May 27, 2013, 8:12 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Photos
Gio Gonzalez labored over 5 2/3 innings, suffering the loss.
Game in a nutshell: In the opener of this four-game Battle of the Beltways, the Nationals needed a quality start out of Gio Gonzalez, both to set a positive tone today and to save the bullpen heading into tomorrow's game (with Ross Detwiler now on the DL). Gonzalez, though, labored over 5 2/3 innings, allowing four runs and putting 11 men on base. Thus, the Nationals were forced to play from behind, something they've struggled with all season. They have yet to come back to win any game this year in which they trailed by more than two runs, and today was no different. Jason Hammel scattered two runs and eight hits over eight innings, and the Nats went 2-for-11 with runners in scoring position. With the loss, they dropped back to one game over the .500 mark, still unable to get themselves on any kind of extended hot streak.
Hitting lowlight: Plenty of lowlights to choose from, but let's focus on the bottom of the seventh inning, which began in fine fashion: a Roger Bernadina double. Just one problem: The Nationals neverRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Phillies could hire MLB's first female general manager
- October madness: All 4 MLB division playoff series in action
- After a disappointing 2015, what's next for the Nats?
- Both AL Division Series get started on Thursday
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Mark Zuckerman on a big offseason
- What was the turning point for the 2015 Nationals?
- What went wrong for the Nationals in 2015?
- Desmond posts letter to Nationals fans on Twitter
- Miami to adjust dimensions at Marlins Park
- Astros, Yankees kick off playoffs in AL Wild Card game