Game 57: Nats at Braves

Jun 2, 2013, 3:48 PM EST

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats wrap up their series at Turner Field this afternoon.

ATLANTA — Having lost last night's game in frustrating fashion, the Nationals now find themselves in something of a must-win spot this afternoon, desperately needing to take this series and gain ground on the Braves instead of falling to 6 1/2 games back. Which puts some undo pressure on Nate Karns, making only his second career start.

Karns impressed in his debut Tuesday against the Orioles, but he'll need to take it up another notch today against Atlanta, which has had some time to scout the right-hander. The key for Karns: Can he save something in the tank for the second time around the lineup and get through at least five innings?

Paul Maholm starts for the Braves, and he's been great against the Nationals so far this season, giving up two runs and seven hits in 15 2/3 innings. The left-hander will be facing a lineup that today features a 6-7-8 of Tyler Moore, Danny Espinosa and Jhonatan Solano. The rationale for starting Espinosa, despite his struggles: He's traditionally a much better right-handed hitter. The problem: He's hitting .129 from the right side of the plate this year, worse than his .168 average from the left side.

Updates to come, so please check back…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at ATLANTA BRAVES
Where: Turner Field
Gametime: 1:35 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 186
Weather: Chance of storms, 81 degrees, Wind 8 mph out to CF

CF Denard Span
LF Steve Lombardozzi
1B Adam LaRoche

1. mick - Jun 2, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Nats in all likelihood be 28-29 after today, that is why last evening was so bad.

2. mick - Jun 2, 2013 at 3:54 PM

The problems on this team go well beyond the field. Rizzo and Davey can start to turn this around by being honest, in both cases, I doubt either are capable

3. Joe Seamhead - Jun 2, 2013 at 3:55 PM

I really don't like this lineup. Prove me wrong, guys.

4. mick - Jun 2, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Joe, this lineup actually makes sense… no Espi is a good sign, this should have been the line up last nightBTW: Span sucked last night

5. Eric - Jun 2, 2013 at 3:57 PM

By no means do I see this as a sure loss, but I'm not exactly brimming with confidence, either.Really hoping Werth's final rehab game goes well today. It would be very nice on Tuesday to see a line up along the lines of:CF Denard SpanRF Jayson Werth3B Ryan Zimmerman1B Adam LaRocheSS Ian Desmond2B Steve LombardozziLF Roger BernadinaC Kurt SuzukiOr, maybeCF Denard Span2B Steve Lombardozzi3B Ryan Zimmerman1B Adam LaRocheRF Jayson WerthSS Ian DesmondLF Roger BernadinaC Kurt Suzuki

6. Eric - Jun 2, 2013 at 3:58 PM

"no Espi is a good sign"Huh? He's batting 7th.

7. mick - Jun 2, 2013 at 3:59 PM

McCatty should be held accountable for Henry and frankly gang, 2 pitchers with side oblique injuries, what the hell are the trainers and conditioning coaches doing???

8. mick - Jun 2, 2013 at 4:00 PM

my bad Eric

9. Joe Seamhead - Jun 2, 2013 at 4:00 PM

mick, with this lineup I'll drink enough for both of us.

10. mick - Jun 2, 2013 at 4:00 PM

now i am lost

11. Eric - Jun 2, 2013 at 4:00 PM

"BTW: Span sucked last night"Span had a couple of hits that were 1 – 3 feet from being bloop singles. In reality, though, he should be able to carry us every day with two triples. What a bum!؟

12. mick - Jun 2, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Joe…. I may have to join you lol

13. mick - Jun 2, 2013 at 4:02 PM

i will take Moore over shark, always a chance with Tyler , zero chance with shark

14. JayB - Jun 2, 2013 at 4:02 PM

well be be more accurate….Davey's Bad

15. Joe Seamhead - Jun 2, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Good post, Eric @ noon.

16. SCNatsFan - Jun 2, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Go ahead and keep banging your head against the wall Davey, see who wins, you are the wall. Pathetic.

17. SCNatsFan - Jun 2, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Oops you or the wall

18. Eric - Jun 2, 2013 at 4:06 PM

"Go ahead and keep banging your head against the wall Davey, see who wins, you are the wall."I like the typo there…implies that Davey will win. Cosmic Fruedian slip of the dung?

19. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 2, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Win the game and we wim the series. No Proble,.Do what it takes to win, not what it takes to lose.

20. Drew - Jun 2, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Looks like Davey played with Steve Dalkowsi at Elmira in 1963.Maybe he still hears the siren's song — which would explain Henry smashing the boat against the rocks.

21. Scott Margenau - Jun 2, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Espi starting really steams my clams! Espi must have some serious dirt on DJ.

22. sjm308 - Jun 2, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Mick, you need to stop. Span hits two triples the night before and has an o fer the next and you say he sucks. Are you new to baseball? It's 162 games, he can't hit two triples every night. You sound like a fool calling people liars. You don't know them and they certainly don't know you. Be pissed, be upset but stop with the names.

23. Eric - Jun 2, 2013 at 4:10 PM

PS – thanks, Joe.

24. Joe Seamhead - Jun 2, 2013 at 4:10 PM

JayB, I cannot begin to explain an outfield with either Moore, or Lombardozzi it, much less both of them. Steve Lombo can at least play the position pretty close to fundamentally correct, but if you don't have an arm …Tyler?…Just don't run into Denard Span. And surprise us with a couple of RBI's today.

25. Eric - Jun 2, 2013 at 4:12 PM

I like Shark 10x better than Moore in the field and, lately, at the plate.

26. Scott Margenau - Jun 2, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Not vs a lefty Eric

27. Eric - Jun 2, 2013 at 4:22 PM

I think Mark's latest tweet might apply well to Moore v. Shark here:"Rationale for starting ice-cold Espinosa [and maybe Moore] today: He's historically much better vs. LHP."

28. A DC Wonk - Jun 2, 2013 at 4:22 PM

frankly gang, 2 pitchers with side oblique injuries, what the hell are the trainers and conditioning coaches doing??? C'mon Mick. You think a good trainer can stop an entire pitching staff from having injuries? Do you know what it's like to throw 100 pitches in a game, most of which are 93+ mph?FWIW, the Orioles also have two guys out with hamstrings, and two pitchers out with oblique or back sprains. The Mets have _five_ pitchers out with inflammation or tendonitis (plus Santana out with surgery).Perhaps you were spoiled because last year our starters were for the most part injury-free?

29. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 2, 2013 at 4:25 PM

To bad Desi and Roger were not in church with me today. The sermon, when you need to change approach.Candide hit the nail on the head that I trying to hiy.Ian and Roger were playing for bi innings. In the 9th against Kombrall, you play for the little inning. and if you get a big inning so be it.Ian's called 3rd strike, was an elevated fast ball, over the outside or just outside makes almost no difference. Just swing and drive a fly to right Zim scores, LaRoche to third. Then Roger just bunt toward second on a suicide squeeze and we score a second run.Change your approach. Really to not to made no sense.

30. natsfan1a - Jun 2, 2013 at 4:28 PM

A curly w would be swell. Then maybe I could start reading game-related comments again.

31. Another_Sam - Jun 2, 2013 at 4:43 PM

New day. New game. New lineup. I'm a fan and in for a dime in for a dollar. But what's this outfield? Go figure that. I hope they allay all my doubts, tough.BTW there's nothing wrong with the club that a few hits wouldn't cure.

32. ruggeds1000 - Jun 2, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I'll be booing Johnson on Tuesday if he comes out to the mound if he starts Espinosa. We need to send him a message- I doubt if he reads these posts :)

33. Dave - Jun 2, 2013 at 4:46 PM

I'm right there with you, 1a. I've read this far and am already sorry. But I'll subscribe to the comments, and if we win, I might even read them. "Span sucked last night"? Really?Sheesh.

34. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 2, 2013 at 4:48 PM

"Puts undo pressure on Karns"If only he *could* undo some of this, or at least un-give the devil his undue.

