Instant analysis: Orioles 6, Nats 2

May 27, 2013, 8:12 PM EDT

USA Today Sports Photos
Gio Gonzalez labored over 5 2/3 innings, suffering the loss.

Game in a nutshell: In the opener of this four-game Battle of the Beltways, the Nationals needed a quality start out of Gio Gonzalez, both to set a positive tone today and to save the bullpen heading into tomorrow's game (with Ross Detwiler now on the DL). Gonzalez, though, labored over 5 2/3 innings, allowing four runs and putting 11 men on base. Thus, the Nationals were forced to play from behind, something they've struggled with all season. They have yet to come back to win any game this year in which they trailed by more than two runs, and today was no different. Jason Hammel scattered two runs and eight hits over eight innings, and the Nats went 2-for-11 with runners in scoring position. With the loss, they dropped back to one game over the .500 mark, still unable to get themselves on any kind of extended hot streak.

Hitting lowlight: Plenty of lowlights to choose from, but let's focus on the bottom of the seventh inning, which began in fine fashion: a Roger Bernadina double. Just one problem: The Nationals neverRead more »

1. mick - May 27, 2013 at 8:17 PM

so what is going to change and WHEN??????

2. Unknown - May 27, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Disgusting. This team is no heart, no fight, all marketing.

3. mick - May 27, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Unknown… I think it may be a case of not that good and over rated

4. mick - May 27, 2013 at 8:21 PM

The O's rebuilding is amazing, they will be playing post season…my worst nightmare was Angelos having the last laugh and it looks like he will. i never would have thought it. I think the Lerners should have a sit down with Rizzo and Davey.

5. DJB - May 27, 2013 at 8:22 PM

The Nats are so bad, I just don't know where to begin. But I guess you must point to Rizzo. Just take a comparison between these two franchises for a start. The Orioles are a team on the rise, with a new GM who manages to pull young players while not having the worst record in baseball. The Nats are going downhill with a team that includes two so-called once-in-a-generation players and a bunch of scrubs. The farm is bare. Their stars have been mismanaged. And we shutdown our strongest asset when we had a chance to win. This game encapsulates everything Rizzo has screwed up.

6. nats guy - May 27, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Only thing I have to say is that those uniforms are really ugly. Preferred the Red, white and blue from prior years.

7. David Proctor - May 27, 2013 at 8:22 PM

The O's don't stand a chance in the postseason with their pitching. Granted, they have some good young prospects so that could help. But this year? No way. They won't be able to outslug teams with their pitching staff.

8. JaneB - May 27, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Turns out Maalox makes it more fun to drink bourbon through the game. But we aren't getting Maalox play. Now the bourbon just feels sad. Oh well. Get em tomorrow. Or not.

9. nats guy - May 27, 2013 at 8:23 PM

DJB,Get off the ledge. Its only a baseball game. Life goes on.

10. David Proctor - May 27, 2013 at 8:24 PM

"The Nats are going downhill with a team that includes two so-called once-in-a-generation players and a bunch of scrubs." Absolutely silly. Zimmermann is a scrub? Werth is a scrub? Detwiler is a scrub? Gio is a scrub? Zimmerman is a scrub? Desmond is a scrub? Clippard is a scrub? Soriano is a scrub? Span is a scrub?The hyperbole here is just amazing. You would think we were 10 games under .500.

11. jeffwx - May 27, 2013 at 8:24 PM

O's built in a typical AL direction…lots of O.Nats built on Pitching and defense primarily.However, O's had a good pitcher out there today. so good pitching beats mediocare hitting and viceversa

12. David Proctor - May 27, 2013 at 8:25 PM

It is Karns tomorrow.

13. mick - May 27, 2013 at 8:26 PM

all right, time to start the grill… I hope they can pull off a win tomorrow with Karns Dave and Nats 128, we are good

14. Joe Seamhead - May 27, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Karns is pitching here tomorrow.

15. jeffwx - May 27, 2013 at 8:29 PM

And Espi back on Wednesday…Can't imagine that 5 games will help heal the kind of injuries he has.

16. nats guy - May 27, 2013 at 8:29 PM

DJB,All teams are never as bad as they seem and never as good as hoped. The nats are an average team going through a tough luck time. Last year they were an average team who had some incredible breaks. We overrated this team a little because of last year. You just need to bring the expectations down and stop fretting about a game that was meant for entertainment not suffering. I have been watching this a long time and I will always have 1969 and 2012 for which I remain thankful,

17. jeffwx - May 27, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Boy, Davey looks real bummed….Injuries might be worse than we know esp with Harper, Det, etcAnd he doesn't have a lot of bench and backup pitching for the Det to be sure.

