Jun 6, 2013, 4:39 PM EST
USA Today Sports Images
Obviously, there wasn't much of anything to get excited about at Nationals Park during last night's trouncing at the hands of the Mets, but let's take just a moment to recognize one particularly positive development: Ian Krol's impressive major-league debut.
Summoned from Class AA Harrisburg on Tuesday as part of the Nationals' bullpen makeover, Krol saw his first action last night when he entered for the top of the sixth inning of what was at that point a 7-1 ballgame. The stakes might not have been terribly high, given the score, but Krol didn't know the difference. This was as significant an inning as he had pitched in his life.
"Butterflies were stirring," the 22-year-old left-hander said. "I was just running [in from the bullpen] not thinking about anything, really. Kinda going out there and just doing my job. I wasn't really thinking about the situation or the big stage. I was just trying to focus and do my job."
It took a couple of minutes for Krol to get his feet wet; he served up a leadoff double to Omar Quintanilla and then advanced him to third base on a wild pitch. But then he settled in and showedRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Kansas City Royals
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Will Michael Taylor become an everyday outfielder?
- Dusty Baker on Nationals: "Why not now, and why not me?"
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Tanner Roark bounce back as a starter?
- Craig Stammen signs minor league deal with Cleveland
- Report: Tyler Clippard signs deal with NL West club
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Dodgers
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Joe Ross take the next step?