35. sjm308 - Jun 2, 2013 at 4:48 PM

natsfan1a – let me know when its safe will ya?Its hard enough going to the instant analysis and the stuff before the game. I can only imagine that Mick's head is exploding during the game and he is not a troll, just an upset fan.I just keep waiting and hoping that we turn this around when everyone gets healthy. I just want to see good solid baseball, we don't have to win them all but to hit, pitch, and catch with professionalism would be welcomed. One thing, if we do turn this around, Seamhead, please don't crow too loudly, we all know you have been behind them since day one. You, Wonk, John C.,Natslady, Eric and countless others have not let those spouting non-facts get away with it. We are not playing well right now and people should not accept that either, but its not like it was even two years ago. We have the pieces, they just have not fit together yet.Go Nats!!

36. sjm308 - Jun 2, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Dave – that one on Span drove me to comment as well. Hard to believe isn't it?

37. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 2, 2013 at 4:50 PM

"We need to send him a message"You do that. Because Davey is famous for giving a phlying philadelphia phork what other people think.

38. NatsLady - Jun 2, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Suzuki will get two full days off. He needs it. The "chance" of storms is 60% according to weather.com. No one would mind a rain out AT ALL. The worst think is game starts and a long delay, though.

39. natsfan1a - Jun 2, 2013 at 4:51 PM

LOL, sec3! Very alliterative today. :-)

40. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 2, 2013 at 4:54 PM

"Then maybe I could start reading game-related comments again."You need to change your approach, 1a. You'd be the first one in here to do so, but what the heck.

41. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 2, 2013 at 4:58 PM

I am ready for a 5-2 win. GYFNG

42. natsfan1a - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:00 PM

I'd take that, MNF.Go, NATE/NATS!!

43. SCNatsFan - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:05 PM

At this point I'd be ok with win by forfeit

44. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Please accept all gifts. Man on third no out get him home.

45. EmDash - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Roger vs. lefties this year: .154/.214/.154, OPS of .368. Career numbers are .246/.305/.327, OPS of .632, which is nearly identical to his career numbers vs. righties.Tyler vs. lefties this year: .083/.150/.139, OPS of .289. Career numbers are .202/.262/.380, OPS of .642, which is actually more than 100 points lower in OPS than his history vs. righties.The conventional wisdom is that righties should face left-handed pitchers, and I suppose that's what Davey's doing. But it doesn't match these actual players' performance, I think.

46. A DC Wonk - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:25 PM

ruggeds1000 said… I'll be booing Johnson on Tuesday if he comes out to the mound if he starts Espinosa.For the umpteenth-and-eleventh time: Both Espi and Lombo have a negative WAR. Replacing one with the other doesn't do a whole lot. (You do remember the other night when Espi saved 1-2 runs in the field, right?)Rendon is being fast tracked — getting sent to AAA the play 2b. Give Rendon a bit more time, then you'll see some changes.

47. NatsLady - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Here you can look at all the Minor League games, to follow Werth and Rendon…Nats Affiliateshttp://www.milb.com/scoreboard/index.jsp?sid=milb&org=120&ymd=20130602

48. A DC Wonk - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Tyler vs. lefties this year: .083/.150/.139, OPS of .289. I wonder, though, how much of that is due to pinch hitting appearances, where he has really stunk. I'd like to see his splits in games where he has started.

49. NatsLady - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:28 PM

EmDash, I've noticed Davey really likes the platoon matchups. Well, we shall see. It's hard to imagine Davey would like another 0-fer from Tyler Moore, but it'll be pretty much moot if Werth comes back. Then you can afford to maybe swap Moore/Owings and or Moore/Marrero and see if there is any difference.

50. A DC Wonk - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:33 PM

sjm wrote:I just keep waiting and hoping that we turn this around when everyone gets healthy.Ding ding ding! We have a winner! ;-)The starting line-up that Davey had in mind, and wanted to use, when he said Series or Bust, has been in place only six times this year. (I.e., a line-up with Werth, Harper, RZim, and Ramos).One thing, if we do turn this around, Seamhead, please don't crow too loudly, we all know you have been behind them since day one. You, Wonk, John C.,Natslady, Eric and countless others have not let those spouting non-facts get away with it.Thanks for the hat tip, 308!

51. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:33 PM

We are winning today…. I have faith… We are winning today…

52. baseballswami - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:33 PM

WAR- what is it good for? All I see is that when Lombo is in the game he makes something happen. 2 sac fly rbi's, making contact, hustling down the line to reach on error, going first to third, smart play. Quantify that. I believe war takes the past into account . I want today's contributions. I love stats, but war is the most hazy of them all. I am going into this game with zero expectations. I want to watch Karns develop, but I will most likely avert my eyes when Espi is up. I sooo want him to shut me up.

53. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Thank goodness the game is on MaSN….

54. EmDash - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Tyler as a starter overall: .169/.217/.312, OPS of .529, which is not so good. Tyler as a pinch-hitter, in 14 plate appearances: .000/.071/.000, OPS of .071, 8 strikeouts. …wow, that's even worse than I thought.

55. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Good hit Lombo….

56. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Tyler Moore is an automatic out… He needs to he sent down to AA as he isn't ready for the majors and has some serious learning to do, for his defense and his plate appearances…

57. A DC Wonk - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:42 PM

baseballswami said… WAR- what is it good for? All I see is that when Lombo is in the game he makes something happen. 2 sac fly rbi's, making contact, hustling down the line to reach on error, going first to third, smart play. Quantify that. I believe war takes the past into account .I hear you. Lombo made great things happens (2 sac fly ribbies — awesome). And I can stand to watch Espi bat (reminds me of a slightly smaller bearded Ankiel).But I sure like the way Espi turns those needed DP's when we're in a close game.All that given — two things:1. Although both have a negative WAR, Lombo's is still better2. WAR is supposed to take most of the above stuff into account. Supposed to. I think. (Not sure about taking an extra base). And, yes, it is fuzzy.I'm looking forward to either Espi breaking out, or Rendon taking his place. I'll bet it'll happen this month.

58. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Knight calls it try to pull one middle out and you will roll it left. Exactly what Zim did. Miidle out drive to right.

59. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:43 PM

The direction to hit is what Eck not is coaching.

60. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:44 PM

So when is Ray Knight gonna be hired as hitting coach???

61. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:44 PM

I'm not sure I like Solano and Karns together….

62. NatsLady - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:45 PM

In games that Tyler Moore has started, he has 97 PAs (90 ABs) 13 hits, 12 RBI, 2 HRs 7 Walks (1 intentional), 35 strikeouts. I'd have to go back and look at each game to find the pitchers. Tyler Moore Startshttp://www.milb.com/scoreboard/index.jsp?sid=milb&org=120&ymd=20130602

63. baseballswami - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Uh-oh. Zimmy…

64. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Rendon struck out his first time up then doubles to the rf corner his second ab.

65. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Well….

66. NatsLady - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Moore has had one multi-hit game, on April 15. And RZ error costs a run already.

67. EmDash - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:46 PM

WAR does take into account baserunning, I believe – going first-to-third, stolen bases, all of that kind of thing. So it's taken into account.Tyler's problem is that other teams have figured out they don't need to throw him any strikes to get him out – give him an offspeed pitch low and outside, and he'll get himself out almost every time. Hopefully he can adjust. But he just doesn't seem to have the batting eye yet to do that. And I don't know that time in the minors will help with that.

68. baseballswami - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Not a very auspicious start.

69. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:46 PM

RZim as usual plenty of time is his enemy. Why not rush everything.Karns then pulls a Stras and lets error bother him.I did predict 5-2. There is 2 for them.

70. EmDash - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Yep, today's gonna be a fun game.

71. baseballswami - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Tell me why we are talking about Tyler when he has not done anything in this game yet?

72. Christopher Cohen - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Personally, I am growing very tired of all the second guessing toward Rizzo and Davey. Nobody knew that Espi would regress the way he has (Certainly, there are many who will claim to have known and that they have been saying it all along. Those people, however, were saying the same thing about Desi before last year, and LaRoche a month ago.) Age and standard player development all suggested that a career year was the most likely outcome for Danny this year. Admittedly, it did not happen and it might be time to move on (Rendon's move to 2B shows that Rizzo is perfectly aware of this). The major problems for this team so far are injuries and a lack of depth. Very little can be done to prevent injuries as they are mostly random occurrences. As for lack of depth, I am so amused by the "ideas" people have for what should have been done. Bottom line, we don't have a starting caliber catcher and corner outfielder to replace the offensive production of Ramos, Harper, or Werth (let alone all three!). But the REALITY is…. you can't convince somebody who is likely to provide that kind of offensive production to sign on to sit behind the reigning ROY and a guy with a $126 contract. Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, this team is fielding a lineup every day that is not capable of consistently competing; but at the same time, if Rizzo or Davey had done almost anything differently (within the realm of what is possible) it would have flied in the face of all logic and would have been likely to screw this team up even more than it already is.

