Game 60: Twins at Mets

Jun 8, 2013, 5:13 PM EDT

Photo by USA Today

Chase here posting the game thread today as Mark is actually recovering from getting his appendix removed. He had the procedure today and might need a few days. I am not able to attend the game today as well because of prior commitments, but I will be back on the beat tomorrow for the doubleheader.

After two games being postponed, Gio Gonzalez (3-3, 3.64 ERA) will finally take the mound for his first start since June 1. Throughout his career he has had trouble with extra time off, going 7-8 with a 4.85 on six or more days of rest. Gio also has an unfortunate history with the Twins with a 2-3 record and 7.80 ERA in six career starts.

Pitching for Minnesota is veteran right-hander Kevin Correia (5-4, 4.09 ERA). The 32-year-old has faced the Nats 13 times in his career, including six starts, and holds a 3.33 ERA against the club.

Enjoy the game…

MINNESOTA TWINS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 4:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, WUSA-9, MLB Network, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 185
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 75 degrees

CF Denard Span
RF Jayson Werth
1B Adam LaRoche

1. sometimesitrains - Jun 8, 2013 at 5:21 PM

if the Twins are at Mets, can we at least win one by default?

2. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 5:22 PM

That's the new strategy — it's the last thing they'll be expecting heh heh heh …

3. TexNat - Jun 8, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Impossible for the Nats to lose that matchup!

4. Doc - Jun 8, 2013 at 5:26 PM

I agree, let's fool the Twinkies and let them think that they'll be playing the Mets. Maybe even have our guys dress up in Mets' unis!

5. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 5:29 PM

But seriously, before we get started … Mark's in the hospital getting cut open, and Chase, bless him, has a hard enough time posting the correct teams to have to police this thing. Please don't post stuff you know is going to get nominated for a deep six. Just for a day or two, at least.Thanks.

6. NatsLady - Jun 8, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Got that hole in the lineup again, I see.

7. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 8, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Speedy recovery to Mark Zuckerman! And well said, Sec. 3.Following up earlier threads — and not that you should read too much into a couple of games — Aaron Voth lost a 1-0 game to a very good U. of Oregon team early in the NCAA season, then beat an exceptionally strong Oregon State team in late April (giving up three runs).Flying to Minneapolis today; too bad (for me) this series wasn't in the Twin Cities. Oh well.

8. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Cutting and pasting out of Word, probably.

9. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I agree. The very worst possible thing we can do is allow things to get nasty right now. No matter what, I am not going to snipe or insult, and I am going to ignore anything like that. Just scroll right on. At least Mark is not going to Dr. Andrews!!!

10. Doc - Jun 8, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Yeah you're right Sec.3. It was probably some of our previous dyspepsic posts that caused our mostly fearless leader to bust his gut–as it were.Get well MarkMeister, and eat lots of matzo!

11. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 5:39 PM

swami, I'm amazed he isn't already seeing Dr. Phil, after three years of this.

12. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 5:43 PM

LOL !!!!!!!!!

13. SonnyG10 - Jun 8, 2013 at 5:47 PM

NatsLady said…Got that hole in the lineup again, I see.June 08, 2013 1:34 PMTook me a moment NatsLady, but I finally get it, the hole between the fourth and fifth batters. :)

14. Gonat - Jun 8, 2013 at 5:48 PM

The Tweeter is full of Davey stuff

15. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Gonat, f'instance?

16. Gonat - Jun 8, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Harper swelling is down and Strasburg felt no pain after his bullpen.

17. NatsLady - Jun 8, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Conor Glassey ‏@conorglassey 5m#Nationals 14th-round #mlbdraft pick David Masters is the nephew of Jon Hamm.Mad Men? Guess that goes with Giolito–actors in the family.

18. waddu eye no - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:01 PM

get well mark z-man!

19. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:02 PM

I wonder if Clint Eastwood or maybe Kevin Costner or at least Lori Petty has a young relative worth scouting?

20. dcvelobrew - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Wow, Jamey Carroll leading off for the Twins! One of my all-time favorite ex-Nats. To think that we sold him to the Rockies for cash and he is STILL playing!

21. Gonat - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Get well soon MarkZ.

22. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Mark just tweeted that he is fine!! What a guy. I almost thought I heard the littlest hints of possible good news today about Stras and Harper. Could it be that they are really both getting back soon? Emotional boost for sure.

23. Laddie Blah Blah - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Sorry to hear about Mark, but there may be no more routine surgery around than that. He should be good to go in no time.Was thinking about the draft, and the Nats already have JZ as a stellar former no. 2 pick and Ian Desmond as an outstanding former no. 3 pick. Rizzo and all of Nats nation will be tickled pink if 2 guys like that emerge from this year's picks.

24. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:14 PM

I like the way they draft guys with natural ability but a need for finishing school. So odd to have our first pick sign so fast. Not something we are used to. I remember Storen signed and got going right away.

25. Section 222 - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:21 PM

26. NatsLady - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Mark brought his Tweeter with him to the hospital? That's dedication!!!

27. do1teach1 - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Our season, speaking from a competitive standpoint, ended with our 10-1 loss to the Mets. We are still going to win some games and have some nice evenings at Nats Park, but this team will not go to the post-season.That game was a perfect microcosm of everything that has gone wrong in the organization. I think the Nats are a case study in how to take a winning organization and turn it into a loser. If Rizzo took over Apple the company would be bankrupt in a year.If our Opening Day outfield were Worth, Harper (CF) and Morse, we would be in first place today. What did our leadoff hitter (Werth) bat last year? — .300. And how many steals does our leadoff have this year? 6. That ties Span for 40th place in steals in MLB. Rickey Henderson is getting nervous.After the 10-1 euthanasia, the Post pinned the loss on Haren. He left the game after 4, down 5-1. And every fan in the stadium knew the game was over. This team was not going to score 4 runs to tie the game in the next 5 innings. Haren must know if he left the game after 8 innings, down 2-1, the outcome would have been the same.The Nats are like the fat girl looking ahead to her high school reunion. She has 90 days until the event, and figures if she loses a pound a day, she’ll be at 150 pounds for the reunion. Nats fans are seeing fanciful projections of what the team needs to do to win 90 or 95 game, but like the girl, now a week before the reunion, having lost zero weight and thinking she’ll be okay if she just loses 20 pounds a day, the Nats have absolutely no chance of winning high percentages of games from here on in. What we saw in the 10-1 surrender was an entirely broken team.I read something in the Post after that game I couldn’t believe. Span said, correctly, that after the big, come-from-behind win the night before, he “expected to see more intensity” than the Nats had in the 10-1 collapse. Please try and remember a Nationals player having to say something like that last year. It’s unimaginable. It was just like reading the post-game interviews with Wizards players.For some reason I thought the Nats might be protected from the Redskins-offseason-hype-syndrome. But the Nats got hype fever and PR’d themselves into the ground. We were told we were the deepest and best team in baseball at catcher—so why is Solano on our team? Deeper at starting pitchers through every level of the organization—is Karns really evidence of this? Or starter Zach Duke? Best bench—all nonsense. Best bullpen—even as Rizzo destroyed it. The list goes on and on. Now we have post-game press conferences where we celebrate the new reliever phenom Davis—after ONE outing—and he promptly gets shelled next time out. Then it was Ian Krol—the bright spot of the loss. Back to the fat girl, it’s like her proudly telling her parents she didn’t have that 5th milkshake–that’s how important Davis and Krol really are in the big picture. In the 10-1 disaster’s post-game show, they celebrated Rendon making three routine plays on grounders—these were our VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS.The mismanagement of Harper’s injuries, combined with his randomized placement in corner outfield positions, was something hideous to watch. The young man was perfectly content in center field and said so. So what does Rizzo do? – Remove him from center. Then randomly put him in left or right, depending on that night’s need. And so he gets hurt—twice—playing right in unfamiliar parks. It is like watching the Taj Mahal defaced with indelible criminal clown graffiti.Something happened to the 2012 vibe. It is so entirely gone, so over, that, without irony, we sing Take On Me at the 7th inning stretch! Has anyone reflected on how pathetic that is? Burnett is gone, Kristina Akra is gone, Bo Porter is gone, and the fun is gone. Right before our eyes, Rizzo took a 98-win team and turned it into this.

28. Gonat - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Section 222 said… Mark's like Reagan cracking jokes in the hospital. Impressive. The Nats could use some good news today. I'm headed to the park and will look for 308 in, well, Section 308.______________________________I'm in Section 103 next to the bullpen in Row B Seats 1 to 6 with a bunch of NIers.

29. Gonat - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Next to their bullpen.

30. JaneB - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:39 PM

YIkes! Now MARK is on the DL, mend well!And GYFNG,

31. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:40 PM

do1teach1POTD!I hate to say…your post should re posted on about August 15 when the team is probably eliminated. we will get to most of the minor league players in September at least. I agree with you on Rizzo and whatever the Lerners decide to do with him, I am fine with. If he is back, let us see if he can right what he destroyed this season starting with putting in place a new medical staff and conditioning coaches and a solid managerThis would be the ideal time for the Nats to win all 3 this weekend and go 2 over 500 AT HOME!! If they lose this series….it is truly over in 2013

32. Drew - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:45 PM

I'm glad Mark's feeling better. Best wishes to Mark and Family Z. When someone asks about the scar, say "moray eel."

