May 25, 2013, 1:51 AM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Tyler Moore collides with Erik Kratz on a play at the plate in the fourth.
Game in a nutshell: After a grueling road trip out west, the Nationals returned home for the start of a significant homestand, facing a Phillies club that could have caught them for second place in the NL East. But behind yet another strong start from Jordan Zimmermann and a suddenly potent lineup that came through big with a four-run fifth (three of those runs coming with two outs). Steve Lombardozzi was the biggest offensive star, going 3-for-4 with two RBI. Tyler Clippard and Rafael Soriano cruised through the eighth and ninth innings with no trouble, and the Nationals got this homestand off to a solid start, handing Zimmermann his NL-leading eighth victory and creating a little more space between the two heated division rivals.
Hitting highlight: Lombardozzi couldn't have picked a better night to get hot at the plate. With Danny Espinosa now sidelined with aRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m. TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper rediscovers his hitting stroke
- Nationals need win today to avoid losing road trip
- Depleted Nationals lineup shut out by Marlins
- Nationals can't fight back against Marlins, lose 3-0
- Werth out but says ankle sprain isn't serious
- Strasburg takes mound for big start vs. Marlins
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start
- Around the NL East: Which team will make a big splash via trade?
- After meltdown, Nationals must bounce back
- Werth hopes to play Tuesday after spraining ankle