Game 55: Nats at Braves

May 31, 2013, 8:01 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Stephen Strasburg faces the Braves tonight at Turner Field.

ATLANTA — Hello from Turner Field, where tonight the Nationals and Braves open what has to be considered a very important series for the visiting club. Yes, the calendar is only about to shift to June, and far greater deficits have been overcome, but psychologically you have to think the Nats need to come out of the weekend at least winning two of three from the team that at the moment leads them by 5 1/2 games in the NL East.

The bad news: Neither Bryce Harper nor Jayson Werth is in the lineup, despite varying degrees of hope for each outfielder. And the only change made my Davey Johnson from last night is a swap of left fielders, with Steve Lombardozzi in and Tyler Moore back on the bench.

The good news: Stephen Strasburg is on the mound, and he's been on a roll, allowing only one earned run in each of his last three starts, averaging 7 2/3 innings and only 4.33 hits per outing.

Plenty of updates to come, so please check back…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at BALTIMORE ORIOLES
Where: Turner Field
Gametime: 7:35 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 186
Weather: Partly cloudy, 84 degrees, Wind 8 mph out to LF

CF Denard Span
LF Steve Lombardozzi
1B Adam LaRoche

1. Exposremains - May 31, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Wow big changes. Completely unexpected. I can't wait to have Tracy or Moore pinch hit with the game on the line.

2. REW - May 31, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Pathetic

3. David Proctor - May 31, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Well Davey did say "that's for another day" about the changes.

4. David Proctor - May 31, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Christan Garcia joined the Senators for his rehab assignment. That's a positive.

5. NatsJack in Florida - May 31, 2013 at 8:07 PM

The only thing I can figure is that they are giving Danny these 5 games, 2 at the Birds and 3 in Atlanta to show he's improved. They are not going to subject him to home town booing if he hasn't started hitting in these next 3 games.And believe me, he will hear it.

6. MrsB loves the Nats - May 31, 2013 at 8:09 PM

I wont be surprised if when Werth or Harp come back, Espi will be placed on the DL list…

7. Section 135 - May 31, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Anthony Rendon #1 in AA in OPS. He's stranded in AA so we can watch Tymo flail at that low curve in the dirt and Chad Tracy do that classic spin himself into the ground K he always does. Or Danny swing before the ball is released. Davey's gone senile and Rizzo is already planning his exit. Every top team sends their struggling players down, yet we let them work out their struglles during a pennet race.

8. JD - May 31, 2013 at 8:13 PM

NatsJack, I kind of agree with you. I think the other reason to play Espi is that Davie has probably seen enough of Moore in left field so if Lombo is in left Espi gets a few more games. Once Harper returns and especially if Lombo hits a little it may be curtains for Danny boy.

9. EmDash - May 31, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Not that I don't think the bench needs improving in a big way, but Rendon's not being brought up unless he has a place to start or they start feeling desperate enough. Teams don't generally impede the development of their top prospect by letting him sit on the bench while he should be learning.(Yes, they've done that with Tyler Moore. But he was never exactly a top prospect.)

10. Eric - May 31, 2013 at 8:23 PM

"Every top team sends their struggling players down, yet we let them work out their struglles during a pennet race."Pennant race? Are you talking about last season?

11. Eugene in Oregon - May 31, 2013 at 8:25 PM

For what it's worth, Julio Teheran threw 123 pitches in this last start (career high pitch count).

12. baseballswami - May 31, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Have you been watching the games or just looking at season stats? Moore just had a five game hit streak, has recent RBI and has gone yard. Look at recent games. Same with Lombo. If you just look at ALR average the you would think he is awful. All the regulars were awful in April, the bench players are farther behind– of course they are. Bernadina has found his stroke– but it's recent. You won 't see it if you look at averages unless you are looking at the direction the average us going. It takes forever for thst needle to move. Look at whether or not it is going up or down.

13. NatsLady - May 31, 2013 at 4:34 PM

swami, I don't look at season long averages usually (though I do post them). I like to look at last 7 days, last 14 days, last 30 days. You can do that on Fangraphs.Even if you look at the last 7 days, Tyler Moore is hitting .208. The same as Desi, but you have hope Desi will pull out of it and plus he is a better fielder. :)Work. Gotta go there. Later, folks. Go NATS!http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2013&month=1&season1=2013&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=6885,9219,11579,1904,5422,7244,1433,8347,8259,1327,4220,6421

14. natsfan1a - May 31, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Go, SS! Go, NATS!!No more mixed booth = WoooooooooHoooooooooo! (hope that was worthy of one, Michele)

15. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 31, 2013 at 8:40 PM

So much for changes. TyMo gets benched. Danny gets another start. I'm glad Bryce isn't playing as he needs to be running without pain.

16. Les_in_NC - May 31, 2013 at 8:40 PM

I have to agree with swami, Tymo has been hitting lately so WTF?! Lombardozzi should be playing over Espinosa, higher potential or not.

17. MicheleS - May 31, 2013 at 8:43 PM

1A.. A Very Worthy WOOOO HOOO! Just say NO to the joint broadcasts. Well at least Lombo is getting at bats. NJ.. OH Lord will Espi here it next week if he still is slumping

18. CN - May 31, 2013 at 8:55 PM

I've always been opposed to booing a home player. As long as they are giving effort, then I'm ok with that. This does not mean I don't agree with the decision to play said player. Always irrates me when I'm at a game and fans boo. The last few weeks frustrate the hell out of me too.

19. CN - May 31, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Fans pay the players' salary… I get it.

20. baseballswami - May 31, 2013 at 8:57 PM

I just hate to see a player who was struggling and then puts it together get just those couple of days off that might interrupt progress. Lombo was just getting it down, then sit. He was getting his timing down with Desi. Too much moving around on the field and in the line up!!! It's just so very ADD. No chance to settle in. No chance for the defense to learn to read each other. I am actually glad Bryce is not playing. It is not in him to try to save this season for the rest of the guys. It's on them. Let's try to preserve his career.

