Jun 6, 2013, 4:39 AM EDT
As much as they’d like to believe in the idea of momentum, deep down, the Nationals probably know better. Tonight’s outcome isn’t predicated at all on last night’s result. You can win a game in the most dramatic fashion possible, but it won’t mean anything if you come back out 24 hours later and play bad baseball.
And in a season filled with some less-than-pretty performances from the Nationals, Wednesday night’s 10-1 trouncing at the hands of the Mets might have been the ugliest yet.
So much for building any positive momentum out of Tuesday night’s dramatic, come-from-behind victory. Or any other positive development the Nationals have experienced over the last two months that have failed to get this club going on a prolonged, upward track.
“There’s really no explanation for it,” center fielder Denard Span said. “We just haven’t played good. I’m going to be honest. Just all across the board.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- After nailbiter, Nationals on the cusp of a clinch
- Strasburg dominates as Nats win 4-2
- Harper latest Nats player to come down with bug
- LaRoche named finalist for Man of Year award
- Zimmerman ready for game action in Viera
- Strasburg tries to exorcise Atlanta demons
- Nationals putting NLDS tickets on sale Monday
- State of the Nats: Nationals can clinch this week against rivals
- Can the Nationals clinch in Atlanta this week?
- Nationals lower magic number to four, top Mets