73. NatsLady - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:48 PM

1st inning, Werth drew a walk and eventually scored.

74. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Karns is just serving everything up like in batting practice…. I hate to say that with this line up, DJ has already given the game away….Makes no sense for Solano and Karns to be together…

75. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:49 PM

RZim war bad this inning

76. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Bswami – You don't expect Tyler to do anything in this game beside suck, do you???

77. EmDash - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:50 PM

You can't exactly blame a rookie in his second career game for being rattled, though. That's kind of part of the process.

78. NatsLady - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:51 PM

MrsB, I agree, but Zook looked very tired last night. Besides, I expect Solano caught Karns in AA, didn't he?

79. baseballswami - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:51 PM

I don't know– I thought maybe I would watch the game and see what happens over the course of nine innings.

80. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:52 PM

I thought he was out…..

81. baseballswami - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Nice pitch!!!

82. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Yeah all of a sudden 9 innings today will tell us something different about Tyler but you can keep hope alive on him…NLady – I think so but AA is totally different than the majors…. Yeah I know Zook needed a day off, actually thought what the hell when he started yesterday….

83. EmDash - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:54 PM

If Espinosa was healthy, I'd agree with you Christopher. All of their moves have made some sense, the gambles have just not paid off. But it doesn't make sense to gamble that a guy with his injuries can play in the major leagues. There's not really any way to make sense of that.

84. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:55 PM

I keep thinking of a 10-3 ball game and Nats win….pAnd DE will go 2-4 with a RBI…Book it!

85. NatsLady - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Danny, nice throw! Saved a run right there, people. Karns, good composure.

86. phil dunton - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:55 PM

This is a pathetic baseball team in just about every respect as it heads into the abyss. Worse yet, there is no accountability. Otherwise, Espinosa and Rodriguez would no longer be on the roster. Eckstein would be gone too. I can only conclude that last season must have been a total fluke.

87. baseballswami - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Nothing hurt. Nice recovery. We have see veterans with a worse first inning than that. He is going to be a good one some day– you can see it.

88. baseballswami - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Phil- I am coming around to agreeing with you on Espi, HRod and Eck. Something has to give.

89. phil dunton - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Is Kobernus still on the roster? Why bring him up and not use him? It isn't like we'd miss Danny's big bat!

90. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Adam LaRoche and his blazing speed!!!!!

91. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Davey promises a change and I see the sane stuff. RZim(it is June) throws one away and a young pitchers then is flustered and throws a bad pitch.How is that a change?

92. baseballswami - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Very smart, Desi!!!!

93. Section 135 - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:00 PM

The braves bench is 1000000 times better than ours. Even Juan Francisco who was released is better than every bench player on our team. That's is why they are in first place.

94. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Now Ian bunts last night that would been great.Must have read my rant.

95. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Keep the line moving please.

96. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Phil – Espi does have a lot of potential though… The issue is that he is hurt… This is my beef with the situation, he needs to be DL'd and get it together….GOT DAAMIT DESI, WHY COULDN'T YOU DO THAT SHIT LAST NIGHT!!!!!Oh my Tyler got a base hit….

97. baseballswami - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Who was that player who hit the ball for the RBI?? I can't hear you?

98. Nats106 - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Glad to see Moore hitting like his first name isn't Mary.

99. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:02 PM

We got a run….

100. EmDash - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:02 PM

No other option than Zimm at third because we need his and LaRoche's bats. And I'm going to wager he didn't exactly do that on purpose.

101. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Why no sac bunt?

102. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:03 PM

*snickers*. Moore got a hit… I can't stop laughing…And Danny just swung at ball 4… Just a damn shame…

103. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Christian Garcia starting for Harrisburg today. I've decided to look to the future while gnashing my teeth watching Espinosa and Rodriguez.

104. nats guy - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:04 PM

I sure hope they win. But, they have not come from behind to win once this year. So, hope is trumped by reality. No one is blaming the FO except that its the FO's responsibility to have depth on the bench and in th minors. Hard to watch this bunch. 2006 thru 2010 wasn't as hard because we all knew they were bad from the beginning. They even had more spunk. This bunch is so "dead" on the field. Harper and Werth are badly missed.

105. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Whew… Desi safe…

106. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Time to get a Karns….

107. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Yesssssssssss…. Hahahahahahahah….. Yessssss….

108. NatsLady - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:07 PM

I don't see how Danny's shoulder or his wrist affects his pitch recognition. They should just have him stand and take pitches and tell Eck what it was and whether or not he would have swung or taken. Get one of those things where you press a button and signal.Well, now WE get a break.

109. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Ian should have been on 3rd sac bunt. We got lucky then according to Knight TyMo screwed up and didnt score too, though I am not as sure.

110. EmDash - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:08 PM

They've come back from as much as 2 runs behind, I believe. They just haven't done better than that yet.

111. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Anybody that thinks Cory Brown is a good outfielder should have seen the fly ball to left that he butchered into a 2 base error.

112. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Just like a hearing test NatsLady

113. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Poor base running Moore… Just dumb…

114. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Now they are blaming Jewitt not TyMo.

115. baseballswami - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Ray Knight busting on Trent Jewett!!!!

116. Joe Seamhead - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Not Tyler's fault on that one. Trent Jewitt held him up.

117. NatsLady - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:11 PM

MNF, yes, exactly. He doesn't need blisters on his hands, just somehow work on his eye, maybe he needs contacts.

118. baseballswami - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:11 PM

But can you really blame Tyler for assuming the play does not go our way? Base coach DID stop him.

119. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Trent J is a mess… And that outside pitch better be called for both pitchers…

120. Section 135 - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Ray Knight is a breath of fresh air calling out Jewett and Danny and Eckstein. Maybe the Lerners are listening. So many fixable problems with this team. It starts with knowledge of the strike zone. Without it you should be in the minors.

121. NatsLady - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:12 PM

NJ, I said before I was not impressed with Corey Brown's fielding because he made mistakes in Spring Training–the kind of mistakes that you shouldn't make even in ST. I have not been watching the minor-league games, though, so it could be small sample size.

122. Nats106 - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:12 PM

But it is his fault for starting to walk off like it was out 3. I'd cut him more slack, but isn't he the one who struck out on a wild pitch that went to the backstop and had already walked back to the dugout?

123. baseballswami - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:13 PM

3-2, 2-1 in ten, errors in the beginning of the game. Is this the new NL East??

124. Joe Seamhead - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Well, we got lucky twice, once on Desi getting back, one on the Brave's error. Good hit for Moore. I hope he keeps it up. He'll, I hope he goes 5-5!

125. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Another called 3rd strike with guy on third. Looked like obe to drive to left.Can they not see well enough. That is why I had to quit, but a major leaguer should have good enough eye sight.

126. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Trent has made some horrible calls at 3rd… I miss B Porter so much….

127. baseballswami - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Ray Knight is a self- righteous blowhard. He was not wrong, but he is annoying as heck.

128. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Apologies to Cory Brown. That was Micah Owings in left.

129. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Wow…

130. Joe Seamhead - Jun 2, 2013 at 2:16 PM

So, Jack, would you keep the roster with the "outfielders" that we are playing?

131. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:16 PM

BJ Upton has been worthless until last 2 at bats. Are we the cure for all slumpers?

132. baseballswami - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Oh, so that's how it's going to be?

