Jun 1, 2013, 10:47 PM EST
USA Today Sports Images
Stephen Strasburg departed last night’s game after two innings.
ATLANTA — An MRI of Stephen Strasburg’s back and right side today revealed a Grade 1 strain of the lat muscle, according to the Nationals, who said it’s still too soon to know whether the right-hander will make his next scheduled start.
Strasburg, who was pulled from last night’s start against the Braves after two innings with tightness in his back and side area, flew to Washington today and was examined by team medical director Wiemi Douoguih. For now, the Nationals do not plan to place him on the disabled list, choosing instead to wait a couple of days and see how he feels when he next attempts to throw.
The Nationals have some wiggle room to work with here, because they could push Strasburg’s next start back an extra two days (to June 8 against the Twins) without asking teammates to pitch on short rest. So a decision doesn’t need to be made until Monday or Tuesday at the earliest.
“We’ll see how he feels,” manager Davey Johnson said prior to tonight’s game at Turner Field. “We have that off day [Monday] so we could push him back. If he’s not having any discomfort and it’s not grabbing him, he wouldn’t miss a start. But if it’s bothering him, he’ll probably miss a start and see if that eases up for him and they don’t have to do anything more for that.”
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres