Nats-Twins opener postponed

Jun 7, 2013, 4:52 PM EDT

USA Today Sports Images

Tonight's interleague series opener between the Nationals and Twins has already been postponed due to the heavy rain that has been sweeping through the area since yesterday and is expected to linger through the night.

The game will be made up Sunday as part of a split-ticket, day-night doubleheader. The original game scheduled for 1:35 p.m. remains unchanged, with tonight's rainout to be made up at 7:05 p.m.

Thus, fans holding tickets for tonight's rainout can either use them for Sunday's 7:05 p.m. makeup game or exchange them for a comparable ticket to any available future home game this season.

The Nationals weren't left with many scheduling options. A Saturday doubleheader wasn't possible because the originally scheduled game is for 4:05 p.m., with a postgame concert by Blues Traveler to follow. Because Fox has exclusive broadcasting rights from 7-10 p.m., the Nationals wouldn't have been able to televise a game in primetime.Read more »

1. baseballswami - Jun 7, 2013 at 4:57 PM

2. A DC Wonk - Jun 7, 2013 at 5:02 PM

baseballswami said… Well at least we have something to debate- which minor league pitchers will face which teams.With some of the neg-anon-regulars chipping in, no matter who gets picked, that Rizzo/Davey have lost their minds, don't have it anymore, can't see, are getting blackmailed, etc etc. . . .

3. NatsLady - Jun 7, 2013 at 5:02 PM

If Det only throws 30 or 40 pitches in Potomac, isn't it more like a bullpen session? If he feels ok, I think he could start in Colorado.

4. Ivan Tuski - Jun 7, 2013 at 5:04 PM

So what I want to know is if you park in a lot for the 1 o'clock game can you stay there for both games (if it's not a Nats lot.

5. baseballswami - Jun 7, 2013 at 5:04 PM

On twitter someone said no way. There is a Nats game on masn– A beardless Bryce is playing, Mets, Jonathan Niese is pitching. Turn to it and help me figure it out???

6. baseballswami - Jun 7, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Ivan- that would be sweet. Considering it myself.

7. Section 222 - Jun 7, 2013 at 5:06 PM

swami, I'm with you. I can't tell if the people obsessing about who our backup SS is are seriously worried about that or fighting a rearguard action against the Espi demotion. In any case, your answer from this morning is now in the NIDO Glossary, in case you get tired of repeating yourself. I'm sure we're not the only team that would look for a solution other than a current bench player if their starting SS went down with a serious injury. These things happen and adjustments get made. For the record, I'm just as opposed to a SS who can only hit .150 as I am to a 2B hitting that poorly.

8. baseballswami - Jun 7, 2013 at 5:07 PM

This game is obviously last year– Morse is batting. Not enough happened yet for me to place it on the calendar.

9. Section 222 - Jun 7, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Ivan/Swami — Just be aware that you won't be able to park yourself in the park all day. They will clear it after the first game. If the weather is decent, 8th Street will be hopping, and Justin's better stock up!

10. BG - Jun 7, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Is there a TV blackout on Sunday evenings for the ESPN game?

11. baseballswami - Jun 7, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Section 222- I thank you from the bottom of my heart. On this stormy day I am hoping that masn would not screw me over with a game we lost. I think I will watch it out of a sheer baseball vacuum and try to figure out what game it is. I can check online and see if we won. Then I can watch and pretend it's real– pathetic activity for a desperate fan. Ross D is pitching. More data.

12. Section 222 - Jun 7, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Looks like it's July 17 from last year. If you don't want a spoiler ignore my next post. :-)

13. sweet rose - Jun 7, 2013 at 5:15 PM

It's probably the Mets game last June where Bryce got the walkoff hit in the 12th. That would probably qualify it as "classic" in MASN's eyes.

14. Section 222 - Jun 7, 2013 at 5:16 PM

On second thought, anyone who wants to know the outcome can look it up. Pretty exciting game with a great finish.

15. baseballswami - Jun 7, 2013 at 5:18 PM

I think you are correct– July 17th. The walk off wild pitch!!!! I am so watching this game! Rainy Friday afternoon and a classic walk off game.

16. sweet rose - Jun 7, 2013 at 5:24 PM

I remember that walk off wild pitch game. There were a couple of Mets fans sitting behind me who basically predicted that loss as soon as we got into their bullpen.

