Jun 2, 2013, 2:25 AM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Gio Gonzalez was dominant over seven innings of 1-run ball.
Game in a nutshell: With Gio Gonzalez and Tim Hudson on the mound, you knew there was a good chance of this turning into a pitchers' duel. The two hurlers didn't disappoint, each allowing only one run on three hits over at least seven innings. The Braves pushed across their run early on a walk, single and RBI groundout. The Nationals countered with an unearned run off Hudson, with Steve Lombardozzi hustling from first to third on Ryan Zimmerman's groundout and then scoring on Ian Desmond's two-out single to center. But it was all pitching after that, with each bullpen ultimately taking over and trying to keep the other club from scoring the go-ahead run. The Nationals had a great chance against Craig Kimbrel in the top of the ninth but squandered it. Fernando Abad came up big in the bottom of the ninth, sending this one to extra innings. But with the Nationals unable to push across a run, Henry Rodriguez surrendered the game-winner in the bottom of the 10th. Rodriguez issued two walks, let Jordan Schafer steal second without drawing a throw and then surrendered the game-winning single to the .145-hitting B.J. Upton. Thus the Nationals fell back to the .500 mark and 5 1/2 games behind Atlanta heading into Sunday's series finale.
Hitting lowlight: It's not often you get a golden opportunity against Kimbrel, so you've got to make the most of it. TheRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Rockies, 8:40 p.m.
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Cliff Lee also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants
- Nats fan sports 'Curly W' beard (PHOTO)
- State of the Nats: 9-game road trip begins Monday
- Resurgent Zimmerman leads Nats' potent lineup
- Werth, Rendon, scouting come together in Nats win