Jun 5, 2013, 9:02 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Updated at 5:25 p.m.
Still experiencing tightness in his strained right lat muscle, Stephen Strasburg will be placed on the 15-day disabled list by the Nationals.
Strasburg hasn’t experienced any setbacks since he was pulled after two innings Friday night in Atlanta, but the condition hasn’t improved enough for club officials to let him take the mound again. The right-hander was scheduled to throw off a bullpen mound this afternoon, but he never attempted the session.
“We were going to be cautious with him, but all along, we felt that this type of injury is usually a DL-type of injury,” general manager Mike Rizzo said. “But because he felt good, we wanted to see where he was at.”
The move is retroactive to June 1, making Strasburg eligible to return from the DL as soon as June 16.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Zimmermann perfect against Sabathia, Yankees
- Fister could be ready for season's first week
- Zimmermann leads Nats against Yankees' Sabathia
- Injuries highlight the importance of rotation depth
- Gio Gonzalez starts strong, but Astros top Nationals
- Bryce Harper repping new eye black company
- Gonzalez faces Astros under the lights in Viera
- Should Desmond be the Nationals' No. 2 hitter?
- Strasburg settles down, Nats rout Cardinals 11-1
- Strasburg leads Nationals against Cardinals