Jun 5, 2013, 1:36 AM EST
USA Today Sports Images
Jayson Werth went 1-for-4 in his return from the DL.
Game in a nutshell: The afternoon featured a flurry of roster moves designed, in the words of GM Mike Rizzo, to put the best possible 25 men on the field to win tonight's game. But for eight innings, the result bore a striking resemblance to so many other nights over the last two months. The Nationals couldn't get anything going at the plate, and some sloppy defense wound up costing them and spoiling a great pitching performance. Jordan Zimmermann went eight innings and allowed zero earned runs, but the Mets brought two men home in the fifth via Adam LaRoche's throwing error. Those two runs should have proved enough because the Nationals did nothing against Mets right-hander Jeremy Hefner other than Ian Desmond's solo homer in the second. But then, it all finally came together in the bottom of the ninth against New York closer Bobby Parnell. Ryan Zimmerman, Adam LaRoche and Ian Desmond all recorded base hits to jump-start the rally. Steve Lombardozzi then delivered the game-winning sacrifice fly, giving the Nationals much-needed, 3-2 victory.
Hitting highlight: Just when it looked like the Nationals were doomed to yet another woeful night at the plate, they stormed back in dramatic fashion in the bottom of the ninth. Zimmerman led off with a double off the wall in right-center, barely beating RickRead more »
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- PHOTO: Max Scherzer takes out full-page ad to thank Tigers fans
- Braves claim former Nats prospect off waivers from Yankees
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Anthony Rendon
- Former Nats pitcher Ross Ohlendorf follows Detwiler to Rangers
- PHOTOS: Bryce Harper attends Clippers game, meets Blake Griffin
- Big decisions to make for Nats after Scherzer signing
- Scherzer talked to Fister, Thornton before joining Nationals
- Ichiro Suzuki, former Nats OF Jonny Gomes land in NL East
- Boras' 'internal rating' system says Nats have MLB's best rotation
- Nationals sign former All-Star reliever to minor league deal