Game 52: Orioles at Nats

May 28, 2013, 7:35 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Nate Karns and Kevin Gausman face off tonight at Nationals Park.

Neither team designed it this way, but circumstances dictated that the Nationals and Orioles will each be sending rookie right-handers to the mound for the second game of their interleague series. Neither Nate Karns nor Kevin Gausman had pitched above Class AA prior to this season, and neither spent a day at Class AAA before getting promoted to the big leagues (Gausman's call-up coming five days before Karns).

So it should be a good matchup between these two young fireballers. One thing to watch in particular: How do they fare against the opposing lineups the second time around? Gausman struggled in that department last Thursday in Toronto. We'll see if he's made an adjustment, and we'll see if Karns is able to overcome that issue against a very tough Baltimore lineup.

Bryce Harper once again is out of the Nationals' lineup. Davey Johnson is going with the same group that yesterday produced only two runs, hoping to get a little more thunder against Gausman.

Updates to come, please check back…

BALTIMORE ORIOLES at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), WTEM (980 AM), XM 184
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 78 degrees, Wind 7 mph out to LF

CF Denard Span
2B Steve Lombardozzi
3B Ryan Zimmmerman
1B Adam LaRoche

1. SCNatsFan - May 28, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Winning tonight would feel so good, not only winning but beating the O's and sending their fans home unhappy.

2. Joe Seamhead - May 28, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Not that Davey has a whole lot of options, but I am not too crazy about this lineup. Maybe Tyler is good for a home run tonight?BTW, Atl/Tor now in 10th still 6-6.

3. Eric - May 28, 2013 at 7:43 PM

7 – 6 on a McCann homer.

4. Joe Seamhead - May 28, 2013 at 7:44 PM

McCann just homered.

5. Joe Seamhead - May 28, 2013 at 7:45 PM

How's that beer, Eric?

6. sjm308 - May 28, 2013 at 7:46 PM

SCNatsfan – agreed! Got just a bit more grief at the gym today than I needed but they won, we lost.I will be joining Natsfan1a in listening on the radio. Did not watch yesterday but did listen and could hear the "lets go O's" cheers in the late innings. Almost glad my 20 game plan did not include an O's game. How did they do the announcing? They couldn't have all 4 in the booth at once (or could they?) Between Bobby Sunshine and Jim Hunter there must have been tons of gushing about both teams. They will never do it but for this series I would love to hear Jim Palmer and FP just talk about the game and the hell with a play by play guy.Go Nats!! Let me be able to walk into the gym tomorrow with just a little swagger.

7. Secret wasian man - May 28, 2013 at 7:52 PM

I don't see how's there's anyway with this lineup we slow down them Os hon. I was at the game yesterday. Too many Os fans. I am going to Ralph Cramden yards tomorrow. I don't expect many Nats fans. 3 teams I will never go and see anymore at Nats park. O,s Yanks and Phillies. There fans are such PIGS they ruin it for us family folks.

8. Caps Fan - May 28, 2013 at 7:55 PM

"Earlier this week, Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reported that the decision to exercise the 2014 option may have annoyed Rizzo, since the contract from which the option came was not especially lucrative. Under the 2014 option, Rizzo will be in the bottom third in GM pay, Kilgore noted. Here's more from Rosenthal."Picking up Rizzo's 2014 option does not preclude the Lerners tearing it up and giving him a bigger salary for 2014/2015 as part of an extension. What is does do is prevent stories like "Cheap Lerners haven't picked up Rizzo's option yet" which would be what Kilgore and Rosenthal would be reporting now if the option hadn't been picked up. Rizzo knows that, and so do Kilgore and Rosenthal. If Rizzo was annoyed by anything, it was probably that the details of his contract were being discussed. He's a no comment guy when it comes to player and manager contracts, and probably expects the same for his own contract situation.

9. Tcostant - May 28, 2013 at 7:56 PM

The doc who did Zimmermanns and Strasburg's Toomy John surgery pass away. Strange that he died so young… http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/28/noted-sports-orthopedist-dr-lewis-yocum-has-died/

10. Eric - May 28, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Mmmmm, yummy beer, thanks Joe!"I don't expect many Nats fans."I'll be there tomorrow. Can't wait!I would be surprised if Nats fans aren't there in force. It seems as though there've been a large number of curly dubs all over the country so far this season.

11. Caps Fan - May 28, 2013 at 8:01 PM

" How did they do the announcing? They couldn't have all 4 in the booth at once (or could they?) Between Bobby Sunshine and Jim Hunter there must have been tons of gushing about both teams. They will never do it but for this series I would love to hear Jim Palmer and FP just talk about the game and the hell with a play by play guy."A couple of innings of Carpenter-FP-Mike Bordick followed by what seemed like an eternity of Jim Hunter-Bordick-FP followed by a couple innings of the first trio to finish the game. The O's A broadcasting team of Gary Thorne-Jim Palmer does not deign to participate in this fiasco. Palmer used to, but I think Dibble scared him away. Carpenter admitted this morning on 106.7 that he's not a fan of the arrangement, but it's not his call. It comes from MASN management, and we all know who that is.

12. natsfan1a - May 28, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Go, NATE! Go, NATS!! (try quickly typing, or saying, that three times and get back to me)

13. Secret wasian man - May 28, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Eric I hope so. My teenage son claims there are a lot of curly W hats around because they think its coooooool.. W means winner. I saw several is Disney a couple years ago and when I approached those folks and said " Go Nats". They had no clue.

