Game 58: Mets at Nats

Jun 4, 2013, 7:33 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

The Nationals are back home at last, needing to get healthy this week against a couple of struggling opponents (the Mets and Twins) and happy to be welcoming back one of their key lineup members and clubhouse presences. Jayson Werth is coming off the disabled list (though the move hasn't officially been announced yet) and is expected to be in the lineup for the first time in a month.

Werth's return will help, but the Nationals will need better offensive production up and down their lineup, trying to escape the MLB basement in on-base percentage. They drew six total walks over their last seven games, a rate that simply cannot be sustained.

Jordan Zimmermann, meanwhile, takes the mound, trying to forget about his rare poor start last week in Baltimore and get back on track against a poor Mets lineup. If he can do that, the right-hander will earn his ninth win of the season in his third attempt.

[UPDATE AT 5:30 P.M. — You've probably heard by now about the flurry of roster moves the Nationals have made, but here they are in condensed form: Jayson Werth has been activated off the DL, Danny Espinosa (wrist) has been placed on the DL, Henry Rodriguez and Zach Duke have been designated for assignment, Anthony Rendon has been recalled from Class AAA Syracuse and left-hander Ian Krol has had his contract purchased from Class AA Harrisburg. Chase Hughes has the full story here, which he'll be updating shortly with quotes from Davey Johnson and Mike Rizzo.]

Updates to come, so please check back…

NEW YORK METS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 183
Weather: Clear, 75 degrees, Wind 5 mph LF to RF

CF Denard Span
RF Jayson Werth
1B Adam LaRoche

1. MicheleS - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Holy moses! Kilgore tweeted that Rendon is at Nats park

2. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Yah, we got it on the other thread. You owe me a virtual beer too.

3. MicheleS - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Wow! Espinosa is gone too. Looks like Hrod is gone

4. Janus - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Wow, Espinosa to the DL then?

5. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… I'm hoping he is on the flight to Reagan National this morning or on the Lerner private jet. It's a no brainer and he can trade places with Kobernus who isn't playing anyway. June 04, 2013 9:31 AM I knew someone from AAA was headed here. Thought it was Corey Brown. Had no idea it was Anthony Rendon.That is a shocker!

6. MicheleS - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Add it to my tab ghost I will happily pay up.

7. Eric - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:42 PM

"Espinosa's locker has disappeared from clubhouse."Wow…

8. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Yep, Henry is gone and so is Espinosa. This is a shocker!

9. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:43 PM

So changes were coming. And a couple of them are here.

10. Eric - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:43 PM

11. natsfan1a - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Wow.

12. David Proctor - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Correct Eric. Although I read one tweet that said Espi is headed to AAA.

13. Candide - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Eric said… I'm assuming lockers aren't removed for a stint on the DL? Unless it's for, like, season-ending surgery?That's what I'm wondering.

14. David Proctor - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Henry has been DFA'd and will be placed on waivers.

15. Candide - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:46 PM

So Zack Duke is still here? Oy.

16. Eric - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:47 PM

"Correct Eric. Although I read one tweet that said Espi is headed to AAA."Right, that's what I'm thinking. I read the news as he's either going down or going under the knife, not going on the 15- or even 60-day DL.

17. David Proctor - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Duke is probably sticking around until we figure out what's going on with Stras and Det. His days are numbered.

18. Eric - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:47 PM

I have to say, in light of this news, I hope Lombo starts at 2B and that Rendon is backup…I know Rendon can hit, but I trust Lombo more in the field and he's been producing well enough lately.

19. David Proctor - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:48 PM

RHP Ian Krol listed in tonight's bullpen. Zach Duke is not.Lombo is starting at 2B.

20. Candide - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Anyone want to bet on the over/under for the number of comments on this post by game time?I'm saying 175.

21. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Actually the only shocker is Rendon is here. The other moves are what I expected.

22. Candide - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:50 PM

The team was saying Rendon would be playing second for a couple of weeks before being brought up. You can't believe anything any more. :-)

23. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Ian Krol is left handed.

24. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Rendon turns 2 dp's last nite and suddenly he's good to go.

25. Section 135 - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Henry gone!! I hope the Braves pick him up and he torments their fans with years of false hope. Haven't been this happy since Slaten was DFA'd.

26. Eric - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:52 PM

I'm calling it now:The Nats will make the World Series some season in the next few years and HRod will shut us down in the bottom of the 9th of a 1-run game 7.It will be our last taste of the Nats' 2013 early season luck.

27. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:52 PM

I am popping a Michelob Ultra right now. Finally! Only disappointment is no Corey Brown but that's a move for another day.Rizzo was lying through his teeth yesterday or the owner of the team chewed some rump roast and got accountability.Ian Kroll on the roster! I called that one too and Peric told me NO WAY will they call him up to the Majors.This is CHANGE and a lot of it. Surprised.

28. blovy8 - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Looks like they'll be going the shuttle route for a while in the bullpen to see who sticks.

29. blovy8 - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:54 PM

At least Rendon has Davey to learn from up here.

30. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:55 PM

NatsJack in Florida said… Rendon turns 2 dp's last nite and suddenly he's good to go.Yah, a little fast to move him up.

31. Pilchard - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:55 PM

No chance that the Nats bring up Rendon to sit on the bench. Not saying Rendon is starting every game, but I would expect Rendon start the vast majority of games at 2nd. Surprised that they dumped Henry, despite his issues. He was the Nats closer about a year ago. Dominant stuff is hard to find.

32. Candide - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Eric – you got your wish. Lombo at second tonight, Rendon on the bench.

33. MicheleS - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Dang. I will be at the game. This is bananas

34. EmDash - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:55 PM

We've finally gotten to the "I'm tired of watching them pitch" stage, it would appear. I suspected when the Bos column came out that big moves were coming – he obviously knew they had Plans.Henry DFA'ed, it sounds like. I assume Duke too? How does it work if (as I imagine will happen) no one claims him? Henry might be picked up by someone like the Astros or Marlins who don't have to worry about competing and can afford to wait on potential.I do root for him to figure it out at some point, though maybe not this year…he always seemed to be trying his hardest, even if I hated to see him enter a game here.

35. Secret wasian man - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Good news. 10 game win streak starts tonight. Gotta get this one for sure.

36. Secret wasian man - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Pilchard. Dominant stuff is hard to find. But when it comes to Henry, so was the plate.

37. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Wow.. DJ said changes were a coming… Most of knew that when he got either Werth or Harp back, some of these moves would happen..MY PRAYERS WERE ANSWERED ON HROD!!!

38. Caps Fan - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:58 PM

"Espinosa's locker has disappeared from clubhouse."He punched it so hard they couldn't remove it from his hand. Had to buy an extra seat for it on the plane to wherever he's going.On the plus side, he can easily hit .130 with a locker on his hand. And since it's considered a piece of equipment, his OBP will go way up thanks to all the HBP.

39. blovy8 - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Dominant stuff gets you nowhere without command of it. Someone else will take a shot on the guy, but it's time to move on and let someone else work on their ulcer.

40. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:59 PM

MicheleS said… Add it to my tab ghost I will happily pay up.Virtual pay up. Liking it. I just want to gloat to Peric.A few weeks ago he told me no way on Kroll that he would be called up from AA and no way for Rendon to play 2nd base.This is a new day in Nats Park. Still not the best 25 but at least 25 Davey can use.

41. Secret wasian man - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Henry and Espi are gone, as they should be. But there's no need to kick these guys when they are down. Lets move forward please.

42. baseballswami - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Wow– a blood bath! Duke and Henry dfa, espi to Aaa, Werth back, Rendon up, kroll in the own. MLB network completely clueless.

43. EmDash - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Also, one would think no Duke means they're reasonably confident at least that Det will be coming back soon, I'd assume? Even if Duke's not a *good* option, someone in that bullpen other than Stammen will have to do long relief at some point. Maybe Karns will be sticking around in that role after all.

44. Caps Fan - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:00 PM

"Rizzo was lying through his teeth yesterday or the owner of the team chewed some rump roast and got accountability."Of course Rizzo wasn't telling the truth about what was about to go down at a public function like that. It's like when a GM gives the manager a vote of confidence and two days later he's fired.

