Game 60: Twins at Mets

Jun 8, 2013, 5:13 PM EDT

Photo by USA Today

Chase here posting the game thread today as Mark is actually recovering from getting his appendix removed. He had the procedure today and might need a few days. I am not able to attend the game today as well because of prior commitments, but I will be back on the beat tomorrow for the doubleheader.

After two games being postponed, Gio Gonzalez (3-3, 3.64 ERA) will finally take the mound for his first start since June 1. Throughout his career he has had trouble with extra time off, going 7-8 with a 4.85 on six or more days of rest. Gio also has an unfortunate history with the Twins with a 2-3 record and 7.80 ERA in six career starts.

Pitching for Minnesota is veteran right-hander Kevin Correia (5-4, 4.09 ERA). The 32-year-old has faced the Nats 13 times in his career, including six starts, and holds a 3.33 ERA against the club.

Enjoy the game…

MINNESOTA TWINS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 4:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, WUSA-9, MLB Network, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 185
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 75 degrees

CF Denard Span
RF Jayson Werth
1B Adam LaRoche

1. Almazar80 - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:38 AM

2. baseballswami - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Whoa– what???? About time!

3. NatsLady - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:39 AM

4. NatsLady - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:40 AM

What happened to Clip's hand? I didn't see his inning, though apparently he walked a guy (shocking!) and made a sterling defense play.

5. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:42 AM

He got hit by a comebacker and then chased after the ball and threw the guy out. There was a man at third when that happened so he saved a run by doing so.

6. NatsLady - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Thanks, DP, didn't realize the comebacker hit him.

7. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Almazar80 said…It's amazing that there are people who believe that this team will win the division and go to the playoffs. All indicators are that they are a third place team or worse.I said 3 weeks ago they would lose 85… I now think 72-90…the key is, how do they respond in 2014

8. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Philly 1 up on Nats, Nats 7.5 back of Braves…. are you freaking joking? Nats will be 10 plus back by June 20

9. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Davey said he might have a chat with the players tomorrow. Felt they played lackadaisically today. "I’m getting my dander up."this is interesting and it should tell one that these players have no HEART if they came into an urgent situation at HOME lackadaisically

10. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:04 AM

speaking of the offense only…other than Harper and Werth, they are a bunch of nice young men who just do not know how to win

11. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:05 AM

and as Leo Durocher said so accurately… nice guys finish last, which is where this squad is headed

12. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Just finished dinner. Mick they won Tuesday 3-2 as I recall. Lost Wednesday 10-1. That was the last game they played. It is 2 now not coming into foday.

13. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Manassas Nats' Fan OK, then 7

14. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:09 AM

15. baseballswami - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:09 AM

They do seem rather lost right now. Talented guys- we have seen it. But definitely not firing on all cylinders. Tough times. I have been a baseball fan for many , many years. Most of my teams have not been all that great consistently. But it has not usually been the case where the talent was there and just not performing well. We are definitely in the category of the Angels, Dodgers and Blue Jays right now. Things that make you go " huh?".

16. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:13 AM

I bet it will 8 and maybe even 10 after the CO series. Thiss lackidasical comment from Davey should be a red flag to all kool aide drinkers who attack other posters simply posting the truth, more importantly it should be red flag for Rizzo and the LernersDavey is saying that these kids have no heart and I think some of them have quit. In fact, go yell at Davey, not me… even the manager agrees with me and Wasian man

17. baseballswami - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:14 AM

If I could ask each guy for one thing it would be this– make yourself very, very difficult to get out. Make the pitcher struggle mightily hitter after hitter so that he is frustrated beyond belief. Then if you make an out, oh, well- but make it tough so that he knows you were there and you left him a little bit diminished.

18. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:15 AM

baseballswami exactly and swinging at the first pitch defeats that purpose and shows no confidence. Eck is 50% to blame

19. SCNatsFan - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:16 AM

I wish I was one of he posters who is still seeing positive things in these losses to mediocre teams and journeyman pitchers

20. baseballswami - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Anyone know how to share Mark's appendix cartoon? What a guy!

21. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Mark is the man

22. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:22 AM

can we hit 500 post, whats the record any way?

23. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Swami, you mean this one?

24. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:24 AM

sofa LOL

25. SCNatsFan - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:28 AM

In a sea of bad news Mark doing well is the most important good news

26. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:29 AM

SCNatsFan said…In a sea of bad news Mark doing well is the most important good newsat the end of the day, that is all that matters

27. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Bottom line the team's best hitter has missed 17 amesIf we had same wiining percentage fo 60 games = to the 43 games Harper has played the record is 35-25 1.5 behind Braves.Second problem only players whose average is at or slightly above career average is Span and Limbo.So with sub average performances and 1/3 of the season Harperless it is amazing only 2 below.If Harper returns soon and hitters get back to career average first place is tgere for the taking.Some believe the hitters will not play to their average so to the 4th place is where we will end.I refuse to believe everyone will continue under career average (though a few will, odds are half should be above)Harper's return is just as important

28. baseballswami - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Yes, that is the link! I cannot believe he had the awesomeness to post something funny!! Det pitched today- that is good news, too. And SCNats Fan?? I can usually find something positive in any situation. I would be depressed all the time if I couldn't. Sometimes these days I really have to search, though!!!

29. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:52 AM

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

30. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Nats jack do you know if 26th man for double header has to be a pitcher?Bring up Corey Brown as Span might not go.

31. Candide - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Out of town, so only saw the game unfolding on AtBat Lite.In eleven innings, this team did not get ONE SINGLE WALK???WTF? I mean, WTFingF???

32. baseballswami - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:09 AM

In order to walk, you have to see at least four pitches. Since the hitters did not wait that long, of course they did not walk. Gio walked four, Stammen, maybe Clip one? I think seven . Sound good then? Seven to none? Ok, then.

33. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:10 AM

Has to be a pitcher. And a starter.

34. baseballswami - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Meanwhile our single A Potomac Nationals are on the brink of winning ten in a row. Call them all up!!!

35. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Listening to Sirrius Radio "The Bridge". Channel 32. Highly recommend it.

36. sjm308 - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Tough loss. Did get to say hi to 222 early in the game. Just putting things in perspective. Had a great afternoon with my son, his wife and the grand kid at Yards park before the game. He just turned 6 months and is doing all the things a 6 mo. should. We head to the game, daughter-in-law & kid head for home. We get a call in the 3rd inning she has been hit by a lady running a red light. Her car is hit right in the rear door where the kid is. Thank god for car seats!! Everyone ok, shook up, scared but ok. Cops & emt's did great work. So Mick, bitch all you want about a stupid baseball game but you just continue to look even stupider the more you post. I will enjoy life and my kids and my grand kids and baseball but you bitch away.

37. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:14 AM

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

38. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:15 AM

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

39. sjm308 - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:15 AM

NatsJack I like that and outlaw country on channel 60!

40. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:16 AM

sjm308 so what exactly was stupid that i posted and not fact based?

41. sjm308 - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Mick – wonder how our servicemen who are out there protecting us (with tattoos) would feel about that??

42. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:19 AM

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

43. E - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:20 AM

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

44. Mark Zuckerman - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Hi everyone,First of all, thank you so much for all the kind words and well-wishes today. Can't say this is how I expected to spend my Saturday, but all things considered, it really wasn't too bad.I woke up yesterday with really bad abdominal pain, and it got worse over the course of the day, eventually moving toward my right side. I also was really nauseous, which was another obvious symptom. Went to the ER around 9 p.m. and had the appendicitis confirmed around midnight. Spent the night there and then had surgery at 8 a.m. Twelve hours later, I was back home. The incision point is sore, but overall it's really not that bad at all. No DL stint for me, but I will be taking a few more days off. I wasn't scheduled to make the upcoming trip to Colorado and Cleveland, so that timing actually worked out well. Hoping I'll be good to go to Philly next Monday for the final leg of the road trip.Now, as for what's been going on here (not only today but over several weeks now) … I'm beyond fed up with the way some of you have been lobbing personal, insensitive and in a few cases highly objectionable insults at others. There is no place for any of that on this or any other blog, and it's incredibly sad to me that this has become a nightly occurrence here, not to mention a trend that has caused some of our most-loyal and well-liked members to stop visiting the site.Even when I'm 100 percent healthy, it's nearly impossible for me to keep up with every single comment posted, especially in the game threads given the high number of comments and the fact I'm, you know, covering the game while that's all going on. So in many ways, I have to trust you all to keep things civil and police things on your own.That said, if you ever see someone post something inappropriate, please don't hesitate to send me an email (mzuckerman@comcastsportsnet.com) with the name and time stamp of the offensive comment, and I'll make every effort to delete it ASAP.I also recently have installed some software that allows me to ban a particular IP address (ie. internet connection) from accessing the site. It's not foolproof, and it can be difficult sometimes to identify the correct IP address, but it's a step I'm willing to take if anyone consistently takes things too far. (And believe me, a handful of you have been pushing the boundaries.)I would sincerely hope this prompts some of you to reevaluate what you've been posting on this blog. If you want to be negative, that's your prerogative. Nobody's saying it should be all sunshine and roses, especially with a team that's obviously underachieving. But there's never any excuse for posting insulting and/or offensive remarks about other posters, myself or anybody else.Thanks for your cooperation with this, and thanks again for all the kind words today. I'll leave you on a lighter note, with this video link of an appendectomy that didn't go down quite the same way mine did…https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYih6KeTWEk

