Instant analysis: Orioles 9, Nats 6

May 30, 2013, 1:53 AM EDT

USA Today Sports Photos
Ryan Zimmerman rounds the bases on one of his three homers.

Game in a nutshell: On a hot, muggy night inside cozy Camden Yards, you just had a sense the ball might really fly in this game. Boy, did it ever. The Nationals and Orioles combined to club eight home runs, hardly any of them cheapies. Ryan Zimmerman alone hit three of them, but that wasn't enough to lead the Nationals to victory. Despite holding a 6-2 lead in the sixth, Jordan Zimmermann couldn't hold the Baltimore lineup down. He was roughed up in the seventh, ultimately handing the ball over to Tyler Clippard, who only made things worse, serving up an RBI single to Nick Markakis and then a two-run homer to Chris Davis (his second of the night). Just like that, the Nationals trailed 9-6. And a team that has yet to rally from more than two runs down to win a game this season couldn't pull that feat off tonight, ultimately losing one of its most frustrating games of the year.

Hitting highlight: It unfortunately was lost amid the late implosion by the Nationals pitching staff (or explosion by theRead more ยป

1. baseballswami - May 30, 2013 at 1:56 AM

I will bid you all a fond good night before the spewing continues. I loved the way Ryan Zimmerman played on both sides of the ball tonight. Jordan will bounce back. Weird night. Tomorrow is another day.

2. David Proctor - May 30, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Tough one. This is on Zimmermann (and to an extent Davey for keeping him in, but I think Zim has earned Davey's trust in this case). It happens. Let's just be happy that the offense is awakening. Zimmerman had a career day. Shark is back. Zim won't get blown up like this very often.

3. Unknown - May 30, 2013 at 1:56 AM

I've been telling anyone who will listen that Zimmermann's performance this year has been a mirage. People have been saying the Nats have three #1 starters. Ha — maybe Gio is on a good day, but the rest are all stat-padders against bad teams.

4. Nats 128 - May 30, 2013 at 1:57 AM

5. baseballswami - May 30, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Couple of stressful innings and trouble with fastball command. It happens. He is mortal.

6. capitalbeltwaysportsblog.com - May 30, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Nats have to flush this. It's a stupid loss. Fluke. The game was dominated through 6 innings. Tomorrow is another day to handle business.

7. Nats 128 - May 30, 2013 at 1:58 AM

The Trolls are out in force. It's such a shame. They have to rub salt in the wounds.

8. Nats 128 - May 30, 2013 at 2:00 AM

"phil dunton said… This is probably the most humiliating and demoralizing loss the Nationals have suffered since moving to DC. The team will have a difficult time recovering from this debacle." I guess you don't remember that game against the Braves on July 20, 2012 when the Nats blew a 9-0 lead and lost 11-10.What did the Nats do after that game? Best record in all of baseball.

9. capitalbeltwaysportsblog.com - May 30, 2013 at 2:00 AM

Some games are so random there isn't time for it to sink in. The take away is everything but the 7th inning. Overall, the Nats bullpen better figure things out; quick.

10. baseballswami - May 30, 2013 at 2:01 AM

It is a shame to be sure- Jordan's track record and steady rise is no fluke. Even pitchers named Verlander and Kertshaw have rough games. Move on.

11. David Proctor - May 30, 2013 at 2:02 AM

The bullpen wasn't really a problem. Yes, Clippard got beaten up a bit. But he was due. He hadn't allowed a run in the entire month of May! Henry pitched a 1-2-3. I said before the 7th I didn't have a good feeling about JZimm going back out.

12. NatsLady - May 30, 2013 at 2:02 AM

13. SCNatsFan - May 30, 2013 at 2:03 AM

I wish this was a fluke. Still no late inning comebacks by this team this season. Espi continues to struggle. Another late inning heartbreaker. I know it is my fault thinking this team had turned the corner but we are a .500 team. Those who think otherwise are just thinking with their hearts.Going to bed unhappy.

14. Nats 128 - May 30, 2013 at 2:05 AM

NatsLady plenty of good takeaways from this however the Trolls look for anything to complain about.Jordan Zimmermann was left in there to long. Thats on his coaches. 90 degree day. Pull him early.

15. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 30, 2013 at 2:06 AM

The O's never quit. We allowed them back in and they took advantage.Went to the store after Zim's 3rd homer. Get in car and it is 6-6.I was shocked.Istened to Clip's crappy pitching.As I complai normally our hitting against other teams bullpen. Going into tonight .188 tonight 0 for 13.No heart late. 6 k for their bullpen.What on earth happen while I was in the store Zim just lode it? Hasnt done that all season.

16. baseballswami - May 30, 2013 at 2:06 AM

If only Espi hadn't been back in the line up…… Beat, beat, beat- and, Kaboom! Gas on the fire! ;)

17. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 30, 2013 at 2:08 AM

89 pitches too much?

18. Nats 128 - May 30, 2013 at 2:09 AM

Even tho this loss isnt on Espy he didnt make the defensive play early in the game and Jordan had to throw many extra pitches. On top of that he just cant hit and its management that should have put him on the DL. How is it Espys choice. If you have a broken bone get it healthy. The team has options and dont want to use what they should.

19. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 30, 2013 at 2:10 AM

FP says Os bullpen the difference.

20. NatsLady - May 30, 2013 at 2:11 AM

To me, this is more encouraging than a 3-0 loss. That's 15 runs in two days. All that happened here is that a starter was left in a little too long and a reliever (who has been excellent for a month) melted down. I'm sorry, I'm just not feeling the "embarrassment." If the Nats score 6 runs they will win lots and lots of games. (reposting–I understated the runs…!) I think Chad Tracy needs to start hitting, though.

21. DJB - May 30, 2013 at 2:12 AM

We snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. The Orioles regularly snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. I think this season is probably shot, but we have had worse losses. This team does not have heart, so it doesn't really matter. When the pressure is high, you can count on a collapse. It started with us backing into the playoffs, then the choke in the divisional series. Its what defines this team now. I think we need to gather what players have the right attitude and ability, and blow up the rest. Espi should be DFA'd, and Gio, Clippard, Storen, and Mattheus should probably be traded at the end of the year. The team is emotional and immature.

22. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 30, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Davey pretty much places blame on JZim

23. jeffwx - May 30, 2013 at 2:13 AM

We played the 2nd best offense in baseball without our number 2 and 3 hitters…we still score 6.

24. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 30, 2013 at 2:14 AM

We will tomorrow.Just saw Pierce homer, Trout would have that easy.

25. baseballswami - May 30, 2013 at 2:15 AM

It is true that the early miscue cost some pitches. It wasn't the number of pitches, it was the high stress nature of a couple of the innings, 3-0 counts- yes by Jordan, bases loaded. Really, he was not sharp but battled it out up until that point. Holy Toledo those O hitters are good, though. I am so sorry that Ryan's accomplishments went for naught. Three home runs and defensively brilliant. Like his switch was flipped. We scored six with Chad Tracy as DH , folks.

26. NatsLady - May 30, 2013 at 2:15 AM

jeffwx, yeah, a warm-weather team… Seriously… Be happy for Ryan Zimmerman, apparently his power stroke is back.

27. SCNatsFan - May 30, 2013 at 2:16 AM

Lots of good things to see in this loss. Should we lose tomorrow lots of good things to see in the series loss. It's all about the curly W's and we aren't getting them. It's not like braves fans are watching our scoreboard,

28. jeffwx - May 30, 2013 at 2:17 AM

Of course, the game isn't on Espy. I just happen to wonder what justifies him starting. He's still wearing a wrist brace when he is on base. He's still not hitting to major league levels…Personally, in my humble opinion, I don't think he's earned the right to be our everyday 2nd baseman…If he won't go on the DL, then platoon him

29. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 30, 2013 at 2:17 AM

The last 4 innings we went out without a fight.The park same size for both teams why do they keep blaming it.We quit hitting after 5th they didnt quit hitting.

30. baseballswami - May 30, 2013 at 2:17 AM

And Manassas Fan? Typical Davey- of course he blames the player, he never, ever makes bad managerial decisions.

