May 30, 2013, 10:48 PM EDT
|Photo by USA Today|
BALTIMORE — When Danny Espinosa needed a week to rest his wrist after discovering a loose bone chip was causing pain and inflammation, Steve Lombardozzi filled in quite nicely as the Nationals’ starting second baseman.
In five starts from May 24-28, Lombardozzi went 6-for-20 with four RBI, two doubles, and three runs. Washington saw a spark they perhaps hadn’t seen quite yet from Espinosa who holds a .163 average through 40 games.
But despite performing well as a replacement, Lombardozzi was sent back to the bench when Espinosa returned. Manager Davey Johnson said he wants to see how Espinosa fares after resting the hand for a few days and then go from there.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats are in a real pennant race now
- Mets beat Nats 2-1 in epic game capped by Flores walk-off
- Nats' reliever to get second opinion on ailing shoulder
- Catching up with now-Mets pitcher Tyler Clippard
- Mets get Cespedes for big series vs. Nats
- Nats, Mets begin weekend series with first place on the line
- MLB Power Rankings: Hamels, Price, Tulo all get traded
- A formula that could work wonders for Nats
- Nats ride strong pitching to shutout win
- Scherzer on mound as Nats try to take series