May 25, 2013, 1:51 AM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Tyler Moore collides with Erik Kratz on a play at the plate in the fourth.
Game in a nutshell: After a grueling road trip out west, the Nationals returned home for the start of a significant homestand, facing a Phillies club that could have caught them for second place in the NL East. But behind yet another strong start from Jordan Zimmermann and a suddenly potent lineup that came through big with a four-run fifth (three of those runs coming with two outs). Steve Lombardozzi was the biggest offensive star, going 3-for-4 with two RBI. Tyler Clippard and Rafael Soriano cruised through the eighth and ninth innings with no trouble, and the Nationals got this homestand off to a solid start, handing Zimmermann his NL-leading eighth victory and creating a little more space between the two heated division rivals.
Hitting highlight: Lombardozzi couldn't have picked a better night to get hot at the plate. With Danny Espinosa now sidelined with aRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies
- LaRoche gets rare night off with tight back
- Gonzalez faces Hamels in showdown of southpaws
- Nats' Triple-A affiliate Syracuse raking in postseason awards
- A primer on postseason roster eligibility rules
- Around the NL East: Stanton making strong push for NL MVP
- Nationals can't pull off dramatic rally this time
- Nats' momentum stalls vs. Phillies in first game of long road trip
- Cabrera out of lineup, but not seriously injured