17. baseballswami - Jun 7, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Kind of a good choice for today. Last week when Zim hit three taters, they showed the Adam Dunn three homer game. Had to listen to Dibble , though :(

18. Tcostant - Jun 7, 2013 at 5:28 PM

"A single-admission doubleheader for either Saturday or Sunday wasn't an option, either, because too many tickets have already been sold for the entire weekend series, requiring a split, separate-admission doubleheader."This sounds very similar to what I was trying to say yesterday on these boards…

19. sweet rose - Jun 7, 2013 at 5:33 PM

You can enjoy some things in that classic game that are no longer on the menu this year. Tyler Moore home run. Danny Espinosa singling in the tying run. Though the Tyler Clippard blown save is still available now and then as a chef's special.

20. Section 222 - Jun 7, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Though the Tyler Clippard blown save is still available now and then as a chef's special.Hasn't really been seen on the menu this year since a more expensive dish with a more reliable finish is now being highlighted.

21. baseballswami - Jun 7, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Speaking of which- that particular dessert has not been on the menu at all yet in June. Maybe tomorrow?

22. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 7, 2013 at 5:45 PM

The rare Sunday doubleheader. Ohlendorf may get his start after all which avoids the DFA. That's huge.

23. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 7, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Pitch JZim and Ohlendorf on Sunday and move Karns to Tuesday.

24. Section 222 - Jun 7, 2013 at 5:49 PM

The pitching situation is depressing. When the season started, we expected that Duke would get a spot start or two at some point. But who would have thought that games would be started by Nate Karns and Ross Ohlendorf? Oy.

25. MicheleS - Jun 7, 2013 at 5:49 PM

PLEASE PUT JZ in Colorado… I don't want the series starting of with Dan.. I don't think that thin air will do his fly ball/HR rate any good

26. NatsLady - Jun 7, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Not draft related but I just saw on Twitter that the Nationals have claimed LHP Tyler Robertson from Minnesota. Interesting arm, has done well against LHPs in the past, and his Dad works in the Nats front office. Intriguing and possibly shrewd pick-up for the Nationals.From the site I just posted.

27. MicheleS - Jun 7, 2013 at 5:49 PM

GHOST.. Isn't Karns a Fly ball pitcher too?

28. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 7, 2013 at 5:50 PM

The Nats can pitch Detwiler on Thursday in Colorado.

29. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 7, 2013 at 5:52 PM

MicheleS, yes Karns is more flyball IMO than JZim and less than Haren.

30. baseballswami - Jun 7, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Just read on twitter Gio tomorrow, JZ and Karns Sunday and still a shot for Det in Colorado. Short rest- not a good idea? We shall see- don't think that was official. Will find it and see who it was.

31. NatsLady - Jun 7, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Yes, on Det if he feels OK after his rehab in Potomac. Have Stammen at the ready with his sinker and GRRRRRRRRRRRR Mattheus yet again.

32. baseballswami - Jun 7, 2013 at 5:54 PM

James Wagner– WaPost , pretty decent source.

33. NatsLady - Jun 7, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Washington Nationals Round 3 Pick #105 -> Drew Ward 3B Oklahoma HSYoung kid who reclassified himself from a 2014 draft pick to a 2013 pick, Ward has huge power and is an intriguing player in Round 3. This does not seem like a typical Mike Rizzo selection, but I like to see them drafting some high school players to add to the lower minor leagues.

34. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 7, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Swami, read Mark's last paragraph about the 26th man for a doubleheader. Why not give yourself more alternatives where you can push Haren back to Wednesday instead of a callup.

35. baseballswami - Jun 7, 2013 at 5:58 PM

And CM Wang is now a Blue Jay.

36. Dave - Jun 7, 2013 at 5:58 PM

I feel like it's been so long since they played, I have no idea what to expect. I think the last Sunday night game I attended was probably Opening Day of Nats Park in 2008.

37. baseballswami - Jun 7, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Ghost– agree. Do not like the idea of pushing Det. If they let you have an extra guy for a day, use it. Especially in our park, against a soso team instead of in Colorado.

38. baseballswami - Jun 7, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Just watched Tyler Moore hit a home run. Something I hope to see again soon. And Espi with a base hit bunt. Alternate universe.

39. sweet rose - Jun 7, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Steinberg buries the lede. Clippard and Storen have broken up. Fight over who closes the toilet seat?

40. NatsLady - Jun 7, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that Wang is expected to sign with the Blue Jays and will likely start for them Tuesday against the White Sox.