14. Tcostant - May 28, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Tonights game reminds me of the "The Nationals of Christmas Pass", when I use to look forward to seeing the next hot shot pitching prospect. I'll be watching and think he'll pitch great! Make that choice to send you down hard!

15. JaneB - May 28, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Okay Nate! I'm coming to the park, like an adopted Mom, to watch you make your debut. I hope you have a great night and a positively memorable experience! GYFNG! GYFNG! (one for Nate, for the Nats)

16. Section 222 - May 28, 2013 at 8:28 PM

I imagine most STHs got this email, but at tonight's game if you show your red Ultimate Baseball Access card when you buy a hot dog at a Nats Dog stand, you get a free 16 oz. beer. Par-tay!

17. baseballswami - May 28, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Looking forward to watching the kid. Just wish we did not have this dreadful joint coverage. I was at the game yesterday. There were way too many O's fans for me but the were mostly only noisy right after a score and then they quit. They started chants a few times but Nats fans booed then down. For me the worst thing is that disrespectful O during our National Anthem. If you must disrespect your country at your park that is one thing, but don't do it in ours. Don't let anyone tell you the Nats fans were outnumbered or not into the game- not true where I was. I hate the idea that if you are not standing up and screaming or clapping with two strikes you are not following the fan rules. Most of the time I am quietly praying for that third strike. With Henry it takes so long I am spent but that last out anyway. You can be watching intently and concentrating on every pitch and be totally quiet but very much into the game.

18. EmDash - May 28, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Looking like Harper won't even be able to DH in Baltimore. But no DL. I really wish they had just put him on the DL right after that wall crash; he hasn't been well since then, and they keep rushing him back. And then he inevitably makes the injuries worse.It seems like Davey/Rizzo have been managing a little desperate since the team's in a hitting slump. It's true we don't have any hitting options close to as good…but that's why keeping him healthy long-term needs to be the highest priority.But Espi could come back tomorrow. With a broken wrist, and torn rotator cuff. So….sorry, I try to avoid being negative. But the management of position player injuries (non-hamstring edition) just baffles me entirely this season.

19. Tcostant - May 28, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Mark said on 980am, Harper won't even DH in Baltimore the next two days, per Davey.

20. John C. - May 28, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Not DHing Harper is smart, IMHO. The last couple of times he has hurt the knee has been with a foul ball and a couple of face first slides – both obviously risks that DHing won't solve.

21. JD - May 28, 2013 at 8:44 PM

So who will DH? Tracy?

22. EmDash - May 28, 2013 at 8:45 PM

I totally agree that it's smart. I just don't understand the refusal to use the DL. They just keep having to play short.

23. Eric - May 28, 2013 at 8:51 PM

"I just don't understand the refusal to use the DL."I'm guessing because no DL means they can drop him back in at any time instead of having to wait the minimum amount of time (15 or 60 days)…it's definitely perplexing about Harper. It's possible that he really was seeming to get better and had clean MRIs and that the bursitis was an undetected lurking danger that flared up. Who knows, though.Out of curiosity, if you put someone on the 15-day DL, is the replacement call up allowed to stay on the 25 man roster only for those 15 days, or can they stay on for as long as it takes to get the DL'd player back in the line up?

24. Nats 128 - May 28, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Eric said… 7 – 6 on a McCann homer. May 28, 2013 3:43 PM Joe Seamhead said… McCann just homered. May 28, 2013 3:44 PM Joe Seamhead said… How's that beer, Eric? May 28, 2013 3:45 PM I beat you all to it. I was talking to myself on the other post. Got that HR stamped in at 3:41PM.Thats 2 more beers!

25. CN - May 28, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Gio should DH. He does have the 2nd highest OPS on the team (behind Harper), according to Kilgore. Would like to see Kobernus play the field and have Moore DH, but it seems like Tracy would be the option.

26. baseballswami - May 28, 2013 at 8:55 PM

I totally and completely agree with this puzzling aversion to the DL. A player gets hurt, they sit out, we play short, they sit out a bit longer, we play short, they try to play, they regress and sit out again or end up on the DL after some stops and starts. Just put them on the DL, get them totally right and then bring them back after sufficient rehab starts- that is , more than ONE. I hate to break the news to Danny and Bryce but when you are playing hurt you are not actually helping your team, you are limping along and delaying things. Someone needs to be the grown up in the room and just say NO!

27. Nats 128 - May 28, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Here it should be great news to DH and you must analyze hitters who are around .150 and you look to who you have hitting over .250 and can only find pitchers.I nominate Zach Duke.

28. EmDash - May 28, 2013 at 8:58 PM

I understand their thinking is that they don't want to lose Harper for too long. That's what I mean by managing desperate, though – they seem to be thinking short-term gain rather than potential long-term harm. That collision was so hard that health consequences were pretty much inevitable, no matter the player's "toughness." Add in the Espinosa issue, and it adds up to a pattern that's frustrating. The player will always think he's all right to play. Management needs to be more realistic.Werth has been on the DL way more than 15 days at this point, so I guess that means players can stay on until the team is ready to reactivate them.

29. Section 222 - May 28, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Eric, a player who is put on the 15 day DL must stay on the DL for at least 15 days, backdated to the day after the last time he appeared in a game, but there is no maximum number of days he can stay there. Moving the player to the DL opens up a spot on the 25 man roster, which stays open until the player returns whenever that may be. A player who is called up to replace someone on the DL can stay on the roster even after the injured player returns if someone else is removed to make a spot for the returning player. See Harper, B. in 2012.