33. natsfan1a - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Now that's funny. Maybe check that all your joints are intact after the anesthesia wears off. Thanks for the game post, Chase.Mark Zuckerman @ZuckermanCSNThanks for well-wishes. Appendectomy went well. Maybe it was meds but could swear surgeon introduced self as Dr. James Andrews.

34. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Yeah, whatever on the post season thing. I don't know and neither do you. I will be watching today 's game . And tomorrow I will watch that one. Keeping it simple. Go Nats. Whatever the score I would like to see them play the game hard and fundamentally sound.

35. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:49 PM

do1teach1In terms of DC sports disasters, I would equate trading Morse on par with the following stupid moves made historically in DC sportsRedskins after the 1999 playoff season letting Brian Mitchell go. they sign washed up Jeff George and crap on future Super Bowl Champion QB Brad Johnson who played like an all pro in 1990Bullets trading Kevin Porter for Dave Bing after a 60 win season in 1975Obviously, the 1971 McClain dealI could on and on… the Haren deal showed me how bad the judgement of both Davey and Rizzo's are… this young man is lazy period, he does not prepare worth a darn for each outing, he looks uninterested out there and frankly he looks buzzed most of the time.

36. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:50 PM

meant 1999 on Johnson

37. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:53 PM

I thought we were on fix or ESPN today. So happy we are not!

38. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:53 PM

That would be. FOX.

39. natsfan1a - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Agreed.baseballswami said… I thought we were on fix or ESPN today. So happy we are not! June 08, 2013 2:53 PM

40. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:57 PM

I am with Swami.btw do you all know what Morse is doing with Ms? he isn't exactly having an MVP season that having him instead of Span would have put Nats in first place.

41. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:58 PM

I'm in Section 103 next to the bullpen in Row B Seats 1 to 6 with a bunch of NIers. SO I guess there's no chance of somebody helping me finish painting this bedroom today? Get well, Mark, we miss you.

42. natsfan1a - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:01 PM

I would, sec3, but I have to wash the cat. Some other time, perhaps.

43. Section 222 - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:02 PM

I hate to say…your post should re posted on about August 15 when the team is probably eliminated. It should also be reposted on Aug. 15 when the Nats are in a dogfight with the Braves for the NL East title, after Stras and Harper come back and they go on a tear. And I promise you, it will be.You're obviously entitled to your opinion, and you certainly have plenty of company here in your pessimism, but I doubt I was the only one who found the fat girl analogy offensive. That kind of nasty writing kind of reminds me of someone else who posts here. Yuck.

44. Section 222 - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:03 PM

I think we're one of the games on MLB network. No blackout implications.

45. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Seems like Mikey is doing ok but is dinged up on and off, here and there. Nothing major.

46. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Section 222 I did not post the fat girl… post for the record

47. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:04 PM

I was going to say Mark moved to the DL but when Mark comes back we will not option DFA Chase.Will be at the day game tomorrow ection 313Gio pitch great today.

48. Rabbit34 - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:08 PM

So, Gio has trouble with extra time off. Has trouble if it is a cloudy day and then the sun comes out, but only on Saturdays. The excuses for losing have already begun and the game hasn't started. But, why wait until after the game. These guys are just really bad.

49. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Nice try, 1A. But I've been told otherwise.

50. natsfan1a - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Eh, the sink was too small, anyway.

51. SonnyG10 - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:19 PM

do1teach1 and mick: Wow, that's quite a burdon you've been carrying around. Hope you feel a little bit better now.

52. EmDash - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Fat girl jokes! We're getting the exciting period where poor Mark will be unable to moderate off to an excellent start.This season will be no fun if we focus on whether and how they'll make the postseason, I think. Letting go of expectations has made things much more pleasant for me.

53. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Well, if the old Senators had been this awful, no one would be talking about how they remember so-and-so doing such-and-such. Kids won't learn baseball from or follow teams that don't win the World Series at least every other year–it's just no fun.

54. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:25 PM

EmDash, I agree. Life is much easier since I gave up hope.It took me years to realize that was what Yoda was talking about, with the "Do. Or do not. There is no 'try'."

55. Caps Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Do1overreact1, I don't think Rizzo had anything to do with Kristina Akra leaving.

56. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:27 PM

The sun is out and it's summer and there is baseball at Nat's Park. Good place to start.

57. SonnyG10 - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:30 PM

EmDash said…This season will be no fun if we focus on whether and how they'll make the postseason, I think. Letting go of expectations has made things much more pleasant for me.June 08, 2013 3:22 PMSame here EmDash. I let go of the expectations and I'm enjoying the season a lot more. Doesn't mean I don't root for them to go on a hot streak and make a run for the post season, but I'm not letting the Nats woes ruin my summer either.

58. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:30 PM

There are those of us love watching baseball. And there are those of us that love watching the Nats.And there are those of us that love the ebb and flow of any teams season.Then there are those that love to be miserable.I like associating with the first three. That fourth, not so much.

59. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Why do those who think we are so bad need to show up.I am assuming we will today 8-4

60. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:31 PM

And there are those of us with fat thumbs.

61. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:35 PM

"I spent ten bucks on this movie! If it doesn't win an Oscar, that money was wasted."

62. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:37 PM

And there are those of us with fat thumbs.Some of them quite surprised to see it, too

63. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:41 PM

I am the first two. Prefer coast to coast leading. As for the 4th i hate being misirble, but when hitters dont hit I find myself as misirble.

64. SCNatsFan - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Today might just be the day things start to click. Until they prove me wrong that's what I'm thinking.

65. JaneB - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Great post NatsJack. And yours of 3:35 made me snort wine,Sec 3. Hurts more than Diet Coke, as it happens. Dan Haren in not lazy. None of these guys are lazy, and that's just a fact. Whatever you want to say about them, "lazy" does not fit! But he IS dreamy, I will add that. And I know MicheleS agrees.

66. NatsLady - Jun 8, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Funny. I thought our season ended last year when I stood cold and miserable in the rain, and Fredi Gonzalez refused to let the umps call the game, and we blew a nine-run lead. Over, man, it was OH-VER.

67. NatsLady - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Actually, I didn't think the season was over, but I was pretty miserable and MAD at Davey!

68. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Interesting:Today, Johnson hinted that he felt he believed the plan to use Duke as the only lefty was doomed from the start.“I like it much better now than the way it set up earlier,” Johnson said. “At the major league level, you just have to have a strong left and right side of the bullpen. I like what those two youngsters have shown up here so far. It just takes the pressure off the right side of the bullpen. It’s unfortunate. We liked Zach Duke, but it’s unfortunate that it didn’t work out, turning from a starter to a reliever. But these two guys are more suited for that role than Zach Duke was.”

69. natsfan1a - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:54 PM

"Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is." — Bob FellerAlso, the game, or the season, is not over 'til it's over.

70. NatsLady - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Harvey left the Mets game with trainers. Came out for the 8th, threw a few warmup tosses and left. No word what happened.

71. NatsLady - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:57 PM

I hope Davey is just saying that to encourage the lefties. Because he was off traveling the world when Rizzo set up the bullpen. He gets on my nerves sometimes.

72. Knoxville Nat - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Harvey with some kind of lower back problem.

73. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Just saw Chelsea Desmond on the pre- game promoting the equipment drive. She is one special lady. No wonder Ian is so happy all the time! If you are going to the game tomorrow, bring something.

74. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Taking a mitt tomorrow

75. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Centerfield gate– 11:30- the third inning for the equipment drive. Also- you don't have to be going to the game, you can drop things off.

76. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Could've done without that double play Jayson…

77. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Werth's direction off meant to hit down the line.What a difference in the first. Gio 25 pitches Correia 9

78. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Our games are always so binary. 0000100010000. Lots of zeroes and a few ones. Would love to see some other numbers.

79. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Close, but an easy call. What the hell was ump looking at

80. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:30 PM

When was the last time Davey got tossed? It time?

81. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Nice feed by Rendon!

82. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:31 PM

The guy was just as safe the second time. Why call him out not safe like last guys.Just remembered how I hate umps

83. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Right David that is first time he fed second.

84. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:33 PM

So the kid can turn the DP! Now let's see some of that hitting.

85. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Why does Johnny Holliday call everything a line drive when it's clearly popped up?

86. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:34 PM

So I am noticing that the approaches at the plate have not improved with the days off.

87. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Zim throw on run good as usual

88. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Ian has always been a first pitch swinging type and I don't mind it usually. LaRoche got a pitch to hit but missed it, I think.

89. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Rendon! Good approach, take it the other way.

90. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Well, ok kid!

91. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Endon's approach fine, ball outside drive to right.

92. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:38 PM

David and I saw same thing

93. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:41 PM

First strike to Shark was inside, but the last strike quite hittable.37 pitches for Gio 24 for Korreia. Second inning not as bad as first.

