Game 60: Twins at Mets

Jun 8, 2013, 5:13 PM EST

Photo by USA Today

Chase here posting the game thread today as Mark is actually recovering from getting his appendix removed. He had the procedure today and might need a few days. I am not able to attend the game today as well because of prior commitments, but I will be back on the beat tomorrow for the doubleheader.

After two games being postponed, Gio Gonzalez (3-3, 3.64 ERA) will finally take the mound for his first start since June 1. Throughout his career he has had trouble with extra time off, going 7-8 with a 4.85 on six or more days of rest. Gio also has an unfortunate history with the Twins with a 2-3 record and 7.80 ERA in six career starts.

Pitching for Minnesota is veteran right-hander Kevin Correia (5-4, 4.09 ERA). The 32-year-old has faced the Nats 13 times in his career, including six starts, and holds a 3.33 ERA against the club.

Enjoy the game…

MINNESOTA TWINS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 4:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, WUSA-9, MLB Network, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 185
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 75 degrees

CF Denard Span
RF Jayson Werth
1B Adam LaRoche

1. sometimesitrains - Jun 8, 2013 at 5:21 PM

if the Twins are at Mets, can we at least win one by default?

2. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 5:22 PM

That's the new strategy — it's the last thing they'll be expecting heh heh heh …

3. TexNat - Jun 8, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Impossible for the Nats to lose that matchup!

4. Doc - Jun 8, 2013 at 5:26 PM

I agree, let's fool the Twinkies and let them think that they'll be playing the Mets. Maybe even have our guys dress up in Mets' unis!

5. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 5:29 PM

But seriously, before we get started … Mark's in the hospital getting cut open, and Chase, bless him, has a hard enough time posting the correct teams to have to police this thing. Please don't post stuff you know is going to get nominated for a deep six. Just for a day or two, at least.Thanks.

6. NatsLady - Jun 8, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Got that hole in the lineup again, I see.

7. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 8, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Speedy recovery to Mark Zuckerman! And well said, Sec. 3.Following up earlier threads — and not that you should read too much into a couple of games — Aaron Voth lost a 1-0 game to a very good U. of Oregon team early in the NCAA season, then beat an exceptionally strong Oregon State team in late April (giving up three runs).Flying to Minneapolis today; too bad (for me) this series wasn't in the Twin Cities. Oh well.

8. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Cutting and pasting out of Word, probably.

9. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I agree. The very worst possible thing we can do is allow things to get nasty right now. No matter what, I am not going to snipe or insult, and I am going to ignore anything like that. Just scroll right on. At least Mark is not going to Dr. Andrews!!!

10. Doc - Jun 8, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Yeah you're right Sec.3. It was probably some of our previous dyspepsic posts that caused our mostly fearless leader to bust his gut–as it were.Get well MarkMeister, and eat lots of matzo!

11. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 5:39 PM

swami, I'm amazed he isn't already seeing Dr. Phil, after three years of this.

12. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 5:43 PM

LOL !!!!!!!!!

13. SonnyG10 - Jun 8, 2013 at 5:47 PM

NatsLady said…Got that hole in the lineup again, I see.June 08, 2013 1:34 PMTook me a moment NatsLady, but I finally get it, the hole between the fourth and fifth batters. :)

14. Gonat - Jun 8, 2013 at 5:48 PM

The Tweeter is full of Davey stuff

15. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Gonat, f'instance?

16. Gonat - Jun 8, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Harper swelling is down and Strasburg felt no pain after his bullpen.

17. NatsLady - Jun 8, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Conor Glassey ‏@conorglassey 5m#Nationals 14th-round #mlbdraft pick David Masters is the nephew of Jon Hamm.Mad Men? Guess that goes with Giolito–actors in the family.

18. waddu eye no - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:01 PM

get well mark z-man!

19. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:02 PM

I wonder if Clint Eastwood or maybe Kevin Costner or at least Lori Petty has a young relative worth scouting?

