May 30, 2013, 1:53 AM EST
USA Today Sports Photos
Ryan Zimmerman rounds the bases on one of his three homers.
Game in a nutshell: On a hot, muggy night inside cozy Camden Yards, you just had a sense the ball might really fly in this game. Boy, did it ever. The Nationals and Orioles combined to club eight home runs, hardly any of them cheapies. Ryan Zimmerman alone hit three of them, but that wasn't enough to lead the Nationals to victory. Despite holding a 6-2 lead in the sixth, Jordan Zimmermann couldn't hold the Baltimore lineup down. He was roughed up in the seventh, ultimately handing the ball over to Tyler Clippard, who only made things worse, serving up an RBI single to Nick Markakis and then a two-run homer to Chris Davis (his second of the night). Just like that, the Nationals trailed 9-6. And a team that has yet to rally from more than two runs down to win a game this season couldn't pull that feat off tonight, ultimately losing one of its most frustrating games of the year.
Hitting highlight: It unfortunately was lost amid the late implosion by the Nationals pitching staff (or explosion by theRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Phillies may target Cabrera to replace Rollins
- USO tour was "life-changing" for Nats' Fister
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats