May 27, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Battle of Beltways begins today at Nationals Park.
The Nationals and Orioles have been playing each other every year since 2006, but never like this. As part of MLB's new schedule this season, all geographic interleague rivals are playing each other four straight days in two cities. So the Battle of the Beltways begins in D.C. today and tomorrow, then shifts to Baltimore on Wednesday and Thursday.
The Nationals go into this series banged up. They were already without Jayson Werth, Danny Espinosa and Wilson Ramos. Now they're without Bryce Harper, sidelined today with what Davey Johnson said was diagnosed as bursitis in his left knee. Harper will probably miss tomorrow's game as well, then might be able to DH at Camden Yards later this week.
Gio Gonzalez gets the start, looking to continue his recent hot streak (1.29 ERA over his last three outings). He'll be facing right-hander Jason Hammel, who somehow has a 6-2 record despite a 5.37 ERA.
Plenty of updates to come from the ballpark on this spectacular Memorial Day in the nation's capital…
BALTIMORE ORIOLES at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB Network (outside D.C./Baltimore market)
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), WTEM (980 AM), XM 183
Weather: Partly cloudy, 72 degrees, Wind 5 mph out to RF
CF Denard Span
2B Steve Lombardozzi
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- More observations from Sunday's 3-2 win
- Nats get big hit for big win
- Nationals grind their way to walk-off victory
- Former Nats catcher Chris Snyder retires from MLB
- Bryce Harper's 'nothing but hustle' Nats magazine (PHOTO)
- Espinosa making most of his playing opportunity
- Strasburg, Nats hope to turn page vs. Cardinals
- Harper, Williams and Werth on benching (VIDEO)
- Bryce Harper benched in Nats' loss to Cardinals for 'lack of hustle'
- Anthony Rendon error costs Nationals in loss to Cardinals