Jun 6, 2013, 11:37 PM EST
[Updated 9:57 p.m.]
By Chase Hughes
Thursday’s series finale between the Nationals and Mets was postponed due to heavy rain, with a makeup date set for July 26. The two teams will play a doubleheader with the first game at 1:35 p.m. and the second, regularly scheduled matchup at 7:05 p.m.
The unexpected day off gives Washington the opportunity to adjust their pitching plans for the weekend. The Nats were planning to call up veteran Ross Ohlendorf from Triple-A to pitch Saturday, but now don’t have to.
Gio Gonzalez moves over to pitch Friday against the Twins with Nathan Karns set to pitch on Saturday. Washington can also now keep lefty reliever Xavier Cedeno on the roster.
"With the number of guys we have on the DL, this is a welcome call,” Johnson said. “And then not having to add somebody else, another starter, and then we've got an off-day on Monday. So we would have just really made a bunch of guys move around. This is much better. So I'm happy about it."
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trio of pitching greats on new Hall of Fame ballot
- Who is the Nats' best player at his position?
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: Wilmer Difo
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: A.J. Cole
- Report: LaRoche signs 2-year deal with White Sox
- Souza explains gift from Zimmermann: 'It was his moment'
- Nats sign RHP Billings for minor league depth
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas
- When should Nats' wave of prospects arrive?
- Nationals linked to top free agent Max Scherzer