31. Joe Seamhead - May 30, 2013 at 2:18 AM

NatsLady, I'm taking a ton of positives from tonight, especially Ryan Zimmerman's defense. speaking of defense, that was the second time this week that Tyler Moore should've backed off from the center fielder. He's going to get Denard hurt out there. Get back soon Jayson and Bryce. Oh,yeah, the Braves were shut out at home. The Great Uptons were 0-7 between them with 5 K's. Medlin didn't last long. Maybe they should've shut him down last year?

32. jeffwx - May 30, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Agreed NL and Swam on your last post.Will try to be greatful for an amazing performance by the Z with one n.good nite allThe sun will come out tomorrowJeff

33. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 30, 2013 at 2:19 AM

If we would just hit like the O',s I would be quite happy, but we are not hitting like that.

34. NatsLady - May 30, 2013 at 2:20 AM

And… the Toronto bullpen shut out Atlanta. Toronto has no starters, so they went with Johnny Wholestaff, and Atlanta was helpless… (giggle).

35. David Proctor - May 30, 2013 at 2:20 AM

This game WAS on Jordan. Davey admitted he probably should've put Davis on against Clippard, but lefties are hitting under .100 against Clip so it was a good matchup. Davis just won it.

36. NatsLady - May 30, 2013 at 2:21 AM

Medlen got hit in the thigh by a comebacker (contusion). He is expected to make his next start.

37. BigCat - May 30, 2013 at 2:21 AM

Once we get behind, we curl up in the fetal posistion. Its just pitiful to watch. First time Ive really watched the Oriole hitters. They are disciplined and make you throw strikes. Then they lay the wood to it. A far cry from our bunch of flailing banjos. Eck gotta goWhhhyyyyy is Espi playing? Why Davey? He is an empty pair of shoes in the box

38. Nats 128 - May 30, 2013 at 2:21 AM

I feel bad for Lombo. The shots into the dugout and you could tell he was pissed. He didn't deserve to be benched.

39. BigCat - May 30, 2013 at 2:22 AM

That Chris Davis is on something. HGH or something. The game just ain't that easy

40. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 30, 2013 at 2:23 AM

We waste another Braves loss.We just do not have the killer instinct yet this season.Our hitters picked up some, but need to do it every game.

41. mick - May 30, 2013 at 2:24 AM

Clip stunk tonight too. I really believe Davey has no handle on what to do, especially with his bull pen

42. Nats 128 - May 30, 2013 at 2:24 AM

"David Proctor said… This game WAS on Jordan."Did you watch the postgame. He took all the blame. As he said he thought he was getting popouts and they turned into HRs. The outfielders on the corners didnt seem deep enough and TylerMo has to catch that Pierce HR that was a wall scraper.

43. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 30, 2013 at 2:25 AM

Hrod was fine tonight.

44. mick - May 30, 2013 at 2:26 AM

from a team morale standpoint, being 500 heading into Atlanta could be demoralizing

45. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 30, 2013 at 2:26 AM

The reason the popups are homers is pitch location

46. Secret wasian man - May 30, 2013 at 2:26 AM

bad loss. Davey should have pulled Jzimm after 6. More upset over the disgusting treatment my family and I received walking out in the 7th. My 17 year old son had a 25 year old Bmore punk get in his face and start giving him crap. Then twisted up his shirt and smacked him on the legs. I tried to walk away but was pissed so I did get the cops.

47. mick - May 30, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Wasian man , i am so sorry to hear that…I bet the guy was typical Dundalk trash

48. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 30, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Jim Johnson blew 4 of last 5 save opportunities and our hitters looked like wet noodles against him.

49. Nats 128 - May 30, 2013 at 2:28 AM

SWM, sorry to hear you were harrassed. They are almost like Philthie fans.

50. Secret wasian man - May 30, 2013 at 2:28 AM

I live 35 mins from Camden and about 75 mins from DC. I will never go back to that horrid place again. They are full of hate for anybody and anything about DC. I feel more comfortable in PHILLY. Awful evening.