21. baseballswami - May 31, 2013 at 8:59 PM

And I also am so glad to see the joint broadcasts go. Do you think we could stage a fan revolt at some point? Use the radio, social media, etc. I would be so up for that!

22. baseballswami - May 31, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Adam on IT soon!!

23. A DC Wonk - May 31, 2013 at 9:01 PM

>Anthony Rendon #1 in AA in OPS. He's stranded in AA….He's played, what, 80 games in his _entire_ minor league career?

24. nats guy - May 31, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Why in the hell is Espinosa even on this team.

25. nats guy - May 31, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Is Mike Rizzo even paying attention to what is going on. The crowds at the games are going to go away. It took so long to get them and now throwing it all away. Maybe the Lerners need to start paying attention to the management of their team. Somebody needs to.

26. A DC Wonk - May 31, 2013 at 9:09 PM

CN said… I've always been opposed to booing a home player. As long as they are giving effort, then I'm ok with that.A hearty "hear hear" for that comment!All we can ask of any human is to try their best. If they are, and not succeeding, what else are they supposed to do? If they act like a jerk, or are lollygagging in the field — that's worthy of booing. But if they are trying hard and failing . . . nobody feels worse about it than they do.

27. bowdenball - May 31, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Do the Rendon whiners know that he's back in the lineup for the first time in a week today and is DHing, presumably because he's still not up for playing any position in the field, let alone one at which he has no experience?Once again: lots of complaints, very few suggestions.

28. Caps Fan - May 31, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Lombo's a utility guy. Utility guys don't get to "settle in." That's just how it works.

29. bowdenball - May 31, 2013 at 9:16 PM

CN said…"Fans pay the players' salary… I get it."Not Espinosa's, at least not really. He makes $500,000 for the 2013 season. The Lerners could pay that with the money under their couch cushions.

30. Joe Seamhead - May 31, 2013 at 9:16 PM

31. Joe Seamhead - May 31, 2013 at 9:19 PM

I won't boo any of our players. They are all trying their best.Swami, you say say Tyler is looking so much better with his recent 5 game hitting streak and one homer. Look at his stats on the link that NatsLady put up for the last 7 days. "Better" is a relative term, but the stats over the last 7, [or worse change the chart to the last 14 days]. Either way, the stats don't back up Tyler as looking good, no matter how you slice,dice and arrange them. And yes, he made a few routine catches, but he really looks like a right handed Duda out there. Look, man, I like the kid, and I think he has been put in a no win situation. You and I will disagree about it, but I think he has shown absolutely no aptitude for playing the outfield at a major league level. He gets terrible reads, runs worse routes, and he's going to get Span hurt if he doesn't defer to Denard on the in between fly balls. Let Span catch them! You want to teach him to be an outfielder? Starting on a ML team is the wrong place to teach him. Give him a year in the minors, after a season of winter ball, and see what you got. Meanwhile, give us Brown or Perez. Everybody has their pet peeves. I hate lousy outfielding.Anyway, GYFNG!!!

32. nats guy - May 31, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Maybe Espinosa s/b a utilty guy at Syracuse or lower. Cannot believe how long his leash is.

33. MrsB loves the Nats - May 31, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Agree 100% Joe S… I've been saying for weeks Tyler needs to go down and develop his skills on offense and defense… He looks absolutely lost at the plate and his OF isn't that good… He reminds me of Morse without the injury history and a lot of upside… It's nothing wrong with going down to the farm(s) and working on things….

34. Rabbit34 - May 31, 2013 at 9:24 PM

I don't feel good about this game either. Biggest mistake is leaving Espinosa in. He is good for 2-3 strikeouts. That's three outs without giving the ball a chance. No Harper, no Werth, the shark is in, Espi, what a bummer. Good luck to SS. Better put up zero's buddy.

35. bowdenball - May 31, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Pretty funny that people have spent the last week, including this thread, demanding the immediate callup of a player who hasn't been healthy enough to play in a week. And still isn't healthy enough to play a position in the field. Says a lot about the amount of thought and research people are putting in before they make those demands.

36. MrsB loves the Nats - May 31, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Espi's D saves him every time… That awesome catch in the 1/2 inning that he jumped on and the double play/ strength of his arm to get Adam Jones last night are prime examples…DJ doesn't want to give up on him and wants to work him back into his 2nd half 2012 performance….

37. David Proctor - May 31, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Fun interview with Adam on Intentional Talk.

38. nats guy - May 31, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Nobody is calling for Rendon. He isn't hurt he had wisdom teeth removed. Let him play in minors for awhile. He can show Espinosa how to hit.

39. MrsB loves the Nats - May 31, 2013 at 9:30 PM

I've not seen too many people call Rendon up… I know a lot (myself included) want to see Kobernus…

40. David Proctor - May 31, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Davey: "Probably out of the question" that Bryce Harper plays this weekend in ATL. DL a possibility.At least it can be backdated.

41. David Proctor - May 31, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Dan Kolko ‏@masnKolko 1mHarper worked out yest. & Davey saw him limping last nt. Knee isn't swollen enough to drain it but "he's not going out there til he's ready"

42. DJB - May 31, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Beginning to worry about Harper's long-term viability. He swings so violently and plays so recklessly. A 20-year-old on the DL is not a good long-term investment. Luckily, he's under team control for a while. If next year is like this, we may need to pull the trigger on a very tough trade and re-stock with bats and arms.

43. David Proctor - May 31, 2013 at 9:50 PM

That is ludicrous. He's under team control until 2019 and you want to trade him in 2014 if he's a little banged up? He's our best player. Thank god some of you people aren't GMs.

44. whatsanattau - May 31, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Bench Danny or trade him. Play Rendon at second in the majors or OF in the minors (AAA). Give the Shark and Tracy more time. Trade HRod now … At max value.

45. CN - May 31, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Interesting that Mark thinks Werth & Harper trading spots on the active roster & DL is a possibility. I would prefer to DL Harper now and play with a full 25 man for the next 3 games. The player called up can always be optioned back to the minors, in 3 days. That has been the most puzzling part of the injuries, holding off until 1 week to put players on the DL, seen it with Werth & Detwiler, and possibly now with Harper.

