Jun 6, 2013, 11:37 PM EDT
[Updated 9:57 p.m.]
By Chase Hughes
Thursday’s series finale between the Nationals and Mets was postponed due to heavy rain, with a makeup date set for July 26. The two teams will play a doubleheader with the first game at 1:35 p.m. and the second, regularly scheduled matchup at 7:05 p.m.
The unexpected day off gives Washington the opportunity to adjust their pitching plans for the weekend. The Nats were planning to call up veteran Ross Ohlendorf from Triple-A to pitch Saturday, but now don’t have to.
Gio Gonzalez moves over to pitch Friday against the Twins with Nathan Karns set to pitch on Saturday. Washington can also now keep lefty reliever Xavier Cedeno on the roster.
"With the number of guys we have on the DL, this is a welcome call,” Johnson said. “And then not having to add somebody else, another starter, and then we've got an off-day on Monday. So we would have just really made a bunch of guys move around. This is much better. So I'm happy about it."
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- As Nationals soar, so does dominant Storen
- Roark, Ramos lead Nationals past Cubs 2-1
- Nats pregame music choice irks Phillies, they promise payback
- Roark gets the start for Nats at Wrigley
- State of the Nats: Rolling into Wrigley for Bryant vs. Harper
- Harper showing he can excel at 'the little things'
- Advice from teammates helps Gio get back on track vs. Phillies
- Anthony Rendon to take big step forward in rehab this week
- Strong Gio start secures another series win for Nats
- Nationals aim for another series win against Philly