30. EmDash - May 28, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Adding in that if you let a player go out there and they reaggravate the injury, you're no longer able to back-date a DL stint and you lose them for longer. See also: what happened with Werth, and arguably Ramos. I could see the thinking for Werth; as a veteran player he should know his body/limits more than average. But everyone else? It should be entirely management's call.

31. Eric - May 28, 2013 at 9:03 PM

I agree, EmDash and swami. At the very least, Harp should've been out at least until the damn stitches dissolved or were removed. Kind of a no-brainer, imo. But, I've never managed a team to 98 wins, so what do I know ;).

32. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Eric said Out of curiosity, if you put someone on the 15-day DL, is the replacement call up allowed to stay on the 25 man roster only for those 15 days, or can they stay on for as long as it takes to get the DL'd player back in the line up?Called up player can stay on the 25-man as long as there's an open spot for him. Just like the 15-day DL means "a minimum of 15 days but up to as long as you decide". The difference from the 60 day DL is that you don't need to keep a 60-day guy on the 40-man roster. Of course, just like the 15-day and the 25-man, when a player comes off the 60-day, teams need to take off someone if they've filled all 40 slots in the meantime, and that may have contractual implications as well.

33. CN - May 28, 2013 at 9:04 PM

By optioning Karns back after tonight's start, that would not allow the team to bring him back for a Sunday start, if Det is unable to play 5 days from now. IIRC, a player optioned to the minors cannot be called back unless there is a diff player that is DL'ed. Sooo, Davis and Karns cannot easily be re-swapped for Sunday's game.Not that there won't be a fair share of injuries to choose from to DL another player…

34. Eric - May 28, 2013 at 9:04 PM

"Moving the player to the DL opens up a spot on the 25 man roster, which stays open until the player returns whenever that may be."OK, thanks, that's what I wasn't sure about.Agreed again, EmDash, @5:02

35. Nats 128 - May 28, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Mark thinks Erik Davis who is a good righty reliever could be the callup when Karns is shipped back.My question is why not keep Xavier Cedeno who is a lefty and you called him up for a reason. Why all the mixed signals.

36. Eric - May 28, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Thanks Eddie.

37. Eric - May 28, 2013 at 9:06 PM

>Not that there won't be a fair share of injuries to choose from to DL another player…Hrm…maybe that has something to do with why players aren't always DL'd right away? If they can manage to play without risking serious injury, it may allow Rizzo/Davey more chips to shuffle things around as needed?

38. baseballswami - May 28, 2013 at 9:10 PM

And now the same thing with Espi- we are supposed to be thrilled beyond belief that he will be back on Wednesday – with a recently diagnosed broken hand, even though he said he heard a clicking noise in it that he did not hear before. What? There is an adequate substitute in that position. No need to rush- no, really, no need to rush. I am telling you that I would rather have none of these guys play, lose every game for a week , if it meant that the team could then move on. Toughness is one thing poor judgement is another.

39. baseballswami - May 28, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Isn't there some kind of ten day rule with moving from majors to minors and back again?

40. Gonat - May 28, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I think one other wrench in the DL for a player you are carrying like the Nats did with Detwiler is that once you go past the 10th day they haven't played you can only go back retroactively 10 days which would mean they would have to sit out at least 5 more days once they are placed on the DL.Usually not an issue but Detwiler I believe was 11 days since he last played when they placed him on the DL.You have to wonder if they did DL another player if they wouldn't bring up Marrero to DH since he's on the 40 man.

41. EmDash - May 28, 2013 at 9:16 PM

I think there is – but there's an exception for injury, I think? I.e., a player can be moved back sooner if someone else is placed on the DL. Not positive about that, though.As for shuffling pieces around…possibly, but taking that kind of risk with Harper is ill-advised. He's their most important non-pitcher player….I am going to stop ranting about this now, honest. *g*

42. sjb - May 28, 2013 at 9:16 PM

If Bryce were DLed he wouldn't be available til June 11, which is, IIRC, about when they expect Werth back. I can't blame them for not wanting to go into Atlanta without either of them. (After that comes three with the Mets and three with the Twins at home, but the Nats could be 8 back by then.). You could bring up Marrrero or Corey Brown to replace him, but Marrero is a defensive disaster (though it might be nice to have him as DH in Baltimore), wile Brown is an OK outfielder but not a great bat.

43. EmDash - May 28, 2013 at 9:17 PM

On a positive note, I'm pleased about the idea of Erik Davis being called up. His performance in the minors has been seriously impressive so far. Hope they can find a way to keep him.

44. baseballswami - May 28, 2013 at 9:21 PM

I would not mind at all seeing Marrero DH. I think a lot of the plans will hinge on tonight. They will have to see how things go, how many innings the bullpen needs to spend. I really thought yesterday we were going to need five bullpen innings at one point. Does anyone know if Karns is on any kind is a pitch limit or does he usually go deep? He has not been on my radar. Might just as well use him. Worst that can happen is we lose and we have plenty of guys who can do that. Take a chance, see what you have.