51. EmDash - May 30, 2013 at 2:29 AM

Yes, trade everyone. Always a sure route to improvement.That was discouraging. But, you know, the offense is looking better. Zimm was probably left in a few batters too long, but he's been so reliable so far and the bullpen got used so much yesterday that that I understand giving him a chance to pitch out of it. Using a fly-ball guy like Clip was questionable, but he's also been the most reliable reliever. And it's not like they had Mattheus available to sinker his way out of the inning. It was just a day where the pitchers didn't have their best command against one of the best offenses in baseball, in a park where the ball was flying out constantly. Even Zimm is going to have an off day sometimes.As to whether he's ever faced a "good" offense this season – you remember that he beat the Tigers, right? They're also one of the best hitting teams around.

52. Secret wasian man - May 30, 2013 at 2:30 AM

53. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 30, 2013 at 2:31 AM

Obviously we hate losing to the O's as we have to listen their crap.Wish players understood hardship losing to Os causes to their fans (for that matter add Braves and Phillies)

54. Secret wasian man - May 30, 2013 at 2:32 AM

If Nats up 6 2 against a National league team we win that. Be glad when thiss beltway crap is over.

55. mick - May 30, 2013 at 2:32 AM

A 3 HR night byZim wasted…that is what really SUCKS!

56. BigCat - May 30, 2013 at 2:33 AM

i'm gonna say it again…….Why the F is Espi playing? He is killing us. Give the job to Lombo and cut bait with him. He is not a ML hitter. Good bye….good riddance!

57. Secret wasian man - May 30, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Thanks everybody for the support. Lets go Nats.

58. Nats 128 - May 30, 2013 at 2:33 AM

"Secret wasian man said… Thanks Nats 128. Even though I complain about Nats a lot. I would rather lose every game as a Nats fan then have anything to do with BMORE."That is a true statement. I feel the same way.

59. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 30, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Which Nats hitting team shows tomorrow first 5 innings or last 4

60. NatsLady - May 30, 2013 at 2:35 AM

Look at Detroit, y'know, the other WS favorite. A couple of weeks ago they were walking away with the AL Central, big yawn. Now their lead is down to 1.5 games and Cleveland is breathing down their necks. Boston just lost 2 to the Fillies, who looked old and error-prone when they were here. The Yanks lost three straight to the Mets, yes, THOSE Mets. The Fish may not win another ballgame…

61. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 30, 2013 at 2:35 AM

Eck will fix Espi.

62. mick - May 30, 2013 at 2:35 AM

Secret wasian man said…If Nats up 6 2 against a National league team we win that. Be glad when this beltway crap is over.actually, 1 more tomorrow night…. Nats CAN NOT BE 500 going into Atlantaand it is so true, BaltiMORONS Suck, they disgrace the national Anthem with their stupid O! and they treat opposing fans like dirt. Angelos is a still a jackass and I despise him as much as anyone!

63. EmDash - May 30, 2013 at 2:36 AM

I also don't see any reason to accuse Davis of being on something. He could just be on a hot streak so far this season; it's likely he'll regress over time like Upton has and just be a very good player rather than the superman be currently is.

64. mick - May 30, 2013 at 2:36 AM

Nats lady… I fear we may not win another ball game for a while

65. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 30, 2013 at 2:37 AM

I look at the Cards who hit and pitch. That how I wish we would approach the game.

66. Eric - May 30, 2013 at 2:37 AM

Uuuuuuuuuugh.I left the Yards after the 7th an listened on the way home. Once the game ending I spent half the rest if the ride cussing and the other half laughing in disbelief.Still, LOTS of positives in this one, especially from the FoF. Good on ya RZim!!

67. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 30, 2013 at 2:37 AM

BTW Tigers and Idians were tied last Wednesday.

68. Bob Saget Nats Fan 101 - May 30, 2013 at 2:38 AM

I am sorry about that wasian. No one deserves to be treated like that. Heck, i bet Yankee fans dont treat the O's fans in NY like. I used to be a O's fan in the early 2000's. Around 2003, I lost interest. i was 12 at the time. When the Nats came to DC, I became a fan of baseball but of the Nats.Wasian, when I went to O's park, I never once saw fans acting like the person you described. I know us Nats fans dont treat the visiting teams fans like that at nats park.Zimmermann is human. Chris Davis is not human. With the spark of the offense this past week with out Harper or Werth, I take that as a sign of good things to come. Now we need Espi to sign and give jeff kobernus a start in his place

69. NatsLady - May 30, 2013 at 2:38 AM

Sorry about your evening, swm, that is bad. I only went to Camden Yards once and had a terrible experience, but not as rough as that.