41. baseballswami - Jun 7, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Twitter is a twitter on this boring day. Apparently Krohl went to the clubhouse- did not know about the postponement. New guy.

42. NatsLady - Jun 7, 2013 at 6:07 PM

See, we aren't the only ones. Padres with a guy who had an injury that turned out worse than it seemed.yonder alonsohttp://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/07/yonder-alonso-diagnosed-with-fractured-hand/

43. baseballswami - Jun 7, 2013 at 6:10 PM

No day to day, though. Immediately out for a month. Smart response.

44. CN - Jun 7, 2013 at 6:11 PM

45. CN - Jun 7, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Drew Ward was ranked #87 by Baseball America, and projects as a corner IF, even though he apparently played SS in HS. fwiw…

46. baseballswami - Jun 7, 2013 at 6:13 PM

We just picked up a lefty reliever, too, I think. Sounds like AAA depth. Nothing to do with the draft.

47. EmDash - Jun 7, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Probably no way to avoid pitching Haren in Colorado, but yeeesh. That's gonna be ugly. And Haren with an extra few days of rest, at that!

48. NatsLady - Jun 7, 2013 at 6:16 PM

I'll go to both games, so if anyone wants to organize a get-together between?

49. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 7, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Swami, unless they have a sinkerballer in mind for Wednesday. Everyone would be on short rest including Detwiler so I think they have to look to the Minors again. It would also require a roster move if they do it on Wednesday. Maybe Det on a pitch count to tandem with Stammen. Still complicated. I go Ohlendorf as a freebie for Sunday's doubleheader.

50. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 7, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Swami, Robertson from the Twins as the new AAA waiver claim?

51. baseballswami - Jun 7, 2013 at 6:20 PM

That would be the guy. Apparently related to someone in the front office.

52. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 7, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Move Karns or JZim to Tuesday, Haren to Wednesday and Det Thursday, Gio on Friday.

53. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 7, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Swami, yah Robertsons dad is in the front office.

54. Tcostant - Jun 7, 2013 at 6:26 PM

And in other news, my front lawn now looks great because of all this rain.

55. David Proctor - Jun 7, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Nats just picked RHP Nicholas Pivetta.Adam Kilgore ‏@AdamKilgoreWP 1mNats fourth round pick: Nicholas Pivetta, a right-handed pitcher out of New Mexico Junior College. Baseball American rates him No. 105.

56. baseballswami - Jun 7, 2013 at 7:03 PM

New post.

57. Caps Fan - Jun 7, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Zuckerman just tweeted that Zimmerman will start the 1:35 game on Sunday, Karns starts the 7:05. Would seem to leave the starter for Wed in Colorado up in the air. Maybe if NatsJack hasn't headed out yet for the early bird dinner at Del Boca Vista he could enlighten us as to how this rainout today has provided a reset. Beats me.

58. NatsLady - Jun 7, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Washington Nationals Round 4 Pick #136 -> Nic Pivetta New Mexico JCA Canadian pitcher with a huge pitcher’s frame and even bigger fastball, Pivetta has a promising junior college arm that does not have much wear on a lightly used arm. His fastball and curve combination portends a career as a reliever, but the Nats will let him develop as a starter and see if he can develop a good changeup. Interesting pick with some upside here at the end of Round 4.

59. BallstonNat - Jun 7, 2013 at 7:41 PM

So did we ever find out if MASN can show game two against the ESPN game of the week? I believe they can. I know the Padres played last week during that time slot and I think I saw them on MLB ticket.Is Bob C gone through the weekend? If so, two games in one day with Johnny H on the PBP might do in a whole lot of us. Poor F.P.

60. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 7, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Would seem to leave the starter for Wed in Colorado up in the air.Nearly a mile up, I'm told.

61. natsfan1a - Jun 7, 2013 at 8:32 PM

And rocky.

62. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 7, 2013 at 9:11 PM

I too am waiting for the MASN answer

63. Michael Dempsey - Jun 7, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Since it is Sunday night I am assuming I won't be able to watch it on TV because of the ESPN game?

64. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 7, 2013 at 9:45 PM

I am not people who know the ESPN contract.

65. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 7, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Tom Davis just an.ounced game 2 Sunday WILL BE on MASN.

66. JT - Jun 8, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Not crazy about Haren throwing in Colorado, but what else can they do? Bye bye baseballs.