May 26, 2013, 4:41 AM EDT
Drew Storen gave up the decisive two runs in the top of the eighth.
Relievers probably don’t get enough credit when they pitch well and take too much heat when they struggle, but every one of them knows it all comes with the territory. Pitch one inning every other day, usually in high-leverage situations, and it’s only natural that everything will be magnified.
And right now, the magnifying glass is hovering directly over Drew Storen’s head, exposing every imperfection during what has been an inconsistent two months for the 25-year-old right-hander.
After surrendering the two decisive runs Saturday night during the Nationals’ 5-3 loss to the Phillies, Storen finds himself with numbers uncharacteristic of the first 2 1/2 seasons of his career: a 5.21 ERA, three blown saves, 33 baserunners in 19 innings. And he knows past success doesn’t overshadow recent struggles.
“It doesn’t matter how long you’ve been doing this, or what you’ve done in the past,” he said. “It’s: ‘What have you done for me lately?’ I haven’t done a whole lot. So I’m gonna be unhappy about it regardless, and it’s gonna be fixed.”
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
OCT. 7: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs
- MLB postseason begins tonight: Wild Card playoff preview
- 5 questions facing the Nationals in the postseason
- Nats finding ways to stay sharp (VIDEO)
- Games 1 and 2 at Nationals Park will be matinees
- Revisiting Opening Day predictions on the Nats
- Zimmermann named NL Player of the Week for 2nd time this year
- Nats' plan to stay fresh before Game 1 of the NLDS
- Denard Span sets Nats hits record to add to special day