46. whatsanattau - May 31, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Also … Take 3 in Atlanta.

47. JaneB - May 31, 2013 at 9:57 PM

I kinda thought "that's for another day" meant today, that he wasn't going to start talking change last night. But maybe they mean CHANGE changes, like roster moves. I don't know what to hope for. Except that Stras is lights out and our guys end up with at least one more run than the Braves do.GYFNG!

48. EmDash - May 31, 2013 at 9:58 PM

The DL management is the most frustrating thing about Rizzo's style this season so far for me. Not calling up players because you want to trust established guys to get back to their career norms – questionable, but you can understand the thought process, and trades are tricky this early in the season because everyone's still in the race except the Marlins so that's not a great option either.But this continual playing short because they want to let players "rest" potentially serious injuries for a few days, and letting them play too soon and reinjure themselves…I don't get it, at all. And it just keeps happening.

49. baseballswami - May 31, 2013 at 10:02 PM

I keep thinking something has got to give. And then it doesn't. It's Groundhog Day . Just enough good performances here and there to give you hope and then right back. I have been not just disappointed at the resulrs, but at what looks like a lack of cohesion as a team.I am serious. How are we at .500??? We look worse. Hoping for a good result this weekend. Hoping Werth and Harper heal. Hoping for a magical calendar effect. Hoping and praying they dig deep and overcome.

50. Eric - May 31, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Harper ran full speed into a wall and then repeatedly played hurt and aggravated related injuries multiple times.Why does this cause anyone concerns about his long term viability? It'd be different if it were a recurring structural injury…

51. baseballswami - May 31, 2013 at 10:04 PM

And I agree that injury management has been pretty bad. Playing short way too many games.

52. JD - May 31, 2013 at 10:07 PM

EmDash, Your point is valid but there is another side to this story. Harper is so critical to this team that if you have an injury which the doctors say will heal in 3 – 5 days you don't want to lose him for 15 days. Likewise with Detwiler, the general thought is that whoever starts for him is a big drop off so you hope he only misses 1 start. In fairness I don't think we lost any games because we have been short handed, heck Solano and Kobernus almost never play anyway so I don't know what adding a player from the minors will do.

53. JD - May 31, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Swami, 'looks like a lack of cohesion' – if you look this up in Wikepedia it probably says lack of Werth and Harper.

54. sjm308 - May 31, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Have not posted much as I take these loses much harder than I probably should.Glad to see Lombardozzi back in the #2 spot. Thought it was a natural to put him there & have Moore dh these last 2 games.Glad to see SS on the mound.Even though Sunshine Bobby drives me nuts (not the poster, the actual announcer) I am glad that split announcing crap is over for another year.I am also in the club of not glad how the dl has been handled. We should have 25 men available each game and there have been over 10 games where that is not the case. We could have had a reliever up for Det, it took days to place Werth, and now Harper is still in limbo. OK, that is my negative for this post. Just have to think we will figure this kid out and if we win the first game we can go from there. I am also tired of changing hats on a regular basis. Can't remember the last time I kept the same hat on for more than two or three days. Go Nats!! Start winning 2 of 3 right now!!

55. whatsanattau - May 31, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Isn't the joint broadcast more about not having enough HD trucks & equipment. It's being cheap and having to double up. Nobody wins except Angelo's. ick…

56. NatsLady - May 31, 2013 at 10:36 PM

When Ramos was injured they put him on the DL the next minute. When Zim went down you saw Rendon. It's partly the trickiness of the injury, but also the lack of immediate suitable replacements. You might have seen Corey Brown for Werth, but he was on the DL at the time and also a lefty. Now, if Harper has to go on the DL that is when you will see Corey Brown. So far, I was not that impressed with him, as he made mistakes in the outfield in ST which should not happen, and also major-league pitching is a lot different than AAA, it just is.

57. whatsanattau - May 31, 2013 at 10:37 PM

PS, I still like Carp and I love FP.

58. whatsanattau - May 31, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Brown has a long history of needing an adjustment period at each new level. Now would be the perfect time to find out if he can adjust.

59. DannyEllinosa - May 31, 2013 at 10:44 PM

When I was 7 years old at my first ball game at Connie Mack Stadium, I joined in with the Philly boo birds cuz I didn't know any better. My father chastised me saying "only boo poor sportsmanship." I've never forgotten that and I grew up in Philly. And a big reason I choose to be a Nats fan. That said, my namesake Danny needs a rest. And thanks for the lesson Dad.

60. A DC Wonk - May 31, 2013 at 10:45 PM

JD wrote:In fairness I don't think we lost any games because we have been short handed, heck Solano and Kobernus almost never play anyway so I don't know what adding a player from the minors will do. Ding ding ding – we have a winner.All this grumbling/criticism of lack of a full bench, or against HRod, or Tracy's at bat last night — that's all at the edges.I mean, sheesh — we all know what the real deal is: and that is: other than Zim and ALR, nobody's hitting their way out of a paper bag lately. The Nats as a team are 13th out of 15 NL teams — and on top of that we're missing Harper and Werth. What do we expect?The only solution: that our strong starters hold down the fort until the hitters show up. Until that happens, all the above suggestions aren't going to help a whole lot.

61. blovy8 - May 31, 2013 at 10:49 PM

I was thinking the same thing about playing short a guy this weekend, but if Kobernus has been around this long with only one AB, it probably only matters if someone gets hurt. Apart from Rendon, you're left with only Marerro, Brown, and Perez really. So you'd get maybe a couple more pinch AB for Marrero. I guess that wouldn't hurt, but they probably need an OF more this weekend to caddy for a Moore start.

62. CN - May 31, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Ramos was DL'ed immediately because they needed 2 healthy catchers in case of emergency. With Zimmerman, they did not DL immediately, I believe he sat for two games in NY, where Tracy filled in at 3rd before the team called up Rendon.If the team feels that Harper will not play this weekend, why not call up another player & DL Harper, since it's already been a week? Waiting until Tuesday to swap Harper & Werth does not help the team in ATL. DL'ing Harper today for a Chief, then optioning said Chief on Tuesday when Werth may be ready would provide immediate benefit to the team.

