Jun 1, 2013, 10:47 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Stephen Strasburg departed last night’s game after two innings.
ATLANTA — An MRI of Stephen Strasburg’s back and right side today revealed a Grade 1 strain of the lat muscle, according to the Nationals, who said it’s still too soon to know whether the right-hander will make his next scheduled start.
Strasburg, who was pulled from last night’s start against the Braves after two innings with tightness in his back and side area, flew to Washington today and was examined by team medical director Wiemi Douoguih. For now, the Nationals do not plan to place him on the disabled list, choosing instead to wait a couple of days and see how he feels when he next attempts to throw.
The Nationals have some wiggle room to work with here, because they could push Strasburg’s next start back an extra two days (to June 8 against the Twins) without asking teammates to pitch on short rest. So a decision doesn’t need to be made until Monday or Tuesday at the earliest.
“We’ll see how he feels,” manager Davey Johnson said prior to tonight’s game at Turner Field. “We have that off day [Monday] so we could push him back. If he’s not having any discomfort and it’s not grabbing him, he wouldn’t miss a start. But if it’s bothering him, he’ll probably miss a start and see if that eases up for him and they don’t have to do anything more for that.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?