133. A DC Wonk - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Christopher Cohen said… Personally, I am growing very tired of all the second guessing toward Rizzo and Davey….. The major problems for this team so far are injuries and a lack of depth. Yep. Injuries (as I noted above, our pre-season ideal lineup has been intact only six times this year).Lack of depth are the residual effects of MLB's killing our farm system. Rizzo restocked best he could, but most of the good prospects are either: (a) already on the club; (b) traded away to be competitive (e.g. three prospects for Gio); or (c) not ready yet (Rendon, and other guys with surgeries).It's hard enough to turn a two-time-100+ losing team into a division winner in a fairly short time fram. It's nigh impossible to do that _and_ have good depth in a short time.

134. NatsLady - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:17 PM

NJ, ok then, I'll take it back too on Brown. Werth lined out to RF, and caught a line drive in RF.

135. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Some are annoyed by Knight. I am not one who is.

136. baseballswami - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:18 PM

We are also the cure for struggling pitchers.

137. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:18 PM

There is never a reason to throw fastballs at Bj…. Breaking balls all the way to him….

138. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Brian Goodwin leads off with a triple for Harrisburg.

139. Steady Eddie - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:18 PM

And the "outside" corner the HP ump gave Malholm on the two called strikes to Span were entirely bogus, several inches outside the zone. but as usual, they aren't giving the Nats' pitchers the low strike at the bottom of the zone. I hate this horizontal rectangular zone many of the supposedly traditionalist umps call. And now he calls the exact same pitch that Malholm got a two strikes as a ball to Uggla. While Karns was calm enough to get past it with Uggla, the stupid ump doesn't give his first pitch entirely in the zone to Upton as a strike, and the next pitch gets hit out. This zone is about 65% of normal dimensions for Karns. Give me an electronic zone every time over these arrogant bozos in blue.

140. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Espi's non bunt still annoys me. When you are hitting terrible, you can still do positive things at the plate and simply refuses to try.

141. baseballswami - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:20 PM

To be fair- it's a long way from AA to the Orioles and Braves lineups.

142. Another_Sam - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:21 PM

MrsB — right on. Jewett hasn't got the feel of things over there. Clear in spring training; clear early in the season; and continues.

143. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Come on guys, lets get that run back… We are on our way to a 10-3 game… Lets go!Karns has the stuff but his location is a little off…. I hope he stays up and can work with McCatty…

144. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Christian Garcia only pitched 1 inning. Taylor Jordan in now who was listed as the starter.Hopefully, they were just giving Christian an inning and there isn't any problems.

145. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Julie A is pointless…

146. baseballswami - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Lots of game left.

147. NatsLady - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:25 PM

A. J. Cole finally had a 1-2-3 inning (the 4th).

148. EmDash - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:25 PM

I'd imagine with Garcia's renewed injury struggles they're pushing him to be a starter again less, and this is part of his preparation for more relief work? That'd be my guess, anyway.

149. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:27 PM

You can tell Harrisburg is following the Nats plan. Goodwin triples to lead off the game then Souza and Heald strikeout followed by a pop up. No runs.

150. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Adam is battling… I like it…

151. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Rendon up for the third time. He has terrific pitch recognition and draws a walk after falling behind 1-2.

152. Steady Eddie - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Emdash — while that's not what Rizzo has been saying about Garcia this year, I would hope that everything changes everything, and that they emphasize the immediate need for a solid and proven reliever over the longer term and more speculative project of trying to make Garcia back into a starter.Also, the younger guys on the team should take a lesson from this extended at bat that ALR is having.Would have been a dinger in many parks but the point was he waited until he got his pitch to hit.

153. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:30 PM

I'm sorry… BJ Upton is just ugly…. I swear he looks like Master Splinter from TMNT…

154. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Henry gave BJ confidence again.

155. baseballswami - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:34 PM

But if Rendon arrives here, will it stop his hitting progress? Will he end up losing it and catching the Nats hitting disease?

156. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Okay… Karns needs to calm down…

157. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Karns cant we have an easy inning for once?

158. baseballswami - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Off day tomorrow. Will it be Duke or can we have some Stammen??

159. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Duke….

160. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:37 PM

MASN not much pitch track action. I want to see pitches.

161. baseballswami - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Trial by fire for the kid today. File it in the experience bank. They have hit guys with way more experience than Karns.

162. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Good K….

163. NatsLady - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Kid's got talent. Keith Law is not big on Gattis, thinks he will end up as a bench or platoon player.