45. David Proctor - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Is Espi to AAA confirmed?

46. baseballswami - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Need to take a breath and remember that things won't magically transform overnight. Werth will need time after single a pitching. Rendon will need to adjust as will Kroll.other guys will be hearing footsteps now. Rizzo always plays things like the CIA.

47. BigCat - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:01 PM

So Werth is back? Wonder if he's bringing his hitting coach from Potomac also

48. blovy8 - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Ok, Espinosa leaving is understandable, but what did his locker do, provoke Mattheus?

49. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:02 PM

EmDash, I don't think they will keep Karns around for long relief. Stammen probably moving into that role in dual roles in the bullpen.

50. EmDash - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:02 PM

No, I haven't seen any definitive comment about where Espinosa's ended up. Think it's all speculation at this point.

51. Eric - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:04 PM

I really hope Espi gets his shoulder fixed and hits the reset button.And, I really hope Desi has Ripken-esque health this year.

52. EmDash - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:04 PM

That's possible. It'd be a shame to save Stammen only for long relief situations, though, with his consistency. Someone has to be the low-leverage longman in the Gorzellanny role, I'd think.

53. blovy8 - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Kind of odd timing for Romero to opt out it seems, given all this.

54. baseballswami - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:04 PM

On twitter they are using the hash tag Rizzo Dark Thirty. Do not play poker with this man.

55. BigCat - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Yes Swami, but a least you have hope that someone will get a hit. Espi was an empty pair of shoes in the box.

56. Gonat - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Ghost, you deserve to gloat. You've been pounding the keyboard for weeks about the needed moves.Great call on Kroll and Rendon to 2nd base! The crowd hadn't been with you until recently but you kept with it. Not saying the players owe you thanks but it's good when someone sticks to what they think is right. Obviously Rizzo agrees with you. [WINK]

57. BigCat - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:06 PM

if Espi had any sense, he's shut it down and have the operation. Going to AAA is not gonna help him. His left hand is not firing thru the ball.

58. Section 135 - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:06 PM

59. natsfan1a - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Seconding this from Em DashI do root for him to figure it out at some point, though maybe not this year…he always seemed to be trying his hardest, even if I hated to see him enter a game here.and this from swm (I've been let go before, although not for poor performance. Not pleasant.)But there's no need to kick these guys when they are down. Lets move forward please.

60. David Proctor - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:07 PM

61. dwb115 - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Krol was originally a starter in the minors so he can probably go multiple innings if needed

62. Section 222 - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Went to a meeting at 3:30 and… Holy Crap!

63. baseballswami - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Big Cat– agreed there is at least hope of a smart at bat. As for espi– perhaps he has been optioned to AAA as a way of encouraging him to have surgery.

64. Candide - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:09 PM

#RizzoDarkThirty (saw yours, swami, but punctuated it to make it easier to find, so I do NOT owe you a drink, beg and plead all you want…)

65. RaleighNat - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Wow…assume Rendon is being given an adjustment day and will become the regular second baseman. He obviously needs to be playing regularly wherever he is.Hope Espi takes this the right way in the long run. Get healthy and then hit the reset button.Praise the lord that Duke is gone…interesting that they gave up on Henry but I'm ok with that.

66. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Section 135 said… The best part is that Riz and Davey actually did what everyone on here was calling for and even more. I guess they were as sick of watching this team as all of us were.Not everyone was calling for this. Last night there were still calling to keep Espinosa.I also believe that Ted Lerner put this in motion. At some point there does need to be accountability. Mr. Lerner eats all these salaries for the DFA'd players and if Rendon stays up he will now qualify for 4 years of arbitration. That's a lot of cash spent today so I believe Mr. Lerner was involved in either a small way or large way.

67. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Span 8, Werth 9, Zimmerman 5, LaRoche 3, Desmond 6, Bernadina 7, Lombardozzi 4, Suzuki 2, Zimmermann 1.

68. baseballswami - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:11 PM

No worries, Candide- I will be breaking into the drinks all on my own tonight. Seriously– Rizzo is scary. We should have known he was working on something that would not leak.

