Jun 1, 2013, 4:47 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Anthony Rendon was promoted to Class AAA Syracuse last night.
ATLANTA — The Nationals promoted Anthony Rendon to Class AAA Syracuse late last night and plan to give their top prospect an extended look at second base, the likely final step toward his permanent arrival in the big leagues.
Rendon had appeared in five games at second base for Class AA Harrisburg but still spent the majority of his time at his natural third base position. In Syracuse, though, he'll work extensively with manager Tony Beasley (a former second baseman himself) on mastering the middle infield, which would prepare him for another promotion to Washington to possibly take over as the Nationals' everyday second baseman, according to sources familiar with the organization's plan.
Having received a paltry offensive performance from their second basemen this season — the group's .539 OPS ranks dead-last in MLB — the Nationals could benefit from adding Rendon's bat toRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Monday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Monday's early games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter
- LaRoche: Nats unlikely to bring me back in '15
- PHOTO: Nats get hero's welcome at Dulles on Sunday night
- As October looms, Strasburg and Nats are peaking
- Strasburg solves struggles in Miami, Nats win 2-1
- Barrett's role expanding with September surge
- Strasburg starts, but several regulars sit today