45. Section 222 - May 28, 2013 at 9:24 PM

swami, I believe if come up to replace a player who is put on the DL and are then sent back down, you have to stay down for at least 10 days, unless you are brought up to replace a different injured player. The rule prevents precisely the kind of yo-yo-ing that's being suggested with Det, Karns and Davis. It's easy in hindsight to argue that Harper should have been put on the DL, but 15 days is a long time for an every day player. (It's like a whole half a month, right? :-)) It's totally understandable that the Nats don't DL every player who gets hurt right away, even if the player is Harper and the injury looks serious. If it looks like the player might miss only a handful of games, you don't want to make a hasty decision and end up not having your star available when he's returned to good health.Now if the player is playing terribly anyway and could use a rehab stint to get his act together, that's another story. Cough… Espinosa… Cough.

46. Secret wasian man - May 28, 2013 at 9:30 PM

After the os is Braves. The season may be lost at that point. The injuries may just be to,much to overcome.

47. Eugene in Oregon - May 28, 2013 at 9:31 PM

222,Well, cough, cough, said.

48. Secret wasian man - May 28, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Not saying it wouldn't be best to DL Harp. But with the shape we are in now that would just about sink this season. If it isn't already. Gotta play the kid. No chance without him.

49. baseballswami - May 28, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Oh, yeah. The season may be soooo lost at this point of the season that no team ever in the history of baseball could ever,ever recover. Might just as well concede the rest of the season if we lose to the Braves. Especially if a certain — cough, cough, middle infielder stays in the lineup. We are doomed, I tell you. It is over!!!!!!,

50. EmDash - May 28, 2013 at 9:46 PM

I tend to think it would be better to dig yourself a bigger hole without Harper now if you're better equipped to dig out of it later because he's healthy. A lot of baseball left – if you regard every series as do-or-die and run players into the ground accordingly, you're much less prepared for the long trek that is the six-month season. This is leaving out that Harper isn't as productive when he's hurting – in May he's .193/.319/.368. That's not going to improve if he's not given time to heal.

51. MicheleS - May 28, 2013 at 9:50 PM

GO NATE!!!! I wish I was there tonight to cheer him on!Definitley going with Charlie and Dave. Mike Bordick is too dry (cough boring) for me. And while Gary Thorn maybe a good announcer, I will never listen to a game he calls again after the way he ripped the Nats last year. I personal ly hope that the AngelO's go down in flames this year only if to torture the turd owner. (nothing against their players – some of whom i really like)

52. baseballswami - May 28, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Em Dash you are reading my mind. My grandmother used to call that being penny wise and pound foolish. I just don't want to see Bryce on and off the bench every other week. Werth either. Better to make the time investment and have fully healthy players down the stretch. Bryce and Espi don't add much to the team when they are messed up.

53. baseballswami - May 28, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Michele– amen!!!!!

54. baseballswami - May 28, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Kevin Millar just pulled a Davey Johnson on Lombo's name- total butcher job. Showed the knee deflection play.

55. David Proctor - May 28, 2013 at 10:00 PM

It's storming pretty badly here in Fairfax. Hope it avoids DC.

56. Eugene in Oregon - May 28, 2013 at 10:24 PM

57. Eugene in Oregon - May 28, 2013 at 10:26 PM

The other element of the 'pound foolish' DL equation is that you're playing a man short (or, in the current case, two men short) while waiting to make the DL (or not) decision. If I'm counting correctly, the Nats have a two-man bench (plus the back-up catcher) tonight.

58. MicheleS - May 28, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Just a comment..Remember we used to have the Matt Stairs Memorial Award. I think we can have another award: the DFA Doug Slaten award. Remember how we used to crow for Slaten to get DFA'd? I am thinking by the number of post that Zach Duke is the leader in the club house.Now, I am not calling for Zach to go. I think there has been some serious issues with bullpen management (and that's on Davey). When you have relievers going more that 4/5/6/7 days without being used, that's a problem

59. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 28, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Nats extra had an interesting stat. Nats are 28th in average. Once they have 2 strikes .154. Yesterday 1 for 17 with 2 strikes.

60. baseballswami - May 28, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Eugene- exactly! The combination of the starter being out, but not being able to replace them is very bad. You get some extra innings and you are totally screwed. Or you let your hurting guys pinch hit and they wreck themselves further, or delay the DL clock.

61. Section 222 - May 28, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Rain delay. I remember that JZnn's debut had a long rain delay before it started. And the Nats won that game.

62. jeffwx - May 28, 2013 at 10:57 PM

we may not like ownership, but The Os – Nats matchup will be great for years to come…both teams with great, young talent. I'm impressed with the Os young offense and their up and coming pitchers…Great expectations: Os vs Nats WS in 2014

63. jeffwx - May 28, 2013 at 11:00 PM

with bursitis, unfortunately, that's what happens, (flares up, rest a couple days, flares down, play a week, flares up) unless you're Mantle and drink your way thru it.

64. baseballswami - May 28, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Hate to think that Bryce is going to have chronic knee problems. Takes away the most exciting part of his game. Take care of him!!!!!!!

65. Sec. 3, My Natural Sofa - May 28, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Raining in Shaw for about 20 mins, getting heavier now.

66. David Proctor - May 28, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Bursitis isn't a chronic condition long-term. It can be surgically fixed and the recovery isn't bad. But it's not something he'd do mid-season. He would get it after the season ends and be good to go for spring training. For now, once the swelling is down, he can play. Resting it won't help. That's why he's not on the DL. It's not something that can really "heal" once the swelling is down. One bad move on it and it swells up again.

