May 26, 2013, 8:20 PM EDT
Stephen Strasburg dominated over eight innings to earn his third win.
Game in a nutshell: The highly anticipated Stephen Strasburg vs. Cole Hamels matchup lived up to the billing, with each ace carrying a shutout into the seventh. That's when Strasburg turned things up a notch and Hamels fell back to earth. Strasburg struck out the side in the top of the seventh, then watched as his teammates ambushed Hamels for five runs in the bottom of the inning. That was way more run support than Strasburg needed, enough that manager Davey Johnson didn't need to push his right-hander beyond 112 pitches and let Tyler Clippard close out the ninth. One negative development for the Nationals, though: Bryce Harper's knee (already banged up from his collision with the wall in Los Angeles almost two weeks ago) was barking so badly he had to be pulled for a pinch-runner in the seventh.
Hitting highlight: It was turning into yet another maddeningly frustrating day at the plate for the Nationals, who couldn't get another going against Hamels for six innings. And then, theyRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals hang on to beat Reds 4-2
- Instant analysis: Reds 1, Nationals 0
- Roark, Nats win 4-1, hand Reds seventh-straight loss
- Denard Span leading the way for Nats in July
- Roark, Nats look to bounce back in Game 100 of 2014 season
- The Baseball Show: Should the Nats make a trade? (VIDEO)
- Power Rankings: Which MLB stadium is the best?
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats trending up after big week
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Nationals Stock Watch: Strasburg's road struggles continue