20. dcvelobrew - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Wow, Jamey Carroll leading off for the Twins! One of my all-time favorite ex-Nats. To think that we sold him to the Rockies for cash and he is STILL playing!

21. Gonat - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Get well soon MarkZ.

22. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Mark just tweeted that he is fine!! What a guy. I almost thought I heard the littlest hints of possible good news today about Stras and Harper. Could it be that they are really both getting back soon? Emotional boost for sure.

23. Laddie Blah Blah - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Sorry to hear about Mark, but there may be no more routine surgery around than that. He should be good to go in no time.Was thinking about the draft, and the Nats already have JZ as a stellar former no. 2 pick and Ian Desmond as an outstanding former no. 3 pick. Rizzo and all of Nats nation will be tickled pink if 2 guys like that emerge from this year's picks.

24. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:14 PM

I like the way they draft guys with natural ability but a need for finishing school. So odd to have our first pick sign so fast. Not something we are used to. I remember Storen signed and got going right away.

25. Section 222 - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:21 PM

26. NatsLady - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Mark brought his Tweeter with him to the hospital? That's dedication!!!

27. do1teach1 - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Our season, speaking from a competitive standpoint, ended with our 10-1 loss to the Mets. We are still going to win some games and have some nice evenings at Nats Park, but this team will not go to the post-season.That game was a perfect microcosm of everything that has gone wrong in the organization. I think the Nats are a case study in how to take a winning organization and turn it into a loser. If Rizzo took over Apple the company would be bankrupt in a year.If our Opening Day outfield were Worth, Harper (CF) and Morse, we would be in first place today. What did our leadoff hitter (Werth) bat last year? — .300. And how many steals does our leadoff have this year? 6. That ties Span for 40th place in steals in MLB. Rickey Henderson is getting nervous.After the 10-1 euthanasia, the Post pinned the loss on Haren. He left the game after 4, down 5-1. And every fan in the stadium knew the game was over. This team was not going to score 4 runs to tie the game in the next 5 innings. Haren must know if he left the game after 8 innings, down 2-1, the outcome would have been the same.The Nats are like the fat girl looking ahead to her high school reunion. She has 90 days until the event, and figures if she loses a pound a day, she’ll be at 150 pounds for the reunion. Nats fans are seeing fanciful projections of what the team needs to do to win 90 or 95 game, but like the girl, now a week before the reunion, having lost zero weight and thinking she’ll be okay if she just loses 20 pounds a day, the Nats have absolutely no chance of winning high percentages of games from here on in. What we saw in the 10-1 surrender was an entirely broken team.I read something in the Post after that game I couldn’t believe. Span said, correctly, that after the big, come-from-behind win the night before, he “expected to see more intensity” than the Nats had in the 10-1 collapse. Please try and remember a Nationals player having to say something like that last year. It’s unimaginable. It was just like reading the post-game interviews with Wizards players.For some reason I thought the Nats might be protected from the Redskins-offseason-hype-syndrome. But the Nats got hype fever and PR’d themselves into the ground. We were told we were the deepest and best team in baseball at catcher—so why is Solano on our team? Deeper at starting pitchers through every level of the organization—is Karns really evidence of this? Or starter Zach Duke? Best bench—all nonsense. Best bullpen—even as Rizzo destroyed it. The list goes on and on. Now we have post-game press conferences where we celebrate the new reliever phenom Davis—after ONE outing—and he promptly gets shelled next time out. Then it was Ian Krol—the bright spot of the loss. Back to the fat girl, it’s like her proudly telling her parents she didn’t have that 5th milkshake–that’s how important Davis and Krol really are in the big picture. In the 10-1 disaster’s post-game show, they celebrated Rendon making three routine plays on grounders—these were our VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS.The mismanagement of Harper’s injuries, combined with his randomized placement in corner outfield positions, was something hideous to watch. The young man was perfectly content in center field and said so. So what does Rizzo do? – Remove him from center. Then randomly put him in left or right, depending on that night’s need. And so he gets hurt—twice—playing right in unfamiliar parks. It is like watching the Taj Mahal defaced with indelible criminal clown graffiti.Something happened to the 2012 vibe. It is so entirely gone, so over, that, without irony, we sing Take On Me at the 7th inning stretch! Has anyone reflected on how pathetic that is? Burnett is gone, Kristina Akra is gone, Bo Porter is gone, and the fun is gone. Right before our eyes, Rizzo took a 98-win team and turned it into this.