63. Secret wasian man - May 31, 2013 at 10:56 PM

After the 9 3 win and the 6 2 lead at Bmore I really thought the Nats were on there way. Then all heck broke loose. And unlike the blown 10 0 game blown to Atlanta we come back and couldn't hit the ball with a rowboat the next day. It is very disheartening. Gotta get 2 this weekend. That would be 4.5 games out. Anything else and it's a huge hill to climb. Mark uttered the same on 980 today.

64. blovy8 - May 31, 2013 at 10:57 PM

I agree, you're not losing Harper for much longer than the estimate anyway by doing it retroactively. And we know how accurate the medical predictions have tended to be…

65. David Proctor - May 31, 2013 at 11:02 PM

" And unlike the blown 10 0 game blown to Atlanta we come back and couldn't hit the ball with a rowboat the next day."We lost the first game of the doubleheader the next day. :)

66. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 31, 2013 at 11:08 PM

This knee 20 year olds should heal faster than this. Acting like he is my age wich is closer to 90 than 20

67. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 31, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Braves score first and they are 20-3. The Nats 20-5 when they score first.First key of the game.

68. phil dunton - May 31, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Nats killer Brian McCann has not played in previous Nats/Braves games this season.

69. EmDash - May 31, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Bursitis is going to be chronic no matter how old you are, unfortunately.It's true that playing short is less of a factor considering how Davey is managing playing time. It's just that they tend to rush players back if they don't DL them, and that causes problems in the longer term.

70. David Proctor - May 31, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Bursitis can be surgically repaired, but that's something that will be done in the offseason. It's not going to go completely away during the season. It's going to have to be where it's at a tolerable level. It won't be perfect, but it should be better so he's not limping around.

71. phil dunton - May 31, 2013 at 11:29 PM

B.J. Upton has been a big bust for the Braves, hitting just .148. He's the CF Rizzo wanted to sign as a FA but he was too expensive.

72. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 31, 2013 at 11:32 PM

It is not a ligiment injr fron what I understand, it is just pain on the knee? Players have pains all the time. Hiw long until constent pain should be gone?Never heard of player having this?

73. hallwagner - May 31, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Where is FP Santangelo? Vacation or something?

74. MrsB loves the Nats - May 31, 2013 at 11:35 PM

FP will be out until July 4….son graduated…Well let's hope for a win and a good game.Go Nats!!!

75. Just wonderin' - May 31, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Where is FP Santangelo? ===============Extended Spring Training in preparation for taking over at 2B?

76. David Proctor - May 31, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Bursitis is when the bursa sac around the knee swells with fluid. It's common among car accident victims and things like that. Not surprising Harper got it after crashing into that wall.There's really no risk of further damage by playing with it. It's all about pain tolerance. He can be fine for months and then a bad slide can cause it to flare up again. It's not going away this season.

77. hallwagner - May 31, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Ah thank you

78. David Proctor - May 31, 2013 at 11:38 PM

A leadoff triple that was nearly a home run. Not a bad way to start the game, Span.

79. Candide - May 31, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Is it my imagination, or was Upton kinda lollygagging after DSpan's shot?

80. David Proctor - May 31, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Good job Lombo.

81. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 31, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Span triple and lombo SF

82. MicheleS - May 31, 2013 at 11:40 PM

HEY WE GOT A RUN!!!! SWEET

83. Eugene in Oregon - May 31, 2013 at 11:40 PM

MNF @ 7:09 p.m.,Let's hope you're right.

84. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 31, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Candide Upton looked lost for sure.

85. MrsB loves the Nats - May 31, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Productive out… Love me some Span…

86. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 31, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Way to go Lombo. I haven't seen a well executed Sac Fly swing like that in a long time.

87. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 31, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Sweep please.Last 2 K RZim swung at crap. Get out that habit immediately

88. David Proctor - May 31, 2013 at 11:43 PM

I sure hope Stras can make that run stick…

89. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 31, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Laroche swings at the same crap. Thank goodness first two batters swung at strikes.

90. UnkyD - May 31, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Love to see Stras chalk up a quick 1,2,3 1st inning…..

91. David Proctor - May 31, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Ray Knight is awful.

92. Michael J. Hayde - May 31, 2013 at 11:46 PM

MrsB loves the Nats said… FP will be out until July 4….son graduated…PLEASE say you meant to type "June 4." No way can I take Ray Knight for a month +! Oh, he was awful last night… the "When I was playing (or managing) yak-yak was incessant!

93. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 31, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Good play Desi

94. Candide - May 31, 2013 at 11:47 PM

It's June 4

95. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 31, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Squeezing low I see.

96. NatsJack in Florida - May 31, 2013 at 11:48 PM

15 minutes in and Ray Knight is already wearing me out. Probably going to have to switch to Charley and Dave.

97. David Proctor - May 31, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Nice first inning Stras!

98. Candide - May 31, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Not sure Stras has complete command of his fastball tonight.

99. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 31, 2013 at 11:50 PM

11 pitch first inning helped by inducing a dp ball.

100. UnkyD - May 31, 2013 at 11:50 PM

BOOM shakalakalaka….

101. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 31, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Best part of being partially deaf I can tune Ray out.

102. MrsB loves the Nats - May 31, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Nice inning guys… Foot on necks.. More runs please!

103. EmDash - May 31, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Upton hasn't been great defensively so far this season. And BJ's been hitting like Espinosa, despite not being injured so far as they've said. It's odd.

104. Candide - May 31, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Teheran doesn't look Iranian to me…

105. MrsB loves the Nats - May 31, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Sorry… Yes, I meant June 4…

106. EmDash - May 31, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Yeah, Stras's command didn't look quite there that inning. Hopefully that was just his first inning settling in thing.

107. Candide - May 31, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Espinosa gets a seeing-eye hit!And the crowd goes wild!!!

108. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 31, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Seeing eye hits. Not used to that.

109. MicheleS - May 31, 2013 at 11:57 PM

HEY HO.. Danny got a hit.. Thank you Dan Uggla

110. NatsJack in Florida - May 31, 2013 at 11:57 PM

BABE ESPINOSA!

111. MrsB loves the Nats - May 31, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Wow…. Don't leave my man stranded…

112. paul brandt - May 31, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Hope Eck got the ball for Danny.

113. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 31, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Good hustle by Espi at second and Zuk at first

114. CN - May 31, 2013 at 11:59 PM

good hustle by Espi, boo that! FYI,not an Espi-lover or hater. Just a fan of this team.

115. David Proctor - May 31, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Espinosa with a great takeout slide there.

116. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:00 AM

That's nice Danny

117. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Stras swung at the same crap Zim and ALR did.Another shut down inning please.

118. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Danny trying to contribute early…

119. Candide - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Stras still doesn't command the fastball.

120. David Proctor - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Yikes, that was crushed.

121. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Terrible pitch SS…

122. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Fastball in the middle of the plate what do you expect. Had 0-2 count them scrrwed around. Quit screwing around, donr throw in the middle of the plate

123. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:07 AM

That breaking ball great unlike the ones to freeman which were not near the plate.

124. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Is nibbling again.

125. Candide - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Not nibbling… he's all over the place.

126. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Strike one. Pitchers best friend and so far, alluding Stras.

127. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:11 AM

And it's TV muteand Charley and Dave. Much better.

128. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:13 AM

26 pitches that inning 10 balls to 4 batters and 4 strikes average to each batter. Not good.

129. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Get that run back

130. David Proctor - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Uh oh. Stras okay?

131. CN - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:14 AM

crap, stammen's warming up

132. paul brandt - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:14 AM

I didn't think he looked comfortable – SS was wincing, falling off, etc…not good.

133. Steady Eddie - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:15 AM

MNF – Stras wasn't nibbling. He was trying to get a feel for his curve and change up. Which he did by the last two pitches against Uggla.

134. CN - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:15 AM

stras and the ATL not a good combo, remember last yr, when he had heat exhaustion…

135. Candide - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Oh, shit…

136. CN - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:16 AM

they should get Julia Alexandria on NOW, she stood next to the argument the whole time

137. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:17 AM

What the hell is wrong with SS, Zuckerman??? Oh here we go…

138. Another_Sam - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Time to panic!

139. Eric - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:19 AM

What on earth is going on in the dugout?

140. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:19 AM

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

141. CN - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:19 AM

wow, span spent a lot of time on the ground that whole sequence. wonder what the issue w/ stras is? kuntz doesn't seem to be examining anything. blister? muscle? what is it?

142. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:20 AM

First basman not even on the bag. How is that an out?

143. David Proctor - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Span was definitely back. Bad call. As far Stras…I'm scared.

144. paul brandt - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Davey & SS should arm wrestle…why isn't Julie old-town Alexandria reporting on this?? hello?

145. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Julie alexandria do your job.

146. Less Platu - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Stras looked enraged — hoo boy — that clubhouse needs Werth to keep it from going terminally toxic

147. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Please lord…………..

148. MicheleS - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:23 AM

UMM..Okay, I am going to hide in a hole, this can't be good

149. DHamm - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Sideline REPORTER. Useless.

150. Less Platu - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Julie's got to move to another part of the park to stealthily report the drama –

151. Another_Sam - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Julie. Julie. Julie.

152. Less Platu - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Stammen has such good stuff

153. Less Platu - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:25 AM

A wince will get you yanked now?

154. phil dunton - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Kristina Akra would have had the Stras info by now! She was aggressive.

155. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Maybe it is as simple as hot crap in his jock again (wishful thinking)

156. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Nice inning Stammen…

157. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Sometmes I think Stras may be a bit of a drrama queen. Hopefully, this is nothing but I applaud the move.Better safe than sorry.

158. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Julie Julie Julie a song by Bobby Sherman 1970.

159. Another_Sam - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Paging Debbie Taylor.

160. Candide - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:29 AM

phil dunton said… Kristina Akra would have had the Stras info by now! She was aggressive.Gotta figure Julie's been told to hold off until they tell her what she can say. She's not Bob Woodward or Mike Wallace.

161. David Proctor - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:30 AM

In better injury news Jayson Werth smacks a double to center. Has been on-base all three times tonight.

162. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Maybe we should get some signals out of the Braves people instead.

163. paul brandt - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:31 AM

MNF – hope you're right, but seriously, why is old-town there if she is not going to report on something as significant as this??

164. EmDash - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Jesus. Is Atlanta cursed for us? Injuries suffered there so far this season: Ramos (hamstring), Werth (hamstring), Harper (first wall crash), Strasburg (?). This is nuts.

165. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Espn2 reported it already on the O's broadcast

166. phil dunton - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Candide, You are right, I momentarily forgot the Nats like to sugar coat injuries.

167. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Meant MASN2

168. EmDash - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Bos reports Stras had his velocity drop over the game. That's generally bad…

169. DWS - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:34 AM

"At his age" re: AL via Ray,C'mon back JP. And we meant June 4 right?Word on our pitcher would be good.

170. Candide - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Thomas Boswell ‏@ThomasBoswellWP 52sIn 2d, Strasburg FB went 98-97-97-98-98, then dropped to 94-93-94-93-95 as showed teeth 5 or 6 times. Davey/coach'd spot it. May be nothing.Let's hope so.

171. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Threw 2 97 to Uggla last batter.

172. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Mine showed 94-97-94-93-97

173. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Desi… Why do you swing at that garbage….

174. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Julie do your damn job.

175. MicheleS - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:38 AM

In Regards to JULIE.Give her a break, she is a sideline reporter AND SHE IS BEING PAID BY MASN. as stated previously, she is probably be told NOT to say anything, it's not as if Mark, Amanda, or even Adam is sitting down there.AND NO Kristina would not be doing anything differently

176. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Because hitting coach doesnt chew him out when he does.

