Jun 6, 2013, 7:43 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
It feels like I've written this more than a few times already this season, but once again the Nationals are facing something close to a must-win game tonight. After last night's lopsided loss dropped them below .500 and into third place in the NL East, they really can't afford to drop another game in the standings and lose the series to a not-good Mets club.
So, Gio Gonzalez, it's up to you to come through with a big performance tonight. It's also up to the lineup to get something going against the winless Shaun Marcum after last night's lifeless showing against Dillon Gee.
The Nationals have yet another new face in their bullpen tonight. With Stephen Strasburg officially placed on the 15-day DL, left-hander Xavier Cedeno has been promoted from Class AAA Syracuse. Cedeno, claimed off waivers from Houston after the season began, doesn't figure to be here long. The Nationals will need to call up Ross Ohlendorf on Saturday to start against the Twins, so somebody else will have to be dropped before then.
Updates to come, please check back…
NEW YORK METS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 185
Weather: Chance of rain, 70 degrees, Wind 13 mph RF to LF
CF Denard Span
RF Jayson Werth
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats cruise to 9th straight win over Braves
- Zimmermann sharp as Nationals beat Braves again, 6-1
- Rested Nats open series in Atlanta
- Is it time to start worrying about Anthony Rendon's injuries?
- State of the Nats: All-Stars announced soon, Giants coming to town
- Baseball in the District - Which Nats should be All-Stars?
- Desmond showing signs of a breakout at last
- The Baseball Show: An amazing week of pitching
- On long, up-and-down day, Strasburg stands tall
- Roark struggles as Nats lose second game of doubleheader