Jun 5, 2013, 1:36 AM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Jayson Werth went 1-for-4 in his return from the DL.
Game in a nutshell: The afternoon featured a flurry of roster moves designed, in the words of GM Mike Rizzo, to put the best possible 25 men on the field to win tonight's game. But for eight innings, the result bore a striking resemblance to so many other nights over the last two months. The Nationals couldn't get anything going at the plate, and some sloppy defense wound up costing them and spoiling a great pitching performance. Jordan Zimmermann went eight innings and allowed zero earned runs, but the Mets brought two men home in the fifth via Adam LaRoche's throwing error. Those two runs should have proved enough because the Nationals did nothing against Mets right-hander Jeremy Hefner other than Ian Desmond's solo homer in the second. But then, it all finally came together in the bottom of the ninth against New York closer Bobby Parnell. Ryan Zimmerman, Adam LaRoche and Ian Desmond all recorded base hits to jump-start the rally. Steve Lombardozzi then delivered the game-winning sacrifice fly, giving the Nationals much-needed, 3-2 victory.
Hitting highlight: Just when it looked like the Nationals were doomed to yet another woeful night at the plate, they stormed back in dramatic fashion in the bottom of the ninth. Zimmerman led off with a double off the wall in right-center, barely beating RickRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Royals hope to even World Series in Game 2
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett likely to return for 2015
- Nationals roster report: Ryan Zimmerman
- Bumgarner, Giants stop Royals 7-1 in Series opener
- Report: Marlins may have James Shields atop shopping list
- Royals host Giants in Game 1 of the 2014 World Series
- Sporting News names Mets pitcher NL Rookie of the Year
- Palm Beach approves funding for Nats spring complex
- Williams named top NL manager by peers
- Nationals roster report: Adam LaRoche