Jun 1, 2013, 4:47 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Anthony Rendon was promoted to Class AAA Syracuse last night.
ATLANTA — The Nationals promoted Anthony Rendon to Class AAA Syracuse late last night and plan to give their top prospect an extended look at second base, the likely final step toward his permanent arrival in the big leagues.
Rendon had appeared in five games at second base for Class AA Harrisburg but still spent the majority of his time at his natural third base position. In Syracuse, though, he'll work extensively with manager Tony Beasley (a former second baseman himself) on mastering the middle infield, which would prepare him for another promotion to Washington to possibly take over as the Nationals' everyday second baseman, according to sources familiar with the organization's plan.
Having received a paltry offensive performance from their second basemen this season — the group's .539 OPS ranks dead-last in MLB — the Nationals could benefit from adding Rendon's bat toRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmerman leads Nats not with words but example
- Nationals pull ahead late to get much-needed win vs. Cardinals
- Bryce Harper leaves game with 'left glute tightness'
- Zuckerman on criticism of Nationals, Harper's MVP hopes
- Strasburg won't make scheduled start Friday
- Nats add two more relievers as Sept. call-ups
- Pressure's on Scherzer in Cards series finale
- Stock Watch: Bullpen issues haunt the Nats again
- Breaking down an inexplicable loss for the Nats
- Moss' 3-run homer ends it as Cardinals beat Nationals 8-5