May 26, 2013, 8:20 PM EDT
Stephen Strasburg dominated over eight innings to earn his third win.
Game in a nutshell: The highly anticipated Stephen Strasburg vs. Cole Hamels matchup lived up to the billing, with each ace carrying a shutout into the seventh. That's when Strasburg turned things up a notch and Hamels fell back to earth. Strasburg struck out the side in the top of the seventh, then watched as his teammates ambushed Hamels for five runs in the bottom of the inning. That was way more run support than Strasburg needed, enough that manager Davey Johnson didn't need to push his right-hander beyond 112 pitches and let Tyler Clippard close out the ninth. One negative development for the Nationals, though: Bryce Harper's knee (already banged up from his collision with the wall in Los Angeles almost two weeks ago) was barking so badly he had to be pulled for a pinch-runner in the seventh.
Hitting highlight: It was turning into yet another maddeningly frustrating day at the plate for the Nationals, who couldn't get another going against Hamels for six innings. And then, theyRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Mark Zuckerman gives his take on Harper, Williams ejections
- Harper stories from his college teammate, Chasen Shreve
- Scherzer on his start, chocolate sauce & Harper-Miggy
- That time Stephen Strasburg was on Letterman
- After shaky 1st inning, Zimmermann cruises
- Nationals Stock Watch: Other hot bats besides Harper
- Hershey's pitches in to help Nationals continue sweet celebrations
- Harper, Williams strongly disagree with ejections from win vs. Yankees
- Harper and Williams ejected again, Nats rally again
- Harper, Williams ejected vs. Yankees on Wednesday night