69. Candide - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:11 PM

David Proctor said… Dan Kolko reports Espinosa has been optioned to AAA, Kilgore reports he's on the DL. So…?So they obviously have the same high journalistic standards regarding verifying rumors as the rest of the press did when they initially reported that the Supreme Court had struck down Obamacare.

70. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:11 PM

71. Section 222 - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Can't wait to get to the park tonight and cheer… Rizzo and Davey!

72. BigCat - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Kinda feel bad for Espi. I know he tries so hard. As for Hrod and his not holding anyone on base….adios muchacho!

73. Section 222 - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Rendon here, but not in the lineup. That's ok with me. Let him catch his breath.

74. Don - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Wow! Rendon might be here to stay (playing 2B and some 3B if Zim goes bawkier). Espi's likely going under the knife, I'd guess. HRod gets claimed, I'd bet. The club still needs a Lh reliever, maybe 2. I bet the club responds and scores some runs tonight in bunches. We'll see.

75. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:13 PM

I think Henry getting DFA'd means Garcia is coming next.

76. Candide - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:13 PM

77. Section 222 - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Still no official release on the website, and it's 4:15. This is a long one to write I guess.

78. Caps Fan - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:15 PM

If Lerner was involved with Espi being sent down, it would only have been because Boras probably called him. Espi was basically making league minimum. As for the DFAs of Duke and Rodriguez, together they were making less than $2M. That's chump change to Lerner. He'd want a report on the monthly balance sheet, that's all. He's not going to lose any sleep over Rizzo doing that.

79. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Rendon was on an all nite bus trip from Pawtucket to Scranton after an 11 inning game. Then to DC so I can see him sitting but after tonite, he's playing.

80. natsfan1a - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Comak with some details here.

81. David Proctor - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Espinosa is only on the 15 Day DL.

82. baseballswami - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Hey- Lannan spent the entire year in AAA after being our opening day starter. No one is too good for that . Could be he will get a choice of that or surgery. This is so crazy! I may even have to watch the mid- Atlantic snooze fest!

83. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:16 PM

NatsJack in Florida said… Kolko and Ladson sayng Danny optioned, Kilgore saying to the DL. Rizzo saying Rendon will play 2b. June 04, 2013 4:11 PMA little quick for my liking as I have been saying 2 straight weeks at 2nd. 22 best players are here + Kobernus and TyMo and Tracy w/ Det, Mattheus, Ramos, Harper and Garcia in waiting.

84. Candide - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:17 PM

So say Espi goes under the knife and comes back completely healthy next February, after Rincon (gotta pull that one back out of the fannypack…) has made a good run at Rookie of the Year honors.THEN what?

85. natsfan1a - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:17 PM

He'd tell them, but he'd have to kill them after.Candide said… If Rizzo ever gets tired of baseball, the CIA or NSA should hire him three seconds later. He could be having a massive heart attack and no one would know unless he wanted them to. June 04, 2013 4:13 PM

86. BigCat - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Lets finish the job. Gimme Corey Brown for Shark. Brown up to .287 at Syracuse. .333 last 10 games with 5 bombs. Went 4for 5 last night. Its a no brainer. I love the Shark, but its what have you done for me lately.

87. David Proctor - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:18 PM

It's very odd that a guy on the 15 day DL cleaned out his locker. That is not normal. Something is off.

88. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:18 PM

David Proctor said… Espinosa is only on the 15 Day DL. June 04, 2013 4:15 PM That's good then he can go on assignment in the Minors.

89. Section 222 - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:19 PM

90. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:20 PM

David, Espi takes his stuff with him. He has to take some of it with him and the rest will go in storage.I'm sure they are painting a rosey picture. If Espi rakes in AAA then maybe he will come back.

91. baseballswami - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Now it seems to be officially DL. And after that i think you can spend up to 30 days on rehab?? And then it will be the all star break. Stashing him for a while?

92. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Section 222 said… With Rendon here, NL can breathe easy about a backup 3B if Tracy is the next to go. June 04, 2013 4:19 PM LMAO! Emergency SS is Lombo and Desi now has to be wrapped in bubble wrap as the earliest Espi can return is 14 days from today.

93. BigCat - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Well at least it will be interesting to watch again. They had almost become unwatchable their hitting is so bad.