18. Gonat - May 27, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Gonat said… As I said earlier, if Karns is pulled from his start…..Karns was pulled. May 27, 2013 2:32 PM _______________________________________I take little credit for this. SteveM told me last night this would be the move.Karns was scheduled to start today and when he was pulled……….I also tweeted to Amanda and Mark early this morning and then again when Karns was pulled but they just ignored the tweet. Whatever.

19. jeffwx - May 27, 2013 at 8:34 PM

The Amazin Mets…How'd they do it with Ron Swaboda, Cleon Jones, Bud Harrelson, Jerry Grote, Tommie Agee…Oh yeah, great pitching

20. jeffwx - May 27, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Good call, Gonat….saw your posts

21. David Proctor - May 27, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Karns has a career 2.70 ERA. He has struggled a bit at Harrisburg with a 4.60 ERA, but he allowed 7 ER in his first start and that's inflated his numbers. After his first start he's allowed: 0, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 5, 3 and 4.

22. William O. Douglas Loeffler - May 27, 2013 at 8:37 PM

I think Lombardozzi, Moore and Bernadina could be characterized as scrubs, to be fair, and all of them were starting today, with only one of them providing stellar defense to partially offset his pathetically bad hitting. Unfortunately, we seem to have one non-scrub guy off the bench, which is Suzuki.And I know Bernadina and Moore got doubles today, but it will take a bunch more of those before any of us will feel good about seeing them out there playing.

23. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 27, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Nats about to go on a 15 of 20 run.

24. Joe Seamhead - May 27, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Well,gee, I guess we should call in the dogs and sell the farm listening to some of you.Season's over. Book your Orioles playoff tickets.May 27th, and the O's have sealed the deal, but the Nats season is over.On May 27th! No need to play the games in June, July, August, or September.

25. Gonat - May 27, 2013 at 8:42 PM

jeffwx said… Good call, Gonat….saw your posts ________________________________________I gave it to Mark early this morning. He didn't even bother responding to any of my Tweets to him. I Tweeted him back when Karns was pulled.‏@NatsHR2Win: @ZuckermanCSN Let's see if Karns is pulled from his start today. He's already on the 40 man.8:36 AM – 27 May 13

26. William O. Douglas Loeffler - May 27, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Great point about the 1969 Mets. The Mets did it in 1969 because all of those guys you mentioned who were barely above the scrub level had career years. The Mets exceeded their Pythagorean expectations by 8 games, winning 100, and then upset a far superior Orioles team, with equally good pitching due to a slew of monumental great plays that you would virtually never see in a span of only 5 games.The next year the Orioles easily beat a far superior Reds line-up (with weaker pitching though), when it was the O's making all the great plays in a short series.I am afraid that Desmond and Espinosa may have both already maxed out. Ramos can't stay healthy. Moore shows no ability at all to match his offense from last year, and Lombo, Shark and Chad are all far from what they did last year. Span is decent but has little power and is actually having his worst season so far.

27. EmDash - May 27, 2013 at 8:43 PM

The Os are two games better than the Nats. Not exactly an unstoppable dynamo. Gio and our pitching just had a bad day against a strong offense, and our hitters haven't been good enough to make up that gap so far.A team with our pitchers and the Os offense would be unstoppable, to be sure. But they both have problems.

28. NatsJack in Florida - May 27, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Good csll Gonat. I'll vouch for your Karns call. He's one of several 40 man roster moves that I hope are coming.

29. David Proctor - May 27, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Karns is already on the 40 man.

30. William O. Douglas Loeffler - May 27, 2013 at 8:49 PM

The Nats still have a good chance to win their division, but perhaps not the wild card. The Braves are far from stellar hitters either and finally last night blew a close game after winning several games in a row that could have gone either way.It was only last weekend that we had a chance to take back first in the NL East. The O's do not seem to have any better chance of winning their division than the Nats do, and I would actually say their chances are worse given the strength of their division, with the last place team in the AL East being preseason favorites. The AL West is likely to take two or three post-season slots this year and unless the O's greatly improve their pitching, they are unlikely to match last year, when the AL East was much weaker.

31. Gonat - May 27, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Thanks NatsJack although like I said was just sharing the info given to me by SteveM. I don't think he was looking to get bashed for the info by those who hate the "know it all" stuff. Me, I thought it made perfect sense.Young made little sense after he threw 36 pitches yesterday and struggled in 1 inning of work as I posted earlier to Caps Fan.It was funny that Harrisburg's answer to Karns being pulled today was to push his start to tomorrow.Teams like this CIA type of mis-information to give the Orioles less time to put together scouting info on him.I remember how nervous Karns was in his first Spring Training start and expect he will start nervous. Go Karns!!!

