Jun 5, 2013, 9:02 PM EST
USA Today Sports Images
Updated at 5:25 p.m.
Still experiencing tightness in his strained right lat muscle, Stephen Strasburg will be placed on the 15-day disabled list by the Nationals.
Strasburg hasn’t experienced any setbacks since he was pulled after two innings Friday night in Atlanta, but the condition hasn’t improved enough for club officials to let him take the mound again. The right-hander was scheduled to throw off a bullpen mound this afternoon, but he never attempted the session.
“We were going to be cautious with him, but all along, we felt that this type of injury is usually a DL-type of injury,” general manager Mike Rizzo said. “But because he felt good, we wanted to see where he was at.”
The move is retroactive to June 1, making Strasburg eligible to return from the DL as soon as June 16.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Dusty Baker on Nationals: "Why not now, and why not me?"
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Tanner Roark bounce back as a starter?
- Craig Stammen signs minor league deal with Cleveland
- Report: Tyler Clippard signs deal with NL West club
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Dodgers
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Joe Ross take the next step?
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Gio Gonzalez be more consistent?