94. NatsLady - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:22 PM

So much for driving to work. So much for peeps here saying Rizzo would take the easy way out and send Kobernus back. What happened to Kobernus in the shuffle, by the way? The CIA should hire Rizzo, wow, NO LEAKS!!!

95. baseballswami - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:22 PM

I also think the whole locker thing is odd. DL guys are often right there in the dugout. Det has been there every day. I do think they may have optioned him and then said– or it's the DL.

96. EmDash - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:23 PM

The timing on this is interesting. Savvy bit of narrative-setting, I'd say – odds are that the team will start to do a little better anyway due to opponents faced, and so by making moves right beforehand the media story becomes that they've improved due to some gutsy front office moves. Very smart.

97. natsfan1a - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:23 PM

I'm not willing to go to quite that extent but I will be taping the Nats pregame. :-)baseballswami said…This is so crazy! I may even have to watch the mid-Atlantic snooze fest! June 04, 2013 4:15 PM

98. Nats 128 - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:24 PM

GoSM, glad I took your side and not Peric's. That guy has almost never been right. When he was right he jumped up and down and told us in BOLD PRINT.

99. BigCat - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Come on Ghost, Espi ain't gonna be doing any raking anywhere but in his garden

100. Caps Fan - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:26 PM

The 15 day DL is 15 days minimum. He doesn't have to start a rehab assignment at any specific time, only when he's ready to come back. He could be going on the 15 day DL until he has the surgery, at which point he'd go on the 60 day DL. In the interim, he's available after 15 days as insurance in the rare case that a bunch of guys get hurt.

101. baseballswami - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Locker cleaned out makes more sense if he left for surgery. But the DL announcement says wrist.

102. bowdenball - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:29 PM

No reason to move Kobernus at this point, NatsLady. Nobody else is needed.I like all of these moves, and the timing of them as well. Good job by the organization in all respects. I would have liked to see Danny to the DL a little sooner, maybe when the decided Kobernus was ready, but that's splitting hairs.

103. TimDz - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:30 PM

I think Espi ends up "choosing" surgery by the end of this month….

104. David Proctor - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Davey says Espinosa needed to be convinced a little to go on DL. Davey: "I think it needed to be done."Just yesterday Davey was saying Espi was healthy. CIA indeed…

105. BigCat - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:30 PM

This should of happened 2 weeks ago…with Espi I mean. Maybe 3 weeks ago

106. Section 222 - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:31 PM

What Caps Fan said.Rizzo (pleasantly) surprised us all, or most of us. I'm smiling from ear to ear, and not just because I was right about Rendon arriving sooner rather than later.

107. BigCat - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Bet the Shark is walking on egg shells right now

108. David Proctor - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Davey says Stephen Strasburg was feeling a lot better yesterday. Will throw a bullpen tomorrow and be available to possibly start the 9thUh oh…

109. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Big Cat, I'm not an Espi guy but have seen guys get real inspired riding buses and sleeping in Holiday Inn's. I was happy when I moved up to Hiltons in the old days. Never got to Hyatts where the big boys stayed in Chicago and NYC and LA.

110. baseballswami - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Since when do you convince players to go in the DL?? Did Stras choose to stop playing, would any of them really choose it? I was going to ask who is in charge here. But I guess we now know who is.

111. SCNatsFan - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:34 PM

I wanted changes and I got them. Let's hope I'm not sorry for getting what I wanted. Start a nice run tonight guys. Get me off the ledge. My remote cannot take being thrown much more.

112. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Looked like I had the 9th as the day for Stras or a new starter to go and move Gio and Karns up. Bam!

113. David Proctor - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Mark Zuckerman ‏@ZuckermanCSN 39sBest news of day: Tony Tarasco's newborn son, Jack, doing well. Tony is back coaching 1B tonight.

114. baseballswami - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:36 PM

As long as Bernadina can pinch run, bunt and catch a ball in the outfield , as a bench player he will stay as long as he hits occasionally. And he sometimes has power. Probably safe. Tracy?

115. Eric - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Was about to copy in the same tweet re: Tarasco, David. Great to hear!