164. baseballswami - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Werthquake in Woodbridge!!! A good sign??

165. Steady Eddie - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:39 PM

MNF — per GameDay, the HP ump gave Gattis four strikes, including "Ball" 2 that was fully within the lower inside corner.

166. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Having acess to all games I like the Brewers broadcat and graphics best. They have the track up on the side eah pitch as pitcher is preparing.

167. Section 135 - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Zim is nowhere the player he was. Sad but his contract is brutal. Sentimental contracts are horrible ideas in every sport. And he is rewarding us with him play.

168. baseballswami - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:40 PM

I like Karns. Huge jump in levels, great hitters, no Suzuki, doing ok.

169. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:40 PM

I keep game track on too.

170. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Damn… Wish we could have gotten the DP… But what a great play by Adam!

171. Knoxville Nat - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:41 PM

EmDash,I'm guessing that the Nats wanted Garcia's first inning back to be in a non stressful situation. Hence he pitches the first inning only before the regular starter takes over. Count me as one fan who looks forward to seeing him back with the big club and HRod looking for a job somewhere else.

172. baseballswami - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:42 PM

I don't know about Zim. I think we are going to see these random throws for a while. But overall he has been looking a lot like the player he used to be. Not ready to quit on him.

173. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:42 PM

He is Ok if you ignore the 2 home runs, especiall BJ Upton

174. baseballswami - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:42 PM

That was a strike!!!!!!!!!

175. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:43 PM

What? At least it didnt cost him, but ump is awful.Why does Joe Torre work with these guys to be accurate.

176. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Y'all really think DJ is gonna let hRod go…. Pffftttt… If he didnt last year, he won't this year…

177. Steady Eddie - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:44 PM

I like this kid — tough and pitches out of it. Maybe HP ump is educable, he gave strike 2 against Uggla in pretty much the same place he called a ball against Gattis.Just shows how ridiculous that the strike zone can be so "supply driven" and based so iteratively on how the pitcher is doing batter by batter.

178. baseballswami - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:45 PM

I don't know- I did not think they would dfa Stsirs, Ankiel or Nady.

179. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:46 PM

My son explained that the ump is like Espi and is clueless of the strike zone.

180. baseballswami - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Kid is pretty poised.

181. baseballswami - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Ouch. But so true.

182. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Aghhhh… Ankeil…. That guy is something else…

183. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Desi… You have GOt to swing at that….

184. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:48 PM

That is a hittable ball Ian just lets go.

185. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Take your base and be thankful.

186. baseballswami - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Hey! Espi got on base! And he is actually angry about it! What?

187. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Okay… Solano has got to stop hitting those little squibblers….. Damn. Dude take a pitch…

188. NatsLady - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Ha. Fillies staked Cliff Lee to a seven run lead–like he needs it. The Brewers are really bad right now, I haven't been following, they seemed ok in April.

189. waddu eye no - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Espi should thank maholm for letting him get on base

190. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Espinosa can't possibly think they threw at him on purpose. That would reek of unbridled arrogance.

191. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I like Ray Knight….

192. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Only Espi with his terrible OBP complains about making base.How Redon in the field today. Ready to come yet?

193. Steady Eddie - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Mrs. B — "take a pitch" exactly. Or learn how to foul off a couple (Desi could learn that too). TMo out on two pitches, Onion on one. Guess none of them were paying attention to ALR last inning.

194. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Okay, if the ump isn't gonna call the low pitch that is a clear strike, this mother fugger better not call it for both teams….

195. Steady Eddie - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:54 PM

MNF — Rendon had five chances yesterday with no errors. Four groundouts, one infield single.

196. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Ray Knight says same things I believe, but win now.He ks BJ this time. HROD and he should have K him last 2 at bats.

197. baseballswami - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:56 PM

He can strike people out, that is for sure.

198. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Not to over look this series, as I think we are gonna win today…. But I hope we sweep the Mets….

199. NatsLady - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Jayson Werth 3-run homer. I know it's A-ball but we could sure use that.

200. Steady Eddie - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:58 PM

MNF — today Rendon has two chances — one popout and one groundout, both handled fine.