28. Gonat - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Section 222 said… Mark's like Reagan cracking jokes in the hospital. Impressive. The Nats could use some good news today. I'm headed to the park and will look for 308 in, well, Section 308.______________________________I'm in Section 103 next to the bullpen in Row B Seats 1 to 6 with a bunch of NIers.

29. Gonat - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Next to their bullpen.

30. JaneB - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:39 PM

YIkes! Now MARK is on the DL, mend well!And GYFNG,

31. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:40 PM

do1teach1POTD!I hate to say…your post should re posted on about August 15 when the team is probably eliminated. we will get to most of the minor league players in September at least. I agree with you on Rizzo and whatever the Lerners decide to do with him, I am fine with. If he is back, let us see if he can right what he destroyed this season starting with putting in place a new medical staff and conditioning coaches and a solid managerThis would be the ideal time for the Nats to win all 3 this weekend and go 2 over 500 AT HOME!! If they lose this series….it is truly over in 2013

32. Drew - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:45 PM

I'm glad Mark's feeling better. Best wishes to Mark and Family Z. When someone asks about the scar, say "moray eel."

33. natsfan1a - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Now that's funny. Maybe check that all your joints are intact after the anesthesia wears off. Thanks for the game post, Chase.Mark Zuckerman @ZuckermanCSNThanks for well-wishes. Appendectomy went well. Maybe it was meds but could swear surgeon introduced self as Dr. James Andrews.

34. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Yeah, whatever on the post season thing. I don't know and neither do you. I will be watching today 's game . And tomorrow I will watch that one. Keeping it simple. Go Nats. Whatever the score I would like to see them play the game hard and fundamentally sound.

35. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:49 PM

do1teach1In terms of DC sports disasters, I would equate trading Morse on par with the following stupid moves made historically in DC sportsRedskins after the 1999 playoff season letting Brian Mitchell go. they sign washed up Jeff George and crap on future Super Bowl Champion QB Brad Johnson who played like an all pro in 1990Bullets trading Kevin Porter for Dave Bing after a 60 win season in 1975Obviously, the 1971 McClain dealI could on and on… the Haren deal showed me how bad the judgement of both Davey and Rizzo's are… this young man is lazy period, he does not prepare worth a darn for each outing, he looks uninterested out there and frankly he looks buzzed most of the time.

36. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:50 PM

meant 1999 on Johnson

37. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:53 PM

I thought we were on fix or ESPN today. So happy we are not!

38. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:53 PM

That would be. FOX.

39. natsfan1a - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Agreed.baseballswami said… I thought we were on fix or ESPN today. So happy we are not! June 08, 2013 2:53 PM

40. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:57 PM

I am with Swami.btw do you all know what Morse is doing with Ms? he isn't exactly having an MVP season that having him instead of Span would have put Nats in first place.

41. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:58 PM

I'm in Section 103 next to the bullpen in Row B Seats 1 to 6 with a bunch of NIers. SO I guess there's no chance of somebody helping me finish painting this bedroom today? Get well, Mark, we miss you.

42. natsfan1a - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:01 PM

I would, sec3, but I have to wash the cat. Some other time, perhaps.