116. tayo - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:37 PM

This is almost like the last episode of Game of thrones in terms of the stunning turns of events even though these were the right moves to be made.

117. baseballswami - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Bravo for the really important baby news. Truly the best news if the day.

118. Section 222 - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:38 PM

I agree swami. The Shark is safer than Tracy. He's also younger.

119. Depot Master - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:40 PM

OFFICIAL: Nationals reinstate Jayson Werth from the 15-Day Disabled List, recall infielder Anthony Rendon from Triple-A Syracuse and select left-handed pitcher Ian Krol from Double-A Harrisburg. In addition, the Nationals place Danny Espinosa on the 15-Day Disabled List, designate right-handed pitcher Henry Rodriguez and left-handed pitcher Zach Duke for assignment.

120. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Man I love days like this.

121. David Proctor - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Detwiler good to throw off mound in 4 days, could return in 9 days, Davey says. Gio will start Thu vs Mets, Karns will start Friday vs Twins.

122. baseballswami - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Wish I could be a fly on the wall to see how the clubhouse is reacting.b

123. baseballswami - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:43 PM

NatsJack- sometimes all you need is for something to change– anything at all. It was time.

124. PChuck - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Sh!+ just got real!

125. Section 222 - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:44 PM

I'm sure as soon Rendon makes an error at 2B, or has an 0-4 night there will be second guessers here. But the fact is that this team had no chance to win the division with a No. 7 hitter batting below .160. This move had to be made and probably should have been made sooner. Things could happen to make an Espi return to DC necessary, but for now, this is the best option we had. I'm very glad Rizzo took it.As for the pitching staff, it was also untenable to hold on to H-Rod given that he simply could not be counted on to deliver in a pressure situation. And while Duke had not quite reached H-Rod's level of ineptitude, he didn't give us any reason to keep him around. It's nice to have a lefty long man, but not one who almost never is lights out.Anyone know if Krol can go more than an inning at a time?

126. Pilchard - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:45 PM

SS is interesting now. Lombo could play a game or two at SS, but that is about it. So, if at any point in the future Desmond is out for any significant time before Espinosa comes back, the Nats will pick up someone up from another team to play SS. Would not be surprised to see the Nats pick up a Ronnie Cedeno type in the next week as the Nats have no legit back up options at SS right now.

127. David Proctor - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Well twitter said there was a strobe light and techno music playing in the clubhouse. Kurt Suzuki was joking about Rendon's cowboy boots.

128. baseballswami - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:46 PM

My philosophy– sometimes you have to move sideways in order to move forward. Can't just continue to stand still. Deep, right?

129. baseballswami - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Mark's official post is up about all the craziness.

130. Section 222 - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Never trust a word Davey says.

131. PChuck - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:53 PM

>>>SS is interesting now. Lombo could play a game or two at SS, but that is about it. I actually checked to see who'd played SS a few days ago. Lombardozzi has played quite a bit and Kobernus has played a little.I think they'd just need to finish the game in case of injury and then call some one up if the need arose.

132. David Proctor - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Ry Zim on Danny Espinosa: "I think the league has adjusted to him and now he has to adjust back." #NatsDoesn't sound like Zimmmerman thinks Danny is suffering due to injury.

133. Section 222 - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:05 PM

This is pretty funny:Gavin Birch- ‏@Section138 We'll always have this moment, Danny. No one can take that away from us. #PullsGasLineFromOven #IsThatHowuDoIt? http://vimeo.com/25242175

134. David Proctor - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:10 PM

HAHAHA that video is hilarious, 222.

135. David Proctor - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Rizzo said they may have Espinosa to spend time in the minors when he's healthy. They will also look at shoulder in addition to wrist #Nats. Rizzo says the Nats will put Espinosa "in a position to put his feet on the ground" once healthy. Meaning a possible option.

136. Alphabet Soup Erik - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:27 PM

I predict Danny Espinosa never plays another day in a Nationals uniform. 3 down 3 to go: Bernadina, Tracy, Moore-AAA.