45. sjm308 - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:20 AM

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

46. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:21 AM

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

47. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:22 AM

Mick it is really your attitude that is negative and you basically come out sounding lije you are rooting against the team. All of us have conments tgroughout, but we also gave positive comments when warrented and we sound like are cheering for success. You sound like a hater not a lover.My mom taught me 60 years ago never be a hater. I make 1 xcption Eck

48. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:22 AM

sjmso you cherry pick my post, OK you can do what you want but it is not honest

49. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Mets DFA'd Rick Ankiel

50. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:24 AM

Manassas Nats' FanOK…there are so many other posters in here who post so called negative comments…why are you singling me out…I will not tolerate that crap!!!

51. sjm308 - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:24 AM

Mark has already eliminated your post but you said, "anyone with a tattoo". Etc etc you didn't exclude anyone. Again – a stupid comment

52. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:24 AM

No attack here mick. I just know what losers sound like and you really do your best trying to sound like one.And it took over 65 years to determine that I could get a tattoo of someting I knew would never change in my lifetime. I have no problem with personal commitment.

53. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:25 AM

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

54. baseballswami - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:25 AM

How sad that Mark has to step in after surgery to clean up a mess. I am embarassed by this. It's a game. Get a grip.

55. sjm308 - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:26 AM

Sorry mark, I will reel it in but I just dislike comment after comment trashing our team.

56. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:27 AM

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

57. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:29 AM

@Candide. We only had 4 3 ball counts. Rendon should have walked, but ump called a strike 3 on a ball 4. That would have been 1 walk. Not good batting

58. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:29 AM

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

59. NatsLady - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:36 AM

Mark, first, thank goodness, or God, or whatever, that you came through it OK!!! Second, I apologize if I have been the cause of any distress. I do my best to ignore the objectionable posters but sometimes it gets to be too much. Last night, very late, when there was no Nats game, a few of us were conversing about things in a placid and productive way–it was a pleasure. Sometimes in the mornings, also, there are discussions that are civil and I learn a lot. But the game threads and the "Instant analysis" threads are almost unreadable, especially after a loss. I keep promising myself I won't participate, and keep regretting it if I do. Thanks again for your excellent work, and get well soon!

60. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:37 AM

Sorry, Mark. It shames me to have a comment deleted by you guys, but I understand.

61. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:41 AM

Clearly, I've failed as a civility coach.

62. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:42 AM

I ditto sjm.Some plats are negative plays but it is our team, some always trashing the teams chances etc. Dies ititate almost all of us. We want tge doom and gloomcrowd to live not to hate.Irry Mark.I do blieve there is no reason this cabt win it all

63. sjm308 - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:46 AM

Thanks Manassas – I am not happy with our lads, who can be, but I will not trash them or the manager, or GM post after post, day after day. Looks like good news on Strasburg and hopefully Harper will be the miracle exam from Dr. Doom and not need surgery. EmDash or another poster talked about lowering expectations and that is easier said then done but I went to todays game with the idea I would be watching two major league teams play my favorite sport. I got 3 innings in, saw Werth go deep and ended the day with a healthy family (and a pretty dented up car). Life is good!!

64. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:47 AM

To Mark, I sincerely apologize if I in anyway contributed to the lack of civility around here. In news:Adam Kilgore ‏@AdamKilgoreWP 24sHearing 1B Chris Marrero is coming up tomorrow for the Nats doubleheader. Not sure if he's simply the 26th man or if there's more.Interesting.

65. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:49 AM

Adam Kilgore ‏@AdamKilgoreWP 16sIt also sounds like Chris Marrero will be with the Nats for more than just tomorrow.HMMMM. Tracy gone? Moore sent down? Has to be one of those two.

66. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:49 AM

WOW another close loss. Then again I checked their record in one run games and it is 10-5. This season has been tough one way or the other.

67. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:51 AM

David, that's interesting. You'd think it would have to be for Tyler Moore or Chad Tracy but who knows.

68. NatsLady - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:51 AM

That is interesting, DP. Some predicted Marrero wouldn't ever wear a Nats uni in 2013, and I admit, I thought he would be a trade chip. I wonder if Davey has gotten tired of Moore or Tracy. Anyway, congrats to Chris M., who, like Nate Karns, has worked his way back from injury!

69. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:53 AM

I'm quite confused as to why Marrero is the callup and not Brown, if Moore is the one being replaced. Leads me to believe Tracy is the guy being sent out, since he's solely an infield guy.

70. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:53 AM

Maybe Nats Jack was wrong I thought we needed anotger outfiekder and Msrrero can't play there.Nsts jack though only a Starting pitcher can come up.

71. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:54 AM

MNF, Kilgore is saying Marrero is going to stick around. Would mean he's not necessarily the 26th man.

72. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:55 AM

I wish they would improve the cell signals at the park. I couldn't get any tweets out until I got out of the ballpark. Couldn't check NI either at the park and as I have read backwards a little bit that was probably a good thing.

73. ehay2k - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:56 AM

Nats lose to yet another back-of-the-rotation soft tosser. What else is new? It would be fine if this was once in a while, but it's not. Our batters do not know how to approach a guy who mainly throws junk. Davey can stand behind Eck all he wants, but years of crappy results tells me that a change is needed. I still stand on the assertion that if a player has to go outside the organization to fix his swing, then the organization is failing. And this is not the first time – remember Morse got his Cobra Pose from Ichiro. I will stop calling for Eck's job. But i will plead for the Nats to please fix the lack of proper hitting preparation.

74. Exposremains - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:56 AM

Tracy has been hitting a lot of pop ups in between shallow center and right field. Its time. He had a good run.

75. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:56 AM

Can a doubleheader 26th man be any player or does it have to be a starting pitcher?

76. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:57 AM

I think you can also make a roster move between games.

77. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:01 AM

Gonats cell service better here the PNC Park which is terrible.Nats Jack said it had to be a starter.Maybe marrero taking Moire's spot.

78. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:01 AM

Marerro may mean Tracy is gone. He can't be the 26th man for a twin bill.

79. sjm308 - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:01 AM

NatsJack posted earlier that the 26th man had to be a pitcher so I am guessing that it is Tracy who is the odd man out. Rendon is capable of playing all 3 infield positions, as is Lombo in a pinch. Tracy has, I think, just 4 pinch hits this year and they have to keep trying to dig out of this hole. I wish Marrero luck and I do remember Davey liking him a bunch when he was brought up one year only to see him hurt.

80. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:02 AM

I think you owe me SJM.

81. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:04 AM

It could mean Tyler Moore.

82. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:04 AM

I thought it had to be a starter but then Kilgore's tweet seems to say Marrero could be a 26th man:Adam Kilgore‏@AdamKilgoreWP19m Hearing 1B Chris Marrero is coming up tomorrow for the Nats doubleheader. Not sure if he's simply the 26th man or if there's more.

83. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:05 AM

Phillies are also under .500 so they are in second not because they are playing well but we are playing worse than them. If you don't think that this team is better than it is doing on the field right now, I don't know what to tell you. Let's just keep supporting them and see where they go from here I guess.

84. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:05 AM

Or the guy we may never see, Kobernus.

85. SonnyG10 - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:05 AM

Marrero is a right handed batter, is he not? I would think he would replace a right handed batter, probably Moore. I think T-Mo could use the at bats in AAA.

86. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:05 AM

I feel bad for Tracy if it is indeed him. It's probably the end of the line for him in the majors. I do think he was a good mentor to those bench guys even if the results weren't there. But it's a business and he wasn't producing so it needs to be done.

87. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:07 AM

I'm thinking it's TyMo (righty/righty) but like I said earlier it's either TyMo or Chad.Both have received their opportunities.

88. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:10 AM

Could also be as simple as Kobernus who doesn't get used.

89. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:11 AM

I hope it's Tracy. With Moore, I at least think there's a possibility of him hitting a home run. With Tracy, I know it's basically an automatic out or AT BEST a bloop single.

90. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:11 AM

Look how much better the Twins pinch hitters did today.

91. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:11 AM

Good point Gonat about Kobernus. That might be most likely.

