May 27, 2013, 4:51 PM EST
|Photo by USA Today|
Bryce Harper is out of the Nationals lineup against the Baltimore Orioles on Monday after leaving Sunday’s game in the seventh inning with an aggravated sore knee. An MRI showed no structural damage for Harper, but he has been diagnosed with bursitis.
Team Medical Director Wiemi Douogiuh said a few days rest is the best course of action at this point.
“Bryce has got some inflammation of a bursa sac in the front of his knee,” Douogiuh said. “It has nothing to do with the joint. We got an MRI that just showed some soft tissue swelling, soft tissue edema. We anticipate it’s going to clear up in a couple of days. There is nothing structurally wrong with his knee.”
Harper said on Sunday he did not plan to miss any time, but Davey Johnson and the Nationals decided it was best to have him sit.
“If you were seeing the same thing I was seeing, he was hurting even when he came into the dugout,” Johnson said.
“I think it’s just uncomfortable — it’s like an inflammation. We just need to let it calm down. It was a little more swollen today.”
Team trainer Lee Kuntz said the Nats are most concerned at this point with Harper re-injuring the knee.
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- New MLB commissioner Manfred suggests banning defensive shifts
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- PHOTO: Max Scherzer takes out full-page ad to thank Tigers fans
- Braves claim former Nats prospect off waivers from Yankees
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Anthony Rendon
- Former Nats pitcher Ross Ohlendorf follows Detwiler to Rangers
- PHOTOS: Bryce Harper attends Clippers game, meets Blake Griffin
- Big decisions to make for Nats after Scherzer signing
- Scherzer talked to Fister, Thornton before joining Nationals
- Ichiro Suzuki, former Nats OF Jonny Gomes land in NL East