Jun 1, 2013, 4:03 AM EST
USA Today Sports Images
Stephen Strasburg was pulled after two innings at Turner Field.
Updated at 12:03 a.m.
ATLANTA — Stephen Strasburg is heading back to Washington to have a strained right oblique muscle examined by team doctors, leaving the Nationals to contemplate placing their ace on the disabled list.
Strasburg was forced to depart Friday night's game against the Braves after only two innings, with lingering tightness in his right lower side, below the ribcage. The right-hander said he had experienced a similar sensation in several previous starts, though it progressively got worse during this abbreviated outing.
"The last few starts, I'd feel it warming up [but] I'd go out there and I wouldn't feel anything," he said. "Tonight, it was more kind of like the reverse. I felt really good in the bullpen. I threw a couple pitches in there, and it started to tighten up. I felt it more and more. Nothing I could do about it. I'm kind of frustrated. You want to give at least seven, eight innings a start."
Strasburg's velocity and results didn't appear to suffer from the injury. His fastball reached 98 mph during the second inning, heRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats sign veteran Heath Bell to minor-league deal
- Report: Phillies may target Cabrera to replace Rollins
- Significant moment No. 10: Roark makes rotation
- USO tour was "life-changing" for Nats' Fister
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park