92. SonnyG10 - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:11 AM

Faraz Shaikh said…… Let's just keep supporting them and see where they go from here I guess.June 08, 2013 11:05 PMI'm with you on this, Faraz! Hold the fort guys until the cavalry comes (gets well)

93. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:13 AM

94. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:17 AM

Farez look at my comment from 935 explains how we will the division .

95. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:18 AM

Chad Tracy's OPS+ is 9 this year. For context, last year it was 112. League average is 100.

96. Nats106 - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:20 AM

Wow-too many posts here to even try to catch up. At the game today-first and last time I will be at one of the concert series games. It brings the real characters in DC out to the park.Twins should have one that game 2 innings earlier. If ever I saw a former good manager turned bad (like Johnson) it was Gardenhire this afternoon. Runner at 1st (with speed) 0 outs and instead of a sac bunt, they had the hit and run on. All you long time Nats fans remember Jamey Carroll-when he needs to lay down a bunt, he does. Double play, but it's OK because this Nationals team is so weak that even cellar dwellers like the Twins get a 2nd chance to win. For myself and others that have been deluding ourselves thinking this team will be anything other than a 500 ballclub (maybe) it is time we woke up and smelled the coffee. It desperately needs Harper back and that might not be enough.

97. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:21 AM

Caps Fan, that is good info. Thanks for the link!

98. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:27 AM

Puig has a cannon arm!

99. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:33 AM

I'm watching Braves at Dodgers, and man, this Puig kid is the real deal. Great-looking ABs and just totally smoked the fast Andrelton Simmons trying to go first to third on a single to right, with a laser right on the money; Simmons was out by fifteen feet, easy, walking away with a "WTH just happened??" look.But Utley and Medlen (yes, the pitcher) have solo home runs, so it's 2-0 Barves, baja 5.

100. SonnyG10 - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:33 AM

Gonat said…It would be nice to bring up Brown and Marrero and send TyMo to AAA and Tracy to find Matt Stairs.June 08, 2013 11:13 PMI wouldn't be surprised to see that happen, gonat. I think Rizzo will keep trying things to snap the team out of this funk they're in.

101. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:33 AM

Sec 3, you mean Uggla and Medlen have the solo HRs.

102. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:34 AM

How come our Cuban the worse signed recently. As for the diuble play they did a hit and run ibstead. I couldn't believe Zim could get out at second since hitter was running.

103. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:36 AM

SonnyG10, it would also help for some consistency in the middle of the order with their bats and gloves.

104. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:38 AM

MarkI will let it go after this because frankly, it is not worth it, the double standard and all..but why is the below post not deleted? I never attacked this dude ONCE and below is his post, who is he or anyone to call some one a loser?NatsJack in Florida said…No attack here mick. I just know what losers sound like and you really do your best trying to sound like one.

105. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:39 AM

If you watched the Braves game in the 1st inning Andrelton Simmons got a hit and Heyward in the 2 hole tried to bunt him to 2nd and was lucky Fife couldn't throw a strike and he was walked. Justin Upton in the 3 hole then sacrificed both over. Yes, Justin Upton.

106. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:40 AM

Gonat, thank you, yes. I meant Uggla, of course. The Sofa regrets the error.

107. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:40 AM

Justin Upton has SERIOUSLY cooled off.

108. Section 222 - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:40 AM

Wow, what a throw by Puig. Sick!It was great to see sjm308 and his son at the park today. I wondered what happened to him when I turned around to look for him late in the game since I've never known him to abandon the Nats before the last out, and I'm very glad to hear his daughter in law and grandson are ok. That's scary, and certainly puts things in perspective.The game was disappointing to say the least. So many chances to take the lead. Span had some nice hits, but the two times he came up with a man on third he couldn't produce. Great to see that strong throw across the diamond from Zim. That was sure unexpected.At least our game didn't go 18 or 20 innings. Holy smokes!!I will admit I enjoyed the concert after the game more than I expected. Don't understand why more food stands didn't stay open after the game. They could have made a lot of money off of all the ravenous Nats fans roaming around looking for dinner. Tomorrow's a new day everyone.

109. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:42 AM

back to the hockey game

110. Joe Seamhead - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:43 AM

111. SonnyG10 - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:46 AM

I'm the holder of one of the rain checks from Friday, so I plan to be at the park tomorrow night. Looking for a couple of wins tomorrow.

112. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:48 AM

Section 222, we left before the concert ended and got some food a the McD's around the corner. We got on the GW Parkway and along comes Jayson Werth driving the Parkway in his Porsche next to us and then pulled in front of us and hit the gas pedal. My buddy video'd it. We were going a little fast…..

113. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:49 AM

As Janis Joplin once said, "It's all the same [AB] day, man."some things don't change

114. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:49 AM

Sonny I will be at game 1. I assume after tomorrow night we will be back at .500

115. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:52 AM

Joe Seamhead said… Wow. I have been cutting way back on posting. I think I really liked one of our regulars more when he was drinking, if in fact he actually quit. I don't get the anger. Man, come on. We're seriously banged up. Put in perspective. June 08, 2013 11:43 PM ____________________________________Yep, you are right it's perspective. Mick has to know that we all see the deficiencies and it's how you say it. The world isn't ending. This team will figure it out. Rendon for Espi was a good start. Team needs Harper and Ramos back and of course Stras and Det.

116. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:08 AM

Gonat, you need to upload that video! haha

117. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:14 AM

wow what a throw! reminds me of ichiro's throw against terence long in his first season here. well done puig!

118. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:14 AM

119. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:16 AM

David Proctor said… Gonat, you need to upload that video! haha June 09, 2013 12:08 AM _______________________________I will get him to send it to me. I wish the radio wasn't on as the hum of his engine was like music.Here's what it looks like although I'm sure his is a newer model:http://wot.motortrend.com/porsche-announces-faster-more-extreme-911-gt3-rs-with-450-horsepower-5772.html#axzz2VgmobCJS

120. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:19 AM

very exciting player. best wishes to this dude.MNF, saw your post. I am hoping the trip to Rockies will wake the lineup like last season. overall pitching can use some consistency.

121. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:22 AM

David Proctor, check this out, here's an actual pic of Jayson Werth's Porsche:http://www.natsenquirer.com/2012/03/jayson-werth-hit-truck-with-homerun-custom-porsche.html

122. SonnyG10 - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:30 AM

Can't wait to hear the results of Harp's visit with Dr. Monday. Sure hope we can get him back soonest. Even if the season is lost, I want to see respectability out of our team. Don't want the other teams to think we are pushovers.

123. SonnyG10 - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:37 AM

Good night folks. Long day of baseball watching tomorrow.

124. Section 222 - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:37 AM

Faraz, I thought of that exact throw. Wasn't Ichiro's in his first game as a Mariner? Similar distance, and both were on a fly too. Amazing.Gonat, very cool story about Werth and his Porsche. We managed to get food at the chicken and ribs stand (got the last order of chicken I think). But the tension as we waited in line and tried to sort out what was available and what was sold out was like the bottom of the 9th of tight game.

125. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:49 AM

Section 222, I was not sure so I checked it out. it was his 8th game of that season.here is a highlight for folks to refresh their memories: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rA0OVXpdLUI am using this video because this has the side way angle shows the exact location.I have noticed that his throws were much flatter before. like a strike, they would arrive at their targets.I realize that the guys he is throwing out, aren't the fastest runners but the throws are so sexy.It is tough to see him struggle these days.

126. NatsLady - Jun 9, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Thanks, Faraz. Someone should make up one of those for Ankiel–or maybe they did.Two games today. Not sure quite what to do in between… Denard Span said it right. We should be making hay off these No. 4-5 pitchers. Kershaw, Greinke, OK, you might squeak out a win. But we should be killing the Dillon Gee-types and we're not. Dan Haren has the highest HR rate (2.00 per 9) of all qualified pitchers, but I don't see how he doesn't pitch in Colorado. Just hope he has the great control that day and they don't put bat to ball. Guys, don't press. Play your game, get hits.

127. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 9, 2013 at 11:28 AM

So I stand corrected and thanks for the link. I've never seen a 26th man added when it wasn't for an added starter or at least a bull pen guy that freed up a starter.

128. baseballswami - Jun 9, 2013 at 11:51 AM

As for Moore- he did not bat today and so was not the goat. Who knows what's going on next? The regulars are just not putting it together so it's hard to blame the fringe guys. Seems like when they hit, it's in different innings and not all together. When we pitch, we don't hit and vice versa. We scored three, up from zero or one, but pitching could not hold it- defense? Puzzling. When some other teams struggle defensively, they come in early for extra infield. Just sayin. No one should be too good for that. We shall see what the new day brings on the field and up around here.

129. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I believe pitching would improve if they didn'think ever single pitch was a deal breaker.Meaning hitters need to wake up and hit like a playoff team and quit hitting like a 14th place team.Colrado woke them last year.