70. NatsNutty - May 30, 2013 at 2:38 AM

The Fillies can tie the Nats for second place after their respective games tomorrow night! How bad is THAT news?!?!?! Yes, things CAN get worse!

71. Gonat - May 30, 2013 at 2:38 AM

Moore, Tracy, Suzuki and Espinosa went a combined 1-16 when everyone was hitting the ball hard and they combined for 6 K's which was more than the entire O's team.Not a big problem with Suzuki, he looked gassed but Moore and Espi cost the Nats on both offense and defense and still don't know why Chad "Stares" Tracy still has a job.

72. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 30, 2013 at 2:39 AM

Mick i never fear that. i assume we will to start every game.Why bother to have a team if I assuned tgey would lose.That is pointless. I assume every game is winnable.

73. mick - May 30, 2013 at 2:40 AM

NatsNutty.. I think Nats will be fighting for 4th place with the Mets by July and Nats park will not be drawing the great crowds that have come out so far

74. NatsLady - May 30, 2013 at 2:41 AM

mick, you're nuts, seriously–we have the Mets and the Twins coming up. Despite the Mets beating the Yanks, you know they are a bad team, and so are the Twins–the Twins have NO pitching and only a couple of hitters.

75. NatsLady - May 30, 2013 at 2:42 AM

NatsNutty, the Fillies could have tied us when they were here. Relax, they aren't a good team either, especially on the days when Clif Lee isn't pitching.

76. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 30, 2013 at 2:42 AM

Mick i complain, but I refuse to be a pessamist, so much more fun thinking we will ne in first by all star time.Try it.

77. mick - May 30, 2013 at 2:42 AM

Manassas Nats' Fanafter tonight, i have no confidence in this teamI will still watch every game looking for positives in 2014 and the draft

78. Gonat - May 30, 2013 at 2:43 AM

Mick is your typical fan that complains when you are losing any time you aren't in 1st Place just like he did last year. That's a FRONT RUNNER. A real shame.

79. ILuvNats! - May 30, 2013 at 2:43 AM

You bet. We love the Nats! They're working hard getting into their groove, and getting better every game. Shake it off and come back again tomorrow. Nighty night.

80. mick - May 30, 2013 at 2:44 AM

Manassas Nats' FanJ Zim tonight, is something I never would have imagined. I really thought the game was over a 6-2This was our #1 verse a #4 pitcher

81. mick - May 30, 2013 at 2:44 AM

Gonatso not true!

82. paul brandt - May 30, 2013 at 2:45 AM

I know why Kobernus was brought up but am stumped why the guy has not seen the field more than an inning in LF. He can play 2b and clearly espi is a black hole…if no intention of playing him, option him back! its not helping the guy hitting in the a/c batting cage next to the diamond club or am i wrong? would love to see his speed in the line-up too.

83. mick - May 30, 2013 at 2:46 AM

Natslady… that sounds good in theory, but we had the Cubs at Nats park, remember?

84. NatsNutty - May 30, 2013 at 2:46 AM

Hey mick. I'm a STH and I sure hope I don't find myself sitting alone, once again, in Section 310 like the "bad-old-days" of 2008-2010!

85. Gonat - May 30, 2013 at 2:47 AM

mick, you would complain all the time until the Nats went on the run last year. Then you became a model citizen. You blamed it on the beer. Now you are back to that guy. Just enjoy how good this team is and suggest ways you think it can improve.Perfection in baseball rarely exists. It's a game of failures and tonight is one of them. THe sliver lining is the Nats 1-5 had hot bats tonight.

86. mick - May 30, 2013 at 2:48 AM

NatsNutty LOL

87. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 30, 2013 at 2:48 AM

As I said at first pitch every game we will win. We lose some, i am shocked when they lose. i assume next game they will win again.That how i watch every game.We do lack heart once we get to the other team's bull pen as we have worse average against bullpens in the majors

88. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 30, 2013 at 2:49 AM

Problem Gonats wen you are not in first, you must not give away games like tonight.

89. Nats 128 - May 30, 2013 at 2:50 AM

mick, I do my share of complaining however not nearly as bad as you. Start with the glass half full. Marlins fans have a right to complain. We have it great compared to 15 of the teams in the majors.

