, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Once again the blog starts to deteriorate into some baseball, some posters attacking each other. Usually a common denominator.Nevertheless, lets hope our guys continue to kick the boys from filthadelphia right into the retirement home.

66. Eugene in Oregon - May 25, 2013 at 10:53 PM

But Mets don't want it. Braves win.

67. baseballswami - May 25, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Oh, I want this series really bad.

68. David Proctor - May 25, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Barves win.

69. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 25, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Mets get first two batters on to start 10th then a popped sac bunt and double play killed that rally fast.

70. David Proctor - May 25, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Steve M, Davey said he may start Kobernus tomorrow vs Hamels.

71. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 25, 2013 at 10:56 PM

We just need to keeping winning.

72. Eugene in Oregon - May 25, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Well, the Fox-MLB.tv blackout rules sure make a lot of sense. The closest Fox outlet for this game appears to be Johnson City, TN (or thereabouts) — that's three or four major river systems, the Great Plains, the Rocky Mountains, the high desert, plus the Cascades away (if you're counting) — but the game is nonetheless still blacked out in Oregon on MLB.tv. Guess I'll watch tonight on the archive, trying not to learn the score between now and then. Enjoy!

73. peric - May 25, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Once again the blog starts to deteriorate into some baseball, some posters attacking each other. Usually a common denominator.Reminds me of the Iranian periodontist I was recommended to handle a toothache. He ended up pulling it (it might not have to have been pulled) and putting in an implant which may now have to come out. All because he claimed he didn't need any panoramic skull scan, no cone beam. After all he said it would make it more expensive (turns out he cost more) and they've been doing it since the stone ages (true the Mayans did it). This is what I will now think of when I think of you SCNatsFan.

74. Just wonderin' - May 25, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Mayans had dental x-rays?

75. peric - May 25, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Mayans had dental x-rays?Dental implants.

76. Candide - May 25, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Glad Cunegonde and I are at the game tonight. Already sick of the political sniping here. I like a good political argument as much as the next guy.But not here, gentlemen; not here.GYFNG!!!

77. Just wonderin' - May 25, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Maybe that's why they got that calendar thing all screwed up last year?

78. peric - May 25, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Maybe that's why they got that calendar thing all screwed up last year?Certainly plausible give that their oral surgeons were likely as bad as the guy I had.

79. David Proctor - May 25, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Haren's velocity is up. He just hit 92. Don't overthrow Dan.

80. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 25, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Ok Dan 8 mote innings like this

81. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 25, 2013 at 11:20 PM

The called 3rd ball about same as where he swung.

82. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 25, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Is the pitcher any relation to Richie Pettibone?

83. peric - May 25, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Glad Cunegonde and I are at the game tonight. Already sick of the political sniping here. I like a good political argument as much as the next guy.Given that the Novella by Voltaire you seem bound whose chief characters you seem bound and determined to use as your avatar is a cynical political satire full of mockery far worse than anything voiced here I find your complaint somewhat hypocritical sir?

84. SonnyG10 - May 25, 2013 at 11:24 PM

I'm listening to Dave and Charlie on MLB.com, and amazingly they are in sync with the fox picture. Yeaaa!

85. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 25, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Argg harper don't try to pull outside pitches. Hit them to left.

86. David Proctor - May 25, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Span is good at a lot of things. Baserunning is not one of them.

87. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 25, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Span must not be as fast as we though as he gets caught stealing too often.Kratz throws himself from his knees.

88. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 25, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Ryan Howard got a cordazone shot hitting great since. Shark needs a shot.

89. jeffwx - May 25, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Is Maya still around ?

90. peric - May 25, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Chris Young in Syracuse and Dan Haren in DC are baseball's optical isomers.

91. SonnyG10 - May 25, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Drats! back to backs by Philties

92. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 25, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Pitch great for 5 batters, then suck eggs 2 in a row. We can'rt have that with our offense.

93. peric - May 25, 2013 at 11:39 PM

err optical isomer singular.

94. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 25, 2013 at 11:39 PM

I might be mad at Haten, but no thanks to Maya.Hitters get serious.

95. peric - May 25, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Could be Zach Duke time and then? Two more DFA's?

96. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 25, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Just came on to comment on Span. Between his caught stealing and pickoffs, he's been awful in baserunning. Include in there getting doubled off 2nd in the first game of the Braves this season in the first inning.

97. David Proctor - May 25, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Hey maybe that fluky infield single really did get Tyler Moore going.