32. Gonat - May 27, 2013 at 8:51 PM

David Proctor said… Karns is already on the 40 man._____________________________________I think NatsJack knows that. He means bringing in 40 man guys like him and Corey Brown.

33. Gonat - May 27, 2013 at 8:52 PM

We barely knew Xavier Cedeno.

34. NatsJack in Florida - May 27, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Yes. I knew that but there are 2 or 3 moves yet to come.

35. NatsJack in Florida - May 27, 2013 at 4:56 PM

I still find it strange that Taylor Jordan dropped off all rosters earlier today.

36. NatsJack in Florida - May 27, 2013 at 8:59 PM

I can take that back. He's back on Harrisburgs.

37. Joe Seamhead - May 27, 2013 at 9:00 PM

He was reassigned to Harrisburg, I believe, Jack.

38. Joe Seamhead - May 27, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Beer!

39. Rabbit34 - May 27, 2013 at 9:02 PM

"Only once in his career had Yamaico Navarro recorded two hits and two RBI in the same game. Until today"….Unfortunately, when teams play the Nationals they hit many milestones, go to places they have never gone before.

40. David Proctor - May 27, 2013 at 9:04 PM

You know, the Nats farm system isn't nearly as bad as some here act. Karns has put up good numbers, Jordan is looking good, Krol is looking good. Obviously Rendon. Goodwin has a lot of potential. Sky is the limit for Giolito. Our system is only bare in that there are a lot of guys who aren't major league ready yet.

41. NatsJack in Florida - May 27, 2013 at 9:08 PM

See, maybe I missed something but I know Taylor Jordan went from Potomac to Harrisburg but that's it. I'm not sure how he got reassignwd to Harrisburg.

42. NatsJack in Florida - May 27, 2013 at 9:11 PM

There are two 21 yo guys out of the Dominican farm that I've watched develope for the past 3 years here in Florida that are now in Hagerstown that can amount to something.

43. Unknown - May 27, 2013 at 9:12 PM

44. Another_Sam - May 27, 2013 at 9:12 PM

JaneB — don't despair. LOL. There's a game tomorrow.

45. NatsJack in Florida - May 27, 2013 at 9:13 PM

The system is loaded with arms and Daniel Rosenbaum isn't one of them.

46. phil dunton - May 27, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Davey has lost this team. Retire him now and hire Mark DeRosa as the new manager.

47. phil dunton - May 27, 2013 at 9:30 PM

The Beast hit a three run homer in the first inning against the Padres today. That's # 11.

48. baseballswami - May 27, 2013 at 9:38 PM

I just got home from the game and am completely confused. Why is Jordan not pitching tomorrow?

49. NatsJack in Florida - May 27, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Because he pitches every 5th day.

50. NatsJack in Florida - May 27, 2013 at 9:43 PM

The off day Thursday allowed them to skip a Det start.

51. baseballswami - May 27, 2013 at 9:52 PM

So then Stras and Gio were on a normal routine because of the off day, stick new guy in the middle, resume with Jordan and Haren. Then on the next rotation put Det back in the five spot? I heard the radio guy talking about Karns tomorrow and I thought I had lost my mind. This feels out of left field. Too much orange has demoralized me. Today Moore with an RBI, Bernie with a big knock and then everyone else went to sleep. Gio was off from the beginning and the O's were hitterish. HRod made me want to weep. After that giant O during a beautiful national anthem I was boiling anyway. Better luck tomorrow. Lineup , rotation and bullpen now out of sync. Hoping for a better result tomorrow.

52. baseballswami - May 27, 2013 at 10:00 PM

New post

53. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 27, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Swami I was at the game too.Tyler was fine in the second then pathetic after that.Nats 2 for 11 O's 5 for 15 RISP.We simply as a team do not hit well, and with RISP. seems much worse.

54. Secret wasian man - May 27, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Got home just now. No more os games. Although going to Camden Wednesday. Bad team. It's .500 ball hurry back Bryce and Jason. Ughhhhhhhhhh

55. Secret wasian man - May 27, 2013 at 10:31 PM

GIO only chance is Wednesday in Crackmore. Man we suck

56. Secret wasian man - May 27, 2013 at 10:43 PM

I hate auto……. Our only chance is wed

57. 75eb9422-c723-11e2-be5b-000f20980440 - May 27, 2013 at 11:16 PM

this is why u go for it when u had the chance rizzo .. now your team can't hit, can't field and your manager is too old .. we sure could use morse right now

58. Nats 128 - May 27, 2013 at 11:23 PM

SWM is a positive thinker.

59. Devin Taylor - May 28, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Learn how to make $500 a day. http://goo.gl/V4ahR Hurry offer ends soon!!!

60. Sec. 3, My Natural Sofa - May 28, 2013 at 5:19 PM