90. mick - May 30, 2013 at 2:50 AM

Gonat…the sad thing is, I do not drink anymore… imagine me now if I was still hitting the Coronas, lolThis is more of a bad vibe feeling than anything else.

91. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 30, 2013 at 2:51 AM

Cards like I said have heart. Own 3-2 bottom of 9th, then 3 straight singles to tie it,

92. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 30, 2013 at 2:52 AM

I complain to, but assume until last night we will win.

93. Gonat - May 30, 2013 at 2:53 AM

mick let's just enjoy the good times and discuss what we saw good and bad. Most of my angst is at these guys that have this entitlement like Espinosa. His quotes just boil my blood. He has to have photos of Rizzo.

94. mick - May 30, 2013 at 2:53 AM

speaking of bad vibes… Bryce will probably play less than 100% the rest of the season, i think we all can agree on that. So here is a question, if the Nats are out of it by August, will they be smart and put Bryce on IR the rest of the season?

95. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 30, 2013 at 2:54 AM

I have not been pleased with our hitting of last 3 innings of games all season, but then again I want Eck out of there.Might do no good, but could do no harm.

96. mick - May 30, 2013 at 2:54 AM

Gonat FAIR ENOUGH!

97. NatsNutty - May 30, 2013 at 2:54 AM

Hey mick. It's sooooo lonely sitting in a BIG Section of Nats Park by yourself. However, I'm glad I have my smartphone with me so I can talk to my girlfriend and read some Kindle books, and try not to stand out in the, er, emptiness!

98. Gonat - May 30, 2013 at 2:54 AM

Aaron Crow blows the save and the Cardinals come back.

99. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 30, 2013 at 2:55 AM

Made a mistake Cards in 8th (remember I said my visuon is going. 4Th single 2 more runs.

100. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 30, 2013 at 2:57 AM

I wish I could find hitting each inning, bet 4th or 5th are our best. 7Th 8th and 9th worse as we go.

101. Gonat - May 30, 2013 at 3:00 AM

Wow, Aaron Crow (yah that guy) gave up 4 earned runs in the 8th.

102. EmDash - May 30, 2013 at 3:03 AM

The Nats' problem is probably not heart. It may be hitting approach and/or scouting against relievers. First few innings, most of the guys go up there with a plan now, unlike late April/early May when they seemed generally lost. After that, they seem to just hack. Probably fixable if they can pinpoint the cause.

103. Secret wasian man - May 30, 2013 at 3:03 AM

Considering we only have hitting 1 thru 5 spots 6 runs is darn good. Time to say goodbye to Tracy.

104. Secret wasian man - May 30, 2013 at 3:06 AM

I actually am more excited about the Nats then I have been all year. Zimm hitting ALR…….. I think we win this thing.

105. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 30, 2013 at 3:08 AM

Last year you could have Mujica for basicalky nothing, and he easilt out pitching our bullpen guys.

106. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 30, 2013 at 3:11 AM

If Eck doesnt have a plan against each pitcher he is not completing his task.Hitting still 13th in league.Time to get serious.

107. Eric - May 30, 2013 at 3:17 AM

108. PChuck - May 30, 2013 at 3:18 AM

We would have had a better chance of winning if Kobernus had dh'd or played lf and Moore dh'd and Lombardozzi played 2nd. We needed to score more runs and Tracy and Espinosa in your lineup is not the way to score more runs.Tracy should NEVER start a game and Espinosa was his usual and fully expected awful self.The Orioles constantly move players up and down between the big club and the minors. We are stuck with the same players, regardless of performance. This is terrible team management.

109. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 30, 2013 at 3:19 AM

What do you think Espi's average has to be before he is not the primary 2B?I believe that number is below .200I personally dont want any starter with less than .250 but with this team we are stuck as too many have not done the work needed to be that high.