98. peric - May 25, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Honestly, Davey should just let Werth lead-off when he comes back. The reasoning behind it is simple: it worked unbelievably well last season. Just put Span back in the lineup 7th or 8th …

99. David Proctor - May 25, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Just keep the game at 2-0 Haren. Please.

100. David Proctor - May 25, 2013 at 11:55 PM

That's what we get for playing a 1B in LF.

101. Joe Seamhead - May 25, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Don't get me going.

102. Joe Seamhead - May 25, 2013 at 11:57 PM

No damage, but Tyler should not be out there. Period.

103. SonnyG10 - May 25, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Didn't cost us anything…this time.

104. peric - May 25, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Corey Brown has 5 home runs now, 2 since he got of the DL. Last one he hit left the park and went into the road to win the game. That's who's next if T-Mo can't do it.

105. Drew - May 25, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Some LF duty is in Kobernus' future.

106. peric - May 26, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Some LF duty is in Kobernus' future.And he's not bad but he doesn't have power like Brown and Rahl do. But yeah that's one of the reasons he is here now. He could conceivably play in any of the three spots.

107. Joe Seamhead - May 26, 2013 at 12:01 AM

That was a lack of communication. That was a lack of experience. That was a lack of talent to be able to play a respectable outfield. That was lucky that there was no damage done.

108. peric - May 26, 2013 at 12:06 AM

That was an outfielder who barely played 2 games in the outfield in the minors, who before that, was exclusively a first baseman? And then he is asked to learn and play the position in the majors? And he isn't the fastest guy in the outfield although he was athletic enough to play quarter back in high school. Still? What can you expect they didn't certainly did not do that to Harper?

109. Joe Seamhead - May 26, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Way to go ADAM LaROCHE!

110. peric - May 26, 2013 at 12:10 AM

I think that's called a lack of management. Moore should be in the minors learning to play the outfield and getting ab's every day. Not on the bench and then expected to run out to the outfield and play when asked. In other words: Its Davey and Rizzo's fault.

111. David Proctor - May 26, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Suzuki checked his swing and made accidental contact. Bad luck there.

112. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 26, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Check swing on a ball probably outside the zone and a good rally dies.Just not bases loaded hits this season.

113. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 26, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Are you saying Suzuki makes contact by luck He's better than that.

114. David Proctor - May 26, 2013 at 12:19 AM

I'm not saying Suzuki makes contact by luck. He wasn't trying to swing there. It was bad luck that the ball hit his bat and stayed fair.

115. baseballswami - May 26, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Base stealing is only partly about speed. It's more about reading pitcher's and catcher's moves. My guess is that Span was well versed in his division in the AL and is not here in his entirely new environment. I have seen guys known as slow- Zim for example, steal successfully because they are choosing exactly the right spot to go. I think the second half of the season will be better. I hear the new kid knows how to steal. We used to have a first base coach who was great at stealing and taught our players a lot. Forget who it was, though.

116. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 26, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Lombo played the roll of Espi tonight.Lombo leaves man on second on first at bat.No one on second at bat he gets a hit.That would be in the spirit of Espi.

117. Knoxville Nat - May 26, 2013 at 12:25 AM

We also use to have a third base coach who was pretty good at knowing when to send a runner home and when not to do so. I'm told he also did a good job at coaching up young outfielders and those would be outfielders. Oh to have him back.

118. baseballswami - May 26, 2013 at 12:26 AM

And of course. He is the only guy on the team doing that….

119. peric - May 26, 2013 at 12:27 AM

I hear the new kid knows how to steal.Kobernus and Perez probably are the two best and two of the best in the minors right now when it comes to stealing.

120. peric - May 26, 2013 at 12:27 AM

The problem with them all and Espy still is the inability to take a walk.

121. Knoxville Nat - May 26, 2013 at 12:27 AM

MNF……to be fair don't forget the very good night Lombo had at the plate last night.

122. David Proctor - May 26, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Span is having a big day!

123. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 26, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Took advantage of an error.

124. Joe Seamhead - May 26, 2013 at 12:29 AM

No bad for a spray hitting singles hitter. Gotta love it!

125. David Proctor - May 26, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Span will square one up every once in a while. He's good for 4-6 HRs a year.

126. baseballswami - May 26, 2013 at 12:31 AM

And also to be fair to Lombo, he was peppered with chances defensively last night and made some very, very good plays. The error was not all that routine .

127. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 26, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Nice AB by Span to make contact and rewarded with a RBI single.

128. Drew - May 26, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Nice work by Lombo and Span.Meantime, Blake Schwartz just put up another tremendous start for Potomac — 2 hits, 0 walks, 1 earned over 8 innings. A reliever is on in the 9th trying to preserve the 3-1 lead.Schwartz might be a find from the 2012 draft. In 36 innings at Potomac, he has a sparkling 1.00 ERA.

