May 27, 2013, 4:51 PM EDT
|Photo by USA Today|
Bryce Harper is out of the Nationals lineup against the Baltimore Orioles on Monday after leaving Sunday’s game in the seventh inning with an aggravated sore knee. An MRI showed no structural damage for Harper, but he has been diagnosed with bursitis.
Team Medical Director Wiemi Douogiuh said a few days rest is the best course of action at this point.
“Bryce has got some inflammation of a bursa sac in the front of his knee,” Douogiuh said. “It has nothing to do with the joint. We got an MRI that just showed some soft tissue swelling, soft tissue edema. We anticipate it’s going to clear up in a couple of days. There is nothing structurally wrong with his knee.”
Harper said on Sunday he did not plan to miss any time, but Davey Johnson and the Nationals decided it was best to have him sit.
“If you were seeing the same thing I was seeing, he was hurting even when he came into the dugout,” Johnson said.
“I think it’s just uncomfortable — it’s like an inflammation. We just need to let it calm down. It was a little more swollen today.”
Team trainer Lee Kuntz said the Nats are most concerned at this point with Harper re-injuring the knee.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- State of the Nats: Cardinals coming to town
- The Baseball Show: Things are turning up for the Nats
- Marlins in panic mode after poor start to 2015
- Strasburg's changeup key in Nats' win against Phillies
- Denard Span's return felt 'like old times' for Nats
- Strasburg dazzles in Span’s return
- Taylor sent down to Syracuse, hopes to develop consistency
- Nats activate Span off disabled list for Sunday's game
- Strasburg starts as Nats host Phillies in series finale
- Zimmermann still trying to find groove