May 26, 2013, 10:02 PM EST
USA Today Sports Images
Ross Detwiler is headed to the DL with a lingering oblique injury.
His lingering oblique strain not yet completely healed, Ross Detwiler will have to spend time on the disabled list, forcing the Nationals to look for another fill-in starter for Tuesday night's game against the Orioles.
Detwiler appeared to be good to take the mound as planned after completing a bullpen session Saturday with no issues. But while testing himself during a Sunday morning fielding drill, the left-hander felt the oblique tighten up, and team doctors decided not to take any chances.
"He went out and was doing some running and playing catch and complained," manager Davey Johnson said. "Whereas it's better than it was, it's tight, and we didn't feel like it was the best thing. … We're not going to rush it and exacerbate it at this point."
Detwiler will be placed on the 15-day DL, retroactive to May 16, the day after he last pitched in Los Angeles. He would be eligible to return June 1, one day before his turn in the rotation would come up again (Sunday in Atlanta).Read more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nats believe Ramos can catch 125 games
- Nationals in no rush to acquire left-hander
- Rizzo talks up Espinosa amid trade rumors
- Report: Phillies willing to trade All-Star Dominic Brown
- Long-time Nats nemesis Halladay retires
- La Russa, Cox, Torre elected to Hall of Fame
- Lefties on agenda as Winter Meetings begin
- Granderson, Mets reach $60M, 4-yr deal
- Could Michael Morse return to the National League?
- Nate McLouth gives Nats depth & insurance