43. Section 222 - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:02 PM

I hate to say…your post should re posted on about August 15 when the team is probably eliminated. It should also be reposted on Aug. 15 when the Nats are in a dogfight with the Braves for the NL East title, after Stras and Harper come back and they go on a tear. And I promise you, it will be.You're obviously entitled to your opinion, and you certainly have plenty of company here in your pessimism, but I doubt I was the only one who found the fat girl analogy offensive. That kind of nasty writing kind of reminds me of someone else who posts here. Yuck.

44. Section 222 - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:03 PM

I think we're one of the games on MLB network. No blackout implications.

45. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Seems like Mikey is doing ok but is dinged up on and off, here and there. Nothing major.

46. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Section 222 I did not post the fat girl… post for the record

47. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:04 PM

I was going to say Mark moved to the DL but when Mark comes back we will not option DFA Chase.Will be at the day game tomorrow ection 313Gio pitch great today.

48. Rabbit34 - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:08 PM

So, Gio has trouble with extra time off. Has trouble if it is a cloudy day and then the sun comes out, but only on Saturdays. The excuses for losing have already begun and the game hasn't started. But, why wait until after the game. These guys are just really bad.

49. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Nice try, 1A. But I've been told otherwise.

50. natsfan1a - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Eh, the sink was too small, anyway.

51. SonnyG10 - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:19 PM

do1teach1 and mick: Wow, that's quite a burdon you've been carrying around. Hope you feel a little bit better now.

52. EmDash - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Fat girl jokes! We're getting the exciting period where poor Mark will be unable to moderate off to an excellent start.This season will be no fun if we focus on whether and how they'll make the postseason, I think. Letting go of expectations has made things much more pleasant for me.

53. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Well, if the old Senators had been this awful, no one would be talking about how they remember so-and-so doing such-and-such. Kids won't learn baseball from or follow teams that don't win the World Series at least every other year–it's just no fun.

54. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:25 PM

EmDash, I agree. Life is much easier since I gave up hope.It took me years to realize that was what Yoda was talking about, with the "Do. Or do not. There is no 'try'."

55. Caps Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Do1overreact1, I don't think Rizzo had anything to do with Kristina Akra leaving.

56. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:27 PM

The sun is out and it's summer and there is baseball at Nat's Park. Good place to start.

57. SonnyG10 - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:30 PM

EmDash said…This season will be no fun if we focus on whether and how they'll make the postseason, I think. Letting go of expectations has made things much more pleasant for me.June 08, 2013 3:22 PMSame here EmDash. I let go of the expectations and I'm enjoying the season a lot more. Doesn't mean I don't root for them to go on a hot streak and make a run for the post season, but I'm not letting the Nats woes ruin my summer either.

58. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:30 PM

There are those of us love watching baseball. And there are those of us that love watching the Nats.And there are those of us that love the ebb and flow of any teams season.Then there are those that love to be miserable.I like associating with the first three. That fourth, not so much.

59. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Why do those who think we are so bad need to show up.I am assuming we will today 8-4

60. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:31 PM

And there are those of us with fat thumbs.

61. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:35 PM

"I spent ten bucks on this movie! If it doesn't win an Oscar, that money was wasted."

62. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:37 PM

And there are those of us with fat thumbs.Some of them quite surprised to see it, too

63. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:41 PM

I am the first two. Prefer coast to coast leading. As for the 4th i hate being misirble, but when hitters dont hit I find myself as misirble.

64. SCNatsFan - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Today might just be the day things start to click. Until they prove me wrong that's what I'm thinking.

65. JaneB - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Great post NatsJack. And yours of 3:35 made me snort wine,Sec 3. Hurts more than Diet Coke, as it happens. Dan Haren in not lazy. None of these guys are lazy, and that's just a fact. Whatever you want to say about them, "lazy" does not fit! But he IS dreamy, I will add that. And I know MicheleS agrees.

66. NatsLady - Jun 8, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Funny. I thought our season ended last year when I stood cold and miserable in the rain, and Fredi Gonzalez refused to let the umps call the game, and we blew a nine-run lead. Over, man, it was OH-VER.

67. NatsLady - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Actually, I didn't think the season was over, but I was pretty miserable and MAD at Davey!

68. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Interesting:Today, Johnson hinted that he felt he believed the plan to use Duke as the only lefty was doomed from the start.“I like it much better now than the way it set up earlier,” Johnson said. “At the major league level, you just have to have a strong left and right side of the bullpen. I like what those two youngsters have shown up here so far. It just takes the pressure off the right side of the bullpen. It’s unfortunate. We liked Zach Duke, but it’s unfortunate that it didn’t work out, turning from a starter to a reliever. But these two guys are more suited for that role than Zach Duke was.”

69. natsfan1a - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:54 PM

"Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is." — Bob FellerAlso, the game, or the season, is not over 'til it's over.

70. NatsLady - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Harvey left the Mets game with trainers. Came out for the 8th, threw a few warmup tosses and left. No word what happened.

71. NatsLady - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:57 PM

I hope Davey is just saying that to encourage the lefties. Because he was off traveling the world when Rizzo set up the bullpen. He gets on my nerves sometimes.

72. Knoxville Nat - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Harvey with some kind of lower back problem.

73. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Just saw Chelsea Desmond on the pre- game promoting the equipment drive. She is one special lady. No wonder Ian is so happy all the time! If you are going to the game tomorrow, bring something.

74. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Taking a mitt tomorrow

75. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Centerfield gate– 11:30- the third inning for the equipment drive. Also- you don't have to be going to the game, you can drop things off.

76. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Could've done without that double play Jayson…

77. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Werth's direction off meant to hit down the line.What a difference in the first. Gio 25 pitches Correia 9

78. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Our games are always so binary. 0000100010000. Lots of zeroes and a few ones. Would love to see some other numbers.

79. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Close, but an easy call. What the hell was ump looking at

80. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:30 PM

When was the last time Davey got tossed? It time?

81. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Nice feed by Rendon!

82. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:31 PM

The guy was just as safe the second time. Why call him out not safe like last guys.Just remembered how I hate umps

83. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Right David that is first time he fed second.

84. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:33 PM

So the kid can turn the DP! Now let's see some of that hitting.

85. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Why does Johnny Holliday call everything a line drive when it's clearly popped up?

86. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:34 PM

So I am noticing that the approaches at the plate have not improved with the days off.

87. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Zim throw on run good as usual

88. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Ian has always been a first pitch swinging type and I don't mind it usually. LaRoche got a pitch to hit but missed it, I think.

89. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Rendon! Good approach, take it the other way.

90. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Well, ok kid!

91. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Endon's approach fine, ball outside drive to right.

92. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:38 PM

David and I saw same thing

93. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:41 PM

First strike to Shark was inside, but the last strike quite hittable.37 pitches for Gio 24 for Korreia. Second inning not as bad as first.

94. UnkyD - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:43 PM

222@3:02….. Thank you, and Amen.

95. do1teach1 - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:46 PM

I didn't mean to give offense on this beautiful day, plus my computer-protection software is indicating my post got picked up by the NSA, so I do want to amend this paragraph:The Nats are like the (Reader Warning: metaphorical allusion ahead) overweight OAF looking ahead to a high school reunion. The (reader note: fictional) OAF has 90 days until the event, and figures if said OAF loses a pound a day, the non-actual being will be at 150 pounds for the reunion. Nats fans are seeing fanciful projections of what the team needs to do to win 90 or 95 game, but like the OAF, now a week before the reunion, having lost zero weight and thinking everything will be okay if the (reader reassurance: fictional character follows) OAF just loses 20 pounds a day, the Nats have absolutely no chance of winning high percentages of games from here on in. NO offense is intended to any oaf or oaves.

96. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Well I now whose posts to skip now…

97. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:50 PM

That inning is example of why Gio's pitch count gores up so fast.Irst 8 pitches quick and efficient, and then suddenly pitching all over and takes 8 more pitches to finish the inning.

98. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:50 PM

I like National League baseball, really I do, but these pitcher's duels are getting old. I feel like if the Nats score a run- anything at all– the angels will start singing and rainbows will appear over the stadium. Runs feel like tiny miracles.

99. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:52 PM

I hope not mine David.

100. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:54 PM

The runs are at a premium. Hitters need some guidanceabout how if you score more runs, your chances of winning much greater.

101. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:54 PM

And maybe, some day, a pitcher will have a bad day against us. It could happen.

102. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Not yours, MNF.

103. SCNatsFan - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:57 PM

I agree. Span has to go. Lead off hitter on with two outs has to try to steal.

104. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:57 PM

I think he got that one.

105. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:57 PM

JAYSON! Killed that.

106. RickH - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:57 PM

WERTH!!!

107. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:57 PM

That is better Jayson.

108. SCNatsFan - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Unless you can get Werth to hit a bomb

109. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:57 PM

I hear the angels!!!!

110. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Span stole the easy way

111. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Lead off hitter on with two outs has to try to steal. Tough break there, SCNF.

112. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Not trying to be biased or anything — is the strike zone a little inconsistent or are the guys looking for a gift?

113. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Zim off his hot streak? Was just above .300 now dropped to .274. Need to get backto the way he was up to the 3 homer game.

114. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:02 PM

That last one to Zim might have been outside, just judging by the tv.

115. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Strike zone seems about the same for both teams to me.

116. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:03 PM

There goes the real no hitter.

117. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:05 PM

LaRoche has to make that play. Not easy, but you need to do it.

118. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:05 PM

E-3 maybe on the first one, but HTF do you let Willingham score from first on that?

119. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:06 PM

That is a double play ball.

120. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:07 PM

LaRoche has let 4 grounders he should have fielded by him this home stand. Is he not healthy too?The Mets found the hole and kept hitting it tgere.This needed to be a shutdown inning. Already screwed up.

121. Exposremains - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:08 PM

STOP Nibbling

122. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Is McCatty waiting to late to come out again?

123. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Boooooooo. Cannot let them answer right away. Especially with miscues and error. BABIP hates us.

124. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:10 PM

How in the world are these balls getting through?

125. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Gio need Desi, ALR, et al to come out and slow him down.

126. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:10 PM

He is pulling a bad Stras screwing around after an error.Damn you Gio quit screwing around

127. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Keep it together, Gio. A ball off an infielder's glove, a ball through an infielder's legs, a walk and another ground ball, and he's tied again. Man.

128. Exposremains - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Really doesn't take much to rattle these pitchers

129. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Strike them out if you have to.

130. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Why are these balls getting through?? You have to admit that it's just weird. Now we need to score more runs. Need two outs first.

131. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:12 PM

This is NOT Gio's fault. He's gotten four outs already.Five.

132. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:12 PM

For being called good pitchers you are right, they do let errors bother them.High school pitchers have that problem and we have at least 2 pitchers who have same problem

133. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Manassas Nats' Fan said…Strike them out if you have to.June 08, 2013 5:11 PMHe heard you…

134. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Willingham's was just luck, off Zim's glove. Morneau hit a GIDP, and Dozier's was clean in the 5.5 hole because Zim was even with the bag, which is not unreasonable but it did cost them there.

135. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Yes, he has, but he has also walked a few already. He has to pick up his team now. They pick him up usually. He needs to bear down and get out ofthe inning.

136. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:14 PM

137. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:16 PM

I am starting to think the Nats need an exorcist instead of a new hitting coach.

138. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Johnny just all we need to know. correia averages 3 k every 9 innings and has 5 k in 10 out.That is the hitting approach we are talking about.

139. EmDash - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Granted, bottom of the order, but he pulled it back together eventually. Here's hoping be calms down back in the dugout. He probably will only be able to go 6, with a ceiling of 7, though.I know what the problem was, I was watching on channel 9. Never works out well. *g*

140. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:19 PM

The error not his fault, but like Stras he needs to bail fielders out and dudnt.I disagree. He got a ground ball–he can't control where it went. Then he struck out the next two guys. That's about all you can ask anybody.

141. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Anyone been watching the college ball? Some of those kids put together some smart, tough, at bats. I just do not understand what is happening. I find it very puzzling. Now I am just shameless and I want a pitcher to start walking us and serving up gopher balls. Just one game . I promise.

142. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:20 PM

That was inside to Rendon. Sigh.

143. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:21 PM

WHAT IS WITH the house-by-the-side-of-the-road with two strikes approach?? Gracious.

144. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:21 PM

I am guessing last pitch to Rendon looked inside.However now 6 k.

145. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:21 PM

146. Dan Strong - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:22 PM

That was an awful third strike call on Rendon.

147. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:23 PM

That was inside to Rendon. Sigh.And the one to Zim was probably outside. Lesson #3,284,109,202 in why it doesn't pay to have a better strike zone than the umpire.

148. BigCat - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Im not watching, but reading these posts it sounds like Eck's Marauders are flailing again

149. BigCat - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Just hard to watch our hitters anymore…..so I don't

150. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:24 PM

"At least the bullpen is rested. Soriano has not thrown a pitch in the month of June. Really. You can look it up."I suspect he'll pitch today no matter what. I know he doesn't like pitching "for work", but this is against an AL team he won't see again after this series.

151. Dan Strong - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Also, our guys like to treat these pitchers like young Roger Clemens.

152. EmDash - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:24 PM

They've adjusted from being too aggressive (going after first pitches, refusing to take a walk) to being more selective. They're just not identifying the pitches well. It's odd.

153. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:25 PM

This is so frustrating.

154. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Now THAT was a meatball.

155. Dan Strong - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Man… After a mistake this team just loves to sh*t the bed.

156. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Puzzling to be sure. Same guys as last season. Wow.

157. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Gio has always been prone to this throughout his career. The difference is we rarely saw it last year because the defense was so crisp.

158. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:30 PM

I thought that a home run. Bizarre camera angle.

159. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:30 PM

CANDYGRAM

160. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Did not move the runner.,

161. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Well Gio was given a lead and did not appreciate it too much did he.Back to my ALR point 4 balls have got by him this homstand. All were fiekdable all missed all cost us runs.Is he healthy or just a bad week.

162. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:33 PM

If Suzuki had, the the run would have scored. Now two outs.

163. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:33 PM

I think it's just a bad week. He's been hitting pretty well.

164. phil dunton - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Observation……since Ramos went down and Suzuki started catching every day, Suzuki has stopped hitting.

165. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Thanks Suzuki for nothing.Mauer a great play.

166. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:34 PM

167. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:35 PM

WOW. Now THAT was a great catch by Mauer.Now he's just showing off.

168. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:35 PM

169. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Second play by Mauer was Houdini like.

170. Dan Strong - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Yet another stranded…

171. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:39 PM

observations so far… Rendon has already justified playing ahead of Espi period.. grant it, teams do not have a book on him yet so that is why the rest of 2013 he should startwhat was Zim and ALR looking out on strike 3…pathetic at bats especially ALR after his error.Gio just is not mentally tough, his team gets 2 runs and verse a 26-31 team he blows it. Exception of J Zim, our pitchers are P—–s!!Roger who never hits, gets a lucky 2b and your lead off guy who should hit, whiffs ….2 mediocre teams playing, and we are the worst of the 2 that is realityvery sad From First to Worst

172. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:40 PM

hmm… I may have to get some First to Worst T-shirts printed up, by August, I could make a killing, lol

173. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:40 PM

"Roger who never hits, gets a lucky 2b and your lead off guy who should hit, whiffs …"Span is hitting .365 with RISP and 2 outs. He's not going to bat 1.000.

174. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:41 PM

I had a play a little like that, catching with a guy on second, and the pitch is way wild outside on a lefty, so the runner on second takes off for third. I jump up and start to spin around to my left to go get it, and the ball hit a pole in the backstop and rebounded perfectly, straight into my right hand, a little above belt high. Nailed the runner at third, and he came off the field mad at ME for being so ridiculously lucky. Which was pretty funny.

175. mick - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:42 PM

can not wait to read the excuses iin here, they are now a form of entertainment they are so comical"its early""its baseball""its 1 game""its injuries" (even though every other freaking MLB team has thembest excuse is simply: WE STINK

176. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:42 PM

The hitting approach kills the again Suzuki needs to advance runner and hits one ight to short. Boooooo.Gio flies iut Shark gets to third.Then the wild pitch some how Houdini caught it before it hit tge ground. Hundred times harder play than ALR' E-3 that should have been a double play.Why we dont have a winning record. Other teans out fiekd us . And we have terrible RISP.I thought Shark all the way as he didnt start fast early.

177. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Seems like we often have games where we have equal hits to the other team or more hits, but they have more runs. Another oddity I. This 2013 season. Now let's see how they handle a runner on second with no outs.

178. Dan Strong - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Let's see if the twins can pick up their leadoff double… My gut feeling is yes.

179. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:44 PM

We are playing stinkingly, i dont think we stink.That is why I am frustrated. If i thought we stunk, losing wouldn't bother me.

180. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Not the worst idea to walk this guy and setup the double play. Doubt he gives in though.

181. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:48 PM

You have got it right there. I know they are talented and hard working. Such an enigma. Watching them play badly hurts my heart. They do need to do the fundamentals better, though. Correct process until the results come.

182. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Johnny is an idiot

183. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Johnny Holliday is stupid.

184. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Uh, yeah, not a very stealthy pitch-out there, Johnny… Four in a row, in fact.

185. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:50 PM

A pitch out with 2 outs man on second with pitcher on deck. My god how stupid

186. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:51 PM

That is why I am frustrated. If i thought we stunk, losing wouldn't bother me. I'm tellin' ya, give up hope and just watch the games. The future doesn't exist, and nobody knows what will happen, especially in baseball, where nobody knows nothing.

187. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:51 PM

RISP. Twins 1 fir 6. Nats 0 for 4. The 1 is the difference in the game.

188. EmDash - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:51 PM

The RBI hit in the 4th was fluky, off Zimm' s glove. The Mauer homerun and the leadoff double seem like products of fatigue. I think mound presence is blinding people to the results and making it seem like a meltdown more than it is. Personally, I don't care how a guy's body language looks. It's about the results.Don't like the intentional walk there, but it worked…

189. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Now get the line moving

190. David Proctor - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Potomac Nationals ‏@PNats42 7sDetwiler has tossed 37 pitches, 24 for strikes. Potomac leads 4-1. Nationals scored four times in 1st frame. Detwiler has 3 K's going in 3rd

191. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I am really tired of the continuous pitch count tally. Carpenter does it somewhat. I can tell he has thrown a lot. Tell me once in a while , but otherwise can it.

192. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Ok Zim get me off your case

193. Dan Strong - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:54 PM

194. EmDash - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Zen and the art of watching baseball, sec 3. I like it. :)

195. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Swami I am the opposite I have sent MASN complaints I want it all the like lots if team do.

196. baseballswami - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Good news on Det!!! Now more of the same with the bats. Are we tipping our cap to the pitcher yet? He is just pitching a fantastic game. We are not helping him at all.

197. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:56 PM

RALR you owe us

198. Dan Strong - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:56 PM

How exactly has one of our aces thrown 114 pitches to 75 for the other guy?

199. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:58 PM

I believe opposing team starters have pitched good against us 80-85% of yhe time.We are the common donominator

200. EmDash - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:58 PM

I wish MASN showed the pitch count all game like a lot of channels, personally. It's a big part of modern baseball strategy.They're not saying anyone is warming up. Surely Gio's not coming out for the 7th right?