Jun 6, 2013, 4:39 AM EDT
As much as they’d like to believe in the idea of momentum, deep down, the Nationals probably know better. Tonight’s outcome isn’t predicated at all on last night’s result. You can win a game in the most dramatic fashion possible, but it won’t mean anything if you come back out 24 hours later and play bad baseball.
And in a season filled with some less-than-pretty performances from the Nationals, Wednesday night’s 10-1 trouncing at the hands of the Mets might have been the ugliest yet.
So much for building any positive momentum out of Tuesday night’s dramatic, come-from-behind victory. Or any other positive development the Nationals have experienced over the last two months that have failed to get this club going on a prolonged, upward track.
“There’s really no explanation for it,” center fielder Denard Span said. “We just haven’t played good. I’m going to be honest. Just all across the board.”
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats nearly doubled in franchise value from 2014 to 2015
- Gonzalez settles down, with help from Scherzer
- Former Nats pitcher earns rotation spot with Texas Rangers
- Ian Desmond ranks highly among shortstops, according to ESPN
- Gio Gonzalez faces Mets in Viera
- Harper sidelined as Nats' injuries continue to mount
- Who should Nats' tab as Rendon's fill-in?
- Podcast: 'Baseball in the District' - Mark Zuckerman & Marc Carig
- Scherzer dominates Cardinals' "A" lineup
- Harper on criticism, hopes for 2015: 'I want to do damage'