110. DJB - May 30, 2013 at 3:19 AM

There are positives to be taken from the game. But, overwhelmingly, a loss like this is negative. It's a pattern that has been going on since last fall. They are not clutch. I have my theories. One is that there are a core of players that, while talented, are head cases. I think about Gio's first start in the Divisional series; Storen's meltdown; and Clippard's propensity to give up big hits in high leverage situations. I also think Espi's having a profoundly negative impact on the day-to-day players. Don't you think they know he's costing games, not performing, and is still rewarded? Ultimately, this goes back to Rizzo. Baseball, more than any of the major sports, is mental. I want a team to have the heart of the Cards or the Orioles. I respect that in a person, and in a team as well. I root for thee jersey, but I can't help but feel a lack of respect for players who consistently fail to show heart.

111. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 30, 2013 at 3:22 AM

Dont blame the hitters for the loss tonight. We led 6-2.We should never lose once up by 4 half way through the game NEVER. Personally winning is easy either score. More than the opponent or give up 1 less.Depending on if you are a pitcher or hitter.

112. PChuck - May 30, 2013 at 3:28 AM

113. PChuck - May 30, 2013 at 3:35 AM

>>>I also think Espi's having a profoundly negative impact on the day-to-day players. Don't you think they know he's costing games, not performing, and is still rewarded?I've always thought that.Someone needs to ask Davey Johnson or Mike Rizzo that if they believe Espinosa is going to get better this season, won't he also get better in Syracuse?They seem to be of the mind that being sent down to the minors is some sort of life prison sentence so that once a player is sent down, he can never come back! If he goes to Syracuse and performs well for three weeks or so, you can call him back up. It's not the gulag!

114. tayo - May 30, 2013 at 3:36 AM

One of our aces had a bad game. his first in a looong time and against a good hitting team. Thats all. I do wish our team could capitalize on others teams relievers. Even on good offensive nights against opposing team starters, they just crumble against the opposing teams relievers and the offense is shut down. Also, I am very skeptical/suspicious of something(for lack of a better word and its unsubstantiated) of Chris Davis sudden rise.

115. Iowa Nats Fan - May 30, 2013 at 3:38 AM

Some math to consider: Nats have 109 games left. To hit 90 W, must go 63-46 (.578 clip) Now playing at a .509 clip. 1/3 of recent lineups are bench players. The lineup has some major holes in it. Some (most) are due to injury. Lack of depth on bench and at AAA is being exposed. Is it still mathematically possible to get into playoffs? Yes, but with each frustrating and inexcusable loss, it is going to become more difficult. The current active roster is a cobbled together bandaid that is not nearly talented enough to play at a .578 clip.

116. Unknown - May 30, 2013 at 3:44 AM

117. David Proctor - May 30, 2013 at 3:46 AM

From Kilgore:Nats are 27-26. In '12, they started 14-4 … then went 27-26 over next 53. A hot 3 weeks obscures ills.

118. David Proctor - May 30, 2013 at 3:48 AM

Eric Stultz who we played in San Diego, has 12 strikeouts tonight.

119. DJB - May 30, 2013 at 3:50 AM

Tayo, what you say is true, but why didn't they fight back when they saw Zimm was having a bad night? They got into the bullpen. Instead, they went into a fetal position. There's no getting around the fact that something changed last September. They were either exposed as not being talented, or they choked and haven't recovered. I think the latter more than the former, but it is definitely a combination of both. Also, Bryce's playing style lends instability, and the handling of him by management has been atrocious. I think it was a very wise move to pick up Rizzo's option and see how the season plays out. The Lerners need to get involved.

120. Iowa Nats Fan - May 30, 2013 at 3:52 AM

I guess I personally don't see "a hot three weeks" potential in the current active roster. Last year's club had that potential. And maybe they outplayed their potential. This year's version hasn't yet shown an ability to sustain any sort of winning play for more than 2-3 consecutive games.

121. Unknown - May 30, 2013 at 3:58 AM

That's disgusting. Sounds like you handled it well. Your son should be proud for not engaging with the thugs.

122. tayo - May 30, 2013 at 4:13 AM

DJB, No excuses, but I don't think this was about showing some fight and rallying behind our ace pitcher who was having a bad game. I thinks it was just representative of our inability to hit other teams relievers as some other posters have keyed in to. Also, 1 really bad inning like that is greatly demoralizing and is quite different from if Zimmerman had just been giving up multiple runs from the beginning of the inning. Its very difficult to recover from an inning like that relatively late into the game. The test as to whether they have given up is really tomorrow's game and the subsequent series we play just like after that Atlanta series last year.