94. UnkyD - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:43 PM

222@3:02….. Thank you, and Amen.

95. do1teach1 - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:46 PM

I didn't mean to give offense on this beautiful day, plus my computer-protection software is indicating my post got picked up by the NSA, so I do want to amend this paragraph:The Nats are like the (Reader Warning: metaphorical allusion ahead) overweight OAF looking ahead to a high school reunion. The (reader note: fictional) OAF has 90 days until the event, and figures if said OAF loses a pound a day, the non-actual being will be at 150 pounds for the reunion. Nats fans are seeing fanciful projections of what the team needs to do to win 90 or 95 game, but like the OAF, now a week before the reunion, having lost zero weight and thinking everything will be okay if the (reader reassurance: fictional character follows) OAF just loses 20 pounds a day, the Nats have absolutely no chance of winning high percentages of games from here on in. NO offense is intended to any oaf or oaves.

96. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Well I now whose posts to skip now…

97. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:50 PM

That inning is example of why Gio's pitch count gores up so fast.Irst 8 pitches quick and efficient, and then suddenly pitching all over and takes 8 more pitches to finish the inning.

98. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:50 PM

I like National League baseball, really I do, but these pitcher's duels are getting old. I feel like if the Nats score a run- anything at all– the angels will start singing and rainbows will appear over the stadium. Runs feel like tiny miracles.

99. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:52 PM

I hope not mine David.

100. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:54 PM

The runs are at a premium. Hitters need some guidanceabout how if you score more runs, your chances of winning much greater.

101. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:54 PM

And maybe, some day, a pitcher will have a bad day against us. It could happen.

102. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Not yours, MNF.

103. SCNatsFan - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:57 PM

I agree. Span has to go. Lead off hitter on with two outs has to try to steal.

104. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:57 PM

I think he got that one.

105. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:57 PM

JAYSON! Killed that.

106. RickH - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:57 PM

WERTH!!!

107. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:57 PM

That is better Jayson.

108. SCNatsFan - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Unless you can get Werth to hit a bomb

109. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:57 PM

I hear the angels!!!!

110. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Span stole the easy way

111. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Lead off hitter on with two outs has to try to steal. Tough break there, SCNF.

112. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Not trying to be biased or anything — is the strike zone a little inconsistent or are the guys looking for a gift?

113. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Zim off his hot streak? Was just above .300 now dropped to .274. Need to get backto the way he was up to the 3 homer game.

114. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:02 PM

That last one to Zim might have been outside, just judging by the tv.

115. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Strike zone seems about the same for both teams to me.

116. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:03 PM

There goes the real no hitter.

117. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:05 PM

LaRoche has to make that play. Not easy, but you need to do it.

118. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:05 PM

E-3 maybe on the first one, but HTF do you let Willingham score from first on that?

119. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:06 PM

That is a double play ball.

120. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:07 PM

LaRoche has let 4 grounders he should have fielded by him this home stand. Is he not healthy too?The Mets found the hole and kept hitting it tgere.This needed to be a shutdown inning. Already screwed up.

121. Exposremains - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:08 PM

STOP Nibbling

122. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Is McCatty waiting to late to come out again?

123. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Boooooooo. Cannot let them answer right away. Especially with miscues and error. BABIP hates us.

124. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:10 PM

How in the world are these balls getting through?

125. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Gio need Desi, ALR, et al to come out and slow him down.

126. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:10 PM

He is pulling a bad Stras screwing around after an error.Damn you Gio quit screwing around

127. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Keep it together, Gio. A ball off an infielder's glove, a ball through an infielder's legs, a walk and another ground ball, and he's tied again. Man.

128. Exposremains - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Really doesn't take much to rattle these pitchers

129. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Strike them out if you have to.

130. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Why are these balls getting through?? You have to admit that it's just weird. Now we need to score more runs. Need two outs first.

131. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:12 PM

This is NOT Gio's fault. He's gotten four outs already.Five.

132. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:12 PM

For being called good pitchers you are right, they do let errors bother them.High school pitchers have that problem and we have at least 2 pitchers who have same problem

133. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Manassas Nats' Fan said…Strike them out if you have to.June 08, 2013 5:11 PMHe heard you…

134. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Willingham's was just luck, off Zim's glove. Morneau hit a GIDP, and Dozier's was clean in the 5.5 hole because Zim was even with the bag, which is not unreasonable but it did cost them there.

135. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Yes, he has, but he has also walked a few already. He has to pick up his team now. They pick him up usually. He needs to bear down and get out ofthe inning.

136. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:14 PM

137. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:16 PM

I am starting to think the Nats need an exorcist instead of a new hitting coach.

138. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Johnny just all we need to know. correia averages 3 k every 9 innings and has 5 k in 10 out.That is the hitting approach we are talking about.

139. EmDash - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Granted, bottom of the order, but he pulled it back together eventually. Here's hoping be calms down back in the dugout. He probably will only be able to go 6, with a ceiling of 7, though.I know what the problem was, I was watching on channel 9. Never works out well. *g*

140. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:19 PM

The error not his fault, but like Stras he needs to bail fielders out and dudnt.I disagree. He got a ground ball–he can't control where it went. Then he struck out the next two guys. That's about all you can ask anybody.

141. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Anyone been watching the college ball? Some of those kids put together some smart, tough, at bats. I just do not understand what is happening. I find it very puzzling. Now I am just shameless and I want a pitcher to start walking us and serving up gopher balls. Just one game . I promise.

142. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:20 PM

That was inside to Rendon. Sigh.

143. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:21 PM

WHAT IS WITH the house-by-the-side-of-the-road with two strikes approach?? Gracious.

144. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:21 PM

I am guessing last pitch to Rendon looked inside.However now 6 k.

145. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:21 PM

146. Dan Strong - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:22 PM

That was an awful third strike call on Rendon.

147. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:23 PM

That was inside to Rendon. Sigh.And the one to Zim was probably outside. Lesson #3,284,109,202 in why it doesn't pay to have a better strike zone than the umpire.

148. BigCat - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Im not watching, but reading these posts it sounds like Eck's Marauders are flailing again

149. BigCat - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Just hard to watch our hitters anymore…..so I don't

150. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:24 PM

"At least the bullpen is rested. Soriano has not thrown a pitch in the month of June. Really. You can look it up."I suspect he'll pitch today no matter what. I know he doesn't like pitching "for work", but this is against an AL team he won't see again after this series.

151. Dan Strong - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Also, our guys like to treat these pitchers like young Roger Clemens.

152. EmDash - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:24 PM

They've adjusted from being too aggressive (going after first pitches, refusing to take a walk) to being more selective. They're just not identifying the pitches well. It's odd.

153. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:25 PM

This is so frustrating.

154. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Now THAT was a meatball.

155. Dan Strong - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Man… After a mistake this team just loves to sh*t the bed.

156. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Puzzling to be sure. Same guys as last season. Wow.

157. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Gio has always been prone to this throughout his career. The difference is we rarely saw it last year because the defense was so crisp.

158. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:30 PM

I thought that a home run. Bizarre camera angle.

159. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:30 PM

CANDYGRAM

160. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Did not move the runner.,

161. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Well Gio was given a lead and did not appreciate it too much did he.Back to my ALR point 4 balls have got by him this homstand. All were fiekdable all missed all cost us runs.Is he healthy or just a bad week.

162. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:33 PM

If Suzuki had, the the run would have scored. Now two outs.

163. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:33 PM

I think it's just a bad week. He's been hitting pretty well.

164. phil dunton - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Observation……since Ramos went down and Suzuki started catching every day, Suzuki has stopped hitting.

165. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Thanks Suzuki for nothing.Mauer a great play.

166. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:34 PM

167. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:35 PM

WOW. Now THAT was a great catch by Mauer.Now he's just showing off.

168. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:35 PM

169. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Second play by Mauer was Houdini like.

170. Dan Strong - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Yet another stranded…

171. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:39 PM

observations so far… Rendon has already justified playing ahead of Espi period.. grant it, teams do not have a book on him yet so that is why the rest of 2013 he should startwhat was Zim and ALR looking out on strike 3…pathetic at bats especially ALR after his error.Gio just is not mentally tough, his team gets 2 runs and verse a 26-31 team he blows it. Exception of J Zim, our pitchers are P—–s!!Roger who never hits, gets a lucky 2b and your lead off guy who should hit, whiffs ….2 mediocre teams playing, and we are the worst of the 2 that is realityvery sad From First to Worst

172. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:40 PM

hmm… I may have to get some First to Worst T-shirts printed up, by August, I could make a killing, lol

173. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:40 PM

174. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:41 PM

I had a play a little like that, catching with a guy on second, and the pitch is way wild outside on a lefty, so the runner on second takes off for third. I jump up and start to spin around to my left to go get it, and the ball hit a pole in the backstop and rebounded perfectly, straight into my right hand, a little above belt high. Nailed the runner at third, and he came off the field mad at ME for being so ridiculously lucky. Which was pretty funny.

175. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:42 PM

can not wait to read the excuses iin here, they are now a form of entertainment they are so comical"its early""its baseball""its 1 game""its injuries" (even though every other freaking MLB team has thembest excuse is simply: WE STINK

176. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:42 PM

The hitting approach kills the again Suzuki needs to advance runner and hits one ight to short. Boooooo.Gio flies iut Shark gets to third.Then the wild pitch some how Houdini caught it before it hit tge ground. Hundred times harder play than ALR' E-3 that should have been a double play.Why we dont have a winning record. Other teans out fiekd us . And we have terrible RISP.I thought Shark all the way as he didnt start fast early.

177. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Seems like we often have games where we have equal hits to the other team or more hits, but they have more runs. Another oddity I. This 2013 season. Now let's see how they handle a runner on second with no outs.

178. Dan Strong - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Let's see if the twins can pick up their leadoff double… My gut feeling is yes.

179. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:44 PM

We are playing stinkingly, i dont think we stink.That is why I am frustrated. If i thought we stunk, losing wouldn't bother me.

180. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Not the worst idea to walk this guy and setup the double play. Doubt he gives in though.

181. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:48 PM

You have got it right there. I know they are talented and hard working. Such an enigma. Watching them play badly hurts my heart. They do need to do the fundamentals better, though. Correct process until the results come.

182. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Johnny is an idiot

183. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Johnny Holliday is stupid.

184. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Uh, yeah, not a very stealthy pitch-out there, Johnny… Four in a row, in fact.

185. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:50 PM

A pitch out with 2 outs man on second with pitcher on deck. My god how stupid

186. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:51 PM

That is why I am frustrated. If i thought we stunk, losing wouldn't bother me. I'm tellin' ya, give up hope and just watch the games. The future doesn't exist, and nobody knows what will happen, especially in baseball, where nobody knows nothing.

187. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:51 PM

RISP. Twins 1 fir 6. Nats 0 for 4. The 1 is the difference in the game.

188. EmDash - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:51 PM

The RBI hit in the 4th was fluky, off Zimm' s glove. The Mauer homerun and the leadoff double seem like products of fatigue. I think mound presence is blinding people to the results and making it seem like a meltdown more than it is. Personally, I don't care how a guy's body language looks. It's about the results.Don't like the intentional walk there, but it worked…

189. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Now get the line moving

190. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Potomac Nationals ‏@PNats42 7sDetwiler has tossed 37 pitches, 24 for strikes. Potomac leads 4-1. Nationals scored four times in 1st frame. Detwiler has 3 K's going in 3rd

191. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I am really tired of the continuous pitch count tally. Carpenter does it somewhat. I can tell he has thrown a lot. Tell me once in a while , but otherwise can it.

192. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Ok Zim get me off your case

193. Dan Strong - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:54 PM

194. EmDash - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Zen and the art of watching baseball, sec 3. I like it. :)

195. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Swami I am the opposite I have sent MASN complaints I want it all the like lots if team do.

196. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Good news on Det!!! Now more of the same with the bats. Are we tipping our cap to the pitcher yet? He is just pitching a fantastic game. We are not helping him at all.

197. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:56 PM

RALR you owe us

198. Dan Strong - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:56 PM

How exactly has one of our aces thrown 114 pitches to 75 for the other guy?

199. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:58 PM

I believe opposing team starters have pitched good against us 80-85% of yhe time.We are the common donominator

200. EmDash - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:58 PM

I wish MASN showed the pitch count all game like a lot of channels, personally. It's a big part of modern baseball strategy.They're not saying anyone is warming up. Surely Gio's not coming out for the 7th right?

201. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Det news mixed 37 pitches in 2 innings not good. Healthy is good.

202. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:01 PM

I would be glad to have them show the pitch count. That way they would not waste so much time with " he has ninety pitches, now that was ninety one, ninety two. " argggggh. It's like baseball Sesame Street.

203. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Gio walked four – and that is on him.

204. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:03 PM

I don't think any of those walks scored though.

205. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Out of 30 teams we are 29th in run scored.Besides a new hitting coach, they nerd a run scoring coach.

206. EmDash - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Gio' s been wild, like he does, and the Twins were being patient and fouling stuff off. Nats are not doing those things.I hate to say they should look at the Cards' approach, but their way of mostly singling you to death is incredibly effective. Nats always seem to try to crush the ball.

207. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Mauer would've been out if Rendon could've handled that. Oh well.

208. SCNatsFan - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Maybe the Nats plan on winning by putting the other team asleep then sneaking up on them

209. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:06 PM

But the walks drove up his pitch count. I think his strike to ball ratio will probably not be good.

210. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Might have been out, FP thought safe. But nice to have known.Still mad at ALR his error would have been a double play.Johnny again an iduot. Says Aad did the job. He keft a man on second if he scores he did't do the job and Storen would ave done a terrible job.

211. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:11 PM

About time someone made a good defensive play.

212. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:11 PM

It is June Zim's shoulder is cured.Not hitters get serious.

213. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Now that was pretty.

214. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Gio 75 strikes 39 balls (4 intentional) Correia 57 strikes 27 balls about tge same ratio.

215. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Keep line moving.

216. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Now how about some execution?

217. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Take it for the team

218. EmDash - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:17 PM

A double to the opponent's best hitter followed by an easy out that doesn't move up the runner is a pretty okay outing, I think. And that was a great play by Zimm.Should Shark have bunted there? He just got a double…

219. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Suzuki needs to make up for his screw up lsst time.

220. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Swung at ball 2

221. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:19 PM

I'LL TAKE IT!

222. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:19 PM

223. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Some BABIP luck!!! So Suzuki gets the RBI, after he stops swinging for the fence.

224. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Now, don't let up!!

225. EmDash - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Whoo! Fluke luck run!

226. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Marlins mets in 15th Rangers jays in 18th

227. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:28 PM

We've got Werth, Zimmerman, LaRoche coming up in the 9th. Dare I speculate another walkoff?

228. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:29 PM

We are tied, so you might not want to bring that up right now.

229. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Good point…

230. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:30 PM

David Proctor said…"Roger who never hits, gets a lucky 2b and your lead off guy who should hit, whiffs …"Span is hitting .365 with RISP and 2 outs. He's not going to bat 1.000.I expect at least 1 of 2 and that RISP deals with few of the 29 wins in which the Nats were ahead, Span has NEVER had the winning hitSpan is not clutch period

231. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:30 PM

I hope they dont bat in the 8th. Hopefully they do a good enough job when they bat in tge 8th

232. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Oh it's the 8th inning. I'm dumb.

233. EmDash - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Throw strikes, goggles.

234. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:31 PM

No walks, Clip…

235. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Leadoff walk. Can't do that. Can't Can't Can't.

236. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Not as dumb as MASN producer. I wanted to know where Morneau was playing as I was thinking drag bunt, but never knew where he was.Damn Clippard walks lead off batter late. Number 1 sin of. Reliever. Then allows 160 hitter bunt. Poor pitching.

237. EmDash - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:35 PM

You can't judge someone's 'clutch' based on performance in one single game…

238. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Wow Clippard. He's thrown more wild pitches this year than I can ever remember.

239. Exposremains - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:37 PM

As I said before, Clippard's act has gotten really old

240. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:37 PM

WIld pitch all about. Focus. Near the catchers spot is never a wild pitch. All this set up by opening walk.Need one more out.

241. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Kind of wish Drew would have come back in. He looked good.

242. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Holy crap. WHEW.

243. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Good play Clip

244. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:40 PM

wow lot of close games going on.

245. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:42 PM

And long ones.

246. EmDash - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Considering Clipp's high workload under the past regime, he's someone to watch for arm fatigue. Same as happened with some of the Braves' workhorses this year. The spike in walk rate is pretty concerning.Pretty amazing he managed to wiggle out of that. He always makes things a little too exciting…

247. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:44 PM

zim seeing ball poorly tonight.

248. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Clippard doesn't really have a spike in walk rate. He walked 41 in 2010, 26 in 2011, 29 in 2012 and is on pace for 33 this year.

249. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:46 PM

I have thought recently that Drew's pitches are starting to be back to filthy. Maybe if a guy comes out and looks really locked in, you bring him back out? You can have your next guy ready to come in. Close game– might not want to blow a reliever on one hitter. I wish we had more hitters face Drew today. Relievers have peaks and valleys. I would like to see them go with the hottest hand. We made that entirely too easy for their pitcher. That was our 2-3-4!!

250. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:48 PM

wow, those were great at bats by Werth and Zim…

251. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Neitger Clippard nor Storen look good coming back so not bringing either of them back is ok with me.

252. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:48 PM

my bad, i forgot, Nats are facing the BEST relief pitcher

253. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:49 PM

That was an interesting double play…

254. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:50 PM

That was a nice 5-6-3

255. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Great DP

256. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:50 PM

This makes me nervous. And Jhonny just jinxed us. And The last few outings, Drew's pitches have been very nasty. I am not at all confident right here. DP helps!!!!!

257. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:51 PM

that was a great DP

258. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Another nice play by Desmond, but Mauer did beat it. Of course, they owe the Nats a call over there.

259. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:53 PM

He was safe ump oeed us one from the second.Best part about asket ball refs, they do the make up calls.

260. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Uh oh…

261. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Soriano 0-2 count and lay one over the middle. Strike them out

262. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:57 PM

My heart…

263. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Willingham remember his coachibg from Eck and took one down the middle. Thanks Eck.

264. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:58 PM

OK, good job! Game was tied when he came in, it's tied when he left.As the aviators say, any landing you walk away from was a good landing.

265. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:58 PM

OK…Werth, Zim, ALR are not injured, nor is Desi… I would expect the beef of the batting order to manufacture at least 1 run verse this 26-31 team

266. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Rendon has more hits in 1 game than Espi has in a month

267. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Pretty sure Werth produced 2, Mick.

268. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Mick your wish was granted Werth has 2 RBI

269. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Come on! Who the heck will pitch if we don 't score!!!!

270. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:00 PM

I want to see Mauer do that behind-the-back thing again.

271. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Seriously- we have already used four relievers!

272. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:02 PM

talking about the 8th … the at bats were horrible, but I again, I forgot they were facing a hot goalie, I mean the best reliever, lol keep it coming guys, i love it

273. srj - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Will Soriano pitch the 10th?

274. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Swami, one thing I can guarantee you, and this should make you feel better–it won't be Henry or Duke.

275. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Weak.

276. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Looks like Craig Stammen coming in.

277. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:04 PM

I think we have a new winner in the "What have you done for me lately" sweepstakes.

278. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Davey is the best manager in MLB, he will figure it who will pitchLOL

279. EmDash - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Two games have gone 18 innings today already. What are the odds?

280. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:05 PM

C'mon, boys, I gotta go out and get more paint.

281. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Nevermind, Erik Davis.

282. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Eric Davis?? Thought it would be Stammen.

283. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Nats should have produced a run in 8th or 9th with the top of the order. god teams would have won this game by now. If Marlins were not in the East, Nats would finish last place hands down

284. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:07 PM

My guess is they're saving Stammen for Karns tomorrow.

285. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Mick- how on earth is Davey the best manager in baseball?

286. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:07 PM

who is this gem we got on the mound?

287. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:07 PM

That's cute, Davis is going with the slovenly look so we can tell him apart from Clippard.

288. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:08 PM

That's a play Rendon should make.

289. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:09 PM

baseballswami said…Mick- how on earth is Davey the best manager in baseball?uh…I was being VERY sarcastic to all the defenders of this sorry no account over rated team

290. E - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Mick – Knock off the constant LOL dude. Your takes are annoying, not funny.

291. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:09 PM

You can't save anything for the next day right now. You have to get a win sitting there waiting for you to take it.

292. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:09 PM

let me guess, Rizzo says Davis is the next Rivera, lol

293. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Davey likes to keep to the roles in the bullpen, so I don't think we'll see Stammen.

294. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Little Clip in.Rendon over dove it. Correct Danny would have that most likely. Part of the growing pains.

295. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Danny definitely would've had that, but he also wouldn't have scored the run to tie the game. It's the good with the bad.

296. Secret wasian man - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Team just can't hit. It's pathetic

297. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:13 PM

I will take Rendon over Espi PERIOD..not even an issue, Espi needs to be traded over the winter

298. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Johnny again at idiot. Little Clip does the job. When you leave a man on second 1 out you didnt do the job we needed.

299. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:14 PM

I have decided that the definition of the Nats is dysfunctional. They need therapy.

300. Secret wasian man - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:15 PM

This team always finds ways. Hurry up and lose it boys. We need to hear blues traveler and there one hit.

301. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:16 PM

302. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Harper is the only starter out…(I do count Espi as a starter) perhaps you can count Ramos as a starter but Suzuki is on par… why cant this squad hit….. NO EXCUSE They have to win it here in the 10th! If they have any heart left or urgency, they will win in the 10th

303. NatsLady - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:17 PM

I hope they didn't call someone up yet. They are into the 19th in NY. Who knows what we will need for the 26th guy…Good boys, Baby Clip (who was really nervous) and Krol, who looked cool.

304. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Those two young uns did just fine. And so did Rendon.

305. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:18 PM

David Proctor said…How about Ian Krol. If we're gonna always bash Davey for his bullpen management, we should give him credit today. he deserves the credit, Krol should have started the inning though

306. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Burning relievers, though. If we go longer we are toast.

307. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Things I wish I could un-see:Bo Jackson shilling for Performance Enhancing Drugs, viz., 5-Hour Energy drinks.

308. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:20 PM

baseballswami said…Burning relievers, though. If we go longer we are toast.which means that Nats starters tomorrow have to go at least 7 innings….not looking too good

309. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Now everyone tries for a home run. Very effective.

310. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:21 PM

JZimm will go 7. Karns…not so much.

311. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:21 PM

forgot about Zim, your right

312. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:21 PM

This is quite a pickle.

313. Secret wasian man - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:22 PM

It is just so disheartening that we are talking about minor leaguers. We should be talking about first place. Just a bad baseball team all the way around. The hitting on this team is woeful. It's not the injuries. It's not a slump. It's just a bad team. And a boring one at that. I mean does no one really think anybody going to get a hit a win this???? NO way

314. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Stammen getting loose. Looks like it's his game if they don't score here.

315. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Even worse at bats as the game goes on.

316. NatsLady - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:23 PM

and–they are into the 20th in NY.

317. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Secret wasian man… like I said.. with the exception of Harper, there are no injuries or excuses verse a very bad AL team

318. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Well the Mets did have that day off…and they are tied– at one.

319. NatsLady - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:24 PM

320. EmDash - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Pop ups are a sign of trying to kill the ball and not quite getting it, right?Gonna have to call up a long reliever with the extra roster slot for the DH tomorrow, I'd bet.

321. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Secret wasian man 20 innings Mets v Marlin 2 crappy teams, jut like here

322. NatsLady - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:25 PM

FP is funny. "If this one goes 20 Blues Traveler could break up."

323. Secret wasian man - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:25 PM

This game should have been put away in the 7 th. 1 run was bad

324. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:26 PM

If this goes 20, Blues Traveller can call it a Reunion Concert.

325. Secret wasian man - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Ah yes the man we have all been waiting for. Steal baby.

326. EmDash - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Mets: let Ankiel pitch!

327. NatsLady - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Shawn Marcum has thrown 98 pitches–7+ innings of shutout ball.

328. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:29 PM

If this goes 20, Blues Traveller could do songs from their next album.

329. Secret wasian man - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Werthless. It's not a slump. It's LOFT. Lack of f. N talent

330. NatsLady - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:30 PM

FP just noticed Span limping. I saw that when he went to first base. We don't need that.

331. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:31 PM

I was going to type he limp around first on single

332. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:32 PM

NatsLady said…Of course you have worse at-bats. The relievers are fresh and the hitters are tired. Duh.really, so explain to me why teams like the Braves, Cards and Yankees and O's, you no, the GOOD have no problem pounding the relievers of teams like the Twins??? again, only Harper is out… your defense of the Nats is just stunning, although funny

333. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Dadgum it. I gotta go to the large category-killer hardware store for more paint; my usual place is no longer available. That'll give you the blues. GYFNG!

334. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Stammen has been off lately. I hope that long pseudo-start against the Braves didn't mess with him.

335. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:33 PM

And Stammen has no idea where the zone is.

336. EmDash - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:34 PM

We'd have lost this game 3-1 without Werth's contributions…

337. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:34 PM

final will be 5-3 Twins

338. NatsLady - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:35 PM

mick, don't don't don't talk to me. EVER.

339. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:35 PM

so Davey is 1000% not 100% behind Eckstein…..

340. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:36 PM

will be amusing to hear what Norv Turner has to say after this loss.

341. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Stammn 2 games ago 12 up 12 down.Last game shajey. So lately is last game and this game.Why walk leadoff hitters. McCatty coach.Thanks Stammen leadoff walks scires

342. Dan Strong - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Ugggh.. This team is depressing.

343. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Wasian manwill the defenders of this nonsense give me any credit when the Nats lose this game 5-3 and when they lose 8 in row, which they will after the Rockies clobber them and the Twins win both tomorrow?

344. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Some of you get too much enjoyment out of the team failing. And trolling those of us who hope for success.

345. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:39 PM

346. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Hey the due ups are the same that were due up against Parnell…

347. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:40 PM

This is not over yet.But lead off walk goes against teaching of baseball 101Then k people after he screwed up. Limits damage, but he created the damage to start with.

348. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:41 PM

let see if the face of the franchise who is 0 for 4 today can step up.

349. EmDash - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:41 PM

McCatty is pretty obviously not coaching them to walk the leadoff guy. Stammen still seems tired after his last outing, and Clipp just missed on some pitches at first.

350. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:44 PM

way to go face of the franchise

351. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Taylor Jordan and a 4 hit shut out for Harrisburg. Told ya back in Spring Training.

352. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Obviously he doesnt but I see so fundlementally bad on all teams because coaches dont stress things. I know they are professional, but my principal reminds us little things all the time.Coaches probably dont ride like otger bosses.Thus i clai they arent coaching.

353. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:50 PM

no heart! Marlins and Mets have more heart than this group.. not blaming Rendon at all… like Wasian man said the so called super stars should have won this in the 8th or 9th… are super stars SUCK

354. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Mick your math is trrrible.how could they lose 8 in a row at the end of Colrado?

355. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Good at bat by Rendon. Hit it hard. Just to somebody. I'm sure Mick and SWM will now talk for hours about how awful this team is.

356. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:51 PM

welcome to 2010

357. EmDash - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Whatever happens, I'm going to hope they get better and support them if they don't, because my only other option is getting bitter or sad. People can trash the team if they want, it's just not actually productive either. Nothing we do actually changes anything, after all; the only thing being nasty accomplishes is making other people feel bad.

358. E - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Those two idiots should start there own blog.

359. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:52 PM

they drop 2 before today…3 with Twins and 3 with Co is 8

360. Joe Seamhead - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Damn it. Just damn it.

361. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:54 PM

"the only thing being nasty accomplishes is making other people feel bad."Bingo. And they get enjoyment out of that.

362. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:54 PM

363. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Had twin reliever walked Zim, he scored on Rendon's S if all hits were the same.However he doesn't violated the rule of walk leadoff man. Doesn't cost his team Stammen violates the rule and allows his team to lose.However real number 1 cause of loss was ALR his error instead of double play allws 2 run.

364. Unknown - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:56 PM

No heart, no win. Again.I'm done with this team.

365. Secret wasian man - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:56 PM

so the team stinks and you guys wanna put the blame on Mick and myself? Please. wakeup people. this team is awful. To all you fools who kept saying its early….. well we told you so. I am not proud to say I told you so. I want the team to win. But don't take your frustration out on me and Mick.

366. Dan Strong - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:57 PM

2-15 for our 3-4-5 hitters. We're not going to win with that production.

367. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:57 PM

368. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:58 PM

369. JaneB - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Boohoo.Well, from where I sit, Bryce;s TRUE WAR is, oh, about +12.Tomorrow is another day…albeit a day with two baseball games for us.

370. natsfan1a - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:00 AM

It was kinda funny though with the big guy holding that little bottle. What is it, like, one sip for him?Sec. 3, My Sofa said… Things I wish I could un-see: Bo Jackson shilling for Performance Enhancing Drugs, viz., 5-Hour Energy drinks. June 08, 2013 7:19 PM

371. baseballswami - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Guys, please chill. Mark had surgery today and could well be reading this. Please have some respect for him. It's a game, let it go.

372. JaneB - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:01 AM

I'm supporting them too. And I skip over the posts of people who don't. Advise more people to do the same.

373. Section 135 - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:03 AM

We can't win with Zim hitting the way he has. Without Bryce Zim needs to step up. Span was on base several times and only scored 1 time. Need better production from the heart of our lineup. Hate to say it but this isn't our year. In addition next year we need to get some better bats if we want to compete. We need to pray that Bryce isn't seriously hurt because he is the only dependable bat we have.

374. Secret wasian man - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Swami your right. some people react differently to what is going on. But the introverts on this site tend to post with the attitude they are better then others. We care just as much as everyone else.

375. DJB - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:06 AM

And how we are going to get more bats with two outrageous contracts to Zim and Werth. This franchise has no solution in the near term. All the reason Stras should never have been sat last year. Epic, franchise-defining mistake.

376. baseballswami - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Everyone cares in their own way from their own point of view. It's not a competition to see who cares more. The team is struggling mightily and it's tough to take. Very disappointing. It's certainly not the fault of anyone who posts here. It is what it is and I hope it gets better. But, who knows?

377. Section 135 - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Wonder what we could have gotten for Zim if we hadn't signed him to that awful albatross of a contract. His contract is way worse that Werths.

378. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:10 AM

We will the division, but would be nice if Davey would start demanding things instead of saying he frustrated.Chew some asses and lets play like we can.Way to passive for the way tgey are playing.Different goat every day now.Time to straighten up.

379. NatsLady - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Well, I do have my own blog. And I am going to write about all the positive things I saw in this game–which were many! If you don't like it, don't read it.

380. baseballswami - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Perhaps we could dial it back just a bit???

381. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Not sure why people calling people out.Just win an be done withvit. Simple silution.

382. DJB - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Look, Zim has never been a top-flight hitter. All the stats are above-average at best. He is what he is. He likes fastballs and can't hit junk. Because of his stance, you keep the ball to the outside. The only way for him to do damage is to groove fastballs.

383. NatsLady - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:16 AM

1a, don't worry about it. If I took a shot at anyone, it was swami, who wondered why the at-bats got worse in extra innings. It seems to me that if you keep bringing in fresh arms while the position players are tired from a game that is almost in its fourth hour–especially the infielders, who've been diving for balls, etc., it's no surprise. However, that means that your bench has to perform. Lombo and ESPECIALLY Tracy, I'm looking at you.

384. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:16 AM

"Because of his stance, you keep the ball to the outside."This garbage again? He hits the ball the other way just fine. I didn't see anybody saying this when he was hot.

385. baseballswami - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:17 AM

You know– I think Rendon can handle it !! Looks like he belongs. Abad I like, too soon for me to decide on Krol and Mini- Clip. Karns is a great kid, too – needs more seasoning, but looking like he will work out. The changes made this week were good and necessary. Now we watch and see. Long day of baseball tomorrow.

386. baseballswami - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:19 AM

And let's remember they all had two days off and will also have Monday. Rest should not be an issue. Storen faced one hitter, Krol two I think, Abad not much either.

387. DJB - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:19 AM

I'm getting so irritated looking at the "face of the franchise." I wish there was some way to get him in another uniform. As it appears, the only player we can trade is Bryce, the only good hitter on our team.

388. NatsLady - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:21 AM

DFB, that may be true about Zim. But "above-average" would have worked today. Gorzy is in his 4th inning in Milwaukee making a spot start. So annoying that because of Fox, can't watch the game, only listen and GameDay. Davey was excellent with the bullpen, no one got worn out, though Sori was definitely not sharp, hasn't pitched since May 31. Little Clip and Krol had are seeing what pressure means.

389. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Put down the bottle if you think the Nationals are, or should be, trading Bryce Harper.

390. baseballswami - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:22 AM

I think it's sad that've have only won four games when Bryce was not in the lineup. We should not be so dependent on any one person.

391. baseballswami - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Ankiel dfa- kind of sad.

392. NatsLady - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Rendon looked fine, agreed. Should have caught that ball but Lombo might not have gotten it either–and I'd sure rather have Rendon's offense full-time than Lombo's. If Rendon keeps up this level I will take off my "worry" button on him. Hopefully Harper will get good news and be able to come back soon, and we will have a line-up of regulars.

393. NatsLady - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Thanks, swami. Agree, feel bad for him.New York Mets ‏@Mets Prior to tomorrow's game, the #Mets will recall outfielder Kirk Nieuwenhuis from Las Vegas (AAA) and designate outfielder Rick Ankiel.It seems like he is only good for a few weeks. I suspect his health is not good (that is what I thought last year), and that may be why he starts off relatively well and then fades each time he gets another chance.

394. baseballswami - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Good to see Jayson go yard!! And I think I may have stopped pushing my worry button every time he chases a ball or runs. I truly believe the changes were a good start. Hope Det feels good when he wakes up. I wish people would stop worrying about how we are going to catch the Braves( The Phils???) and how we are going to win X number of games. It has to start with just one game. Things are not going to magically go back to the way they were last year. But I really do think things will get better than they are now.

395. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Adam Kilgore ‏@AdamKilgoreWP 11sDenard Span (right foot) and Tyler Clippard (left hand) both received X-rays. Both negative. Span could be down tomorrow.Because we needed more injuries!

396. baseballswami - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:36 AM

And now Span and Clip with negative ex rays- but obvious dings.

397. Exposremains - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:37 AM

I see a team that lacks confidence which is the opposite of last year. That lack of confidence leads to all the inconsistencies from most of the team. True, they are talented but second doubting yourself in a performance world will never give good results. I call it the game 5 syndrome.

398. NatsLady - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:37 AM

More bad news.Amanda Comak ‏@acomak 45sRT @rich_campbell: Denard Span fouled a ball of his right foot in 10th. X-rays showed no fracture, but he's very sore. Might not play tmrw.

399. baseballswami - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:37 AM

You beat me by one minute!!!

400. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Dan Kolko ‏@masnKolko 1mDavey said he might have a chat with the players tomorrow. Felt they played lackadaisically today. "I’m getting my dander up."Interesting.

401. Almazar80 - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:38 AM

402. baseballswami - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Whoa– what???? About time!

403. NatsLady - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:39 AM

404. NatsLady - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:40 AM

What happened to Clip's hand? I didn't see his inning, though apparently he walked a guy (shocking!) and made a sterling defense play.

405. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:42 AM

He got hit by a comebacker and then chased after the ball and threw the guy out. There was a man at third when that happened so he saved a run by doing so.

406. NatsLady - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Thanks, DP, didn't realize the comebacker hit him.

407. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Almazar80 said…It's amazing that there are people who believe that this team will win the division and go to the playoffs. All indicators are that they are a third place team or worse.I said 3 weeks ago they would lose 85… I now think 72-90…the key is, how do they respond in 2014

408. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Philly 1 up on Nats, Nats 7.5 back of Braves…. are you freaking joking? Nats will be 10 plus back by June 20

409. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Davey said he might have a chat with the players tomorrow. Felt they played lackadaisically today. "I’m getting my dander up."this is interesting and it should tell one that these players have no HEART if they came into an urgent situation at HOME lackadaisically

410. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:04 AM

speaking of the offense only…other than Harper and Werth, they are a bunch of nice young men who just do not know how to win

411. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:05 AM

and as Leo Durocher said so accurately… nice guys finish last, which is where this squad is headed

412. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Just finished dinner. Mick they won Tuesday 3-2 as I recall. Lost Wednesday 10-1. That was the last game they played. It is 2 now not coming into foday.

413. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Manassas Nats' Fan OK, then 7

414. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:09 AM

415. baseballswami - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:09 AM

They do seem rather lost right now. Talented guys- we have seen it. But definitely not firing on all cylinders. Tough times. I have been a baseball fan for many , many years. Most of my teams have not been all that great consistently. But it has not usually been the case where the talent was there and just not performing well. We are definitely in the category of the Angels, Dodgers and Blue Jays right now. Things that make you go " huh?".

416. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:13 AM

I bet it will 8 and maybe even 10 after the CO series. Thiss lackidasical comment from Davey should be a red flag to all kool aide drinkers who attack other posters simply posting the truth, more importantly it should be red flag for Rizzo and the LernersDavey is saying that these kids have no heart and I think some of them have quit. In fact, go yell at Davey, not me… even the manager agrees with me and Wasian man

417. baseballswami - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:14 AM

If I could ask each guy for one thing it would be this– make yourself very, very difficult to get out. Make the pitcher struggle mightily hitter after hitter so that he is frustrated beyond belief. Then if you make an out, oh, well- but make it tough so that he knows you were there and you left him a little bit diminished.

418. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:15 AM

baseballswami exactly and swinging at the first pitch defeats that purpose and shows no confidence. Eck is 50% to blame

419. SCNatsFan - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:16 AM

I wish I was one of he posters who is still seeing positive things in these losses to mediocre teams and journeyman pitchers

420. baseballswami - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Anyone know how to share Mark's appendix cartoon? What a guy!

421. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Mark is the man

422. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:22 AM

can we hit 500 post, whats the record any way?

423. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Swami, you mean this one?

424. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:24 AM

sofa LOL

425. SCNatsFan - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:28 AM

In a sea of bad news Mark doing well is the most important good news

426. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:29 AM

SCNatsFan said…In a sea of bad news Mark doing well is the most important good newsat the end of the day, that is all that matters

427. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Bottom line the team's best hitter has missed 17 amesIf we had same wiining percentage fo 60 games = to the 43 games Harper has played the record is 35-25 1.5 behind Braves.Second problem only players whose average is at or slightly above career average is Span and Limbo.So with sub average performances and 1/3 of the season Harperless it is amazing only 2 below.If Harper returns soon and hitters get back to career average first place is tgere for the taking.Some believe the hitters will not play to their average so to the 4th place is where we will end.I refuse to believe everyone will continue under career average (though a few will, odds are half should be above)Harper's return is just as important

428. baseballswami - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Yes, that is the link! I cannot believe he had the awesomeness to post something funny!! Det pitched today- that is good news, too. And SCNats Fan?? I can usually find something positive in any situation. I would be depressed all the time if I couldn't. Sometimes these days I really have to search, though!!!

429. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:52 AM

430. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Nats jack do you know if 26th man for double header has to be a pitcher?Bring up Corey Brown as Span might not go.

431. Candide - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Out of town, so only saw the game unfolding on AtBat Lite.In eleven innings, this team did not get ONE SINGLE WALK???WTF? I mean, WTFingF???

432. baseballswami - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:09 AM

In order to walk, you have to see at least four pitches. Since the hitters did not wait that long, of course they did not walk. Gio walked four, Stammen, maybe Clip one? I think seven . Sound good then? Seven to none? Ok, then.

433. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:10 AM

Has to be a pitcher. And a starter.

434. baseballswami - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Meanwhile our single A Potomac Nationals are on the brink of winning ten in a row. Call them all up!!!

435. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Listening to Sirrius Radio "The Bridge". Channel 32. Highly recommend it.

436. sjm308 - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Tough loss. Did get to say hi to 222 early in the game. Just putting things in perspective. Had a great afternoon with my son, his wife and the grand kid at Yards park before the game. He just turned 6 months and is doing all the things a 6 mo. should. We head to the game, daughter-in-law & kid head for home. We get a call in the 3rd inning she has been hit by a lady running a red light. Her car is hit right in the rear door where the kid is. Thank god for car seats!! Everyone ok, shook up, scared but ok. Cops & emt's did great work. So Mick, bitch all you want about a stupid baseball game but you just continue to look even stupider the more you post. I will enjoy life and my kids and my grand kids and baseball but you bitch away.

437. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:14 AM

438. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:15 AM

439. sjm308 - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:15 AM

NatsJack I like that and outlaw country on channel 60!

440. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:16 AM

sjm308 so what exactly was stupid that i posted and not fact based?

441. sjm308 - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Mick – wonder how our servicemen who are out there protecting us (with tattoos) would feel about that??

442. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:19 AM

443. E - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:20 AM

444. Mark Zuckerman - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Hi everyone,First of all, thank you so much for all the kind words and well-wishes today. Can't say this is how I expected to spend my Saturday, but all things considered, it really wasn't too bad.I woke up yesterday with really bad abdominal pain, and it got worse over the course of the day, eventually moving toward my right side. I also was really nauseous, which was another obvious symptom. Went to the ER around 9 p.m. and had the appendicitis confirmed around midnight. Spent the night there and then had surgery at 8 a.m. Twelve hours later, I was back home. The incision point is sore, but overall it's really not that bad at all. No DL stint for me, but I will be taking a few more days off. I wasn't scheduled to make the upcoming trip to Colorado and Cleveland, so that timing actually worked out well. Hoping I'll be good to go to Philly next Monday for the final leg of the road trip.Now, as for what's been going on here (not only today but over several weeks now) … I'm beyond fed up with the way some of you have been lobbing personal, insensitive and in a few cases highly objectionable insults at others. There is no place for any of that on this or any other blog, and it's incredibly sad to me that this has become a nightly occurrence here, not to mention a trend that has caused some of our most-loyal and well-liked members to stop visiting the site.Even when I'm 100 percent healthy, it's nearly impossible for me to keep up with every single comment posted, especially in the game threads given the high number of comments and the fact I'm, you know, covering the game while that's all going on. So in many ways, I have to trust you all to keep things civil and police things on your own.That said, if you ever see someone post something inappropriate, please don't hesitate to send me an email (mzuckerman@comcastsportsnet.com) with the name and time stamp of the offensive comment, and I'll make every effort to delete it ASAP.I also recently have installed some software that allows me to ban a particular IP address (ie. internet connection) from accessing the site. It's not foolproof, and it can be difficult sometimes to identify the correct IP address, but it's a step I'm willing to take if anyone consistently takes things too far. (And believe me, a handful of you have been pushing the boundaries.)I would sincerely hope this prompts some of you to reevaluate what you've been posting on this blog. If you want to be negative, that's your prerogative. Nobody's saying it should be all sunshine and roses, especially with a team that's obviously underachieving. But there's never any excuse for posting insulting and/or offensive remarks about other posters, myself or anybody else.Thanks for your cooperation with this, and thanks again for all the kind words today. I'll leave you on a lighter note, with this video link of an appendectomy that didn't go down quite the same way mine did…https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYih6KeTWEk

445. sjm308 - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:20 AM

446. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:21 AM

447. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:22 AM

Mick it is really your attitude that is negative and you basically come out sounding lije you are rooting against the team. All of us have conments tgroughout, but we also gave positive comments when warrented and we sound like are cheering for success. You sound like a hater not a lover.My mom taught me 60 years ago never be a hater. I make 1 xcption Eck

448. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:22 AM

sjmso you cherry pick my post, OK you can do what you want but it is not honest

449. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Mets DFA'd Rick Ankiel

450. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:24 AM

Manassas Nats' FanOK…there are so many other posters in here who post so called negative comments…why are you singling me out…I will not tolerate that crap!!!

451. sjm308 - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:24 AM

Mark has already eliminated your post but you said, "anyone with a tattoo". Etc etc you didn't exclude anyone. Again – a stupid comment

452. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:24 AM

No attack here mick. I just know what losers sound like and you really do your best trying to sound like one.And it took over 65 years to determine that I could get a tattoo of someting I knew would never change in my lifetime. I have no problem with personal commitment.

453. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:25 AM

454. baseballswami - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:25 AM

How sad that Mark has to step in after surgery to clean up a mess. I am embarassed by this. It's a game. Get a grip.

455. sjm308 - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:26 AM

Sorry mark, I will reel it in but I just dislike comment after comment trashing our team.

456. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:27 AM

457. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:29 AM

@Candide. We only had 4 3 ball counts. Rendon should have walked, but ump called a strike 3 on a ball 4. That would have been 1 walk. Not good batting

458. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:29 AM

459. NatsLady - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:36 AM

Mark, first, thank goodness, or God, or whatever, that you came through it OK!!! Second, I apologize if I have been the cause of any distress. I do my best to ignore the objectionable posters but sometimes it gets to be too much. Last night, very late, when there was no Nats game, a few of us were conversing about things in a placid and productive way–it was a pleasure. Sometimes in the mornings, also, there are discussions that are civil and I learn a lot. But the game threads and the "Instant analysis" threads are almost unreadable, especially after a loss. I keep promising myself I won't participate, and keep regretting it if I do. Thanks again for your excellent work, and get well soon!

460. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:37 AM

Sorry, Mark. It shames me to have a comment deleted by you guys, but I understand.

461. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:41 AM

Clearly, I've failed as a civility coach.

462. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:42 AM

I ditto sjm.Some plats are negative plays but it is our team, some always trashing the teams chances etc. Dies ititate almost all of us. We want tge doom and gloomcrowd to live not to hate.Irry Mark.I do blieve there is no reason this cabt win it all

463. sjm308 - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:46 AM

Thanks Manassas – I am not happy with our lads, who can be, but I will not trash them or the manager, or GM post after post, day after day. Looks like good news on Strasburg and hopefully Harper will be the miracle exam from Dr. Doom and not need surgery. EmDash or another poster talked about lowering expectations and that is easier said then done but I went to todays game with the idea I would be watching two major league teams play my favorite sport. I got 3 innings in, saw Werth go deep and ended the day with a healthy family (and a pretty dented up car). Life is good!!

464. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:47 AM

To Mark, I sincerely apologize if I in anyway contributed to the lack of civility around here. In news:Adam Kilgore ‏@AdamKilgoreWP 24sHearing 1B Chris Marrero is coming up tomorrow for the Nats doubleheader. Not sure if he's simply the 26th man or if there's more.Interesting.

465. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:49 AM

Adam Kilgore ‏@AdamKilgoreWP 16sIt also sounds like Chris Marrero will be with the Nats for more than just tomorrow.HMMMM. Tracy gone? Moore sent down? Has to be one of those two.

466. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:49 AM

WOW another close loss. Then again I checked their record in one run games and it is 10-5. This season has been tough one way or the other.

467. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:51 AM

David, that's interesting. You'd think it would have to be for Tyler Moore or Chad Tracy but who knows.

468. NatsLady - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:51 AM

That is interesting, DP. Some predicted Marrero wouldn't ever wear a Nats uni in 2013, and I admit, I thought he would be a trade chip. I wonder if Davey has gotten tired of Moore or Tracy. Anyway, congrats to Chris M., who, like Nate Karns, has worked his way back from injury!

469. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:53 AM

I'm quite confused as to why Marrero is the callup and not Brown, if Moore is the one being replaced. Leads me to believe Tracy is the guy being sent out, since he's solely an infield guy.

470. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:53 AM

Maybe Nats Jack was wrong I thought we needed anotger outfiekder and Msrrero can't play there.Nsts jack though only a Starting pitcher can come up.

471. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:54 AM

MNF, Kilgore is saying Marrero is going to stick around. Would mean he's not necessarily the 26th man.

472. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:55 AM

I wish they would improve the cell signals at the park. I couldn't get any tweets out until I got out of the ballpark. Couldn't check NI either at the park and as I have read backwards a little bit that was probably a good thing.

473. ehay2k - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:56 AM

Nats lose to yet another back-of-the-rotation soft tosser. What else is new? It would be fine if this was once in a while, but it's not. Our batters do not know how to approach a guy who mainly throws junk. Davey can stand behind Eck all he wants, but years of crappy results tells me that a change is needed. I still stand on the assertion that if a player has to go outside the organization to fix his swing, then the organization is failing. And this is not the first time – remember Morse got his Cobra Pose from Ichiro. I will stop calling for Eck's job. But i will plead for the Nats to please fix the lack of proper hitting preparation.

474. Exposremains - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:56 AM

Tracy has been hitting a lot of pop ups in between shallow center and right field. Its time. He had a good run.

475. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:56 AM

Can a doubleheader 26th man be any player or does it have to be a starting pitcher?

476. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:57 AM

I think you can also make a roster move between games.

477. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:01 AM

Gonats cell service better here the PNC Park which is terrible.Nats Jack said it had to be a starter.Maybe marrero taking Moire's spot.

478. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:01 AM

Marerro may mean Tracy is gone. He can't be the 26th man for a twin bill.

479. sjm308 - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:01 AM

NatsJack posted earlier that the 26th man had to be a pitcher so I am guessing that it is Tracy who is the odd man out. Rendon is capable of playing all 3 infield positions, as is Lombo in a pinch. Tracy has, I think, just 4 pinch hits this year and they have to keep trying to dig out of this hole. I wish Marrero luck and I do remember Davey liking him a bunch when he was brought up one year only to see him hurt.

480. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:02 AM

I think you owe me SJM.

481. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:04 AM

It could mean Tyler Moore.

482. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:04 AM

I thought it had to be a starter but then Kilgore's tweet seems to say Marrero could be a 26th man:Adam Kilgore‏@AdamKilgoreWP19m Hearing 1B Chris Marrero is coming up tomorrow for the Nats doubleheader. Not sure if he's simply the 26th man or if there's more.

483. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:05 AM

Phillies are also under .500 so they are in second not because they are playing well but we are playing worse than them. If you don't think that this team is better than it is doing on the field right now, I don't know what to tell you. Let's just keep supporting them and see where they go from here I guess.

484. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:05 AM

Or the guy we may never see, Kobernus.

485. SonnyG10 - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:05 AM

Marrero is a right handed batter, is he not? I would think he would replace a right handed batter, probably Moore. I think T-Mo could use the at bats in AAA.

486. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:05 AM

I feel bad for Tracy if it is indeed him. It's probably the end of the line for him in the majors. I do think he was a good mentor to those bench guys even if the results weren't there. But it's a business and he wasn't producing so it needs to be done.

487. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:07 AM

I'm thinking it's TyMo (righty/righty) but like I said earlier it's either TyMo or Chad.Both have received their opportunities.

488. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:10 AM

Could also be as simple as Kobernus who doesn't get used.

489. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:11 AM

I hope it's Tracy. With Moore, I at least think there's a possibility of him hitting a home run. With Tracy, I know it's basically an automatic out or AT BEST a bloop single.

490. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:11 AM

Look how much better the Twins pinch hitters did today.

491. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:11 AM

Good point Gonat about Kobernus. That might be most likely.

492. SonnyG10 - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:11 AM

Faraz Shaikh said…… Let's just keep supporting them and see where they go from here I guess.June 08, 2013 11:05 PMI'm with you on this, Faraz! Hold the fort guys until the cavalry comes (gets well)

493. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:13 AM

It would be nice to bring up Brown and Marrero and send TyMo to AAA and Tracy to find Matt Stairs.

494. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:17 AM

Farez look at my comment from 935 explains how we will the division .

495. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:18 AM

Chad Tracy's OPS+ is 9 this year. For context, last year it was 112. League average is 100.

496. Nats106 - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:20 AM

Wow-too many posts here to even try to catch up. At the game today-first and last time I will be at one of the concert series games. It brings the real characters in DC out to the park.Twins should have one that game 2 innings earlier. If ever I saw a former good manager turned bad (like Johnson) it was Gardenhire this afternoon. Runner at 1st (with speed) 0 outs and instead of a sac bunt, they had the hit and run on. All you long time Nats fans remember Jamey Carroll-when he needs to lay down a bunt, he does. Double play, but it's OK because this Nationals team is so weak that even cellar dwellers like the Twins get a 2nd chance to win. For myself and others that have been deluding ourselves thinking this team will be anything other than a 500 ballclub (maybe) it is time we woke up and smelled the coffee. It desperately needs Harper back and that might not be enough.

497. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:21 AM

Caps Fan, that is good info. Thanks for the link!

498. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:27 AM

Puig has a cannon arm!

499. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:33 AM

I'm watching Braves at Dodgers, and man, this Puig kid is the real deal. Great-looking ABs and just totally smoked the fast Andrelton Simmons trying to go first to third on a single to right, with a laser right on the money; Simmons was out by fifteen feet, easy, walking away with a "WTH just happened??" look.But Utley and Medlen (yes, the pitcher) have solo home runs, so it's 2-0 Barves, baja 5.