Jun 6, 2013, 4:39 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Obviously, there wasn't much of anything to get excited about at Nationals Park during last night's trouncing at the hands of the Mets, but let's take just a moment to recognize one particularly positive development: Ian Krol's impressive major-league debut.
Summoned from Class AA Harrisburg on Tuesday as part of the Nationals' bullpen makeover, Krol saw his first action last night when he entered for the top of the sixth inning of what was at that point a 7-1 ballgame. The stakes might not have been terribly high, given the score, but Krol didn't know the difference. This was as significant an inning as he had pitched in his life.
"Butterflies were stirring," the 22-year-old left-hander said. "I was just running [in from the bullpen] not thinking about anything, really. Kinda going out there and just doing my job. I wasn't really thinking about the situation or the big stage. I was just trying to focus and do my job."
It took a couple of minutes for Krol to get his feet wet; he served up a leadoff double to Omar Quintanilla and then advanced him to third base on a wild pitch. But then he settled in and showedRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals sweep Giants behind Zimmermann, Ramos
- Two Giants ejected after arguing call vs. Nationals
- Live Thread: Nationals face Giants in Sunday night matchup
- Harper voted All-Star starter in record-breaking fashion
- Many unknowns in Strasburg's latest injury
- Strasburg placed on the 15-day DL with oblique strain
- For Nats, second half begins with high expectations
- Strasburg exits early in Nationals' 9-3 win
- Strasburg leaves game early due to apparent injury
- Harper on using patriotic bat on the Fourth: "Why not?"