123. Laddie Blah Blah - May 30, 2013 at 8:26 AM

"The Orioles constantly move players up and down between the big club and the minors. We are stuck with the same players, regardless of performance. This is terrible team management."Yeah. Don't blame Danny. He does not belong in the MLs. Not to beat a dead horse, but he had 3 Ks last night, and whiffed, each time, on high fast balls that were out of the zone. It's like watching an addict who can't stay away from his habit. The guy never, ever learns. He should not be on any ML roster. Is he engaged to marry Davey's grand daughter? Or Rizzo's niece? Does he have to whiff every single time he comes to the plate, instead of only 3 times out of 4, before he will be sent down?But the biggest takeaway for me was Zim getting his power stroke back. Despite last night, the Nats rotation is superb. The Nats will win most of their games if they score 6 runs. The Os hit some wall scrapers, but Ryan and the Shark put on a real power display. Ryan has always been the key to the Nats offense, and once he gets going he can carry the offense for weeks on end. The Shark is getting hot at just the right time, with Harp hobbled and in need of time to heal. Span continues to get on base. With both ALR and Ryan powering the ball, the Nats will score, even without Harper, Werth, and Ramos.Desi is still in a slump. He will break out of that. Lombo is there to alleviate the problem at 2nd base, and Rendon is available to solve it, any time that either Davey or Rizzo decides they want to alleviate it, or solve it. There are options in the MiL system to improve the bench, as well as relievers who can be brought up to bolster the pen. This team can be a lot better than it is, now. And Henry is starting to look scary good. Way to go, MPHRod.I thought we had a better chance to win Gio's game than we had to win Karp's game against the Os, and I thought we had a better chance to win JZ's game against them than Haren's. This is the perfect time for Haren to pick up JZ. Lord knows JZ has picked up the Nats this season, time and time again. Dan can do it. Let's score 6 for him, and find out.

124. mick - May 30, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Eric said…"after tonight, i have no confidence in this team"So…you're saying you DID have confidence in them before tonight? Its never, ever come across that way…fwiw…meaning I had some hope, but I never would have imagined J Zim blowing a 4 run lead in the 7th inning. That was a blow to the gut as a die hard fan. BTW, Eric, fans do not have to be on the same page with you or any one else. I am sick of people in here calling other people out. I have never once posted a nasty or smart ass comment to a single poster in my 3 years here. I only go after some one if thy attack me first.

125. mick - May 30, 2013 at 11:05 AM

126. mick - May 30, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Eric… its never come across that way, really?…have you read all of my posts since the season?? watch what you post pal

127. mick - May 30, 2013 at 11:10 AM

The other thing many of you a-holes in here you do, is when you go after someone, you act as if they they are the ONLY so called negative poster. How cowardly

128. mick - May 30, 2013 at 11:11 AM

129. Eric - May 30, 2013 at 12:50 PM

"That was a blow to the gut as a die hard fan."Yes, yes it was. Especially being there in person and hearing the Os fans acting like it was game 7 of the World freakin Series! ;)"BTW, Eric, fans do not have to be on the same page with you or any one else."Agreed."watch what you post pal"::: chuckle :::mick, I meant no disrespect, I just don't recall you ever posting anything that conveyed hope they'll get better this year. I don't understand why you take that as a slight, but I apologize for having offended you.

130. Eric - May 30, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Oh, and I apologize if I've missed or forgotten posts where you DID convey hope that they'll improve this year.

131. biggoose - May 30, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I grew up in Boston so I know a little how real fans react to poor play. Espinosa would be booed out of the park. His misplay of a double play ball (and was not given an error) set the tone. His only hit was another error that didn't leave the infield and was given a hit on a bad throw that he would have been out. 3ks. A disgrace with his replacement hitting .270 in his last 10 games with 8 rbi's and great fielding sitting on the bench. Go figure. But the cowardly DC media afraid to ask Davey a question about it.

132. mick - May 30, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Eric….thank you

133. Eric - May 30, 2013 at 2:27 PM

You're welcome, mick. I never mean to offend and rarely intend to rile. Last night truly was not the latter.