Game 60: Twins at Mets

Jun 8, 2013, 5:13 PM EDT

Photo by USA Today

Chase here posting the game thread today as Mark is actually recovering from getting his appendix removed. He had the procedure today and might need a few days. I am not able to attend the game today as well because of prior commitments, but I will be back on the beat tomorrow for the doubleheader.

After two games being postponed, Gio Gonzalez (3-3, 3.64 ERA) will finally take the mound for his first start since June 1. Throughout his career he has had trouble with extra time off, going 7-8 with a 4.85 on six or more days of rest. Gio also has an unfortunate history with the Twins with a 2-3 record and 7.80 ERA in six career starts.

Pitching for Minnesota is veteran right-hander Kevin Correia (5-4, 4.09 ERA). The 32-year-old has faced the Nats 13 times in his career, including six starts, and holds a 3.33 ERA against the club.

Enjoy the game…

Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 4:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, WUSA-9, MLB Network,
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 185
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 75 degrees

CF Denard Span
RF Jayson Werth
1B Adam LaRoche

1. SonnyG10 - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:33 AM

Gonat said…It would be nice to bring up Brown and Marrero and send TyMo to AAA and Tracy to find Matt Stairs.June 08, 2013 11:13 PMI wouldn't be surprised to see that happen, gonat. I think Rizzo will keep trying things to snap the team out of this funk they're in.

2. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:33 AM

Sec 3, you mean Uggla and Medlen have the solo HRs.

3. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:34 AM

How come our Cuban the worse signed recently. As for the diuble play they did a hit and run ibstead. I couldn't believe Zim could get out at second since hitter was running.

4. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:36 AM

SonnyG10, it would also help for some consistency in the middle of the order with their bats and gloves.

5. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:38 AM

MarkI will let it go after this because frankly, it is not worth it, the double standard and all..but why is the below post not deleted? I never attacked this dude ONCE and below is his post, who is he or anyone to call some one a loser?NatsJack in Florida said…No attack here mick. I just know what losers sound like and you really do your best trying to sound like one.

6. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:39 AM

If you watched the Braves game in the 1st inning Andrelton Simmons got a hit and Heyward in the 2 hole tried to bunt him to 2nd and was lucky Fife couldn't throw a strike and he was walked. Justin Upton in the 3 hole then sacrificed both over. Yes, Justin Upton.

7. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:40 AM

Gonat, thank you, yes. I meant Uggla, of course. The Sofa regrets the error.

8. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:40 AM

Justin Upton has SERIOUSLY cooled off.

9. Section 222 - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:40 AM

Wow, what a throw by Puig. Sick!It was great to see sjm308 and his son at the park today. I wondered what happened to him when I turned around to look for him late in the game since I've never known him to abandon the Nats before the last out, and I'm very glad to hear his daughter in law and grandson are ok. That's scary, and certainly puts things in perspective.The game was disappointing to say the least. So many chances to take the lead. Span had some nice hits, but the two times he came up with a man on third he couldn't produce. Great to see that strong throw across the diamond from Zim. That was sure unexpected.At least our game didn't go 18 or 20 innings. Holy smokes!!I will admit I enjoyed the concert after the game more than I expected. Don't understand why more food stands didn't stay open after the game. They could have made a lot of money off of all the ravenous Nats fans roaming around looking for dinner. Tomorrow's a new day everyone.

10. mick - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:42 AM

back to the hockey game

11. Joe Seamhead - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:43 AM

12. SonnyG10 - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:46 AM

I'm the holder of one of the rain checks from Friday, so I plan to be at the park tomorrow night. Looking for a couple of wins tomorrow.

13. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:48 AM

Section 222, we left before the concert ended and got some food a the McD's around the corner. We got on the GW Parkway and along comes Jayson Werth driving the Parkway in his Porsche next to us and then pulled in front of us and hit the gas pedal. My buddy video'd it. We were going a little fast…..

14. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:49 AM

As Janis Joplin once said, "It's all the same [AB] day, man."some things don't change

15. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:49 AM

Sonny I will be at game 1. I assume after tomorrow night we will be back at .500

16. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:52 AM

Joe Seamhead said… Wow. I have been cutting way back on posting. I think I really liked one of our regulars more when he was drinking, if in fact he actually quit. I don't get the anger. Man, come on. We're seriously banged up. Put in perspective. June 08, 2013 11:43 PM ____________________________________Yep, you are right it's perspective. Mick has to know that we all see the deficiencies and it's how you say it. The world isn't ending. This team will figure it out. Rendon for Espi was a good start. Team needs Harper and Ramos back and of course Stras and Det.

17. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:08 AM

Gonat, you need to upload that video! haha

18. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:14 AM

wow what a throw! reminds me of ichiro's throw against terence long in his first season here. well done puig!

19. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:14 AM

20. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:16 AM

David Proctor said… Gonat, you need to upload that video! haha June 09, 2013 12:08 AM _______________________________I will get him to send it to me. I wish the radio wasn't on as the hum of his engine was like music.Here's what it looks like although I'm sure his is a newer model:

21. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:19 AM

very exciting player. best wishes to this dude.MNF, saw your post. I am hoping the trip to Rockies will wake the lineup like last season. overall pitching can use some consistency.

22. Gonat - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:22 AM

David Proctor, check this out, here's an actual pic of Jayson Werth's Porsche:

23. SonnyG10 - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:30 AM

Can't wait to hear the results of Harp's visit with Dr. Monday. Sure hope we can get him back soonest. Even if the season is lost, I want to see respectability out of our team. Don't want the other teams to think we are pushovers.

24. SonnyG10 - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:37 AM

Good night folks. Long day of baseball watching tomorrow.

25. Section 222 - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:37 AM

Faraz, I thought of that exact throw. Wasn't Ichiro's in his first game as a Mariner? Similar distance, and both were on a fly too. Amazing.Gonat, very cool story about Werth and his Porsche. We managed to get food at the chicken and ribs stand (got the last order of chicken I think). But the tension as we waited in line and tried to sort out what was available and what was sold out was like the bottom of the 9th of tight game.

26. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:49 AM

Section 222, I was not sure so I checked it out. it was his 8th game of that is a highlight for folks to refresh their memories: am using this video because this has the side way angle shows the exact location.I have noticed that his throws were much flatter before. like a strike, they would arrive at their targets.I realize that the guys he is throwing out, aren't the fastest runners but the throws are so sexy.It is tough to see him struggle these days.

27. NatsLady - Jun 9, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Thanks, Faraz. Someone should make up one of those for Ankiel–or maybe they did.Two games today. Not sure quite what to do in between… Denard Span said it right. We should be making hay off these No. 4-5 pitchers. Kershaw, Greinke, OK, you might squeak out a win. But we should be killing the Dillon Gee-types and we're not. Dan Haren has the highest HR rate (2.00 per 9) of all qualified pitchers, but I don't see how he doesn't pitch in Colorado. Just hope he has the great control that day and they don't put bat to ball. Guys, don't press. Play your game, get hits.

28. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 9, 2013 at 11:28 AM

So I stand corrected and thanks for the link. I've never seen a 26th man added when it wasn't for an added starter or at least a bull pen guy that freed up a starter.

29. baseballswami - Jun 9, 2013 at 11:51 AM

As for Moore- he did not bat today and so was not the goat. Who knows what's going on next? The regulars are just not putting it together so it's hard to blame the fringe guys. Seems like when they hit, it's in different innings and not all together. When we pitch, we don't hit and vice versa. We scored three, up from zero or one, but pitching could not hold it- defense? Puzzling. When some other teams struggle defensively, they come in early for extra infield. Just sayin. No one should be too good for that. We shall see what the new day brings on the field and up around here.

30. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I believe pitching would improve if they didn'think ever single pitch was a deal breaker.Meaning hitters need to wake up and hit like a playoff team and quit hitting like a 14th place team.Colrado woke them last year.

As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...

FRI: 5:30 p.m.

*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at Click here for past audio clips.