Jun 5, 2013, 9:02 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Updated at 5:25 p.m.
Still experiencing tightness in his strained right lat muscle, Stephen Strasburg will be placed on the 15-day disabled list by the Nationals.
Strasburg hasn’t experienced any setbacks since he was pulled after two innings Friday night in Atlanta, but the condition hasn’t improved enough for club officials to let him take the mound again. The right-hander was scheduled to throw off a bullpen mound this afternoon, but he never attempted the session.
“We were going to be cautious with him, but all along, we felt that this type of injury is usually a DL-type of injury,” general manager Mike Rizzo said. “But because he felt good, we wanted to see where he was at.”
The move is retroactive to June 1, making Strasburg eligible to return from the DL as soon as June 16.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats announce front office changes, including several promotions
- World Series shifts to San Francisco for Game 3
- Manager Joe Maddon opts out of contract with Rays
- Nationals roster review: Jose Lobaton
- Phillies CEO does not expect team to compete for a while
- Details announced for this offseason's NatsFest
- Nats' LaRoche and Span named Gold Glove finalists
- Braves name John Hart President of Baseball Operations
- Nationals roster review: Wilson Ramos
- Royals hope to even World Series in Game 2