177. Another_Sam - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Where's Dibble? Suck it up.

178. DWS - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Yeah, must be the velo. Might be a wake up call to the team. Don't depend on your pitching. Interesting conference with Zuk, McCatty and Stephen. Davy might have pulled one of his own.Anythings possible and we'll have to wait for answers no matter how implausible.

179. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Woodward would have it.

180. DHamm - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:41 AM

I don't really blame Julie. It's the whole sideline reporter concept that I dislike. They don't "report" anything of any significance! Perfect case in point!

181. DHamm - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:44 AM

"Official" word? You were right there! MASN. UGH. Useless.I

182. paul brandt - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:44 AM

way to go julie 30 mins after the fact…she could have said the same thing 25 mins ago.

183. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:44 AM

MicheleS, exactly and there is a protocol. She may know but wint say until officially told.

184. phil dunton - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Dibble was entertaining—no sugar coating for him!

185. tayo - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Thinking further about this though, I nowdon't think Davey should have pulled Stras now. If I remember correctly, Stras hasn't done anything like hiding an injury to make Davey not trust Stras assertion that he isn't injured. Tough call nonetheless.

186. Candide - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:46 AM

What MicheleS said.Julie was standing right there when they were talking. She KNOWS what was being discussed. She's not saying because she has strict orders to keep it zipped.

187. David Proctor - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Julie definitely knows, but she doesn't work for us, she works for MASN and by extension for the Nationals. That's why we're only going to get official word. It's not her fault.

188. Candide - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Meanwhile, the Barves are oh-fer-six against Stammen.Just in case anyone was interested…

189. Eric - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Ray Knight is on his game tonight. His commentary on the pitchers and how to approach at bats has been great, IMO.

190. David Proctor - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Well it looks like shoulder not elbow. At the very least that means it's not SUPER serious. It could still be bad of course, but we'll see.

191. David Proctor - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Wow that's poor luck by Espinosa. Can't catch a break.

192. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Dibble was and is an idiot.

193. Eric - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Ugh! Poor Espi.

194. Candide - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Danny finds new ways to impress me every day.

195. paul brandt - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Candide at 8:46pm, assuming you are correct, still, act like you are on top of stuff and say within minutes of SS being pulled that we will let you know as soon as we know but it appears "something is not right with SS." it ain't that hard…doing nothing for 30 minutes is embarrassing but at this point, we are used to it.

196. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:54 AM

At some point Espinosa is going to realize just maybe he wasn't cut out for this at this level.

197. phil dunton - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:56 AM

NatsJack……….Dibble always spoke highly of you.

198. Candide - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Paul Brandt, again, she has NO control over what she says. She's been told exactly what to say, and if she deviates, she'll be looking for a job tomorrow morning. Blame MASN and the Nats.And frankly, I think the sideline "reporter" thing is stupid, too.

199. Secret wasian man - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Why all the injuries? Is it bad luck? Or is something wrong in this town with our trainers, doctors……?

200. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Dibble has never spoken highly of anyone except Rob Dibble.

201. Candide - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:04 AM

If you're a second baseman named Daniel, you suck.

202. David Proctor - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Craig Stammen has been fantastic.

203. Secret wasian man - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Be great to hang on and get this. We sure could use it. Not even angry anymore. Almost feel sorry for the guys.

204. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Stammer is having a very good night… Low pitch count too….

205. EmDash - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:07 AM

How long can Stammen go, do we think? 3-4 has gotta be the limit, right?

206. DWS - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Ray Knight is an idiot. Calling ALR catching up to a fastball "for an ol' fella) did it for me.Sideline, baseline whateverline reporters aren't reporting anything of substance. And Phil….who's Dibble working for? Follow them.

207. paul brandt - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Candide, thanks, I'm not familiar with the whole reporter rules but do have a daughter interested in getting into the business and can't believe they cannot be subjective but I get it…thanks…how dare they point out the deficiencies in their empire…silly! i guess that explains Dibble.

208. Candide - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Freakin' DSpan!Now don't get picked off!

209. Secret wasian man - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Deja vu. LOMBO and SPAN

210. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Lombo is making his case to play more…

211. Secret wasian man - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Dwts I totally disagree. At least Ray calls guys out when they screw up. FP makes excuses for everybody.

212. Candide - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:12 AM

…and they're doing the wave…

213. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Charley and Dave with the TV mute is the only way to go.And I like Ray on the post game, just not for any play by play.

214. Secret wasian man - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:13 AM

As bad as Danny is Lombo could sit on the bench blowing bubbles and make a good case to play more.

215. paul brandt - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:14 AM

ALR with wheels…love it

216. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:15 AM

denard Span the third Nat wutg two triples. Bernie Castro and ChristianGuzman the others.

217. David Proctor - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Dammit Bernie.

218. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Got dammit Roger…

219. EmDash - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Oh, Shark.LaRoche has made a really hilarious number of undermining plays lately. And it keeps somehow working!

220. Secret wasian man - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Ok Roger pretty pathetic . That could cost. With his speed just put it in play.

221. David Proctor - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Source: Stephen Strasburg left tonight's game with a muscular issue in his back, not an arm injuryThat's Kilgore.

222. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Mets sweep the Yankees and then go to Miami where they are down 4-0 after 7 to the Fish.God I love baseball.

223. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:20 AM

When a batter lets a fastball with no movement go the coach needs to ask, WTF were you thinking? If he doesnt he has (The coach needs to go,) as he is not coaching.Why Bernie just let a straight fast ball go with 2 runners in scoring position. Sure not a team play in my opinion.Stammen looking good though.

224. MicheleS - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Dave P.. I hope it's just the back… Lord this team can't take much more… Come on Boys.. June is the time to make some hay!!!BTW.. Stammen.. unsung hero

225. Less Platu - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:21 AM

How long does the Shark take up a roster spot — Corey Brown anyone? The more Bernadina plays, the more evident it is that he will never be a game changing hitter. He struggles — mightily — just to hit a dead red, center cut fast ball. I think we've given him enough chances — let him go and let the young bucks play

226. David Proctor - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:21 AM

All the beat reporters are saying it's a lower back issue now. Muscular.