137. David Proctor - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Davey on Espinosa's wrist: 'He didn’t want anyone to look at it and then when we x-rayed it we found out it was broke.' #Nats #NationalsTalk

138. MicheleS - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:37 PM

DP I just saw that tweet! OMG

139. SCNatsFan - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:37 PM

I'm happy for the moves but hate that three good guys are hurting tonight. If Duke and HRod are gone then thanks for the things you did. No hard feelings and wish you luck elsewhere.

140. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:39 PM

242

141. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Great thought

142. EmDash - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:41 PM

From Chase on Twitter: "Davey on Espinosa's wrist: 'He didn’t want anyone to look at it and then when we x-rayed it we found out it was broke.'"Placing the blame more squarely on Espi, in addition to him not being there to talk to reporters about a 15-day-DL stint, would suggest the relationship between him and the club has pretty well soured, would it not?

143. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:58 PM

This is the start, but i would say minimum of 3 weeks late, but better late than never.

144. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 4, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Hopefully Braves pick up bad Henry

145. Candide - Jun 4, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Honestly, I'd prefer to see Henry go to the Astros, or any lousy team in the AL. What I saw of him over the past several weeks was that when he throttled back his fastball to 96-98 mph, he had adequate – not great, adequate – control. Then last week, against the Braves, in a do-or-die situation, he didn't throw a pitch under 101 and his wildness lost the game (along with the Nats' lineup of futility players).If he can learn to not get amped up, that combined with his 80 mph changeup, his fastball is actually better at 98 mph over the plate than at 102 over the catcher's head, he could be one of those guys batters walk back to the plate muttering to themselves about.But I don't want him to figure that out with the Marlins or the Mets, or Babe Ruth help us, with the Braves.

146. baseballswami - Jun 4, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Bo Porter likely to pick up either pitcher???

147. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 4, 2013 at 10:35 PM

EmDash, wow just wow on that quote.

148. David Proctor - Jun 4, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Oh No! Johnny Holiday is filling in for Bob tonight.

149. A DC Wonk - Jun 4, 2013 at 10:58 PM

OK, so, the Nats look like their batting order is close to as it should be — for the first five guys, at least. And even that is the first in a long time.OK, folks, strap on the seatbelts. We knew this was coming — been talking about it for weeks:We now enter a 105-game stretch where most everybody we play is not an elite team. This, and some new guys, and Harper back next week, is when we start to make our move.GYFNG! Look out — here we come!

150. baseballswami - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Ramos says three weeks for him the Nats are going to have a monster second half. Half the team will be fresh as a daisy

151. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Johnny Holiday on play by play……Ugh!

152. David Proctor - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Kilgore reported that Danny cleaned out his locker because he's pissed. Very childish.

153. Eric - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:11 PM

JZim had the same expression on his face after the first batter as he had during most of the Os game…and his pitches are up…Hope things are OK…

154. David Proctor - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:11 PM

That's because JZimm has the same expression on his face no matter what Eric. That's a good thing.

155. Eric - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:15 PM

That's the thing…it's not The Look that I got used to seeing earlier in the season. He looks preoccupied or something…Hopefully I'm wrong…he started getting his pitches down at with the last batter so that's a good sign…

156. David Proctor - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:18 PM

That was a nice swing from Werth.

157. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Danny pissed about what? he had many chances to fix problem. He didnt do what he needed to do

158. baseballswami - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:24 PM

So Jhonny just said we are 24 and six when we score three runs. That's 30. We haven't won thirty games, right ?? Confused.

159. David Proctor - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Huh? 24-6 means we've won 24 games and lost 6. Not 30. Also, Valdespin is such a Nats killer.

160. SCNatsFan - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Maybe they took so long with Danny because they knew he would take it poorly and didn't want to risk ruining him. If that is true then Danny has a lot more to fix then his swing.

161. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:28 PM

24 wins and 6 loses.Ankiel not swinging wildly against us. He would swung at all those.

162. David Proctor - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Johnny is giving FP a geography quiz.

163. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Johnny Holiday just needs to shut up. He's the worst.

164. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Danny got a month more with them (as did Duke and HROD) WITH them then me.

165. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:31 PM

You mean because an easy pop to Lombo is not a hit?

166. David Proctor - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:32 PM

IAN! He's heating up again.