67. baseballswami - May 28, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Waiting for a game to start- feels like last week. Now if I watch the whole game I will be sleepy at work again tomorrow. I promised them it was over when the team came back easy. Doesn't look like it will be terribly long, but still…

68. David Proctor - May 28, 2013 at 11:21 PM

I feel bad for Karns. Already has to deal with a new routine and top that off with a rain delay where even some major league pitchers struggle? Plus, being thrown into the fire against one of the top hitting lineups in baseball? Not ideal conditions.But maybe he surprises us!

69. jeffwx - May 28, 2013 at 11:22 PM

stoopid, thats where he got it from…Sect 3 cartoonAnother storm rolling in TPBoston announcer announces, Nationals have the best rotation in baseball, but you got to score a little for those guys

70. baseballswami - May 28, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Choo just thought he hit a home run on a ground rule double- went into his trot and passed second. Ump had to call him back. Awkward.

71. jeffwx - May 28, 2013 at 11:25 PM

agreed DP..surgery not an option right, so it swells down, play a little, flares up again, rest a little, play a little…Luckily he has more than one bursa sack to bust (aren't there 11 according to my google search).

72. MicheleS - May 28, 2013 at 11:25 PM

David P.. listening to Charlie and Dave and they reminded me of Jordan's first start.. two hour rain delay, same Home Plate Ump.. Jordan won.. I am sure they don't have Nate warming up yet.

73. natsfan1a - May 28, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Yeah…cough cough…at one game over .500 on May 28, the Nats might as well throw in the towel. Remember when the Houston Chronicle published a June 1, 2005 obit for the Astros, who were 19-32 with 111 games left? What a shame about the rest of their season. All they did was advance to the World Series.

74. baseballswami - May 28, 2013 at 11:28 PM

I hear that Nate is somewhat of a cool customer. So glad to hear that. It will serve him well under these conditions. We have seen how much the right mind set can contribute to success. And the reverse. Such a mentally taxing game.

75. natsfan1a - May 28, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Preach it, sister!baseballswami said… Michele– amen!!!!! May 28, 2013 5:52 PM

76. MicheleS - May 28, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Update on Sean Burnett:Bill Shaikin‏@BillShaikin Burnett to #Angels DL.Sean Burnett said he got an injection in left elbow after diagnosis of inflammation. X-rays revealed no structural damage, he sai‏

77. jeffwx - May 28, 2013 at 11:30 PM

throw in the towel ?Do you mean Zack Duke, or is the towel dry ?

78. mick - May 28, 2013 at 11:32 PM

listening the junkies this morning puts the Nats in an objective perspective…. their starting opening day lineup has only played about 10 games together and with 4 out of that lineup, the drop off is seen. I agree with that assessment.However, what it does expose is how weak the Nats backups are and that the so called talent base below the starters is very over rated, maybe the Gioloto's and others in the minors will be very good one day in 2-3 years. This means the Nats do not have any depth to contend

79. baseballswami - May 28, 2013 at 11:32 PM

I think reaction from some earlier dramatics. Legion of Doom. Lots of hyperbole.

80. jeffwx - May 28, 2013 at 11:34 PM

ahhhh…the sky is falling…I knew it was coming.

81. David Proctor - May 28, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Burnett has been dealing with injuries all year. He's been very good when in, but he's missed quite a bit of time. He didn't get very much money, so my guess is that Rizzo let him walk because he knew something about his injuries and not because of the money.

82. MicheleS - May 28, 2013 at 11:38 PM

I never thought I would say this, but Kevin Millar had some good comments on the Nats on IT today. Question was.. are you concerned about the Nats right now 51 games in. He said no and said the pitching is there and once the guys come off the DL, the hitting will come back. Wow, Kevin makes a point (albeit an obvious one)

83. baseballswami - May 28, 2013 at 11:41 PM

I am going to engage in some semantics with you. You are saying our backups are weak. I would say that our backups have not been performing well up to this point. That would be like saying on April 20 th that Adam is a terrible baseball player, which some people said, instead of saying that it was taking him a long time to get going. Lombo has had a couple of multiple hit games, average trending up, Moore has had a couple of rbi's , Bernadina crushed a ball yesterday. We have watched these guys play well, Tracy also, and we know they can. Being weak or not talented is totally different than being off to a slow start or struggling to get going. I choose to see that the bench players are starting to warm up and will get back to form. Might not over achieve, but will certainly do better. Already are headed that way.

84. MicheleS - May 28, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Swami, one thing I like about your posts.. the glass is always half full. The way this season has started out has just been odd/weird. Roles don't seem to be defined. As long as we are close on AUG 1, I think things will settle in and we can battle until the very end.As has been stated (and thanks to 1A for the Stros comment), It's not how you start, it's how you finish.

85. jeffwx - May 28, 2013 at 11:48 PM

yes…that's what she said

86. baseballswami - May 28, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Last year we got off to a fast start and had the Braves chasing us the whole way. By the end, I just felt that the team was fading. The Cardinals and Giants were not in the picture even in August and then they got hot and were gaining momentum. It really is a very long season and this is much too early to concede the season. You are right, Michele, these first two months have had an odd feel. Not in sync. I am hoping that this tougher path makes them have a harder edge later on in the season.

87. baseballswami - May 28, 2013 at 11:54 PM

8:25 start. Not quite as bad as the west coast games, but sleep challenging.

88. jeffwx - May 28, 2013 at 11:56 PM

take a nap now.

