May 25, 2013, 1:51 AM EST
USA Today Sports Images
Tyler Moore collides with Erik Kratz on a play at the plate in the fourth.
Game in a nutshell: After a grueling road trip out west, the Nationals returned home for the start of a significant homestand, facing a Phillies club that could have caught them for second place in the NL East. But behind yet another strong start from Jordan Zimmermann and a suddenly potent lineup that came through big with a four-run fifth (three of those runs coming with two outs). Steve Lombardozzi was the biggest offensive star, going 3-for-4 with two RBI. Tyler Clippard and Rafael Soriano cruised through the eighth and ninth innings with no trouble, and the Nationals got this homestand off to a solid start, handing Zimmermann his NL-leading eighth victory and creating a little more space between the two heated division rivals.
Hitting highlight: Lombardozzi couldn't have picked a better night to get hot at the plate. With Danny Espinosa now sidelined with aRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Harper wants to be a one team player
- Scherzer and Strasburg learning from each other
- Nationals' Saturday workout is a washout
- Nats sign veteran lefty Hill to minor-league deal
- Do the Nats need another left-handed bat?
- Observations from Friday's workout in Viera
- Nats sing Happy Birthday to Denard Span, with bonus Danny Espinosa videobomb
- PHOTO: Looks like Scherzer will be a Jedi for Nats' 'Star Wars Day'
- LaRoche: Nats have transformed D.C. into a baseball city
- Matt Williams sets the tone for Nats on Day 1