Jun 6, 2013, 11:37 PM EDT
[Updated 9:57 p.m.]
By Chase Hughes
Thursday’s series finale between the Nationals and Mets was postponed due to heavy rain, with a makeup date set for July 26. The two teams will play a doubleheader with the first game at 1:35 p.m. and the second, regularly scheduled matchup at 7:05 p.m.
The unexpected day off gives Washington the opportunity to adjust their pitching plans for the weekend. The Nats were planning to call up veteran Ross Ohlendorf from Triple-A to pitch Saturday, but now don’t have to.
Gio Gonzalez moves over to pitch Friday against the Twins with Nathan Karns set to pitch on Saturday. Washington can also now keep lefty reliever Xavier Cedeno on the roster.
"With the number of guys we have on the DL, this is a welcome call,” Johnson said. “And then not having to add somebody else, another starter, and then we've got an off-day on Monday. So we would have just really made a bunch of guys move around. This is much better. So I'm happy about it."
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Mark Zuckerman joins STL to talk about Nats' injury problems
- Janssen unlikely for opener with shoulder tendinitis
- Knee injury concerns go next level for Anthony Rendon
- Nats sign veteran outfielder recently cut by Marlins
- Nats trade lefty reliever to Mets for veteran outfielder
- Storen leaves game with blister on big toe
- Mets find lefty relief help in trade with Padres
- Jordan gets chance to face Cardinals
- Report: Mets strill trying to trade veteran starter
- Nats trade veteran catcher to Red Sox