89. baseballswami - May 29, 2013 at 12:00 AM

I think I missed my nap window chatting here. I will just nap tomorrow before that game. Baseball first, sleep later, right? Missed too much baseball during the road trip.

90. mick - May 29, 2013 at 12:03 AM

effwx… your response to me was uncalled for. Did I say the sky is falling? No, I reiterated what the junkies on 106.7 said which I agree with, meaning the starters if healthy are damn good. I happen to agree the depth is over rated, exception Lombo. Swami… I think Tracy is too old and the Shark just cannot hit, it is my opinion and I think stats would back me right now. Moore could be having a sophomore slump, I hope that is the case. The bottom line, after 50 plus games, it is not too early to worry

91. Just wonderin' - May 29, 2013 at 12:03 AM

I see Mets have asked Mariano Rivera to throw out 1st pitch. Do you think they think that will leave him ineligible to pitch the 9th?

92. jeffwx - May 29, 2013 at 12:03 AM

yep…napping helped me for the west coast swing

93. mick - May 29, 2013 at 12:05 AM

to addThe pitching situation could become serious if Det does not come back and Rizzo does not address the bullpen

94. mick - May 29, 2013 at 12:09 AM

"That would be like saying on April 20 th that Adam is a terrible baseball player, which some people said"What refutes your point is Adam turned it around 3 weeks ago. The others have not after 50 plus games

95. MicheleS - May 29, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Mick… I give Rizzo 2 years to restock the minors with more than enough talent. I think it's fine to question what is going on. We have all been a bit (or more) than disappointed with how things have started out. It's all about OUR expectations. I still believe we will be in the playoffs. and with Jordan/Stras/Gio/Det, I think we have more then an excellent shot of advancing.

96. Eugene in Oregon - May 29, 2013 at 12:22 AM

MicheleS wrote: As has been stated (and thanks to 1A for the Stros comment), It's not how you start, it's how you finish.&baseballswami wrote: I am hoping that this tougher path makes them have a harder edge later on in the season.+++++++++++++++++++I tend to agree with both of you that things will get better. But my concern is that the Nats not fall too far behind before they turn the corner. And since 'too far' is impossible to quantify — and varies significantly from season to season and division to division — I would like to see the team avoid the sorts of mistakes that would lead to losing unnecessary games, e.g., waiting too long to make a decision on DL'ing a player or keeping an underperforming player in the line-up when there are no signs a break-out is coming. Even a couple of extra wins (or losses) could make things much simpler (or harder) come August and September.

97. baseballswami - May 29, 2013 at 12:23 AM

I would love to see the team get over this thing where it seems they can only win with Bryce in the lineup. I would love to see myself get over that expectation also. I know they can play well. I know it. And yes, I am disappointed in the play of the team. And I would expect that it would take part time players longer to break out than a veteran starter. It would be so sweet if the team started to heat up tonight. The weekend seemed better. Get hot, get healthy!!! Go baby Nat!!!!

98. David Proctor - May 29, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Karns is getting squeezed.

99. baseballswami - May 29, 2013 at 12:29 AM

He throws 97?

100. David Proctor - May 29, 2013 at 12:30 AM

He averages 95. He can hit 96 and 97, yes.

101. David Proctor - May 29, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Nice first inning Karns!

102. Gonat - May 29, 2013 at 12:31 AM

What a 1st inning!

103. MicheleS - May 29, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Shhhweeeettt.. Nice 1st inning for Mr Karns

104. baseballswami - May 29, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Way to go, kid!!!!

105. Gonat - May 29, 2013 at 12:31 AM

In typical Nats pitcher fashion the ump blows a K call. Not surprising at all. Welcome Nate Karns.

106. Gonat - May 29, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Can we just call him Nat Karns?

107. Doc - May 29, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Our guy Karns covered 1B on that ball to ALF in the 1st like a 10yr. vet!

108. JaneB - May 29, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Baby Nat Nate looking good!

109. David Proctor - May 29, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Damn that was a good swing by Span.

110. baseballswami - May 29, 2013 at 12:33 AM

I for one would not mind if we got rid of the letter E.

111. Gonat - May 29, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Since when does our leadoff man swing at the 1st pitch of the game?

112. David Proctor - May 29, 2013 at 12:36 AM

It was a good swing. If you get a fastball right down the middle, no reason to wait. Having said that, we tend to swing early at bad pitches. But in that case, it was fine.

113. David Proctor - May 29, 2013 at 12:38 AM

GREAT WAY TO START!!!

114. MicheleS - May 29, 2013 at 12:38 AM

ADAM BOMB!!!

115. Secret wasian man - May 29, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Not even an inning in and Bordick has put me to sleep. Both teams announcers totally homeing it ughhhh. Volume down. ALR ALR ALR ALR Turn volume up for the horn though. cmon guys.

116. Gonat - May 29, 2013 at 12:38 AM

That's incredible! That ball was crushed by ALR

117. Secret wasian man - May 29, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Sure wish Jordan was pitching. Game be over.

118. SCNatsFan - May 29, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Somewhere a certain member of this board just cringed as ALR continues to get hot

119. JaneB - May 29, 2013 at 12:39 AM

I love that the Mets had Mo throw out the first pitch. Very classy.I love ALRs dinger better.

120. baseballswami - May 29, 2013 at 12:40 AM

The people in red are making some noise!!!

