Jun 6, 2013, 4:39 PM EST
USA Today Sports Images
Obviously, there wasn't much of anything to get excited about at Nationals Park during last night's trouncing at the hands of the Mets, but let's take just a moment to recognize one particularly positive development: Ian Krol's impressive major-league debut.
Summoned from Class AA Harrisburg on Tuesday as part of the Nationals' bullpen makeover, Krol saw his first action last night when he entered for the top of the sixth inning of what was at that point a 7-1 ballgame. The stakes might not have been terribly high, given the score, but Krol didn't know the difference. This was as significant an inning as he had pitched in his life.
"Butterflies were stirring," the 22-year-old left-hander said. "I was just running [in from the bullpen] not thinking about anything, really. Kinda going out there and just doing my job. I wasn't really thinking about the situation or the big stage. I was just trying to focus and do my job."
It took a couple of minutes for Krol to get his feet wet; he served up a leadoff double to Omar Quintanilla and then advanced him to third base on a wild pitch. But then he settled in and showedRead more »
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster preview: Jose Lobaton
- 2015 outlook: Kansas City Royals
- Werth pleads guilty to reckless driving, will serve jail time
- Williams to host Super Bowl party with Mark Wahlberg & Michael Bay
- Report: Rafael Soriano in talks with AL East club
- Marlins introduce Ichiro in Japan: 'His body says he’s 30 or less'
- Nats roster preview: Wilson Ramos
- Phillies adjust front office as Gillick becomes full-time team president
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros
- Nats sign veteran Janssen to bolster bullpen