Jun 2, 2013, 8:33 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Paul Maholm held the Nationals to two earned runs over six innings.
Game in a nutshell: After a frustrating, 10-inning loss last night, the Nationals knew they needed to win the series finale to take two of three from the Braves, avoid falling below the .500 mark and 6 1/2 games behind their division rivals. But rookie Nate Karns couldn't complete five innings for the second time in as many starts, and Zach Duke poured more fuel on the fire in relief. The Nationals scored a couple of quick runs off Paul Maholm but then were completely silenced after that and limped their way to an uneventful loss. So, for the first time since April 30, Washington is under .500 (28-29) and now faces a season-high 6 1/2-game deficit to Atlanta.
Hitting lowlight: Just when you think the Nationals lineup might get something going, they revert back into their old habits. DespiteRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 1st place Nationals try to take another in Cincinnati
- Roark, Nats win 4-1, hand Reds seventh-straight loss
- Denard Span leading the way for Nats in July
- Roark, Nats look to bounce back in Game 100 of 2014 season
- The Baseball Show: Should the Nats make a trade? (VIDEO)
- Power Rankings: Which MLB stadium is the best?
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats trending up after big week
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Nationals Stock Watch: Strasburg's road struggles continue
- Aaron Barrett wins patriotic staring contest before Nats-Rockies game