Jun 6, 2013, 4:39 AM EDT
As much as they’d like to believe in the idea of momentum, deep down, the Nationals probably know better. Tonight’s outcome isn’t predicated at all on last night’s result. You can win a game in the most dramatic fashion possible, but it won’t mean anything if you come back out 24 hours later and play bad baseball.
And in a season filled with some less-than-pretty performances from the Nationals, Wednesday night’s 10-1 trouncing at the hands of the Mets might have been the ugliest yet.
So much for building any positive momentum out of Tuesday night’s dramatic, come-from-behind victory. Or any other positive development the Nationals have experienced over the last two months that have failed to get this club going on a prolonged, upward track.
“There’s really no explanation for it,” center fielder Denard Span said. “We just haven’t played good. I’m going to be honest. Just all across the board.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats will keep playing, try to secure No. 1 seed
- Nationals going with all backups tonight vs. Braves
- Nationals' division titles are no small achievement
- Nationals Stock Watch: NL East champs have plenty of risers
- Matt Williams quotes Robert Frost in postgame speech (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Nats celebrate NL East title with loud music, lots of beer
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper wears custom firefighters helmet to celebrate
- Nationals clinch NL East with victory in Atlanta
- How did Zimmerman fare in first game action in Viera?