129. baseballswami - May 26, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Apparently the Harper foul ball injured a fan not paying attention. Hope they are ok.

130. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 26, 2013 at 12:37 AM

I like how Span went a little longer in the 1 strike count and just got in front of it. On the 2 strike pitch he shortened up. That's the way to do it. Span is like Rendon where he doesn't panic on 2 strike counts.That should be the 1-2 hitters one day for the Nats.

131. peric - May 26, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Robert Gilliam did well starting for Harrisburg last night … one of he pitchers they got from the A's. Small sample size so we'll have to see …

132. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 26, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Sitting down the line you must pay attention

133. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 26, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Come on, why are you playing a pitcher like a chump.

134. baseballswami - May 26, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Oh, and it's a kid.

135. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 26, 2013 at 12:39 AM

You can play him like a chump to left field but not CF or RF.

136. David Proctor - May 26, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Can't allow doubles to the pitcher.

137. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 26, 2013 at 12:41 AM

And there you go. You hold the pitcher to a single and he's at 3rd base on that double.

138. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 26, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Thanks Haren we tie it and you immediately get 2 outs and then 2 doubles including the pitcher. You should be better than that.

139. Joe Seamhead - May 26, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Drew, do you know what's wrong with Billy Burns in Potomac? Talk about wheels on the base paths!Come on Dan Haren.

140. baseballswami - May 26, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Oh, so it's going to be one of those nights….. Can we answer back again?

141. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 26, 2013 at 12:44 AM

6 left on base through 4. We get so frew clutch hits.

142. David Proctor - May 26, 2013 at 12:46 AM

I thought our clutch hitting has been fine today for the most part.

143. David Proctor - May 26, 2013 at 12:46 AM

LAROCHE! OPPO BOPPO!

144. baseballswami - May 26, 2013 at 12:47 AM

You see Pagan had a walk off inside the park homer run? That is just weird . Only at AT and T.

145. Joe Seamhead - May 26, 2013 at 12:47 AM

That was dedicated to our resident ALR haters!

146. David Proctor - May 26, 2013 at 12:50 AM

That shot by Desi is probably an XBH if it's a slower CF. Revere has glove issues, but he's very speedy.

147. SonnyG10 - May 26, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Dang! Suzuki needed a golf club to hit that one in the dirt.

148. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 26, 2013 at 12:51 AM

When the ball is outer part of plate you should always go the other way ALR just did.Haren hold the line.

149. SonnyG10 - May 26, 2013 at 12:54 AM

What happened to the WJFK feed?

150. baseballswami - May 26, 2013 at 12:54 AM

After a JZim start, the pace of the game always seems to drag.

151. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 26, 2013 at 12:54 AM

I'm still ticked about that double to the pitcher. If Tarasco and his outfielders can't figure this stuff out then get a new coach. That's 3 very poor outfield positioning in a week and the one in SF cost the Nats a game and controversy.

152. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 26, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Suzuki cant see this guy, remember his check swing hit one out of the zone

153. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 26, 2013 at 12:56 AM

SonnyG10 said… What happened to the WJFK feed? I was listening on MLB Radio and I gave up. Listening to these FOX guys. Yuck.

154. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 26, 2013 at 12:56 AM

What happen to strikes

155. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 26, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Nice play by RZim!!!

156. baseballswami - May 26, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Did I hear that Duke is getting ready in the pen? Gulp.

157. David Proctor - May 26, 2013 at 12:58 AM

I think he was warming in case Haren ran into trouble that inning. He wouldn't come in for the 7th of a tie game, I would hope.

158. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 26, 2013 at 12:59 AM

WJFK is back on.

159. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 26, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Joe Seamhead said… That was dedicated to our resident ALR haters! Make that singular, 'hater'!

160. peric - May 26, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Did I hear that Duke is getting ready in the pen? Gulp.That is is role.

161. SonnyG10 - May 26, 2013 at 1:01 AM

That's what I have to do now, Ghost. double Yuk!

162. peric - May 26, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Double switch Bernadina and Moore leaves the game or will they send Kobernus out?

163. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 26, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Hrod no Duke

164. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 26, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Shark needs a cordazone shot

165. Joe Seamhead - May 26, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Would you believe that bum Adam LaRoche is tied with Bryce Harper for the team lead in RBI's?

166. David Proctor - May 26, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Well H-Rod has actually been somewhat decent lately. We'll see how he does in a tie game.

