Nats 2013 draft preview

When the Nationals pick:
*Lost first round pick to Yankees for signing Rafael Soriano as a free agent
*2nd round, 68th overall is first pick
*3rd round, 105th overall is second pick
*Pick last in rounds 4-40
General Manager Mike Rizzo on the Nationals' plans:
“We’re not approaching it any different. We’re setting up the board, doing our due diligence just like we have every other year. It’s the only way we know how to do it. And when you pick 68, other than waiting longer to make a selection, we’re going to handle the draft the exact same way I’ve done it my whole career.”

1. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:17 PM

2009: 2B Jeff Kobernus – 50th overallNotable how? He's done nothing so far because Davey can't really use him. His nice HBP last night gives him a stat line.

2. DaveB - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:32 PM

GoSM … Notable as 1 of only 2 2nd rounders in the last dozen years to make it to the bigs?

3. JD - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Mark, I don't agree that pitching depth is or should be the main priority. I think there is a nice pipeline of arms in the low minors (Solis, Purke, Shwartz, Cole, Ray, Jordan, Giolito just from the top of my head). What I don't see anywhere are left handed power hitters playing 1st base or corner outfielder and short stops. Am I missing something?

4. EmDash - Jun 6, 2013 at 3:00 PM

The team's style isn't to look for particular positions, though, just whichever players they like the best. So it's hard to say what strategy they'll take with only lower-level choices remaining.And Mark, today's actually Thursday the 6th, no matter how much I may wish it's Friday. *g*

5. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 6, 2013 at 3:04 PM

JD, the injured Skole?

6. SCNatsFan - Jun 6, 2013 at 3:12 PM

The only thing I am sure of is that I will have never heard of the guy we pick in the second round

7. Section 222 - Jun 6, 2013 at 3:30 PM

For all you beer drinking Nats fans, Steinberg posted this link to an awesome map of where you can buy different beers at the park. If this guy were an Insider, I'd buy him a virtual beer over at NIDO.

8. JD - Jun 6, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Ghost, Skole will be 24 in July and has only played 20 games above A level (18 at A+ and 2 at AA). He may be a late bloomer but I am not sold on his top notch prospect status. Goodwin is scuffling a bit at AA which is really a tough level to graduate from but he does have an OBP of .351 with some pop and he's only 22.

9. JD - Jun 6, 2013 at 3:58 PM

From what I read this is supposed to be a weak draft and you can no longer over pay to get people who were skipped because of financial demands so it's hard to imagine any one of astonishing significance at 68. You never know though, you could find a diamond in the rough which everyone has whiffed on. It's happened before. The better opportunity for the Nats is to find top of the line players internationally. I don't think we've been very strong in that regard.

10. DaveBinMD - Jun 6, 2013 at 4:26 PM

11. DaveBinMD - Jun 6, 2013 at 4:27 PM

12. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 6, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Am I missing something?Well, you're missing the obvious. This is Chase's post, not Mark's.

13. MikeinDC - Jun 6, 2013 at 4:38 PM

If you have pitching, you can trade for most anything else you need.

14. Pilchard - Jun 6, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Based on past practice, would guess that the Nats will draft a highly regarded player that has dropped due to signability concerns. The Nats will then draft a bunch of players that they can sign below slot – so they can use their limited amount of draft money to sign one highly regarded player. Rizzo gets that teams win with elite players; if the Nats have an angle on elite player they will do their best to get him despite the lack of an early pick.

15. blovy8 - Jun 6, 2013 at 5:46 PM

It'll be a pitcher who's ready to have surgery.

16. blovy8 - Jun 6, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Well, maybe not ready, exactly, but it certainly seems likely to be in his future.

17. sjm308 - Jun 6, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Deuces: wanted to thank you for the beer guide. Our Newcastle stand, while not my favorite, will do just fine since there is hardly ever a line and its a decent ale. I did like a couple of the beers at the Red Porch but for those prices I can get as good a beer, if not better at Justin's before the game. still made for interesting reading.Win tonight and we win a series!!Go Nats!!