167. SCNatsFan - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:32 PM

All right Ian

168. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:32 PM

The series strreaks of homers continues

169. Just wonderin' - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Johnny is giving FP a geography quiz.=======================Better than the Fox announcer who somehow moved TyMo from Brandon, Mississippi, to Branson, Missouri.

170. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Roger still guessing.

171. baseballswami - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Oh- and I am an idiot. But at least Ian is not!!

172. David Proctor - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Lombo looking like Espi swinging at that ball at the shoulders.

173. SCNatsFan - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:36 PM

If there is anything Shark, Tracy and Moore learned today is that (finally) that is is put up or shut up time

174. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Lombo swinging at high pitches. Must have been in honor of rick ankiel.

175. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:38 PM

I had no issues with the changes today… I supported and wanted them all….So glad Werth is back….

176. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:38 PM

swami @ 7:35 – No worries. I still had Houston in the NL a few weeks ago.

177. ehay2k - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Wow, Holiday is, well, a bit past his prime. He can't even read the standings. He mails in his performance, a half-sentence at a time!

178. David Proctor - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Yeah Jordan's command is off today. He doesn't look uncomfortable to me though. It's kind of odd. I'm wondering if it's just a dead arm period.

179. Eric - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:41 PM

I'm tellin yall…something is still not right with JZimn…jmo…would love to be wrong.

180. David Proctor - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:42 PM

ALR just saved Lombo who saved Zim. Zim threw wide, Lombo made a good play to grab it and then Lombo threw way wide and ALR stretched to grab it.

181. David Proctor - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:45 PM

"Outside the Lines has learned MLB is preparing to suspend A. Rodriguez, Braun and others connected to Biogenesis clinic."Uh oh. I hope Gio isn't part of that.

182. Candide - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:46 PM

183. MrsB loves the Nats - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Eric, I was thinking the same thing…

184. ehay2k - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Gio will not be. WBC invitation was the best sign of that.

185. David Proctor - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Anthony Bosch is going to testify against the players. Uh oh.

186. Eric - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Did MLB win the suit to get the documents from the clinic? If so, I am not 100% confident Go is still in the clear. Hopefully if they did get the documents no new mentions were made of him in them.Fingers crossed…

187. David Proctor - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:49 PM

About 20 players will be suspended. Those odds aren't good for Gio. I have a bad feeling in my stomach.

188. baseballswami - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:50 PM

I agree that JZ is going through an out of sync period. Or the league is adjusting to his strike diet and fouling him off to counteract it. Praying Gio is not included in the Miami crap.

189. Eric - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:51 PM

"Lombo may not be the slick fielder that Espinosa is, but you can't complain that he's hurting us in the field."I've never been worried about Lombo at 2B. He's solid, just not as slick as Espi and isn't a HUGE step up at the plate, recent efforts notwithstanding entirely.

190. NatsLady - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Ray Flowers ‏@BaseballGuys 2mRT @daleysports: Sources tell @OTLonESPN that Biogenesis founder Tony Bosch will testify; MLB preparing to suspend A-Rod, Braun, etc. I hope "etc." doesn't include Gio.

191. baseballswami - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Walked a batter in two straight games.

192. Eric - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:51 PM

"About 20 players will be suspended."Yikes…

193. David Proctor - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:52 PM

That was a good inning for JZimm.

194. David Proctor - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:52 PM

MLB may be seeking 100 game suspensions. Oh crap.

195. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Gio is fine. MLB has pretty much absolved him already.

196. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:53 PM

NatsLady, just coming on to say the same. This will be a "hold your breath" moment.

197. David Proctor - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Actually only 100 game suspensions against A-Rod and Braun. I'd assume 50 for the others.

198. Eric - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:53 PM

David, I JZimn doesn't look physically uncomfortable, just preoccupied/not as confident as usual. Hopefully he's just having bad warm up sessions and going through something with mechanics or something.

199. baseballswami - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:54 PM

That DP was not so bad. You have to understand that guys need to play side by side every day to get those plays timed. So hard to be constantly changing in the middle infield.

200. David Proctor - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:54 PM

ESPN reports that #Nats Gio Gonzalez will be "scrutinized but possibly exonerated" in the Biogenesis case