167. baseballswami - May 26, 2013 at 1:04 AM

I am aware that is his role. I just feel that he and HRod are not reliable. Now with Mattheus out, I think we need a pen revamp. Just does not seem to be solid.

168. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 26, 2013 at 1:06 AM

First medium stress inning for Henry in a long time. Heart pumping.

169. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 26, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Henry gets the bottom of the order.

170. peric - May 26, 2013 at 1:07 AM

That's what I have to do now, Ghost. double Yuk!its back.And right now former Oriole Mark Reynolds has a better chance at an all star appearance at first base than one Adam LaRoche. He has 12 home runs and 40 RBI. He's batting a robust .263.Shouldn't Adam at least be at THAT level Ghost? Or does he get all the excuses that you refused to give to players oh … like Espinosa?

171. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 26, 2013 at 1:07 AM

That's what RZim has to do, charge every ball.

172. SonnyG10 - May 26, 2013 at 1:07 AM

So far, Zim's making good throws from third tonight! Way to go Zim

173. Joe Seamhead - May 26, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Haren only threw 88 pitches. I'm surprised he didn't get another inning.

174. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 26, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Why didn't Davey swap out Bernie for Moore?

175. baseballswami - May 26, 2013 at 1:10 AM

At this point of the season, guys either have to show up or be gone. Might as well find out before we get any deeper into the season. Billy Ripken mentioned earlier in the game he thought Haren was limping or something. Maybe his back?

176. SonnyG10 - May 26, 2013 at 1:10 AM

OK, got Dave and Charlie back. Thanks for the heads up, peric.

177. peric - May 26, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Why didn't Davey swap out Bernie for Moore?Kobernus.

178. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 26, 2013 at 1:11 AM

I was getting ready to congratulate Henry. He just can't get a clean inning.

179. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 26, 2013 at 1:12 AM

This is where I would have pulled Henry. He's all over the place now.

180. David Proctor - May 26, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Nice inning for H-Rod.

181. baseballswami - May 26, 2013 at 1:12 AM

He is going to kill someone.

182. SCNatsFan - May 26, 2013 at 1:12 AM

No mlb feed for me stuck watching box on the net. Henry looks much better over the net and not on tv.

183. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 26, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Whew, heart beating…….All in all, Henry did good.

184. SonnyG10 - May 26, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Yeaa! Henry. Making a comeback.

185. baseballswami - May 26, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Triple digit wildness. Scary.

186. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 26, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Usually Henry falls apart when he HBP's someone or walks them as the WP can happen. Henry kept his composure.

187. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 26, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Good henry. HBP guy dives in and tried to get hit earlier in the at bat.Now score and put henry in position to win.

188. Joe Seamhead - May 26, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Well, now, how about that? HRod comes throughNow let's get some runs!

189. peric - May 26, 2013 at 1:16 AM

190. baseballswami - May 26, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Does he ever have an outing where he doesn't hit a batter or the backstop?

191. peric - May 26, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Does he ever have an outing where he doesn't hit a batter or the backstop?Yes, when he averages around 96. Then they can hit him. Today he was up over 100. That's when he uncorks them.

192. peric - May 26, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Henry is still a work in progress. I know it sounds odd … this is the "performance league" but it sure looks like its been baby steps with Henry.

193. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 26, 2013 at 1:20 AM

peric said… Heart pumping?At this point I don't trust Storen to get an out. Henry's stats are a lot better right now! May 25, 2013 9:16 PM I don't know about you, but I don't compare pitchers that come in for mostly low leverage appearances vs all high leverage appearances.It's apples and oranges.

194. Joe Seamhead - May 26, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Actually, it's a 3-way tie in RBI's with Harp, Adam and Zimm with 23 each.

195. NatsJack in Florida - May 26, 2013 at 1:21 AM

196. baseballswami - May 26, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Any word on Haren's departure?

197. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 26, 2013 at 1:23 AM

peric said… Does he ever have an outing where he doesn't hit a batter or the backstop?—————-Yes, when he averages around 96. Then they can hit him. Today he was up over 100. That's when he uncorks them. May 25, 2013 9:18 PM Just more excuses. I'm so sick of hearing excuses. Just do your job.

198. peric - May 26, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Just saw a replay of ALR's home run. It's absolutely amazing how such an old man can hit a ball that far.Henry Aaron never hit home runs that far. He left that to Dave Kingman. He was just consistent offensively. As a guy making $10,000,000 and next year $15,000,000 should be.

199. baseballswami - May 26, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Like I said — it's that time if the year. Show up or move aside for someone who will be happy for the opportunity.

200. NatsJack in Florida - May 26, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Somebody seems to love guys with excuses.