Jun 1, 2013, 10:47 PM EST
USA Today Sports Images
Stephen Strasburg departed last night’s game after two innings.
ATLANTA — An MRI of Stephen Strasburg’s back and right side today revealed a Grade 1 strain of the lat muscle, according to the Nationals, who said it’s still too soon to know whether the right-hander will make his next scheduled start.
Strasburg, who was pulled from last night’s start against the Braves after two innings with tightness in his back and side area, flew to Washington today and was examined by team medical director Wiemi Douoguih. For now, the Nationals do not plan to place him on the disabled list, choosing instead to wait a couple of days and see how he feels when he next attempts to throw.
The Nationals have some wiggle room to work with here, because they could push Strasburg’s next start back an extra two days (to June 8 against the Twins) without asking teammates to pitch on short rest. So a decision doesn’t need to be made until Monday or Tuesday at the earliest.
“We’ll see how he feels,” manager Davey Johnson said prior to tonight’s game at Turner Field. “We have that off day [Monday] so we could push him back. If he’s not having any discomfort and it’s not grabbing him, he wouldn’t miss a start. But if it’s bothering him, he’ll probably miss a start and see if that eases up for him and they don’t have to do anything more for that.”
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Report: Phillies willing to trade All-Star Dominic Brown
- Long-time Nats nemesis Halladay retires
- La Russa, Cox, Torre elected to Hall of Fame
- Lefties on agenda as Winter Meetings begin
- Granderson, Mets reach $60M, 4-yr deal
- Could Michael Morse return to the National League?
- Nate McLouth gives Nats depth & insurance
- Nats still have things to do at Winter Meetings
- Napoli, Red Sox agree on 2-year, $32M deal
- Nats 1B Adam LaRoche to join USO Holiday Tour