121. Secret wasian man - May 29, 2013 at 12:40 AM

National league opponent Id say YAHHH HOOOO but the Os can score. Cmon guys

122. MicheleS - May 29, 2013 at 12:40 AM

I can't believe I got SASSED by a football fan on twitter:The Baseball Show‏@CSNBaseballShow36mWith the Battle of the Beltways in full swing, do we consider the #Nationals and #Orioles matchup to be a marquee rivalry? MicheleS‏@CSNBaseballShow no, it's more about the fans than the Teams. Can't have a rivalry when you play 4 games per year.Missy Hand‏ @CSNBaseballShow What? Since when is a rivalry determined by # of games played? Redskins/Cowboys play twice. Still a rivalryWHAT THE HECK!!! My response was 4 out of 162 WAY different than 2 out of 16

123. David Proctor - May 29, 2013 at 12:40 AM

A lot of good hits there. Even Span's and T-Mo's were hit well.

124. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 29, 2013 at 12:41 AM

That can relax Nate some. Good hitting approach. Swing early.

125. MicheleS - May 29, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Getting Misty in my house with the Drake Hugs…

126. Gonat - May 29, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Strike zone keeps moving.

127. David Proctor - May 29, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Eek, I thought Jones got that one.

128. Gonat - May 29, 2013 at 12:46 AM

This is where Karns needs a grounder right at Lombo

129. jeffwx - May 29, 2013 at 12:47 AM

I wasn't blogging you, Mick.Are you a gloom and doom guy ??Seems your opine was balanced.

130. David Proctor - May 29, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Bad play by Bernadina.

131. Gonat - May 29, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Not sure how LaRoche missed that one.

132. David Proctor - May 29, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Karns hasn't been able to throw his offspeed for a strike.

133. Gonat - May 29, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Let's get that double play!

134. SCNatsFan - May 29, 2013 at 12:50 AM

I swear this team is just unlucky

135. MicheleS - May 29, 2013 at 12:51 AM

My lord.. Karns is sweaty….

136. David Proctor - May 29, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Throw strikes to the pitcher please, Karns.

137. David Proctor - May 29, 2013 at 12:54 AM

It's raining again.

138. David Proctor - May 29, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Good job Karns. Work out of damage. Had some help with Gausman coming up but still.

139. jeffwx - May 29, 2013 at 12:56 AM

throw strikes to the pitcher ?throw strikes by the pitcher…

140. Eric - May 29, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Very impressive demeanor and execution following a tough break (the run scoring on the weird bounce to Shark). Well done so far Karns!

141. Sec. 3, My Natural Sofa - May 29, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Pouring again in Shaw

142. SCNatsFan - May 29, 2013 at 1:00 AM

What to do with Shark if he doesn't start hitting

143. David Proctor - May 29, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Eh, can't fault the guy who has probably never handled a bat before in his career. Poor bunt, but oh well.

144. baseballswami - May 29, 2013 at 1:04 AM

He barreled it up yesterday. Please remember he got injured in the WBC.

145. Gonat - May 29, 2013 at 1:08 AM

What a play by Lombo!

146. JaneB - May 29, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Lombo flashing the glove. They should let Danny keep healing.

147. Gonat - May 29, 2013 at 1:09 AM

baseballswami said… He barreled it up yesterday. Please remember he got injured in the WBC. May 28, 2013 9:04 PM ___________________________Exactly.

148. MicheleS - May 29, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Hmmm.. Lombo.. making the most of his chances

149. David Proctor - May 29, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Karns has been very impressive.

150. jeffwx - May 29, 2013 at 1:12 AM

another small cell barreling up I95…should be wet again about 20 mins thanks Davey, can't wait for Espinosa to come backnice play lombo

151. ehay2k - May 29, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Don't worry about the rain – I shook the weather map on my phone and the rain slid east to Waldorf.

152. David Proctor - May 29, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Gausman seems to have settled in.

153. Gonat - May 29, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Look at that inning! What a difference. This kid needs to sit by Jordan Zimmermann and sponge off of him. They have a similar repertoire with the 4-seam, slider and occasional changeup. I'd like to see Karns throw some more sliders.

154. Knoxville Nat - May 29, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Late to the party tonight. How did that old and somewhat limited ALR manage to hit a home run in the first inning? I thought the all knowing poster said he was hurting this team?

155. jeffwx - May 29, 2013 at 1:17 AM

nice trick ehay…not sure why i went to wx schoolshouldn't last long in any case

156. SCNatsFan - May 29, 2013 at 1:18 AM

He got injured in the WBC but this is not the place to rehab. I like the Shark but we need guys who do the job, I hope he comes around.Three weak ground outs on 6 pitches, not a good inning there. Have to keep the pedal down on this guy.

157. Gonat - May 29, 2013 at 1:24 AM

SCNatsFan said… He got injured in the WBC but this is not the place to rehab. I like the Shark but we need guys who do the job, I hope he comes around.__________________________________That was suggested here about 6 weeks ago. I guess Rizzo doesn't care what anyone thinks here.

158. Gonat - May 29, 2013 at 1:24 AM

MASN with the camera shots of idiot Orioles fans standing and clapping.