227. NatsLady - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Need to clone Craig Stammen.

228. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:23 AM

49 pitches 4 innings. Great job Stammen.

229. Less Platu - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Davey will probably pull Stammen here real soon, give the ball to Clip and then Henry and kindly give away another game

230. Candide - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:24 AM

David Proctor said… All the beat reporters are saying it's a lower back issue now. Muscular.Okay, Julie should be coming out shortly.

231. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:24 AM

And just how many guys are "game changing hitters"? What 25 – 30?It's more like 10.

232. David Proctor - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Stammen can't stay in forever. 4 innings is a ton to ask for a long man. Clip and *gulp* Storen is the right move here.

233. phil dunton - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:27 AM

Silver Fox is a member of the Rick Eckstein fan club.

234. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Stammen is done. 49 pitches is enough. Let the guys who are counted on in late innings do their thing. And Espinosa strikes out. What a shock.

235. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:29 AM

If Harper cant pitch hit why is he not on DL. This is poor management.

236. Secret wasian man - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Leave STAMMen in. Did Carp just call Chad RBI man??? Hahahahahaha. Now that's funny stuff.

237. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Actually Silver Fox would be a better hitting coach then Ek, and Eck could be no worse in the boooth

238. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Good move by Davey to pull Stayman. He was over throwing last inning. Great job.

239. Secret wasian man - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:32 AM

Nats jack. You mean like Clipp and Storen?? OK THEN. MALOX anyone??

240. phil dunton - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:33 AM

If it is just a tweak in his back, why is there so much official silence?

241. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Ray and carp both silly. One thinks Eck can coach, other thinks Tracy is an RBI machine.

242. Eric - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:34 AM

243. Secret wasian man - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Used to be an Os fan. They would play somebody at short for hitting until 8 th inning. Then if they had a lead they would put in Mark Ballenger for defense. Maybe would could do that with Lombo and Espi

244. Eric - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:37 AM

phil, do they ever release injury details during the game in which the injury occurs?

245. Candide - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Eric said… The last line in the head and shoulders commercial is "is this how you always record sound?"I've been trying to figure out what he says since the first time I saw that commercial.

246. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:38 AM

OK. With Clip, he HAS to throw strikes NO WALKS!

247. NatsLady - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:38 AM

I see Colbert gave up 12 hits, 7 runs (6 earned) in 5 innings… Against Milwaukee, a team that–talk about underperforming…

248. Candide - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:39 AM

ROFLMAO!!! Julie is the ONLY person who doesn't know what's going on with Strasburg!She should be testifying before a congressional committee!

249. Secret wasian man - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Less platu from 9 24. Hahahaha. I'm with ya.

250. EmDash - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Don't imagine there will be an official announcement until after the game.If they pulled him after 2 innings because of an abundance of caution, I tell ya, his post-game press conference is going to be quite something. He must be thrilled.Oh, Adam.

251. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:41 AM

ALR, you're smarter than that.

252. Candide - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Urgh… this is where it all starts falling apart…

253. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:42 AM

How is that a hit? Official scorer must be drunk

254. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Hit?

255. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Need two more.Found out LaRoches mom official scorer only way that is. Hit.

256. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Clip use your brain.

257. Secret wasian man - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Team always finds a way. Hopefully tonight it's the right way. C'mon c'mon cmon

258. Exposremains - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:50 AM

Clippard's act is getting real old. Does it always have to be an adventure? Full counts, walks.

259. Candide - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:51 AM

Clip looking like Bad Henry.

260. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:51 AM

Clip is a mess….

261. Exposremains - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:51 AM

And the Braves are coming back

262. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:51 AM

Thanks ALR for your total brain fart letting Pena on.Clip quit screwing around.How bad does he have to pitch before a reliever comes in.

263. Exposremains - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:52 AM

I think DJ might snap

264. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Typical Clip. WAY to many friggin pitches and most of them not strikes.

265. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Why does Davey always sends McCatty out way late. Should have been out before Freeman batted.

266. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:53 AM

267. EmDash - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Bad Clip, great. His worst outing of the year was against Atlanta.Is someone else up? Someone should be up.

268. Exposremains - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Not only Braves are great at coming back late but it's a lot worst when you hand it to them.

269. Exposremains - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Just pathetic. Get him out of there. This is awful.

270. ehay2k - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Any pone else think Clip seems to have had control issues his last couple of outings?

271. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Clippard pitched great until Wednesday now he has pitched terrible 2 straight games.

272. waddu eye no - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:57 AM

oy

273. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:58 AM

So much for throwing strikes. Nothing ticks me off than relievers that don't throw strikes. Clip is at the top of the list tied with Henry.

274. SonnyG10 - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Eric said…The last line in the head and shoulders commercial is "is this how you always record sound?"May 31, 2013 9:34 PMEric, is that true? I've been trying to figure out what he said ever since that commercial came out. I even played it over and over on DVR and still couldn't figure it out. Thanks for sharing that!!!

275. Candide - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:00 AM

NatsJack, Henry's ERA right now is 3.57. He's been pretty effective lately. I was hoping Davey would bring him in after Stammen.

276. ehay2k - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:00 AM

That is living dangerously! Way to go Clip.

277. waddu eye no - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:00 AM

phew. didn't think i could hold my breath that long.

278. David Proctor - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:01 AM

How in the world did Clippard get out of that?

279. Candide - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:02 AM

Cunegonde's keeping score here at home. Screaming at the TV, at Clippard, at me. Just went upstairs, saying, "I have to go get a glass of water."Asked her to bring me some Maalox…

280. Secret wasian man - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:02 AM

And the darn Orioles are going to comeback again. Clipp,stinks

281. UnkyD - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:02 AM

Jeezus, Clip! Was all that necessary?

282. Exposremains - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:02 AM

Got out of it with only giving up one run. That's great but that was completely unnecessary.

283. NatsLady - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:02 AM

Sonny, yes, I listened real close a while back, and yeah, that's it. Whew, Clip gonna give me a heart attack! Only 1 run. Come ON guys, get it back!

284. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Pathetic effort.Of course should been 0 runs despites patgetic effort had ALR ust thrown the ball to Clip.Why flip the ball with mitt when the guys was still 3 steps away.

285. Secret wasian man - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:04 AM

No way we can blow this. This team has just had enough. Bullpen has to hold. Don't expect anymore run support

286. NatsLady - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Clip coulda saved a lotta pitches just give the first batter a solo home run…

287. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Candide….check Henry's WHIP.

288. NatsLady - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:05 AM

Mark, try that again. It was not a tie game… Seemed like it, but it wasn't.

289. Secret wasian man - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Zimm dbl play. Oh they do find ways don't they?

290. NatsLady - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:07 AM

And no way was that an "infield single." … Strange for LaRoche to get rattled, and I think Clip maybe did too.

291. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:07 AM

RZim suddenly going back to booooo. 0 for his last 8.Why cant hitters get hot and just stay that way for a while before they get cold?

292. David Proctor - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:09 AM

Time to buckle up for a Drew Storen appearance now…

293. Candide - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:09 AM

NJ – he's been a lot more effective recently. His ERA was well over 5 not long ago. His WHIP has to be coming down. Lately I see Henry and I get flashbacks to Chad Cordero. Scare you to death but get you out of the inning.

294. NatsLady - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:10 AM

Well, it isn't just us. Detroit's turn.Chris Dickerson slams a walk off 3-run HR to right field…Orioles comeback to beat Detroit 7-5

295. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:11 AM

@Nats lady if Clip got rattled then didnt learn from Stras that getting rattled doesn't help. We will do the rattling.That innin died even faster than it started.Storen be serious this game and just get a 1-2-3inning.Batting average against is .330

296. Secret wasian man - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Nats lady most HRs in Bmore should have an asterisks. That's a softball field.

297. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:15 AM

Henry Rodriguez's WHIP is 1.53, the highest of his career.

298. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:15 AM

Desi my boy.

299. Candide - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:15 AM

Remember just a couple of years ago, you held your breath every time a ball was hit to Desi?Seems like forever, doesn't it?

300. NatsLady - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:16 AM

In other news… the Mets are still bad, and Ankiel is hitting .209.

301. ehay2k - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:16 AM

Henry will be on the DL soon. I foresee a WHip injury!

302. Candide - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:17 AM

Thank you, Drew!

303. Exposremains - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:18 AM

and Storen walks some no-name guy in front of Upton. Why don't they just forfeit if they want the Braves to win so bad.

304. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Yep. Walk a guy to get to Justin Upton.But whew! Get the out anyway.

305. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Tucked in my shirt

306. NatsLady - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:19 AM

I don't know exactly if Clip got "rattled," but that so-called infield single did seem to upset his thought process, he shook off Suzuki a bunch and then couldn't seem to get a good grip on the ball. and lost his release point.

307. SonnyG10 - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:19 AM

NatsLady said…Sonny, yes, I listened real close a while back, and yeah, that's it…Thanks for the confirmation, NatsLady. You don't know what a relief that is for me to know. It was driving me nuts.:)

308. Candide - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:21 AM

That jerky arm motion by Guerrin isn't a balk?

309. Secret wasian man - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:22 AM

So i guess an insurance run would be a lot to ask. Be nice though

310. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:22 AM

Assume another infield hit.

311. NatsLady - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:22 AM

Shark with a hustle bunt hit. Boy that was an exact tie.

312. MicheleS - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:22 AM

HA SHARK CHOMP!!!Seriously between the stras drama and major Tornado Drama, I am going to pass out from exhaustion

313. David Proctor - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:25 AM

Rendon is being promoted to Syracuse.

314. MicheleS - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:25 AM

Rendon to AAA per tweeter/beats

315. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:25 AM

Michele tornado?Espi could have us off his case for the night with RBI hit

316. Secret wasian man - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:25 AM

DANNY!!! Somebody please shred the pictures Danny has of Davey and the farm animals.

317. Secret wasian man - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:27 AM

Ray Night just killing the Nats hitters. I love it. Man we can't hit

318. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:28 AM

we don't spel so gud either

319. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:28 AM

But we're tucking it up here again, boss..

320. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:30 AM

Ray hit on the head the number one problem most hitters have especilly Espi. They dont know the strike zone. Close just flick bat for a foul. You dont just look at strike 3 clyeless what to do.He has no approach that makes sense to me.

321. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:32 AM

Never been a big fan of "see the ball, hit the ball" myself.

322. NatsLady - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Holy Jesus, what happened to Suzuki???????

323. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Suzuki…that looks scary.

324. David Proctor - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Oh my god. We can't afford to lose Suzuki too.

325. ehay2k - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Unbelievable! This ballpark is cursed!

326. EmDash - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:36 AM

Why is Suzuki staying in this game?

327. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:36 AM

Sofa….."See ball, hit ball" is exactly what all great hiters do..

328. Candide - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:36 AM

Untuck!

329. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:36 AM

Because he's one tough UNTUCKED SOB, EmDash.

330. waddu eye no - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:36 AM

one down.two to gowhat a wierd game

331. NatsLady - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:37 AM

Thank you, Senor Soriano! Untuck, boys.

332. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:37 AM

Untuck

333. SonnyG10 - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:37 AM

Yippie Yay!!!!! We win!!!

334. MicheleS - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:37 AM

WOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO!!! PPPHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWW!!. OMG.. what a heart attack

335. ehay2k - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:37 AM

Group untuck! (That actually sounds a bit dirty)

336. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:38 AM

Now that was FUN!

337. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:43 AM

If, by "see the ball, hit the ball," Jack, you mean go up with no other plan than that, then no, it is not what all great hitters do.

338. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:47 AM

Curly W… Ovation for Stammen…. And my man Span!Have a good night! See ya later!