Jun 1, 2013, 4:47 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Anthony Rendon was promoted to Class AAA Syracuse last night.
ATLANTA — The Nationals promoted Anthony Rendon to Class AAA Syracuse late last night and plan to give their top prospect an extended look at second base, the likely final step toward his permanent arrival in the big leagues.
Rendon had appeared in five games at second base for Class AA Harrisburg but still spent the majority of his time at his natural third base position. In Syracuse, though, he'll work extensively with manager Tony Beasley (a former second baseman himself) on mastering the middle infield, which would prepare him for another promotion to Washington to possibly take over as the Nationals' everyday second baseman, according to sources familiar with the organization's plan.
Having received a paltry offensive performance from their second basemen this season — the group's .539 OPS ranks dead-last in MLB — the Nationals could benefit from adding Rendon's bat toRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Diamondbacks at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return
- Span tabs Nats teammate & rival to do ice bucket challenge
- Williams debates keeping streak alive or long term health
- VIDEO: Bryce Harper's hair is on fire and he plays the ukulele
- Asdrubal Cabrera fitting in with Nats in first few weeks since trade
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett will 'probably' retire after this season
- Desmond leads way with 4 RBI in Nationals' 8th straight win
- Strasburg gives Nats 'what the doctor ordered'
- Nationals Stock Watch: Heroes aplenty during memorable week
- Strasburg tames Diamondbacks in 8-1 victory