159. do1teach1 - May 29, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Telecast Guidance for Tonight's Nats-O's Game on MASNTo all Broadcasters:In the the interest of MASN's corporate image, please comply with the following script for all games in this series.We know there are a hundred comparisons you would like to make (O's announcers would like to compare Machado to R. Zimmerman; Nats announcers would like to compare Ted Lerner to Peter Angelos.) But the rule for these broadcasts is "make nice, and don't make any comparisons you would naturally make if this game were being played by any two teams EXCEPT Baltimore and Washington.")Also be sure to:- Compliment the other team's players to a degree you never do on other broadcasts- Do not air any criticism of a lack of hustle or lack of ability by an opposing team member- Make lots of overly deferential and fawning references to the other team's broadcasters ("103 games without an error…Hall of Famer…etc.")- Do not make any comments about attendance in Washington this season, as it compares with Baltimore.- Do NOT make any comments about bad choices the teams have made in the draft, especially as compared with good choices made by another team involved in tonight's telecast–especially if said decisions were in the SAME draft!Please tape one phrase to your console as you broadcast the game: "Keep it bland and corporate."Thank you,Peter Angelos

160. Gonat - May 29, 2013 at 1:27 AM

Karns just officially surpassed the outing turned in by 2012 Syracuse ace Zach Duke.

161. David Proctor - May 29, 2013 at 1:28 AM

God this O's team can hit. So annoying.

162. Knoxville Nat - May 29, 2013 at 1:28 AM

163. SCNatsFan - May 29, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Gonat Rizzo still isn't taking my calls but I'm sure he puts a lot of weight on my emailed suggestions

164. David Proctor - May 29, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Unlike Duke, Karns has kept us in this game. And he'll probably go 5 innings.

165. SCNatsFan - May 29, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Now lets light up their AA guy. Show some stones and jump right back on them. Enough excuses.

166. Secret wasian man - May 29, 2013 at 1:32 AM

3 0 lead is already gone. 3 in the first and then nothing. Man this team stinks. So does this pitcher. 9–4 os will win again. Its just killing me.

167. David Proctor - May 29, 2013 at 1:33 AM

This is Karns first major league start. He doesn't stink.

168. Secret wasian man - May 29, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Oh the ump stinks also.

169. Secret wasian man - May 29, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Your right. He looks great. Bump Strasburgs next start. How stupid of me.

170. Secret wasian man - May 29, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Why are we swinging so early in the count.

171. David Proctor - May 29, 2013 at 1:35 AM

You've got to be trolling.

172. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 29, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Have hitters decided to take the rest of the night off.We cant seem to have 3 or 4 innings in a game. We are lucky to have 1.Karns staked to a 3 run lead just couldn' t appreciate it.

173. David Proctor - May 29, 2013 at 1:36 AM

T-MO! He has been heating up.

174. Gonat - May 29, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Yah, send TyMo back to Syracuse. LOL

175. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 29, 2013 at 1:36 AM

TyMo must of heard me. sorry Ty

176. jeffwx - May 29, 2013 at 1:36 AM

TYMO!!!

177. Knoxville Nat - May 29, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Wasian, Why are posting here anyway?

178. jeffwx - May 29, 2013 at 1:37 AM

yepppppp 5 game hitting streak now

179. Eric - May 29, 2013 at 1:37 AM

swm dipping in 3…2…1…

180. MicheleS - May 29, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Nice by Tyler!!!! Way to go Kid!

181. David Proctor - May 29, 2013 at 1:38 AM

SHARK!!!!

182. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 29, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Shark heard me to.

183. Gonat - May 29, 2013 at 1:38 AM

and while you're at it, send Bernadina back. LOL

184. Knoxville Nat - May 29, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Shark attack!

185. jeffwx - May 29, 2013 at 1:38 AM

yikes…looks like bernadina is healed

186. Eric - May 29, 2013 at 1:38 AM

YES. Shark!!! TyMo!!!

187. Secret wasian man - May 29, 2013 at 1:38 AM

That a way boys. great hit. Fellow posters I am frustrated. Being a DC Guy close to Bmore I have to put up with a LOT of crap. I get very frustrated. Ill try to keep it positive. CMON NATS. SHARKKKKKKKKKK

188. JaneB - May 29, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Tyler and the Shark needed this. So did we!

189. mick - May 29, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Yes sir!!!!As far as Karns goes, I want to know why on 1-2 verse Davis he throws a high fast ball? how long does Davey go with Karns this game?

190. MicheleS - May 29, 2013 at 1:39 AM

WAY TO GO SHARK!!!

191. jeffwx - May 29, 2013 at 1:40 AM

if Nate jacks one, he stays

192. mick - May 29, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Does Davey want 5 or 6 out of Karns?

193. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 29, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Zuke 2 for 2

194. Gonat - May 29, 2013 at 1:40 AM

195. David Proctor - May 29, 2013 at 1:41 AM

I think Davey just wants five out of Karns.

196. Secret wasian man - May 29, 2013 at 1:41 AM

I get on Greenbelt metro yesterday and am mobbed with Bmorons. Its tough folks. Just wanna win. Be at Camden tomorrow.

197. Gonat - May 29, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Knoxville Nat said… Gonat, are they " idiot Oriole fans" simply because they were standing and clapping after one of their guys hits a home run? Would you not do the same in Camden Yards if RZ or ALR did the same?__________________________You missed the point clearly. It's that MASN shows Orioles fans on what should be a Nats broadcast. Do you think they will do the same on Wednesday and Thursday and show Nats fans celebrating in Bal'more?

198. jeffwx - May 29, 2013 at 1:41 AM

swing away nate, can't go deep that way

199. mick - May 29, 2013 at 1:42 AM

so Dave, bullpen will be active

200. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 29, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Gonat we know they won't